AUS - Khandalyce Kiara Pearce, Wynarka, Bones of a Child Discovered, July'15 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no issue with mobile phone coverage in that area.
In fact, along all major transport routes in Australia, mobile phone coverage is great.
So is TV reception.
Wynarka is a very small place but hardly isolated, being 30 mins form a large town and 1.5 hrs drive from the capital.
And there is no sea nearby so nobody is living in boats there.

I live in the country in Tennessee, USA and we have hollows or valleys blocking reception in low lying areas. Tv reception went due to the new hd, so you have old fashioned tv reception, and that means everyone is likely well informed. Yeah, we live just near enough the lake , but not an ocean. The lake alone invites trouble, imagine an ocean within a few miles. It still opens the door to international people to have lost this little girl.

Paraphrasing from the article at the link below.

It's possible that something happened earlier this year to prompt whoever was responsible for hiding the body to move it. They stuffed the clothing and the skeleton into the suitcase and removed it from it's original hiding place.

What was the catalyst for this move? Perhaps they were moving house and were worried that the body would be found by others once they left. They could have been nervous about the publicity regarding the prosecution of other child killers. Daniel Morcombe's killer Brett Cowan's Supreme Court appeal failed in May of this year. In April of this year there was a spate of fresh publicity about William Tyrrell's abduction in September of last year. Either or neither may have been enough to spook a child killer.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/andrew-rule-behind-mystery-of-girl-in-suitcase-at-wynarka-south-australia/story-fni0fee2-1227485075838

Thanks Jane. Being such a small town, there may just be an agent for Australia Post operating out of their own residence.

Yes, and it looks like quite a nicely kept house - fit for 'public' use.

You live 2 hours from the ocean, and you think you are inland? It's not realistic, and then you say the child is from off the grid, meaning undocmented, but you think it's unreasonable to say it could be an documented foreign immigrant?

What are you referring to browneyedsusan?

The picture that won't load of the luggage. Everytime they click the picture, they have to close the page, but if you hover your mouse over the pic, and then right click, it will give you the option to open it up in it's own tab and won't lose your spot where you are viewing.

You live 2 hours from the ocean, and you think you are inland? It's not realistic, and then you say the child is from off the grid, meaning undocmented, but you think it's unreasonable to say it could be an documented foreign immigrant?

From the lay of the land (and my limited memory of a trip to Australia) I think it looks like anywhere from a 6 - 12 hour *drive* from the coast to Wynarka.

I think, there are irrigation channels in the region (eg near flower farms)? Maybe, the suitcase was dumped there for a while? Where exactly of course would be the next question.

There are several cement factories in the Gillman area which is close to Wingfield dump.

Just saying!

The case might have been a bit shabby and faded when it was picked up. It has obviously had far more than three months' exposure.

From the lay of the land (and my limited memory of a trip to Australia) I think it looks like anywhere from a 6 - 12 hour *drive* from the coast to Wynarka.

It's around 130kms to the sea from Wynarka. That's an hour and a half drive. Not really very far at all.

It's around 130kms to the sea from Wynarka. That's an hour and a half drive. Not really very far at all.

Oh thanks! I don't know what I thought I saw but it didn't look a straight shot to the sea from anywhere around there.

It's worth keeping in mind that Wynarka is really not very isolated. It's only an hour's drive from Adelaide. In Australia this is not considered to be isolated. Being in the middle of the desert with no one for 1500km in any direction - that sort of thing is the kind of isolation Australia can dish up. This is a small town, yes, but not far from a big city. Also not far from the main freeway, or from Murray Bridge which is quite a big town.

I live 30 minutes from the coast and consider myself inland. If we can step out our front gate onto the beach then that's coastal, if you have to cross a damn road to get there then your definitely living in the hinterland :)
"documented foreign immigrant" I think most of us would have to stop and consider what that phrase actually means.

I am looking forward to reading this piece, and thanks to BlissPerth and others who have summarized parts of it.

It will be interesting to see the sources - if given - for the information it contains, considering the fact that there have been no press conferences this week and no mention of the case on the Sapol website (as afar as I can see - please correct me if I am wrong.)

Hi all, new here. Found via some internetting today that Haolailh label, if made in China, could have been aimed for Arabic market? Hao means 'good' in Chinese and 'lailah' means "night" in Arabic. Given that label was in pyjamas I believe, this seems quite a plausible translation, especially if made in China and they mispelled Lailah as Lailh. What do you think? Might have similar translations in other languages too, but these are the ones I came across

Haven't even finnished reading the article yet ... blown away with some things..coinky dinks or what...

Hi - Wynarka is about 2 hours from the coast (I am familiar with the murray/ Adelaide hills area)

Hi all, new here. Found via some internetting today that Haolailh label, if made in China, could have been aimed for Arabic market? Hao means 'good' in Chinese and 'lailah' means "night" in Arabic. Given that label was in pyjamas I believe, this seems quite a plausible translation, especially if made in China and they mispelled Lailah as Lailh. What do you think? Might have similar translations in other languages too, but these are the ones I came across

Hello, Enygma. Your post interests me because I have been teaching in language schools for a number of years, dealing with people from all sorts of linguistic and cultural backgrounds. I am not familiar at all with Chinese, though I do know some Arabic and 'Lailah' is certainly a word for night. Not sure where the child and the pineapple would come into that, but that's something else!

One general thing I would say about translations is that we have to remember that as native English speakers - as most of us are on this board - we are looking at things from an English mindset.

How a native speaker of a different language, be it Chinese or any other language , might hear, interpret, or choose to render in transliterated form words foreign to them, is another matter entirely.

We have to know a great deal about the linguistic and cultural nuances and sensitivities that relate to all the particular languages involved in an exercise like that to be able to make sense of the logic behind it all. Different alphabets can have letters that represent sounds unique to that language and that don't relate directly or even indirectly to letters in other alphabets, so even at a very basic level it's not a simple exercise.

So in other words, I think it is extremely difficult for an English speaker who does not know Chinese well to guess at what a Chinese speaker - who may or may not have been properly familiar with Arabic, who knows - may have been thinking with regard to the word Haolaith, Lailah - or anything else.

Haven't even finnished reading the article yet ... blown away with some things..coinky dinks or what...

Thanks, puggle - I can't wait to have a look at it! Anything you can tell us at this point?

I am actually a local from the murray mallee area, its considered inland, very hot and dry. we have the murray running through the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lotsofelbowd