Ask Super Part 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Then I know you know that neither JR nor PR have a southern accent.

"Holdon, the phrase "good Southern common sense" is not meant to be derogatory to anyone."

You didn't write the ransom note, therefore you can't know what was implied. You're not able to tell us what it meant. The adjective 'good' preceding 'southern' adds to and does not subtract from my claim that it is a derogatory statement. Think of it as sarcasm, which shouldn't be too hard.

Actually, I wasn't referring to the ransom note when I said that. I thought it was meant as sarcasm in the note. Sorry if I misled you.

I knew Patsy was not prepared for my news, so I asked her a question to prepare her. “How would you like to move to Colorado?”

“Why do you ask?” she replied. “What do you have in mind?”

“The Board couldn’t agree on any of the applicants, and they asked me if I’d take the job. I told them I’d give it my best shot.”

“You took the job?” Patsy asked. I could tell by the tone of her voice that she was hesitant to leave the South. We had talked many times of raising our children in a southern lifestyle with lasting roots, a sense of family values, and a culture that runs deep. Patsy was unsure of my decision, but later she agreed. Initially, we only intended to be in Colorado a couple of years, but that time line ultimately expanded into five years.
-DOI pages 133-134

The little town of Boulder had its own charm. Many places had a western flavor and most of the town was well preserved with a unique look; however, some parts of town were pretty rundown. Newer, larger houses were generally located a good distance from town. We really wanted to live in the town of Boulder proper; Atlanta suburban life had shown us the problem of having to spend hours and hours driving to go somewhere. By living inside Boulder’s city limits, we would be able to take advantage of small town compactness. The problem was that most of the in-town houses were older and had not been taken care of over the years.

We must have looked at a hundred houses in the course of the next six months. Joel showed me everything from old worn-down shacks priced at several hundred thousand to the new big ones miles from town, which seemed to be out on the prairie. During our months of searching, we covered virtually everything that was on the market in Boulder. Joel would show me places that looked like they were ready to fall down. “They just need a little fixing up,” he’d assure me, and then quote a selling price of four hundred thousand dollars. There was no yard, no trees, and junk cars parked in the next-door neighbor’s side yard. I would come back to the apartment and cry. This was not Atlanta.

Southerners take great pride in their homes, entertain frequently, and go so far as naming them in some cases. I got the feeling that a Colorado home seemed mostly to be a place for a shower, a night’s sleep, and then a quick exit to the next outdoor activity. Not a bad way of living, I suppose, just different from the way I’d been used to.

The people also seemed very different from southerners. Many Boulder public officials and citizens seemed to pride themselves in being on the cutting edge of progressive causes, like the environment, the welfare of the poor, China’s human relations policies, independence for Tibet, and the rights of homosexuals, bisexuals, and transvestites. These people claimed to be very tolerant, but that tolerance only seemed to extend to those who held similar views.

I soon noticed there were no fur coats in politically correct Boulder. Capitalism was bad, and self-expression was good. People joked that the Boulder city council had a secretary of state for conducting its business, and people from Denver often referred to Boulder as the “Republic of Boulder, twenty square miles surrounded by reality.” Almost every car had a bumper sticker with a message of some kind. But what a beautiful spot. We were seduced.
-DOI pages 63-64

Because the Ramsey family’s heritage is Scottish, a bagpiper and drummer in full regalia preceded the nine bridesmaids into the sanctuary. Stewart’s middle name is McLendon, after his Scottish ancestors, so the bagpipe music also honored his heritage.

I wore a black, full-length satin ball gown because Melinda had wanted the evening wedding to be very formal. The National Enquirer later reported that I wore a pink-and-white checked suit with white shoes! Didn’t they know that no self-respecting southern lady would be caught in white shoes after Labor Day?
-DOI, page 323

Here we go:

http://www.nndb.com/people/935/000044803/

snipped:
"
After his mother's death in the mid-1960s, John Ramsey's father married his wife's mother, Irene Pasch, making her both his grandmother and his mother-in-law until his 1978 divorce."

There is a very noticeable mistake in that snip. It would not have made her his grandmother, but his stepmother as well as his mother in law!

And now I know why the obit read as it did. Irene remarried after husband's death and that made her and her new husband, the step-granparents Richard and Irene Wills.

Sorry for the off topic stuff!

"No, I don't think we can assume that. It's one of the tricky parts of American English. We have "The South," but not everyone remembers the rule about "southern" vs. "Southern."

Let me help you out with this. This is my way of showing respect for all things Southern. I'm very proud of my heritage and it has nothing to do with the way it "should" be done.
You said it, Southern Sistah!!!

I don't know where to start, Beck. I never knew his Pa and Wife #1's Ma were Mr. and Mrs!

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was JR's mom that married his ex-wife's dad. (I thought JR's dad had passed away.) In the meantime I will search DOI to find out for sure.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was JR's mom that married his ex-wife's dad. (I thought JR's dad had passed away.) In the meantime I will search DOI to find out for sure.

Hey Zak! See post # 123.
thanks
Becky

I found it and you guys were correct. JR's dad married his ex-wife Lucinda's mom.

Early last November, there was a surprise birthday party for Patsy. Her birthday is in late December, but the family was going to be back east, so the party was in November. Priscilla White organized the entire thing. John told her, “Wherever you want it to be—the sky’s the limit.”

We all met at the Safeway Shopping Center and were loaded into a large bus—all kinds of people. Nedra, Don, John, Patsy’s sisters, the Whites, Walkers, Stines, Fernies, Reverend Rol Hoverstock, and Patsy’s entire softball team. Then the bus drove to their home and parked while John went up to the door. Patsy was flabbergasted.

“Should I change?” were her first words.

“No, no, come along right now,” he told her.

Lots of laughing. Patsy didn’t have a clue where we were going. Patsy and John sat in the back. There was an open bar.

At the Brown Palace in Denver, we had a private room. Fifty people. A band called the 4-Nikators. Sit-down dinner, open bar, huge bottles of Dom Perigon, and even cigars on the tables for everyone. Patsy was striding around big as life, puffing on a cigar like she owned the place.

The MC was a guy in drag—tiara, fluffy fur around his collar. Talked in a southern accent and did a monologue on Patsy—the Patsy Paugh Experience, from birth to the present. The family must have coached him. Lots of in-jokes and innuendo that I didn’t understand. Then at midnight we were back on the bus. Patsy opened her presents on the way back. Everyone else was dropped off along the way, and Patsy and John were left alone on the bus.

That was probably the last time I saw JonBenét alive. Early that evening, before we left Patsy and John’s home, both kids got on the bus to say hello to their grandparents and their aunts and uncles.—Judith Phillips
PMPT pages 249 - 250

Early last November, there was a surprise birthday party for Patsy. Her birthday is in late December, but the family was going to be back east, so the party was in November. Priscilla White organized the entire thing. John told her, “Wherever you want it to be—the sky’s the limit.”

We all met at the Safeway Shopping Center and were loaded into a large bus—all kinds of people. Nedra, Don, John, Patsy’s sisters, the Whites, Walkers, Stines, Fernies, Reverend Rol Hoverstock, and Patsy’s entire softball team. Then the bus drove to their home and parked while John went up to the door. Patsy was flabbergasted.

“Should I change?” were her first words.

“No, no, come along right now,” he told her.

Lots of laughing. Patsy didn’t have a clue where we were going. Patsy and John sat in the back. There was an open bar.

At the Brown Palace in Denver, we had a private room. Fifty people. A band called the 4-Nikators. Sit-down dinner, open bar, huge bottles of Dom Perigon, and even cigars on the tables for everyone. Patsy was striding around big as life, puffing on a cigar like she owned the place.

The MC was a guy in drag—tiara, fluffy fur around his collar. Talked in a southern accent and did a monologue on Patsy—the Patsy Paugh Experience, from birth to the present. The family must have coached him. Lots of in-jokes and innuendo that I didn’t understand. Then at midnight we were back on the bus. Patsy opened her presents on the way back. Everyone else was dropped off along the way, and Patsy and John were left alone on the bus.

That was probably the last time I saw JonBenét alive. Early that evening, before we left Patsy and John’s home, both kids got on the bus to say hello to their grandparents and their aunts and uncles.—Judith Phillips
PMPT pages 249 - 250

Wow, Cynic. That just strikes me as so sad. Sounds like she had a wonderful birthday, just to be followed by the worst day of her life.

I need to find a source within the family (not ST or LHP please) that says that the family teased him about being southern.
It was his voice in the ransom note and her hands. I can see it in my mind. She’s sitting there. We need paper, we need a note. He’s dictating and she’s doing. Like he’s almost snapping his fingers. She grabbed her notepad and her felt-tip pen. That is not her language. But the essence of her is there, like the percentages: “99% chance” and “100% chance.” That is how she talked because of her cancer or how you talk when you are around someone with cancer. And the phrase “that good southern common sense of yours.” John wasn’t from the South, but Patsy and Nedra always teased him about being from the South.—Linda Wilcox
PMPT, page 630

sound like anyone you know? Patsy in Gone with the Wind.She would have been perfect:

"As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demee
Back