AUS - Khandalyce Kiara Pearce, Wynarka, Bones of a Child Discovered, July'15 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you, i have a flight case the same size and roughly the same age i bought it in 2006 i think?, It was sat outside my dads garden shed for atleast a year and a half in all sorts of weather with tools in it. During winter it was completely covered with clover, you couldn't even see it in the grass. During summer it had full sun on it. And it looks no where near as rough as the case found. Different materials will be degrade quicker but anyway you can have a look, i pulled it out my shed where its been for the last year and took some snaps of it for comparison.

View attachment 80042

View attachment 80043

View attachment 80044

That's brilliant.
It certainly shows that the black suitcase didn't degrade this much in 3 months on the side of the road where it wasn't even in full sun but under a canopy of trees.
So if suitcase-man transported it, it would have looked obviously faded and battered.
Yet the witnesses say he was carrying a lack case, so either it is unrelated our the black case was concealing this faded case.

I think it could be highly possible FG.
It could be a similar effect to a liquorice bar, it was black but would dye tongues and lips blue.
(Choo Choo Bars for us golden oldy Aussies who might remember)

Do I see a sample of the lining sitting on the top of the suitcase?
I notice even the zipper has faded to blue. :thinking:

This looks very similar to what happened to an old suitcase of mine. Left in the garage for years, the elements were not very kind and it ended up looking weather beaten and almost bleached. My suitcase was originally a very dark grey, but maybe there was a tag inside Angel's with a product code that links it to being originally black.

Hello, Enygma. Your post interests me because I have been teaching in language schools for a number of years, dealing with people from all sorts of linguistic and cultural backgrounds. I am not familiar at all with Chinese, though I do know some Arabic and 'Lailah' is certainly a word for night. Not sure where the child and the pineapple would come into that, but that's something else!

One general thing I would say about translations is that we have to remember that as native English speakers - as most of us are on this board - we are looking at things from an English mindset.

How a native speaker of a different language, be it Chinese or any other language , might hear, interpret, or choose to render in transliterated form words foreign to them, is another matter entirely.

We have to know a great deal about the linguistic and cultural nuances and sensitivities that relate to all the particular languages involved in an exercise like that to be able to make sense of the logic behind it all. Different alphabets can have letters that represent sounds unique to that language and that don't relate directly or even indirectly to letters in other alphabets, so even at a very basic level it's not a simple exercise.

So in other words, I think it is extremely difficult for an English speaker who does not know Chinese well to guess at what a Chinese speaker - who may or may not have been properly familiar with Arabic, who knows - may have been thinking with regard to the word Haolaith, Lailah - or anything else.

I'd been looking at Hawaiian words as there are limited letters in the Hawaiian alphabet. And the pineapple of course. Which is interesting thinking what *were* they thinking? Who knows, maybe they didn't realize it was Arabic? At any rate, the "good night" sure makes sense. Half the time I can barely guess what other English speakers are talking about, LOL!

here is a paraphased version of the news story, sorry its not great

the Beaumont children. Truro. The Family. Snowtown. Now there’s Wynarka and the little girl in the suitcase, the latest addition to South Australia’s back-catalogue of horror stories.
if police can manage to get dna they will match it against sex offenders on record,
South Australia’s major crime squad has made an educated guess that the person they want is in their state, most likely within close range.

Taskforce Mallee has begun the investigation by doorknocking every house within 25km of Wynarka. Conscious not to miss vital clues or leave gaps that the guilty can wriggle through, detectives are taking their time, cross-referencing each inquiry so nothing is missed and nothing is left to chance.

Investigators are not revealing all they know about what happened to the child because they have to keep some vital detail secret. Something only the killer knows and timewasters dont know

Police know the victim was a little under a metre tall and had shoulder-length fair hair. They know that as long as seven years ago she died extremely violently, almost certainly murdered. Certain fractures suggest she was bashed to death. A defence lawyer might argue that such injuries could be accidental — but why would anyone would hide the body of a child who died in a genuine accident?
The killer or someone close to him or her then covered the body in a pile of clothes, maybe in an empty room, a cupboard or a shed. Then they left it for years long enough to be reduced to a skeleton.

Then, probably early this year, something happened to prompt the person to move the body, were they jittery because of recent prosecution of child killers, or the brilliant detection of Daniel Morcombe’s killer — Brett Peter Cowan — generated nationwide publicity after Cowan’s Supreme Court appeal failed in May this year. In April there was a spate of fresh publicity about William Tyrell’s abduction in northern NSW last September.any of these things may spark fear in a child killer.maybe they were moving house.
people may be tempted to assume the case was thrown from a vehicle but their strongest clue is the man with the suitcase seen in wynarka between march and may,
WYNARKA township has about eight permanent residents. Early one morning this year, roughly a quarter of the population — Denise Edwards and Monica Martin — were walking their dogs when they saw something that stuck in their minds,it was a man aged about 60 with short grey hair, lightly built neat looking, the unusual thing is that he was carrying a large suitcase, rather than wheeling it, he wasnt struggling with it,it seemed light, he seemed to be a man on a mission
was close enough to see both women but he made no eye contact and no greeting, unusual in the country. There was no sign of how he had appeared in the street but it seemed unlikely he had walked all the way from some other area. It seemed likely that either a vehicle had dropped him there, or he had walked from relatively close by.
police say if he arrived by vehicle he could have come from anywhere
investigators are eliminating the most obvious possibility: that the man came from one of the former farmhouses rented cheaply to transient tenants who come to the backblocks to escape their unhappy pasts
Some outsiders use the empty houses for their drug use or there are cases like the inbred family who moved from nz to rural areas including south australia
That family, product of three generations of incest over 40 years, No outsiders would have known if one of the dozen feral children in the family had died — or been killed.

As forensic experts do their best to extract usable DNA from the tiny bones, the investigators have been chasing leads on the clothes and the quilt found with the suitcase — and the case itself.
the clothing is cheap brands with origins of most of the 50 items identified, but some neo yet,
one is “Sally”. Others are “Miss X Australia”, “HF” and “Gaf”. The oddest one looks like HAOLAILH, printed on the tag in uneven capitals, Perhaps the most intriguing clue is the quilt. It is a “one-off”, apparently homemade from mostly hexagonal patches of brightly patterned material but machine-stitched, not hand sewn.
the lanza brand suitcase is another clue with the Lanza brand being “budget” quality. Lanza is the cheapest line of the brands sold by the national luggage retail chain, Strandbags.

Police have learned that the store “gave away” a large number of the suitcases for as little as $9 each several years ago, the bag could have been picked up from kerbside cleanup, charity shop, or from the tip.
The suitcase is variously described as “faded blue” or “grey”, although police have used a black model to use for publicity purposes. Whatever its original colour, it looks as if it was severely weathered before the clothes and the bones were put in it.

The police suggest the Lanza was sold exclusively by Strandbags outlets at Murray Bridge, McLaren Vale, Rundle Mall, Salisbury and Elizabeth. The question of whether it could have been bought in Renmark or Mt Gambier or over the border in Mildura or Warrnambool — or at any of the other dozen or more stores in Victoria — remains unanswered.
he neat man with the suitcase seems the strongest lead, with every day that he fails to come forward to clear himself confirms him as a better suspect.
Police have spoken to more than a dozen witnesses who saw a man matching the description of the “suitcase man” in the Wynarka district during the autumn.

Two specific sightings were on April 13 and May 26.

Thank you bearbear!! You did an awesome job 😊 very interesting when he said autumn does that mean Sep -Oct 2014?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Great job bearbear!!! bearbear=Verified journalist?

Regarding autumn down under:
Southern Hemisphere: Spring: 1 September to 30 November Summer: 1 December to 28 February Autumn: 1 March to 31 May Winter: 1 June to 31 August

Thank you bearbear!! You did an awesome job �� very interesting when he said autumn does that mean Sep -Oct 2014?

Autumn is March to May for those of us in Australia :)

From the lay of the land (and my limited memory of a trip to Australia) I think it looks like anywhere from a 6 - 12 hour *drive* from the coast to Wynarka.

The mapquest said about 2 hours to Wynarka from Adelaide. By car from Murrey or that direction 45 minutes.

I live 30 minutes from the coast and consider myself inland. If we can step out our front gate onto the beach then that's coastal, if you have to cross a damn road to get there then your definitely living in the hinterland :)
"documented foreign immigrant" I think most of us would have to stop and consider what that phrase actually means.

If there is such close distance from the ocean, why is it so unreasonable to think the child is a foreign child and rather think it was a child born undocumented which seems to me quite rare. There are likely births in America undocumented in rural areas too, but it's a father stretch to assume it.

I wonder how many camel patterns were used on the child blanket and if it could mean something of the child's ethnicity. I saw the "sphinx" pattern and then there is the black camel no detail accept a line drawing of a heart at its tail pattern, or do you mean both are the same? I assumed two different ones. A baby blanket might have been inspired by the family's heritage.

Also the Dora the Explorer as an American only cartoon would mean the child has American roots. A caucasian child like from Turkey or other blondish countries in the middle east might be a clue.

Just saying as we have nothing, what other things might we look at as clues to build a child's profile?

This is all opinion, not facts, so don't quote me as a liar. I'm thinking of my own theories.

Ok that makes sense, that is spring to us. [emoji5] thank you!

If there is such close distance from the ocean, why is it so unreasonable to think the child is a foreign child and rather think it was a child born undocumented which seems to me quite rare. There are likely births in America undocumented in rural areas too, but it's a father stretch to assume it.

I think it's about understanding the geography that is unique to Australia. We do have refugees arriving in Australia by boat but they arrive from the north. There is nothing south of Australia except for Antarctica. Sailing around Australia in secret to disembark (again secretly) on the southern coast, is dangerous and unheard of. The cheap boats asylum seekers have to access would never make it.

Australia is a very different country from the US with different social issues. In comparison to other countries, the notion of an undocumented birth by an illegal immigrant at sea in the circumstances you describe (in the part of the country you would describe) would have to be very, very unlikely. That is probably why I, as an Australian, can't really buy into it. If they child was an undocumented immigrant, the reasons she was killed probably have nothing to do with immigration and everything to do with family violence and child abuse.

Also I work in child protection and I commonly receive referrals for placement of babies (not newborn) whose births have never been registered. People with big problems in their lives, such as drug addiction, routinely struggle to remember what they are supposed to do. Births are not registered at the hospital, they are registered in the weeks after by filling out documents, taking them to the court house etc, It would not be a surprise to me that the child's birth was unregistered, I would note however that there is not yet an indication that the child's birth was unregistered. I expect the police are not yet in a position where they have to track down the thousands upon thousands of little girls born between 2003 and 2012 (as they did in the case of Tegan Lane).

Also the Dora the Explorer as an American only cartoon would mean the child has American roots. A caucasian child like from Turkey or other blondish countries in the middle east might be a clue.

Actually Dora is really popular here and has been for years. :) Go to any shop selling kids stuff in Australia and you will find Dora clothes, toys, books, games. It's not as popular as it used to (Peppa is really taking over) but I would say that a very large number of little girls in Australia would have something Dora even if they've never seen the show, especially from a few years ago.

The only really distinctive things to my mind are: the quilt because it is hand designed, the tutu dress because it stands out in the mind and because only a few were sold (not because it is a tutu dress lots of little girls have tutu dresses), and that some of the girls have foreign labels indicating that they may have been bought from op-shops or reject stores. This may be indicative of a family that is not wealthy.

For me (and I could be totally wrong) is that the fact that the child has not been reported missing indicates that her parent/s killed her, and that the child probably experienced escalating physical abuse throughout her life. The fact that she was "bashed" as per the Herald Sun article that was paraphrased here is also an indication of that. She probably did not go to school or have much contact with extended family but may have been the subject of investigations or reports from Families SA.

I'd been looking at Hawaiian words as there are limited letters in the Hawaiian alphabet. And the pineapple of course. Which is interesting thinking what *were* they thinking? Who knows, maybe they didn't realize it was Arabic? At any rate, the "good night" sure makes sense. Half the time I can barely guess what other English speakers are talking about, LOL!

'Good night' would make sense on a child's item, yes (I only just managed to get my little boy to sleep, at half past midnight, so I'm with you on that one!

I think the Hawaiian idea certainly seems plausible, with the pineapple and all; interesting what you say about the alphabet.

RSBM

Well if this God forsaken area is that bad then it could be possible that a drug effected mother used her child as collateral (for drugs) to pedophiles who eventually killed her from rough treatment/drugs?
The little girl from Perth was given amil nitrate(?) so the pedophile ring could do...whatever.

Oh gosh, it's not THAT bad :)
I was up in Murray Bridge yesterday and it's a thriving town and very pretty with a lot of civic pride evident.
Wynarka and Karoonda are simply farming communities.
These areas are no worse for drugs and crime than anywhere else in Australia.

here is a paraphased version of the news story, sorry its not great

the Beaumont children. Truro. The Family. Snowtown. Now there’s Wynarka and the little girl in the suitcase, the latest addition to South Australia’s back-catalogue of horror stories.
if police can manage to get dna they will match it against sex offenders on record,
South Australia’s major crime squad has made an educated guess that the person they want is in their state, most likely within close range.

Taskforce Mallee has begun the investigation by doorknocking every house within 25km of Wynarka. Conscious not to miss vital clues or leave gaps that the guilty can wriggle through, detectives are taking their time, cross-referencing each inquiry so nothing is missed and nothing is left to chance.

Investigators are not revealing all they know about what happened to the child because they have to keep some vital detail secret. Something only the killer knows and timewasters dont know

Police know the victim was a little under a metre tall and had shoulder-length fair hair. They know that as long as seven years ago she died extremely violently, almost certainly murdered. Certain fractures suggest she was bashed to death. A defence lawyer might argue that such injuries could be accidental — but why would anyone would hide the body of a child who died in a genuine accident?
The killer or someone close to him or her then covered the body in a pile of clothes, maybe in an empty room, a cupboard or a shed. Then they left it for years long enough to be reduced to a skeleton.

Then, probably early this year, something happened to prompt the person to move the body, were they jittery because of recent prosecution of child killers, or the brilliant detection of Daniel Morcombe’s killer — Brett Peter Cowan — generated nationwide publicity after Cowan’s Supreme Court appeal failed in May this year. In April there was a spate of fresh publicity about William Tyrell’s abduction in northern NSW last September.any of these things may spark fear in a child killer.maybe they were moving house.
people may be tempted to assume the case was thrown from a vehicle but their strongest clue is the man with the suitcase seen in wynarka between march and may,
WYNARKA township has about eight permanent residents. Early one morning this year, roughly a quarter of the population — Denise Edwards and Monica Martin — were walking their dogs when they saw something that stuck in their minds,it was a man aged about 60 with short grey hair, lightly built neat looking, the unusual thing is that he was carrying a large suitcase, rather than wheeling it, he wasnt struggling with it,it seemed light, he seemed to be a man on a mission
was close enough to see both women but he made no eye contact and no greeting, unusual in the country. There was no sign of how he had appeared in the street but it seemed unlikely he had walked all the way from some other area. It seemed likely that either a vehicle had dropped him there, or he had walked from relatively close by.
police say if he arrived by vehicle he could have come from anywhere
investigators are eliminating the most obvious possibility: that the man came from one of the former farmhouses rented cheaply to transient tenants who come to the backblocks to escape their unhappy pasts
Some outsiders use the empty houses for their drug use or there are cases like the inbred family who moved from nz to rural areas including south australia
That family, product of three generations of incest over 40 years, No outsiders would have known if one of the dozen feral children in the family had died — or been killed.

As forensic experts do their best to extract usable DNA from the tiny bones, the investigators have been chasing leads on the clothes and the quilt found with the suitcase — and the case itself.
the clothing is cheap brands with origins of most of the 50 items identified, but some neo yet,
one is “Sally”. Others are “Miss X Australia”, “HF” and “Gaf”. The oddest one looks like HAOLAILH, printed on the tag in uneven capitals, Perhaps the most intriguing clue is the quilt. It is a “one-off”, apparently homemade from mostly hexagonal patches of brightly patterned material but machine-stitched, not hand sewn.
the lanza brand suitcase is another clue with the Lanza brand being “budget” quality. Lanza is the cheapest line of the brands sold by the national luggage retail chain, Strandbags.

Police have learned that the store “gave away” a large number of the suitcases for as little as $9 each several years ago, the bag could have been picked up from kerbside cleanup, charity shop, or from the tip.
The suitcase is variously described as “faded blue” or “grey”, although police have used a black model to use for publicity purposes. Whatever its original colour, it looks as if it was severely weathered before the clothes and the bones were put in it.

The police suggest the Lanza was sold exclusively by Strandbags outlets at Murray Bridge, McLaren Vale, Rundle Mall, Salisbury and Elizabeth. The question of whether it could have been bought in Renmark or Mt Gambier or over the border in Mildura or Warrnambool — or at any of the other dozen or more stores in Victoria — remains unanswered.
he neat man with the suitcase seems the strongest lead, with every day that he fails to come forward to clear himself confirms him as a better suspect.
Police have spoken to more than a dozen witnesses who saw a man matching the description of the “suitcase man” in the Wynarka district during the autumn.

Two specific sightings were on April 13 and May 26.

Thanks so much for that, bearbear. It's good to know that police seem to be gathering quite a bit of information, isn't it?

I still find it a bit strange that these details are being reported in a newspaper first and not brought to public attention via police, particularly in this particular case where the help being sought from the public is such an important aspect of the investigation. Is it just me?

Interesting that suitcase man has been seen by a dozen or so people (more than the number of permanent residents in Wynarka, apparently! Talk about distinguishing yourself!).

But doesn't that mean, assuming all or most of those twelve people have actually been seeing the same person, that people must have got a reasonable look at the man's face, or at least a more detailed look at his clothing than the description we have been given? How else could police be sure it was the same man without a certain level of detail? Unless he was carrying the suitcase each time..

And if police do have a more detailed description, why haven't they shared it with the public? Could it mean they are getting somewhere regarding this man?

I actually got so much from the article my head is swimming ....

The one thing that it pointed out.... well for me at least is the fact that this suitcase man was a local or at least he was for the short period of Autumn

I think it's about understanding the geography that is unique to Australia. We do have refugees arriving in Australia by boat but they arrive from the north. There is nothing south of Australia except for Antarctica. Sailing around Australia in secret to disembark (again secretly) on the southern coast, is dangerous and unheard of. The cheap boats asylum seekers have to access would never make it.

Yep, the Roaring Forties would be the end of any small vessel designed to do mainly coastal trips. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roaring_Forties

I live in the country in Tennessee, USA and we have hollows or valleys blocking reception in low lying areas. Tv reception went due to the new hd, so you have old fashioned tv reception, and that means everyone is likely well informed. Yeah, we live just near enough the lake , but not an ocean. The lake alone invites trouble, imagine an ocean within a few miles. It still opens the door to international people to have lost this little girl.

But there is no ocean within a few miles.
Are you looking at the right place Susan?

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...m2!3m1!1s0x6ab7f2099fd69881:0x4033654628eea70

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
makaylaj