Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He hired a lawyer on the first day she went missing, and then a barrister on the day her body was found.

Being a mod on a site like this, would you say that this is typical behaviour of people who have had a family member go missing?

Only when they are guilty, I'm afraid.

There was a case recently where Gail Palmgren went missing in Tennessee and her husband hired an attorney soon after. Months later, her body and car were found to have gone over a cliff on a steep road and deemed an accident. Some wonder if she wasn't run off the road, though. There was a lot of suspicion surrounding the husband and by hiring the attorney, suspicion was even greater.

There was a case recently where Gail Palmgren went missing in Tennessee and her husband hired an attorney soon after. Months later, her body and car were found to have gone over a cliff on a steep road and deemed an accident. Some wonder if she wasn't run off the road, though. There was a lot of suspicion surrounding the husband and by hiring the attorney, suspicion was even greater.
It just makes me feel so sad that people go through these kinds of ordeals. I can't comprehend why. Especially when it's the mother or father of their child/ren.

It just makes me feel so sad that people go through these kinds of ordeals. I can't comprehend why. Especially when it's the mother or father of their child/ren.

I feel there is more and more of it going on too. And men who kill their wives and/or children and then themselves. We had two of those cases in my local area last year. :(

Awww man. I've also read recently about speculation regarding single vehicle crashes where a whole family is killed. Often they are written off as accidents but some of them are actually murder/suicide.

I have heard that GBC did his schooling in Toowoomba (can anyone confirm?). If so, I strongly suspect his lawyer is a friend from schooldays so possibly getting mate's rates at this stage. Can't say that for the barrister though.

I believe from his linked-in profile he went to the University of Southern Queensland in Toowoomba. However, particularly in the late '80s to the early '90s it had a very strong distance education student body - so he may have studied externally. I did see in the tributes page someone said they had been Allison and Gerard's neighbours in Toowoomba, so I suspect he was a full-time on-campus student for at least part of his degree. Toowoomba has a large white Zimbabwian diaspora.

A sign of pretentiousness: He describes 'University of Southern Queensland' as were he went to Uni, but at that time it would still have been 'Darling Downs Institute of Advanced Education' or possibly 'University College of Southern Queensland as it was transitioning. Perhaps it is acceptable to put the updated name in your resumé.

He hired a lawyer on the first day she went missing, and then a barrister on the day her body was found.

Being a mod on a site like this, would you say that this is typical behaviour of people who have had a family member go missing?
It also depends on how one has their assests and their bank accounts set up and one partner cannot act on the behalf of the other without their consent.

It's rather complex and money is needed for the girls and for the bills and life goes on in that way.

Not saying this is the case here, I don't know, but there are other issues and concerns when someone is missing, not just protecting himself as a possible person of interest. Even at her death, he would still need legal permission to be able to deal with her part of the estate if it isn't in joint names where either can make decisions.

Before moving on to discuss legal matters in more detail, it is important to note that the social and personal issues involved when a relative or friend goes missing are significant. These issues are likely made more difficult by the complex legal processes involved with managing a person’s estate or affairs.

This is understandably a difficult issue for many family and friends of missing persons. However, the premise is that no one can deal with the assets of another person without their prior consent.

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/vs%5Cvs.nsf/files/FFMP_map.pdf/$FILE/FFMP_map.pdf

It also depends on how one has their assests and their bank accounts set up and one partner cannot act on the behalf of the other without their consent.

It's rather complex and money is needed for the girls and for the bills and life goes on in that way.

Not saying this is the case here, I don't know, but there are other issues and concerns when someone is missing, not just protecting himself as a possible person of interest. Even at her death, he would still need legal permission to be able to deal with her part of the estate if it isn't in joint names where either can make decisions.

His WIFE is missing, a massive search is underway & he's thinking/worrying about assets!?!? That is probably one of the strangest things I've heard re this case.

I'd suggest GBC was more concerned about his very own backside = hire criminal lawyer.

Before moving on to discuss legal matters in more detail, it is important to note that the social and personal issues involved when a relative or friend goes missing are significant. These issues are likely made more difficult by the complex legal processes involved with managing a person’s estate or affairs.

This is understandably a difficult issue for many family and friends of missing persons. However, the premise is that no one can deal with the assets of another person without their prior consent.

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/vs%5Cvs.nsf/files/FFMP_map.pdf/$FILE/FFMP_map.pdf

This is a great point, but if he was innocent would he really need to worry about this from the first day she was gone? Unless he knew for sure she wasn't coming back.

Originally Posted by Strangeworld
Originally Posted by PolyDot
No link - you will have to take it from me ..
friend in common - who told me she flew down on 'weekend' after Allison went missing ie 21 22 April ... very reliable source .. fact to me ..but appreciate not for others
Take it or leave it - just trying to be helpful. End quote.

I have heard (from a good source) that GBC dressed the children and took them to school. Just a normal day to him (except that his wife was missing) - his sister had not arrived at that stage.

IMO not many people would just get their children ready (something he probably didn't do on a daily basis) and then report their spouse missing after a morning walk???? He wasn't thinking very clearly or he would have pur the children in the car and gone looking for her just in case she had hurt herself and was limping home slowly.

Just saw on Twitter that the 5.00 pm ten news bulletin has an intriguing development on this case. Maybe someone can watch it and update us?

Originally Posted by Strangeworld
Originally Posted by PolyDot
No link - you will have to take it from me ..
friend in common - who told me she flew down on 'weekend' after Allison went missing ie 21 22 April ... very reliable source .. fact to me ..but appreciate not for others
Take it or leave it - just trying to be helpful. End quote.

I have heard (from a good source) that GBC dressed the children and took them to school. Just a normal day to him (except that his wife was missing) - his sister had not arrived at that stage.

IMO not many people would just get their children ready (something he probably didn't do on a daily basis) and then report their spouse missing after a morning walk???? He wasn't thinking very clearly or he would have pur the children in the car and gone looking for her just in case she had hurt herself and was limping home slowly.

Yep. IMO. If he was not involved, he does know more than she went for a walk or left her watching telly. I think. But purely my opinion and I really hate to tar and feather someone(for want of a better saying, lol)..just on opinion, if they are innocent. Cause if he is, he must be going through hell also and seems like many of the general public are convinced he did something.

His WIFE is missing, a massive search is underway & he's thinking/worrying about assets!?!? That is probably one of the strangest things I've heard re this case.

I'd suggest GBC was more concerned about his very own backside = hire criminal lawyer.
But none of us know what sort of 'stakes' (if any) Allison had in his business or if she was a silent partner where he would be unable to do anything business wise without her permission. Couples often do that type of stuff where they join forces, especially if the business is not going so great and assests need to be distributed where there is less tax to pay etc.

None of us know if any of his business dealings are a bit suss and there may be other matters totally unrelated to Allison which could be a worry for him. Cross the Tax Department (or any other gov agency) and it is a criminal concern. Trust Funds and Power of Attorney over another person are also two areas very easily mismanaged.

If per chance it was something like that, then he'd find it difficult to run his business and at the end of the day, the welfare and well being of his daughters and their comfort would be the main concern. Without money there is no food or warmth and it's not always possible or such a great idea to be borrowing money off others to live and get further into debt.

No matter how tragic someone's circumstances, the debt collectors still want their money and you have to work very hard to keep fobbing them off.

I have no clue what his or her circumstances are nor if he did or didn't murder her, but in all fairness, there sometimes is more to a story as why people do certain things than what is publically stated. The public is not owed an explanation for anyone's actions no matter how dire the circumstances and no doubt, his advise would be to say as little as possible publically.

The barrister would have been retained on the recommendation of the solicitor. GBC would have had no input into that decision apart from agreeing to the expenses. Counsel would have been retained to provide an opinion as to more complex questions of law, not as a representaive in court. If there is eventually a trial then this barrister, or another, may be retained for that also. An opinion would usually be sought if the client indicates that there was a complex facutal scenario and wants to get an idea of how his criminal liability will vary depending on what facts are supported by evidence, and what sentences are likely for different offences. The barrister may also be asked for a view as to whether a plea bargain is worth pursuing. it is relatively uncommon for an accused person to be represented by a personally retained barrister in a murder trial, due to the expense. Legal Aid would usually brief the matter. But you can be sure that if the matter goes to trial that the Crown will brief someone just as capable as the defence counsel.

The barrister would have been retained on the recommendation of the solicitor. GBC would have had no input into that decision apart from agreeing to the expenses. Counsel would have been retained to provide an opinion as to more complex questions of law, not as a representaive in court. If there is eventually a trial then this barrister, or another, may be retained for that also. An opinion would usually be sought if the client indicates that there was a complex facutal scenario and wants to get an idea of how his criminal liability will vary depending on what facts are supported by evidence, and what sentences are likely for different offences. The barrister may also be asked for a view as to whether a plea bargain is worth pursuing. it is relatively uncommon for an accused person to be represented by a personally retained barrister in a murder trial, due to the expense. Legal Aid would usually brief the matter. But you can be sure that if the matter goes to trial that the Crown will brief someone just as capable as the defence counsel.
I can understand that there may be reasons that people can explain. But to hire someone that is of the calibre that Peter Davis SC is would be unnecessary, yes? I mean, if he hired a lesser barrister and then needed to upgrade later, sure. But why go straight for the big guns?

I was almost thinking here was nothing more to add as like many posters it is doing my head in a little. However some of the recent posts regarding assets etc have made me think again.
What if:
He knew she had a hairdresser appointment and decided to 'stay late at work' (or visit mistress). The thing about the footy show never sat easily with me (maybe he checked what was on and decided that was good enough).
The kids are not at home (staying at the BCs even though that is still subject to conjecture) and he decides to intercept her somewhere, or him and his alleged mistress, and kill and dispose of Allison. Hence the possible attention to the roundabout (not knowing where the alleged mistress lives).
Or it could not be his alleged mistress but his female business partner (all tied up in a financial conundrum and they cannot see their way clear)
He goes home sometime between 11pm and 4.30am and reports her missing when he believes it is a 'reasonable' time given Allison's usual routine. However, as many pointed out she had something on that day that would have required her to be ready and leave much earlier.
All IMO

10 news update.. woman close to husband has now hired a lawyer.. Interesting.

I believe it is the woman many have referred to who has been questioned for numerous hours.

Just saw on Twitter that the 5.00 pm ten news bulletin has an intriguing development on this case. Maybe someone can watch it and update us?

Hhhmmpp. Think they just removed that twitter entry : (
BTW has anyone entered ABC's name into linkedin??? It's a little Strange
Just to tired to slueth anymore. Night,night.

I can understand that there may be reasons that people can explain. But to hire someone that is of the calibre that Peter Davis SC is would be unnecessary, yes? I mean, if he hired a lesser barrister and then needed to upgrade later, sure. But why go straight for the big guns?
Maybe he has already used him for other matters in the past. Maybe he came as a recommendation or maybe a family member or a mate knows him personally.

Just saw on channel 10 news a woman has hired a lawyer in relation to the baden clay case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7