Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The synoptic weather maps, minimum and maximum temperature accurate as they were recorded on the day and reported in the following days newspaper as was clearly labelled. The minimum temperature from midnight to 7.30 am on 10th June 1988 was between 11 and 14 degrees. Similar to a summers day in England, wouldn't you say? That accurate synoptic chart is also posted the day after it occurred so no guessing there either. Just depends if you can read it or not. That's where BOM had to be accurate as they didn't have as many tools available to them So reading the same synoptic charts as you and having the evidence of the weather that occurred and was recorded in the previous and following days they were proved to be accurate.

What was not accurate was http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...97-Perth-WA-14/page62&p=13393776#post13393776

Quote metic: Quotefrom *researcher; " it was a stormy period ! i think currentsdefinitely would have been north to south… and big waves too" Initialreply from Physical oceanographer ....Also of note ;
It was stormy wild wetwinter weather conditions before the 21st and after the 23rd which must havemade searching very difficult . Not surprisingly the car was found during the(only) finest day of all the period 15th-28th june 1988.

This was accurate:
"...The front was fragmented in structure and rainfall was only expected to be light in inland districts. The front had brought one of the few SW changes in recent weeks, consequently colder air of southern origin was extending through the SW. Pressures are expected to rise rapidly behind the front and fine weather was expected to develop in the SW. ...

This is shown to be correct from the weather that occurred and recorded both before and after and previously published here.

Monday 20th June 1988 Temp 10.7 degrees at 7.30 am and max 18.4 degrees at 2.25 pm. (published West Australian 21 June 1988)

Tuesday 21[SUP]st[/SUP] June 1988 Forecast Perth fine and cool. North East winds 5 to 12 knots. Seas should be 0.5 m on a swell to 2.5 m.Temp 8 – 19 degrees.
Extended forecast: With a high pressure cell establishing itself over the southern half, fine conditions should persist over the State until late tomorrow. A front should approach the coast tomorrow night and cross the lower west coast on Thursday.

Wednesday 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] June 1988 Forecast Fine. Outlook showers developing. Temp 10 – 20.
Fine and sunny conditions prevailed through the northern half, while the southern half experienced similar conditions at 4.00pm yesterday. A high pressure system was located over the Eucla and is presently bringing fine weather to almost the whole state. These conditions should persist except for the extreme SW corner where isolated showers are forecast. With clear skies and light winds inland areas should be in for another cold night with local frosts in the southern half. The seasonal fine weather should persist in the northern half.

The link doesn't take me to the actual post unfortunately, What date was it ?
if i recall correctly, that was in April , 6 months ago .
At that stage we had not seen your newspaper weather reports, PeteDavo's
Trove links ,Spinnakers map (17th) or the 44 color maps from the Oceanographer at U.W.A.

That Was just in the early stages of the oceanweather hindcasting project, with limited information .
Im pretty close to spot on with the Oceanographer anyway .

Today i recieved an email from UWA's Physical Oceanographer after i pleaded to them for more detailed information.
They confirmed the Front on Sunday afternoon, with fresh westerly winds and certified the big waves .

Quote :
"I looked at the ECMWF ERA-Interim model for that time.
Looks like the front and the biggest waves were on the 19th June,
Then a high pressure came in and caused fine weather over next few days,
with dropping but still solid swell.
Offshore rottnest waves were ~ 5 m on morning of 19 June,
front came through that afternoon.
Then by morning of 20th , swell was dropping but still ~ 4 m .
Winds shifting around to SE and over 20-23rd waves were 3-3•5 metres
with high pressure and offshore East / NE winds."

Quote Oceanographer, fri 27th October.

"This is from CSIRO, hindcast, similar to the other but better resolution - probably the best available for that date."

https://data.csiro.au/dap/landingpage?pid=csiro:6616

"Model shows same thing , with one detail and slightly bigger heights - 19th was huge (up to 7 m)
and 30 knot westerly winds .
Mon 20th it was clearing up and wind shifting offshore with dropping swell.
Swell on 19th was pretty west, around 230-240 degrees."

Thats is the opinion of a UWA Doctor of physical oceanography .

be1c8640ae2a312aa05250ba6b4c49b9.jpg

Im sure that 1m drop off the retaining wall being the only way to the sand is inaccurate. There were always stairs to get back up to the pavement in front of the boat shed. I used to walk around to them when the drop off was too high to step up onto it near the shower on the north side of the bitumen. How were people supposed to get off the sand otherwise, climb up the wall? Id agree there was only a "narrow" amount of sand to the water at the time.

Deleted

Attachments

• thebend.jpg
    thebend.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 114
Incorrect. The only inconsistency is from you. You said there were NW winds. Every time I posted weather for 20th June 1988, I said SW winds at 10 to 15 knots easing to 10 knots by late morning.

You said there was a huge storm in Perth the weekend before JC disappeared. There wasn't. Read the charts, temperatures and BOM forecast.

You said temperatures overnight on 19th June were 2 degrees. They weren't. Minimum temperatures were 14 to 11 degrees from midnight until 7.30 am on the 20th June 1988.

Possible hail for the SW is a general summary report in the diagram (which you snipped out of the above post) for the Lower SW, which is pointing to around Albany. Suggests scattered showers and possible hail.

I have posted this particular chart and forecast around 4 times now. Are you saying that the official BOM forecast in The West Australian is inaccurate? The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) wouldn't be too happy that you think their PhD trained officers that reported in 1988 did not know how to interpret synoptic charts. If you can't see the official BOM forecast on the right circled read the simple forecast in the big picture of Australia. You snipped the image without permission and without referencing the source, so not not only you can't see the official BOM forecast, no one can.

The front was fragmented in structure and rainfall was only expected to be light in inland districts. The front had brought one of the few SW changes in recent weeks, consequently colder air of southern origin was extending through the SW. Pressures are expected to rise rapidly behind the front and fine weather was expected to develop in the SW.

There was no storm in the weekend before the disappearance of Julie C. I have said this many times and provided evidence many times. You agreed with me. The front you see is centered well off the south of Australia and is weak and fragmented according to the BOM reports reported in The West Australian. The front had front brought one of the few SW changes in recent weeks.

There was a storm that started to come in from the 24th June 1988 as further information I posted previously from The West Australian showed....and don't get me started on the waves cause that's were I do have expertise!!

attachment.php

Quote Innerchild :
"There was no storm in the weekend before the disappearance of Julie C.
I have said this many times and provided evidence many times.
You agreed with me.
The front you see is centered well off the south of Australia and is weak and fragmented according to the BOM reports reported in The West Australian.
The front had front brought one of the few SW changes in recent weeks."

"One of the few SW changes in recent weeks" is because it had been norwesterly wind, from the relentless storm fronts .

Color chart sourced here .
http://www.ecmwf.int/en/research/climate-reanalysis/era-interim

9048a60b619237123f47c3bb890e6f05.jpg
0b26e206670e596d825c72961431e204.jpg
6549a52a93f1f379aff85bb3e1f98b15.jpg

Think this scenario may explain the damage to the passenger side and we don't have to work out how it hit the pylon.

The offender, either running along beside the car steering from outside or in a careless panic, has side swiped BLF on the bend (illustrated & could have come in on either service road). This leans towards there being a single offender imo. The back doors were locked.. The damage to the roof was done in the retrieval hauling the car in.

attachment.php

Quote pandit :
"This leans towards there being a single offender imo.
The back doors were locked.. The damage to the roof was done in the retrieval hauling the car in."

Those are some good points Pandit .
Back doors locked is telling ,
plus drivers door window down .
Roof ripped off, by dragging from a winch upside down Into shore .
Thanks for that [emoji362]
Photo source: Innerchild
b3bbac989b3b4f4c6e21f3d07914434f.jpg

Fast Eddy's - Cnr MillIgan & Hay St. If there was anyone wandering the streets back then it was up that end of town as Fast Eddys was probably the only place open when the clubs shut at 12am.
One of the most popular nightclubs back then open on a Sunday Night was Gobbles, also up that end of town, opposite the old entertainment centre.

How about these but doesn't look like Sunday/Monday
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/r...d-perths-nightclub-scene-20160525-gp3jkm.html

Think this scenario may explain the damage to the passenger side and we don't have to work out how it hit the pylon.

The offender, either running along beside the car steering from outside or in a careless panic, has side swiped BLF on the bend (easy done - illustrated & could have come in on either service road). This leans towards there being a single offender imo. The back doors were locked.. Most of the damage to the roof was done in the retrieval hauling the car in.

This would place the Fiat eventually in about the right spot from where the towie's dragged it in.

attachment.php

JC car BLF: Here's some Google Maps screen shots illustrating the distance of 50m that MSM reports as the distance BLF found off the beach. I acknowledge that there are mixed reports of whether BLF was found to be 35m or 50m out from the beach, but I'm assuming you can all guess what 35m looks like given the 50m distance.

Pic #1 and #2 - I've included two measurements, first straight out from the promenade and second from the water line (as shown on day of this satellite pic).

All screenshots of Google Maps.
attachment.php
attachment.php

One addition thanks Spooks .
150m marked from the groyne to the pylon
https://goo.gl/images/ZoVsrS
2cc32d79f58bcca4f58bac0af07a3d3a.jpg

Lucky for you this has nothing to do with the weather. The BLF's car seat had to enter the ocean before the car did. IMO it was thrown off the groyne and the car entered the ocean only a matter of hour before it was found on the 22nd June 1988. It's lights were on when it entered the water and when it was found according to reports. IMO with the Ranger on the beach early every week morning, joggers, swimmers, and other beach users it would not have gone unnoticed and it didn't.

IMO there was an accident before the car entered the water which made it undrivable. It could have been disposed of anywhere else but it wasn't. It ended up in the ocean at Cottesloe Beach wanting to be found and really is the only evidence (besides clothes and possibly a wallet that turned up) that could shed some light on what happened to JC. Just my opinions.

So you maintain that someone? threw the seat into the ocean at some point then returned at a later date to place the car into the ocean? Clearly not a master criminal at work here. As for the lights being on.....I think you need to accept that the switch was on. This doesn't mean the lights were illuminated. You paint a picture of the car bobbing around in the water with lights blazing. The reality is that the thing was underwater, in darkness and not visible to beach users.

There were two incidents in Adelaide Tce (1987/88). The Sheraton Hotel in Adelaide Tce had a nightclub downstairs called Clouds. Perhaps the perpetrator had socialized at the Fenians Pub and later went to Clouds nightclub. However Sally Greenham disappeared early Thursday morning.

1987 – Thursday - 20 Aug - Sally Greenham aged 43 - Early Am after alighting a taxi in Adelaide Tce, Perth CBD. Had traveled from Geraldton (not in taxi). watoday

1988 - End of May – unnamed female aged 45 - Abducted from Sheraton Hotel, Adelaide Tce head bashed against a brick wall, dragged by hair, beaten, tied up and left at bridge in Wilson (cnr Leach Hwy & Centenary Ave). Perpetrator driving a small yellow car (possibly Toyota) Full article and Article inset

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/r...d-perths-nightclub-scene-20160525-gp3jkm.html

Could the Fiat have been a convertible? There doesnt appear to me to be evidence of flattened roof. Anyhow fiat ended up in Ocean rear bum seat bops out and is discovered in cott surf on 20th. Ranger contacts police who realise seat belongs to fiat model owned by JC. Subsequent search at cottesloe locate bottom floundering vehicle. If seat was found south of groyne perhaps the rips in area carried it there. Well known rips around groyne.

There were two incidents in Adelaide Tce (1987/88). The Sheraton Hotel in Adelaide Tce had a nightclub downstairs called Clouds. Perhaps the perpetrator had socialized at the Fenians Pub and later went to Clouds nightclub. However Sally Greenham disappeared early Thursday morning.

1987 – Thursday - 20 Aug - Sally Greenham aged 43 - Early Am after alighting a taxi in Adelaide Tce, Perth CBD. Had traveled from Geraldton (not in taxi). watoday

1988 - End of May – unnamed female aged 45 - Abducted from Sheraton Hotel, Adelaide Tce head bashed against a brick wall, dragged by hair, beaten, tied up and left at bridge in Wilson (cnr Leach Hwy & Centenary Ave). Perpetrator driving a small yellow car (possibly Toyota) Full article and Article inset

The Merlin Hotel used to have a nightclub as well. I'll try and remember the name of it one day.
The Merlin Hotel is now known as Hyatt Regency apparently. And it doesn't have the 24HR petrol station underneath it anymore

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Back in 1988 the Parmelia Hotel, Mill St, was within a fairly quiet part of Perth. Other than the Parmelia there wasn’t much else open that late at night. I don’t know if the Parmelia had a nightclub. I think there was a ballroom, which held functions.

Other places close by are the Barrack St ferries and his Majesty’s Theatre, but nothing would have been open that late. Terrace Rd and Mounts Bay Rd were mainly office buildings. Possibly the only thing open was the burger van on Mounts Bay Rd, near the Mount Hospital.

It’s only the last few years that the Bus Port, Perth Convention & Exhibition Centre and Elizabeth Quays have been built.

If JC was abducted from the Parmelia, it’s highly likely the perpetrator/s was or were staying or socializing at the Hotel too. I wonder if the Parmelia staff shared the staff car park with another business.

We probably need to look more closely at ICs male and female abduction theory.

Can anyone think of any other venues open on a Monday morning?
With regard to the Parmelia Hotel and its vicinity. Prior to the Bus Port, Perth Convention & Exhibition Centre and Elizabeth Quays were built, I think that entire area was a huge car park.

This video shows a car park at .43 and .46. Titled 'Lost Perth from Mounts Bay Rd to the Narrows' https://youtu.be/L5HsGtf2llg?t=46

If you are referring to the Pamela the nightclub wad Juliannias

The Merlin Hotel used to have a nightclub as well. I'll try and remember the name of it one day.
The Merlin Hotel is now known as Hyatt Regency apparently. And it doesn't have the 24HR petrol station underneath it anymore

Yes... the Hyatt was built about 1983 and was initially called the Merlin. I watched it being built each day I went past in the bus, when I worked at the Bureau of Statistics which was in the Taxation Building (Cnr Victoria Av & St Geo Tce)

If you are referring to the Pamela the nightclub wad Juliannias
No, the Merlin down the other end of town in East Perth on the corner of Plain St and Adelaide Tce. The nightclub there was closed last time I went looking for it. It was in the basement. Used to go there in 1985.

Hi Fast Eddie,

Agree. If we're to move on I think we have to accept some basic facts, ignition and lights we all know were on but not active and that there weren't two dumping events, only one. The science has been provided by Met that supports investigators claims the seat was in the car when it was ditched into the sea.

The side damage to the car if not done in the ocean puzzled because it does look like more like side swipe than the car turned side on being dragged over the sea floor. Cops said there was no paint chips or scrapes to indicate the car tumbled over the groyne but they don't tell us everything, EVER and they didn't say there were no scrapes on the service road bends.

We're not looking for another car involved in smashing JC's car. It hit a fixed object passenger side and it was the wall on the bend imo.

Driving or rolling a car FAST down a hill and around a bend aiming for the platform there's a good chance you'll lose it and swipe the side. He isn't going to care if he's bounced it off a retainer wall when the aim is to total it in the ocean.

When the cops said they were baffled at how the car got in the water, they were TROLLING the public, master trolls they do it all the time. Fishing. Waiting for a big noter to ring in and say "I know what happened you gooses, it went down the service road not over the groyne". Cops ... "Oh really, how do you know that?"

So you maintain that someone? threw the seat into the ocean at some point then returned at a later date to place the car into the ocean? Clearly not a master criminal at work here. As for the lights being on.....I think you need to accept that the switch was on. This doesn't mean the lights were illuminated. You paint a picture of the car bobbing around in the water with lights blazing. The reality is that the thing was underwater, in darkness and not visible to beach users.

Hi papertrail,

Julie's fiat was scalped, found roof down so dragged in that way which I think accounts for the damage. It was a 1968 four door Fiat, marketed as a family saloon. IIRC the only '68 convertible Fiat put out was the two door Spider.

Could the Fiat have been a convertible? There doesnt appear to me to be evidence of flattened roof. Anyhow fiat ended up in Ocean rear bum seat bops out and is discovered in cott surf on 20th. Ranger contacts police who realise seat belongs to fiat model owned by JC. Subsequent search at cottesloe locate bottom floundering vehicle. If seat was found south of groyne perhaps the rips in area carried it there. Well known rips around groyne.

With regard to the Parmelia Hotel and its vicinity. Prior to the Bus Port, Perth Convention & Exhibition Centre and Elizabeth Quays were built, I think that entire area was a huge car park.

This video shows a car park at .43 and .46. Titled 'Lost Perth from Mounts Bay Rd to the Narrows' https://youtu.be/L5HsGtf2llg?t=46
By 1988, the Forrest Centre was built, and Alexander's was opened. My work moved from the Paragon Building (now called 160 Central) to the Forrest Centre, when SGIC inherited the WA Inc assets in 1991. We used to take a short cut through the Parmelia and their carpark as we stored all the Riskcover files in the Basement of Westralia Square which the SGIC also inherited (We had to move the files from the SGIO Atrium as we were about to privatise the SGIO). Everytime I walked that route to Westralia Square I kept thinking "Julie Cutler was last seen at her car here". The bus port was already there, but not the Convention Centre. Bernie's hamburger joint closed to make way for building my wife's workplace, the Mount Hospital in 1980's. Like hundred's of people in Perth at the time we made a special trip to Bernie's on it's last trading day. I think that was in 1986, but it could've been later. http://eatmedininginperth.blogspot.com.au/2008/12/longish-history-of-perths-dining-out.html?m=1
https://youtu.be/aNmMz8BKvvs

The offender, either running along beside the car steering from outside or in a careless panic, has side swiped BLF on the bend (easy done - illustrated & could have come in on either service road). This leans towards there being a single offender imo. The back doors were locked.. Most of the damage to the roof was done in the retrieval hauling the car in.

This would place the Fiat eventually in about the right spot from where the towie's dragged it in.

attachment.php
That scenario sounds plausable. There doesn't appear to be much damage to the passenger side's rear panel. Perhaps the car wasn't pushed into the pylon by the waves.

There's enough slope on both of those service roads for the BLF to roll downward, picking up quite a bit of speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdw1990