Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...ss-as-serial-killer-still-roams-free-1.149685

There was always a hint of DNA with CG. Why would an organisation set up after CG's death buy a DNA analyser if there was no DNA.

Quoted from the article above.
"Almost immediately afterwards the Secure Community Foundation was set up by Denis Glennon's colleagues to raise money for extra resources to help the police investigation. The funds paid for a DNA analyser to scan the oral swabs given by the hundreds interviewed after the murder."
Not much point, if there was nothing to compare it to.
Ipso facto, they had recovered DNA from the crime scene.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

1986 - 1988 (nine rapes in 1986, five in 1987 and one so far in 1988 (May) and murders of Victoria Clark and Vanessa Devlin according to statements by cops in the media).

The West Australian June 18[SUP]th,[/SUP] 1988, page 1. By Steve Lague. New Southside murder hunt.
Police find partially clothed body of Vanessa Roberta Devlin 23 years old.

Certain similarities to other attacks by south side rapist.

Found on floor of a sleepout at the rear of an Albany Highway house. House is 100m from highway and no close neighbours with a railway line running alongside.

South side rapist may be responsible for more than 16 attacks on women in the past 2 years. They include the murder of Victoria Clark aged 30.

Sunday Times Perth, June 26[SUP]th[/SUP] 1988.

Pg 26 Police silent on girl’s heroin running
Federal Police allege Victoria Devlin was involved in a heroin ring.

Victoria Devlin (23) was charged with heroin possession several days before being killed, under the customs act.

Denis Michael Herbert (26) was charged the day before and is in Canningvale Remand Centre. He had a visit from VD on the day she was murdered. It was alleged she was a courier bringing heroin in from the Eastern States.

Pg 30 Arrest, but rapist search still on by Andrew Masterson.

James Alexander Tilbury (46) was arrested for the VD murder.

A man is still sought for the southside rapes and the Victoria Clark (30) murder. There had been nine rapes in 1986, five in 1987 and one so far this year.

Cops so convinced they had the southside rapist as they had a description of the person in the car and the car that picked her up near Canningvale Remand Centre just after visiting her boyfriend. They gave a detailed description on the car which she was seen in and was parked outside the house for a couple of hours at the time of her death.

Very efficient policing when Tilbury was picked up near the murder scene about a week later even though he didn't match the description, own a car that matched the detailed description, know that she had been visiting her boyfriend on Remand at Cannigvale and had no idea really why he sexually assaulted and murdered her.

Cops were convinced that the southside rapes and murders of VC and VD were connected, but Tilbury wasn't the southside rapist.

I haven't read anyone else's comments. Forgive me if someone has posted this.

Masters raped and murdered 30-year-old Victoria Clarke in her home on Leonard St, Victoria Park, in April 1987

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa...s-in-jail-ng-caabadc94c068367a745b2fea510be56

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...ss-as-serial-killer-still-roams-free-1.149685

There was always a hint of DNA with CG. Why would an organisation set up after CG's death buy a DNA analyser if there was no DNA.

Quoted from the article above.
"Almost immediately afterwards the Secure Community Foundation was set up by Denis Glennon's colleagues to raise money for extra resources to help the police investigation. The funds paid for a DNA analyser to scan the oral swabs given by the hundreds interviewed after the murder."

Maybe I am missing something, but the DNA situation has always confused me, and this only adds to that confusion. (Not you, DRT, but the information).

If they had DNA from CG originally then why weren't they able to link it to KK straight away? Police dismissed any link to that even when profilers were interested, and didn't link the DNA until years later.

If they had DNA from CG originally, why was it considered a breakthrough when the body/artifacts were re-examined many years later and they found something they'd previously overlooked that they got DNA from? That breakthrough sounded to me like the first DNA they had?

BUT on the other hand

If they didn't have any DNA originally, why swab all the taxi drivers? I suppose it could have been for future purposes, but didn't they actually rule them out?

And now, this article add to that. If they didn't have DNA originally, why the need for a special analysis machine?

So did they have some DNA to begin with, but it didn't link to KK, and it was only when they found something else on CG that they got DNA that did? But how could that possibly work? Is there more than one person's DNA on CG?

Or was there DNA on JR that we never heard about? But then why didn't that link to KK as the DNA on CG does? If it doesn't link to KK, doesn't that suggests a different perpetrator?

Apologies if I am missing something obvious. If so, please do point it out. I'm either legitimately baffled or losing my marbles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks IC. I was looking at some articles more 1996ish. I didn't have time to see if there were any resolution to the crimes but with the descriptions was not CSK related. My sources unfortunately don't have news much before 1997.
Drt ,
In earlier threads this was discussed in detail . There was a few different perpetrators who got the name "SSR"

This guy was mentioned as well as other offenders.
They all may have been called the southside rapist at times .

https://article.wn.com/view/1999/08/06/Vengeful_rapist_jailed_for_18_years/

Drt ,
In earlier threads this was discussed in detail . There was a few different perpetrators who got the name "SSR"

This guy was mentioned as well as other offenders.
They all may have been called the southside rapist at times .

https://article.wn.com/view/1999/08/06/Vengeful_rapist_jailed_for_18_years/

The only South side rapist label given by the cops and reported in the media in response the "nine rapes in 1986, five in 1987 and one so far in 1988 (May) and murders of Victoria Clark and Vanessa Devlin after Vanessa Clark's murder in September 1997 until Vanessa Devlin's murder June 1998.

Other labels like "vengeful rapist", "Murdoch rapist", etc were given.

Thanks IC. I was looking at some articles more 1996ish. I didn't have time to see if there were any resolution to the crimes but with the descriptions was not CSK related. My sources unfortunately don't have news much before 1997.
Anything before around 1996 you have to source from the Bayte Library microfiche.

James Alexander Tilbury (46) gave a heroin trafficker a lift to her house and murdered her spontaneously. mmmmm

"Just a young lass I picked up and for some reason, I killed her," he said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-...double-murderer-calls-for-cctv-reform/5458562

Yes I read this too Credulious. Like I said before, incredible how blasé these perpetrators are isn't it? I think they are being totally honest when they say things such as "for some reason" they can't remember, it's so insignificant for them. As I said, pity the poor police who have to deal with these types, would do my head in. (Well more than it's already done now!)

The only South side rapist label given by the cops and reported in the media in response the "nine rapes in 1986, five in 1987 and one so far in 1988 (May) and murders of Victoria Clark and Vanessa Devlin after Vanessa Clark's murder in September 1997 until Vanessa Devlin's murder June 1998.

Other labels like "vengeful rapist", "Murdoch rapist", etc were given.

re Vanessa Devlin:

098ec57b49595d85c07c58cadb671b20.jpg

Drt , theres an identikit picture also .

Post # 541 - # 548 , date mar 06 , 2017 thread #14
Southside rapist discussion .

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13357311

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13357437

http://aussiecriminals.com.au/convicted-of-serious-crime-list/comment-page-1/#comments

Apparently in a book ,
"Eating Goldfish and Other Delicacies" Garlett is referred to as the southside rapist :

February 12, 2012
Hi,
I am trying to find information on a serial rapist from the 80s in the Perth area he was convicted on 16 rape charges and possibly 1 murder he was named the south side rapist he is due to be released from the bunbury prison this year I know this is not much information but I am hoping someone remembers this guy ?

There were two replies

'May 28, 2012
comment :

'Paul stephen keating is possible the person you refer to. He is being detained indefinitely'

March 20, 2014
Comment :

'Donald Garlett is the name you are looking for, you will find heaps of information on him in my jail book “Eating Goldfish and Other Delicacies by Trevor Dunen, look in the chapeter “The Upholstery Shop”. Best regards '

"He stabbed her to death at a small gathering in Huntingdale and was sentenced to life with a 14 year minimum.

Hart's 14 year minimum term was due to expire in mid 2015 - little did he know, detectives were re-investigating*the 1994 Bicton rape.

In 2015, officers and forensic scientists using new technology got a match for Hart's DNA on a small piece of blue fabric, extracted from the victim's underwear.

With this new evidence, Hart was charged in October 2015 with burglary and commit, two counts of aggravated sexual penetration without consent, two counts of attempted aggravated sexual penetration without consent and stealing."

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/m...ver-cold-case-perth-rape-20170609-gwo1ce.html

Kimono pictures channel 9 news .

No link available
873629c0fd6927ae19b5cd4d54c5b58a.jpg
2cf06fe9600abcdd7567d41df85172f2.jpg

My Theory

1988 Offender on the prowl in Huntingdale, sees the Kimono on a line and takes so it hides the clothing he's wearing at the time. The rape victim could recognize the clothes he's wearing. kinda like when people break into your house the will steal your socks off the line so they don't leave fingerprints. not cause they have a kinky sock fetish. ehe

Kimono pictures channel 9 news .

No link available
cache.php
cache.php

....and thats a different cop than the cop pictured in newspaper pics.

More cop DNA on kimono - some lawyer better be good at arguing 'for' DNA practices in the 80's!!!

Maybe I am missing something, but the DNA situation has always confused me, and this only adds to that confusion. (Not you, DRT, but the information).

If they had DNA from CG originally then why weren't they able to link it to KK straight away? Police dismissed any link to that even when profilers were interested, and didn't link the DNA until years later.

If they had DNA from CG originally, why was it considered a breakthrough when the body/artifacts were re-examined many years later and they found something they'd previously overlooked that they got DNA from? That breakthrough sounded to me like the first DNA they had?

BUT on the other hand

If they didn't have any DNA originally, why swab all the taxi drivers? I suppose it could have been for future purposes, but didn't they actually rule them out?

And now, this article add to that. If they didn't have DNA originally, why the need for a special analysis machine?

So did they have some DNA to begin with, but it didn't link to KK, and it was only when they found something else on CG that they got DNA that did? But how could that possibly work? Is there more than one person's DNA on CG?

Or was there DNA on JR that we never heard about? But then why didn't that link to KK as the DNA on CG does? If it doesn't link to KK, doesn't that suggests a different perpetrator?

Apologies if I am missing something obvious. If so, please do point it out. I'm either legitimately baffled or losing my marbles.

Akai - you certainly do have all your marbles! I been saying exactly the same things a few pages back, and for ages. Sending my spooky-self crazy until late at night, trying to nail down the logic, sequence, and operational reasons Macro did what they did.

There is soooooooo much we don't know.

"He stabbed her to death at a small gathering in Huntingdale and was sentenced to life with a 14 year minimum.

Hart's 14 year minimum term was due to expire in mid 2015 - little did he know, detectives were re-investigating*the 1994 Bicton rape.

In 2015, officers and forensic scientists using new technology got a match for Hart's DNA on a small piece of blue fabric, extracted from the victim's underwear.

With this new evidence, Hart was charged in October 2015 with burglary and commit, two counts of aggravated sexual penetration without consent, two counts of attempted aggravated sexual penetration without consent and stealing."

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/m...ver-cold-case-perth-rape-20170609-gwo1ce.html

Only 14 years for murder?

who washes a dressing gown with a belt? gets tangled in the washing. :tantrum:

Only 14 years for murder?

Admittedly research from 2011 Spooky One, but looks like if you're going to do something nasty it's a good idea to do it in WA!

Quote from article below BBM:

"Of the most serious crimes, dealt with by the District or High courts, WA handed down the most lenient sentences for sexual assault and related offences, robbery and extortion, break and enter, and theft.The state was only behind the ACT for sentences in relation to murder and related offences, acts intended to cause injury, and fraud and deception."
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/w...t-sentences-in-nation-abs-20110627-1gnd7.html

Ah WA - Do the crime, and you won't do much time! Now there's a slogan for Tourism WA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member