Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank goodness the Ice box carry on has finished. Imagine someone going into to The Special Crime Squad & said we have a frame or 2 & Jr is in it. They'd say, so what, we have the killer in Hakea jail. It was going on a bit. There are plenty of unsolved murders to work on in Perth.

I am sure if it keeps going on someone will swear they can see a guy in a kimono attacking her with telephone wire and a silkscreen frame

Another interesting case is Raymond & Jenny Killet. They found him down a mineshaft but not her. A POI is an older man who was with them out of Sandstone, WA. He was on TV. Now he left camp at 3am to go back to Perth for work. They have searched all over Sandstone & down shafts. The way back to Perth is usually via Mt Magnet then south. But there is a straighter line s/w from Sandstone to Paynes Find. My bet is she is somewhere off that track. It is a dirt track with lots of cattle grids. I drove down that track in 1994 approx.

Oh this is VERY close to home for me! Jenny and Ray were "locals", she worked at the local Post Office at one stage and Ray's brother is our Pastor! It is the creepiest thing, and a lot of weird stuff has happened, won't go into it here, but let's just say bizarre doesn't come close. They were such a gorgeous couple and family. Very, very strange!

What sports did married women play in 1988?

My mum used to play casual tennis with her friends in the 80s. Can't remember because I was young but they probably wore white dresses/skirts (maybe pleated).

Attachments

• 1970s-1980s-two-couples-wearing-white-tennis-clothes-standing-on-court-G6CFWF.jpg
    1970s-1980s-two-couples-wearing-white-tennis-clothes-standing-on-court-G6CFWF.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 36
Another interesting case is Raymond & Jenny Killet. They found him down a mineshaft but not her. A POI is an older man who was with them out of Sandstone, WA. He was on TV. Now he left camp at 3am to go back to Perth for work. They have searched all over Sandstone & down shafts. The way back to Perth is usually via Mt Magnet then south. But there is a straighter line s/w from Sandstone to Paynes Find. My bet is she is somewhere off that track. It is a dirt track with lots of cattle grids. I drove down that track in 1994 approx.

Sorry, meant to tell you Jennys last IOU it's "Kehlet" the surname, not Killet, just in case anyone else is wanting to research it with you. Praying they do find her, such an awful case, so much sadness in the town for the family.

petedavo and janwa: Did I interpret the word ‘unit’ in the wrong way... could it have been a villa?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking the same, when I saw the villas on the corner.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Can someone post the article title from the Womens Weekly please. Pressreader never opens for me but I can search it. TIA
Claremont Horror
cc9915269601261df4cdc2d96b2f99a0.jpg

Oh this is VERY close to home for me! Jenny and Ray were "locals", she worked at the local Post Office at one stage and Ray's brother is our Pastor! It is the creepiest thing, and a lot of weird stuff has happened, won't go into it here, but let's just say bizarre doesn't come close. They were such a gorgeous couple and family. Very, very strange!
Sorry, meant to tell you Jennys last IOU it's "Kehlet" the surname, not Killet, just in case anyone else is wanting to research it with you. Praying they do find her, such an awful case, so much sadness in the town for the family.
Kehlet thread, if anyone's interested>
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276296

Great article. The only one I have seen recently that mentions throats being cut. When did they stop mentioning that I wonder?? Moo

Eastern States and overseas media always publishes more detail than Local media is willing to do, but that's same in other states with a local crime too. I think it's about only reporting verifiable facts.

Some very interesting observations made by seasoned detective in this article.

Jane almost certainly had a pre-arranged meeting with her killer, she knew him. The question is also asked if Sarah and Ciara also had met their killer previously.

Yet there's no CCTV of his face, which leads me to think again that he knew where all the cameras were.

I agree about the cameras. So much so that I wondered for awhile if he worked installing security cameras. I wonder if during the trial evidence will come out about him being spotted in the area otherwise or not?

Could it be possible one of BREs family provided a DNA sample - voluntarily? Once WAPOL reopened the HD case, perhaps they tracked-down the Edwards (parents), for further questioning.

Could it be possible a family member was a familial DNA donor and WAPOL agreed to keep the matter confidential.

WAPOL have been very vague with regard to the DNA connection, perhaps they can’t reveal the donor.

A family member holding a grudge – but why!

These are just my thoughts and opinions.

I think that's very possible. The person might not even have been holding a grudge but may have simply agreed after police explained the circumstances.

I think they'd have to be careful about the collection of any DNA, given it may have formed an integral part of their arrest and search. They wouldn't want their methods called into question and a whole lot of evidence ruled inadmissible as a result.

JMO

Coax was used for everything. Ethernet, PABX, video. He was a bees dick from being a network engineer.

I agree about the cameras. So much so that I wondered for awhile if he worked installing security cameras. I wonder if during the trial evidence will come out about him being spotted in the area otherwise or not?

Could it be possible one of BREs family provided a DNA sample - voluntarily? Once WAPOL reopened the HD case, perhaps they tracked-down the Edwards (parents), for further questioning.

Could it be possible a family member was a familial DNA donor and WAPOL agreed to keep the matter confidential.

WAPOL have been very vague with regard to the DNA connection, perhaps they can’t reveal the donor.

A family member holding a grudge – but why!

These are just my thoughts and opinions.

Police releasing information could impact the integrity of case, and affect the subjustice of the accused. Its probably not a matter for public release anyrate.

example: If one family member has a criminal conviction, releasing it could influence a jury if a jury was used.

Can anyone tell me what era the "Southside Rapist" was about? I get the impression that it was considered late 1980s or was it another time?

Can anyone tell me what era the "Southside Rapist" was about? I get the impression that it was considered late 1980s or was it another time?

1986 - 1988 (nine rapes in 1986, five in 1987 and one so far in 1988 (May) and murders of Victoria Clark and Vanessa Devlin according to statements by cops in the media).

The West Australian June 18[SUP]th,[/SUP] 1988, page 1. By Steve Lague. New Southside murder hunt.
Police find partially clothed body of Vanessa Roberta Devlin 23 years old.

Certain similarities to other attacks by south side rapist.

Found on floor of a sleepout at the rear of an Albany Highway house. House is 100m from highway and no close neighbours with a railway line running alongside.

South side rapist may be responsible for more than 16 attacks on women in the past 2 years. They include the murder of Victoria Clark aged 30.

Sunday Times Perth, June 26[SUP]th[/SUP] 1988.

Pg 26 Police silent on girl’s heroin running
Federal Police allege Victoria Devlin was involved in a heroin ring.

Victoria Devlin (23) was charged with heroin possession several days before being killed, under the customs act.

Denis Michael Herbert (26) was charged the day before and is in Canningvale Remand Centre. He had a visit from VD on the day she was murdered. It was alleged she was a courier bringing heroin in from the Eastern States.

Pg 30 Arrest, but rapist search still on by Andrew Masterson.

James Alexander Tilbury (46) was arrested for the VD murder.

A man is still sought for the southside rapes and the Victoria Clark (30) murder. There had been nine rapes in 1986, five in 1987 and one so far this year.

Cops so convinced they had the southside rapist as they had a description of the person in the car and the car that picked her up near Canningvale Remand Centre just after visiting her boyfriend. They gave a detailed description on the car which she was seen in and was parked outside the house for a couple of hours at the time of her death.

Very efficient policing when Tilbury was picked up near the murder scene about a week later even though he didn't match the description, own a car that matched the detailed description, know that she had been visiting her boyfriend on Remand at Cannigvale and had no idea really why he sexually assaulted and murdered her.

Cops were convinced that the southside rapes and murders of VC and VD were connected, but Tilbury wasn't the southside rapist.

Murder Hunt Car Clue The Sunday Times 19th June 1988 Dead in bedroom by Andrew Masterson and Maxine Brown

Police investigating the brutal sex murder of Vanessa Roberta Devlin, 23, have appealed to the public to help in the search for a man who gave her a lift to her Maddington house just before she was murdered.

The man was seen arriving in a metallic green Datsun 260 C sedan and is believed to be the last person to see her alive.

Senior Detective Sergeant Max Kiernan the man heading the hunt for the notorious “Southside rapist” said yesterday the 1976 ? or 1977 model car had been parked at Miss Devlin’s house at 2003 (1999?) Albany Highway. It had mag wheels, stickers on the rear windscreen and black and yellow registration plates.

Urgent
The urgent hunt for the driver of the vehicle may help to resolve the disturbing question haunting police this weekend. Was the murder the work of the “southside rapist” or is there now a second sex fiend stalking the southern suburb?

Sergeant Katich said police believed the driver of the car had given Miss Devlin a lift to her home when she was hitch hiking from a friend’s house on Friday morning.

It is believed she was picked up near Nicholson Rd Canning Vale. Senior D-S Vince Katich said the murder had occurred between 11.30 am and 2.00pm on Friday (17[SUP]th[/SUP] June 1988). Her body was discovered about 3.00 pm by the other occupant of the house, Mr Max Carroll. She was lying in a rear bedroom naked from the waist down and had been strangled with an electrical cord.

Mr Carroll was yesterday being interviewed by police but was not suspected of any involvement in the crime.

Miss Devlin, unemployed had been living at the house for only seven weeks before her death.

The house is an old rambling bungalow set back from the road on a large block next to Stockerly railway station. It is surrounded by trees and tall bamboo plants and has no near neighbours.

Police sources said it appeared Miss Devlin had been strangled while she was being raped. The sources said there were marked differences between her killing and that of Victoria Clarke – but a link between them had not been discounted.

“There is every chance it is the same person involved, but we just can’t say” said S Kiernan. “There are indications? and some evidence to support a connection.”

Copycat crime

He said the daylight timing of the killing was “out of character” for the southside rapist who is thought to have so far struck at night.

He said it was possible it was s copycat crime.

“But I think we are one step closer to catching the southside rapist” he said.

Det Sgt Katch said they are “extremely confident” the man seen driving the Datson could explain what had happened on Friday. Continued Pg 2.

No blocks of units existed in Huntingdale in 1988, if you mean hi-rise.

Area surrounding the accused parents house was all Bush through to the backyards of houses on the next street parallel. I think it's called Bullfinch now.
The streets and houses seen on Google Maps in between didn't exist then.

Probably a peeping toms paradise, jumping fences, (if there were any - some of the properties along the eastern end of Bullfinch still don't have any fences).

cache.php

Were you getting mixed up with the block of 8 units in Vic Park that Victoria Clark was murdered in?

Murder Hunt Car Clue The Sunday Times 19th June 1988 Dead in bedroom by Andrew Masterson and Maxine Brown

Police investigating the brutal sex murder of Vanessa Roberta Devlin, 23, have appealed to the public to help in the search for a man who gave her a lift to her Maddington house just before she was murdered.

The man was seen arriving in a metallic green Datsun 260 C sedan and is believed to be the last person to see her alive.

Senior Detective Sergeant Max Kiernan the man heading the hunt for the notorious “Southside rapist” said yesterday the 1976 ? or 1977 model car had been parked at Miss Devlin’s house at 2003 (1999?) Albany Highway. It had mag wheels, stickers on the rear windscreen and black and yellow registration plates.

Urgent
The urgent hunt for the driver of the vehicle may help to resolve the disturbing question haunting police this weekend. Was the murder the work of the “southside rapist” or is there now a second sex fiend stalking the southern suburb?

Sergeant Katich said police believed the driver of the car had given Miss Devlin a lift to her home when she was hitch hiking from a friend’s house on Friday morning.

It is believed she was picked up near Nicholson Rd Canning Vale. Senior D-S Vince Katich said the murder had occurred between 11.30 am and 2.00pm on Friday (17[SUP]th[/SUP] June 1988). Her body was discovered about 3.00 pm by the other occupant of the house, Mr Max Carroll. She was lying in a rear bedroom naked from the waist down and had been strangled with an electrical cord.

Mr Carroll was yesterday being interviewed by police but was not suspected of any involvement in the crime.

Miss Devlin, unemployed had been living at the house for only seven weeks before her death.

The house is an old rambling bungalow set back from the road on a large block next to Stockerly railway station. It is surrounded by trees and tall bamboo plants and has no near neighbours.

Police sources said it appeared Miss Devlin had been strangled while she was being raped. The sources said there were marked differences between her killing and that of Victoria Clarke – but a link between them had not been discounted.

“There is every chance it is the same person involved, but we just can’t say” said S Kiernan. “There are indications? and some evidence to support a connection.”

Copycat crime

He said the daylight timing of the killing was “out of character” for the southside rapist who is thought to have so far struck at night.

He said it was possible it was s copycat crime.

“But I think we are one step closer to catching the southside rapist” he said.

Det Sgt Katch said they are “extremely confident” the man seen driving the Datson could explain what had happened on Friday. Continued Pg 2.

Thanks IC. I was looking at some articles more 1996ish. I didn't have time to see if there were any resolution to the crimes but with the descriptions was not CSK related. My sources unfortunately don't have news much before 1997.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...ss-as-serial-killer-still-roams-free-1.149685

There was always a hint of DNA with CG. Why would an organisation set up after CG's death buy a DNA analyser if there was no DNA.

Quoted from the article above.
"Almost immediately afterwards the Secure Community Foundation was set up by Denis Glennon's colleagues to raise money for extra resources to help the police investigation. The funds paid for a DNA analyser to scan the oral swabs given by the hundreds interviewed after the murder."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weskerwife