Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the article re the safari photo and Simon's Instagram comments.

This is the article re the safari photo and Simon's Instagram comments.

I also recall seeing another photo in a different post, with SP sitting on the ground alongside the dead big cat. Looking for post, some threads ago.

I also recall seeing another photo in a different post, with SP sitting on the ground alongside the dead big cat. Looking for post, some threads ago.
That’s the exact same link I posted upthread.

While Mr Patterson was on holiday in South Africa in January 2017, he made the comments about his 'favourite sayings' on Instagram next to a photograph of a leopard devouring a water buffalo in the famous Kruger National Park.

However, he also posted the disclaimer: 'There is a time and place for that, and a safari in Africa is not one of them! The few rules in game parks were each created because someone died, and so my best advice is: Don’t die!'

Mr Patterson, who worked as a photographer for the local newsletter the Burra Flyer edited by his parents and ex wife, published an accompanying article on wildlife photography for the site @fstoplounge.

He apologised about the quality of the image of the leopard - which he captioned 'If looks could kill! This leopard looked more than a little annoyed at me disturbing his dinner time' - remarking that it was 'my first ever Instagram post'.

In the article, Mr Patterson provides 'tips for amateur photographers who want to make the most of their up-coming safari holiday' about having patience, using the light, and the right equipment.

In several articles for the publication, Mr Patterson is described as 'an enthusiastic photographer who also likes discovering the truth about things' who loves 'hiking and camping in the wilderness and ... aims to create images that affect people emotionally.
—————
There’s also a screenshot of his post.

Where did it say he shot a lion? Kruger National Park prohibits hunting. Are you saying he illegally shot a lion and posted a photo of it somewhere else?

Respectfully it makes no sense. Everything points to Simon photographing wild animals. He’s an avid photographer not a wild game hunter.

Did Erin ever go with him on these overseas jaunts or did she only get to look at photos of him enjoying himself.

And no, if she is guilty of anything, there is no excuse.
This article says he went to Africa with his family:

While Mr Patterson was on holiday with his family in South Africa in January 2017, he made the comments about his 'favourite sayings' on Instagram next to a photograph of a leopard devouring a water buffalo in the famous Kruger National Park.

Serial killers usually start earlier than their 40's.

But someone killing their family doesn't usually have any previous murders, from what I've seen here on this forum. People like Chris Watts, who killed his wife and kids for example.

It is a goal oriented killing, as opposed to someone who kills for the thrill or compulsion. JMO

Although EP is alleged to have killed several people in one incident, I'm not sure she'd be defined as a serial killer *if* convicted.

JMO but a person can kill under extreme desperation, or crime of passion, or abnormal mental duress, or in a fit of extreme rage at any age if they have lost the rational plot and care not for the consequences. Especially where their children and home are involved. I personally also wonder about 'hormones' and 'times of month' or 'times of life' and alcoholism / drug / medication use in all of this too - pure speculation on my behalf and not trying to excuse the alleged perpetrator.

The type of serial killers who start as young offenders and build up over the years into a frenzy because they have a compulsion to kill are probably a different type of personality and pathology than this IMO.

What makes you believe she wanted to go on His safaris?

Just because you are married doesn’t mean you share the same interests or always want to do the same things.

Especially not if you've got small children and house to run and standing around for hours on end in the hot sun trying to get the perfect shot of a particular type of animal isn't your actual personal obsession.

SP in South Africa with his family - I briefly toyed with the idea that it might have been his birth family, ie parents and siblings. But it's very unlikely at his age. So IMO it was almost certainly with EP and their children. And she possibly paid for it all.

SP in South Africa with his family - I briefly toyed with the idea that it might have been his birth family, ie parents and siblings. But it's very unlikely at his age. So IMO it was almost certainly with EP and their children. And she possibly paid for it all.
I believe Erin came into money when her mother died in 2019. The South Africa trip was in 2017. So, I don't think there's any reason to think she was paying his way. Simon has been described as a civil engineer in the papers, so it stands to reason that he made a sufficient salary to afford the occasional vacation abroad.

His family were previously missionaries. I think he spent some of his childhood with his family in Africa.

Iirc

Although EP is alleged to have killed several people in one incident, I'm not sure she'd be defined as a serial killer *if* convicted.

JMO but a person can kill under extreme desperation, or crime of passion, or abnormal mental duress, or in a fit of extreme rage at any age if they have lost the rational plot and care not for the consequences. Especially where their children and home are involved. I personally also wonder about 'hormones' and 'times of month'
<I feel like this is a bit gendered. Would people be blaming hormones for a male accused of murder?> idk ?
or 'times of life' and alcoholism / drug / medication
I feel like some people who kill do experience psychotic episodes, often it’s unmedicated and undiagnosed schizophrenia. I’m not saying this is Erin, but I’m just talking in general.

And sometimes people attempt to medicate themselves unsuccessfully as they know there is something wrong and they try to fix it.

IMO
use in all of this too - pure speculation on my behalf and not trying to excuse the alleged perpetrator.

The type of serial killers who start as young offenders and build up over the years into a frenzy because they have a compulsion to kill are probably a different type of personality and pathology than this IMO.
<Totally agree>

<I feel like this is a bit gendered. Would people be blaming hormones for a male accused of murder?> idk ?

I feel like some people who kill do experience psychotic episodes, often it’s unmedicated and undiagnosed schizophrenia. I’m not saying this is Erin, but I’m just talking in general.

And sometimes people attempt to medicate themselves unsuccessfully as they know there is something wrong and they try to fix it.

IMO

<Totally agree>

Well it is gendered of course - it refers to female only symptoms of menstruation or menopause which a man could not possibly have. Therefore, a 100% gendered comment. I am female and have a lot of understanding of the severity of how mood can alter and even personality can seem to flip.

I'm looking for 'explanation' and not 'excuses' but as I personally have experience of people taking their own lives or having uncontrolled fits of rage due to female issues (most especially when entering the menopause and most especially if they also drink a fair bit of alcohol). As far as we know, EP is not until recent history a person who has attempted to in any way harm or murder people (except possibly her ex), then alls I'm saying is that possibly her loss of rational, thoughtful, controlled, decision making could be explained by drinking and hormone changes which can dramatically affect some women.

What she did, if guilty, is literally bonkers IMO. She stood no hope of realistically killing an entire table of guests and getting away with it. A 'crime of passion' or sudden rage can be ruled out as it was done with deliberation and consideration. Clearly she was not appearing to be overtly or floridly psychotic or people would have noticed prior. She's an intelligent woman who did something inexplicably rash and stupid IMO JMO.

Add to say, I think when men commit similar horrendous crimes we also seek 'explanation' (not make excuses) such as 'he was under financial pressure', 'was about to lose his business', 'wife was leaving him and taking the kids', 'was drinking heavily', 'was using steroids'. Never to those explanations undermine the severity of what that man did or the need for justice. Plus society in general seems to think men perpetrate violent crimes way more than women due to having higher testosterone.

Well it is gendered of course - it refers to female only symptoms of menstruation or menopause which a man could not possibly have. Therefore, a 100% gendered comment. I am female and have a lot of understanding of the severity of how mood can alter and even personality can seem to flip.

I'm looking for 'explanation' and not 'excuses' but as I personally have experience of people taking their own lives or having uncontrolled fits of rage due to female issues (most especially when entering the menopause and most especially if they also drink a fair bit of alcohol). As far as we know, EP is not until recent history a person who has attempted to in any way harm or murder people (except possibly her ex), then alls I'm saying is that possibly her loss of rational, thoughtful, controlled, decision making could be explained by drinking and hormone changes which can dramatically affect some women.

What she did, if guilty, is literally bonkers IMO. She stood no hope of realistically killing an entire table of guests and getting away with it. A 'crime of passion' or sudden rage can be ruled out as it was done with deliberation and consideration. Clearly she was not appearing to be overtly or floridly psychotic or people would have noticed prior. She's an intelligent woman who did something inexplicably rash and stupid IMO JMO.

And yet if she hadn’t been caught this time she had already likely gotten away with doing to her ex husband before with zero repercussions.

According the charges she has been charged with this wasn’t her first rodeo at doing this. So as stupid as it seems to us she had likely gotten away with it before.

MOO

Got it.
I'm looking for 'explanation' and not 'excuses' but as I personally have experience of people taking their own lives or having uncontrolled fits of rage due to female issues (most especially when entering the menopause and most especially if they also drink a fair bit of alcohol).
It will be interesting to follow this case, and I hope we do get an explanation - either way - for what has occurred.
As far as we know, EP is not until recent history a person who has attempted to in any way harm or murder people (except possibly her ex), then alls I'm saying is that possibly her loss of rational, thoughtful, controlled, decision making could be explained by drinking and hormone changes which can dramatically affect some women.

What she did, if guilty, is literally bonkers IMO.
Agreed. If she is ever found to be guilty, the alleged actions as set out by the Crown in this case are totally bonkers.

IMO
She stood no hope of realistically killing an entire table of guests and getting away with it.
Zero chance of getting away with it, if indeed a crime occurred. It would have been totally delusional for one to think they could get away with such a crime. IMO
A 'crime of passion' or sudden rage can be ruled out as it was done with deliberation and consideration. Clearly she was not appearing to be overtly or floridly psychotic or people would have noticed prior. She's an intelligent woman who did something inexplicably rash and stupid IMO JMO.

And yet if she hadn’t been caught this time she had already likely gotten away with doing to her ex husband before with zero repercussions.

According the charges she has been charged with this wasn’t her first rodeo at doing this. So as stupid as it seems to us she had likely gotten away with it before.

MOO
If the charges are proven, the fact that she had (until now) gotten away with the episodes involving her ex husband with no scrutiny and no consequences, is mind-boggling to me.

Imo

She might be innocent and is entitled to presumption of innocence.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
Suppose it turns out she wasn't overextended, but well organized to live within her current income. Assuming she did the thing at all, which we're not in a position to determine, would you still incline to a financial motive, on the basis that there's no such thing as enough money when more is within reach?

Last edited by a moderator:

IMO

<Totally agree>

1) surely male hormones are accused. "'Roid rage." Or, XYY haplotype that might be linked to aggression.

2) I think we should be able to discuss PMDD, because most often, women don't feel angry during PMDD, they feel depressed and suicidal. In fact, not spreading the knowledge about anything "catamenial" (period-related), and the list is huge, just leaves women suffering from cyclical conditions unaware of what might contribute, and hence, unable to look for help. Men won't give them the idea.

It is another thing that I think if ER is culpable, some time went into preparation so it is not PMDD, just very flawed thinking.

Myself, I'd leave "attempts" on her husband's life alone, unless they can prove it. The case might be weakened by them. The way it looks now, it is strong.

BTW, the case is strong even if she "mistakenly" foraged the mushrooms. If someone feeds me mushrooms they foraged themselves, I'd refuse. We are past hunters-gatherers phase.

(Personally, I don't mind people hunting with a license, but I am not sure everyone subjects their meat to inspection, so I'd refuse "the elk I hunted", too.)

Suppose it turns out she wasn't overextended, but well organized to live within her current income. Assuming she did the thing at all, which we're not in a position to determine, would you still incline to a financial motive, on the basis that there's no such thing as enough money when more is within reach?

I don't think it is financial. JMO. If EP was not religious, and her in-laws were religious to the degree that it consumed their whole life, I can imagine a huge reason for a rift there. Remember, they shared the time, so it was about the way her kids might be raised.

I agree with the above that unless prosecution have got a really solid case for the 'previous attempts' then they look IMO a bit ludicrous. If medics at the time when SP needed his extensive treatment didn't suspect or question an unknown digested toxin being the cause, then it won't fly in a court of law I doubt. But maybe they did?

I once had a very rare and unusual medical situation and the consultants ran me through scores of questionnaires about whether I'd been in x,y,z type of environment. But they never once asked if it's possible anyone had deliberately poisoned me. In my case, the 'thing' was identified but I have no idea how it was acquired.

JMO MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member