Australia Australia - Claremont SK, 1996-97, Perth, WA - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Photos snipped:

I've typed the article which was difficult to read - didn't take me long.

Missing Items Add to Julie Mystery

By Norm Nisbett

A missing shoulder bag and a set of clothes are adding to the mystery of missing Fremantle woman Julie Leanne Cutler. Police can’t understand why neither items were washed up on Cottesloe beach, where her Fiat sedan was found last week.

Party
While they refuse to speculate, it does raise doubt on whether she was in the car when it was scuttled. The police say Julie, 22 was carrying both items when she left a staff party at the Parmelia Hilton Hotel, about 12.30am on Monday June 20. She was last seen in the Hotel’s staff car park unlocking her vehicle.
The missing items puzzle was examined by major crime squad Detective Snr Constable Ron Carey, who is working on the case with Det-Sgt Vince Katich. He said they were anxious for any information about the bag and clothes. They hope their recovery will help establish Julie’s movements. The light-brown leather shoulder bag was about 30cm long and about 22cm deep, it had a ??something?? over flap. The clothing items were the white blouse and black skirt worn in her job at the Parmelia. These were in a white plastic bag. Julie had changed out of the clothes at 10pm on Sunday June 10 when she finished work in the hotel and prepared for the staff-only party in the hotel night-club.

Work
“We are puzzled why neither bag seems to have washed up, when a back seat was able to float out of the car”. Det Carey said. The detectives are also puzzled as to why, if Julie is dead, no body has been washed up – 13 days after her disappearance.
“At the moment we haven’t been able to find anything that was owned, carried or worn by her on the night she disappeared”, he said.
“We need something ???tangible ??? something we can pick up and hold.
Det. Carey said interviews with hotel staff had established that Julie had walked up to the car with her plastic bag, containing the clothes, in her left hand. A senior male employee spoke to her briefly before she walked off to the passenger side of her vehicle to unlock it – apparently because the driver’s side door could not be unlocked from the outside. He did not see her get into the car. When the car was found in the Cottesloe surf, both front doors were unlocked, the driver’s side door open and flapping in the water. All the windows were shut, except the driver’s window.
Julie’s father says he has lost hope she will be found alive. Her sister Nicole 21, believes there is a chance she has been abducted and has appealed to anyone who might be holding her to let her go.
Thank you no name and Canning Vale for your efforts - appreciated!

The fact that "the driver’s side door (was) open and flapping in the water" is indicative IMO of someone being in the driver's seat driving the car (perhaps down the boat ramp) and bailing at the last minute out the driver's door.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I've typed the article which was difficult to read - didn't take me long.

Missing Items Add to Julie Mystery

By Norm Nisbett

A missing shoulder bag and a set of clothes are adding to the mystery of missing Fremantle woman Julie Leanne Cutler. Police can’t understand why neither items were washed up on Cottesloe beach, where her Fiat sedan was found last week.

Party
While they refuse to speculate, it does raise doubt on whether she was in the car when it was scuttled. The police say Julie, 22 was carrying both items when she left a staff party at the Parmelia Hilton Hotel, about 12.30am on Monday June 20. She was last seen in the Hotel’s staff car park unlocking her vehicle.
The missing items puzzle was examined by major crime squad Detective Snr Constable Ron Carey, who is working on the case with Det-Sgt Vince Katich. He said they were anxious for any information about the bag and clothes. They hope their recovery will help establish Julie’s movements. The light-brown leather shoulder bag was about 30cm long and about 22cm deep, it had a ??something?? over flap. The clothing items were the white blouse and black skirt worn in her job at the Parmelia. These were in a white plastic bag. Julie had changed out of the clothes at 10pm on Sunday June 10 when she finished work in the hotel and prepared for the staff-only party in the hotel night-club.

Work
“We are puzzled why neither bag seems to have washed up, when a back seat was able to float out of the car”. Det Carey said. The detectives are also puzzled as to why, if Julie is dead, no body has been washed up – 13 days after her disappearance.
“At the moment we haven’t been able to find anything that was owned, carried or worn by her on the night she disappeared”, he said.
“We need something ???tangible ??? something we can pick up and hold.
Det. Carey said interviews with hotel staff had established that Julie had walked up to the car with her plastic bag, containing the clothes, in her left hand. A senior male employee spoke to her briefly before she walked off to the passenger side of her vehicle to unlock it – apparently because the driver’s side door could not be unlocked from the outside. He did not see her get into the car. When the car was found in the Cottesloe surf, both front doors were unlocked, the driver’s side door open and flapping in the water. All the windows were shut, except the driver’s window.
Julie’s father says he has lost hope she will be found alive. Her sister Nicole 21, believes there is a chance she has been abducted and has appealed to anyone who might be holding her to let her go.

Champion effort Canning Vale and no name

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the articles well done #noname .
would really like to see the picture of cott beach, would you be kind enough to take a good picture of it ?
Ive edited it for clarity but still its too blurry .
a56119a8f3ce5ff92471caed8408ac37.jpg

fe84c6a670ccc8e35d7201ccdd829b25.jpg
snippet from this article describing position of the car .
b37db6627212441c642801aa68b2eb79.jpg

Photos snipped:

Thank you no name and Canning Vale for your efforts - appreciated!

The fact that "the driver’s side door (was) open and flapping in the water" is indicative IMO of someone being in the driver's seat driving the car (perhaps down the boat ramp) and bailing at the last minute out the driver's door.

More like walked alongside the car, whilst steering. Either way wouldn't have had time to close the door. And didn't need too.

877c183023c6f98d945eccb2c1af8569.jpg

Bra bra , top left corner could be a clue ? No google search for, Bra bra 1988 perth.
862e2bc8262666b787cce5b7d0eae255.jpg

This is the search results .
https://www.brabar.com.au/

Below is an example of body types of men. Could you please let me know which category BRE fits into. Many thanks.
attachment.php

Attachments

• body-types-men.jpg
    body-types-men.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 195
Below is an example of body types of men. Could you please let me know which category BRE fits into. Many thanks.
attachment.php

Are you asking about BRE's body shape now?
Or during the 80-90's when he allegedly committed the crimes?

I would say:
Currently = overweight rhomboid
80-90's = rectangle

Thanks for the articles well done #noname .
would really like to see the picture of cott beach, would you be kind enough to take a good picture of it ?
Ive edited it for clarity but still its too blurry .
a56119a8f3ce5ff92471caed8408ac37.jpg

fe84c6a670ccc8e35d7201ccdd829b25.jpg
snippet from this article describing position of the car .
b37db6627212441c642801aa68b2eb79.jpg
This article also mentions that "it appears her car was driven off the end of the Cottesloe groyne some time after she was last seen".

Are you asking about BRE's body shape now?
Or during the 80-90's when he allegedly committed the crimes?

I would say:
Currently = overweight rhomboid
80-90's = rectangle

Hi Spooks,

I need feedback on both ages, so you were right to add both. Many thanks.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

All of these articles are from the Daily News. About 15 more photos to follow including West Australian and Sunday Times articles.
Thanks to Spinnaker for the visuals on the upload process - they look nothing like what I was seeing. Switched to laptop so hopefully have some better luck (if I don't keep getting logged out in the meantime)
Thanks to Canningvale for transcribing the article - plenty more to come if you have the time and the inclination to do so.me more.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Don't know how much use these will be to anyone - at least we will have all seen them though.
These are the best I could get from microfiche and I have not tried to modify them.
They are not sideways in my computer either???

Attachments

• WP_20170424_017.jpg
    WP_20170424_017.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 204
  • WP_20170424_018.jpg
    WP_20170424_018.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 204
  • WP_20170424_020.jpg
    WP_20170424_020.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 204
  • WP_20170424_021.jpg
    WP_20170424_021.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 202
  • WP_20170424_023.jpg
    WP_20170424_023.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 200
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

1st shot from Daily News
2nd - 3rd shots from West Australian in days following her disappearance
4th - 5th relating to Vanessa Devlin murder

Attachments

• WP_20170424_024.jpg
    WP_20170424_024.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 255
  • WP_20170424_026.jpg
    WP_20170424_026.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 256
  • WP_20170424_028.jpg
    WP_20170424_028.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 251
  • WP_20170424_029.jpg
    WP_20170424_029.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 260
  • WP_20170424_030.jpg
    WP_20170424_030.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 252
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

these are a mishmash of various papers at the time - sorry not sure which is which.
Middle one is either the Post or a community newspaper - Chronicle perhaps

Attachments

• WP_20170424_031.jpg
    WP_20170424_031.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 51
  • WP_20170424_033.jpg
    WP_20170424_033.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 169
  • WP_20170424_034.jpg
    WP_20170424_034.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 173
  • WP_20170424_037.jpg
    WP_20170424_037.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 175
It also stated in that article that the perp was more of a stocky build ( BRE is clearly not a stocky man)
Lets face it..Perth is full of creeps!

It's difficult to describe BREs physique, but after looking on the internet I think he's, 'Tall and stout in stature'.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

These are from Sunday Times years later and the 1st time I found a photo of the car. Not to say there isn't a photo available, I just didn't have the time to spend looking through it all unfortunately.

Attachments

• WP_20170424_039.jpg
    WP_20170424_039.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 214
  • WP_20170424_040.jpg
    WP_20170424_040.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 209
  • WP_20170424_041.jpg
    WP_20170424_041.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 205
  • WP_20170424_042.jpg
    WP_20170424_042.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 213
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

These are from Sunday Times years later and the 1st time I found a photo of the car. Not to say there isn't a photo available, I just didn't have the time to spend looking through it all unfortunately.

Hmm, Fiat definitely damaged. Roof squashed toward passenger side as if landing on roof at an angle or if caused by dragging upside down over snags at an angle. Would the car stay buoyant even to float to the groyne from a container ship in Gage roads?
I remember a story in 80's about a ship's crew that went on a rampage and abducted a couple at an ATM in Vic Park and left them for dead in Queens Park in the bush near where the Dept of Transport is on Welshpool Rd taking their car back to the ship.
I wonder if something similar was possible? Would dumping it over the side of a ship cause such damage?
I've only seen such damage before at an Airshow at Pearce when a chopper dropped an old car for a demonstration.
Hmm, SAS Swanbourne has helicopters and APCs.but then again there was a cliff that could be driven over at an old quarry in Cottesloe, not to mention the cliff at Mudurup rocks.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Shot 1 - Google image of Cott Groyne before repair - the end was badly deteriorated from memory and you can see the step down to the rocks on the right hand side I mentioned previously.
Shot 2 is my attempt to modify shot 3 which is the photo of the article from microfiche.
My phone has 20 mega pixel camera, its just poor quality images in the library record.

Previous posters have stated that the seas were calm at the time she disappeared -I disagree. Seas were murky. Waves were breaking from the groyne in the photo showing the location the car was found. Major storms in the south of the state. Plus the article about the relatives looking for clues on the beach quote rough seas and surfers. You simply cant surf Cott Main in calm seas, theres nothing to surf. It needs a swell and wind to produce a surfable wave.

I think its absolutely possible the car sustained the damage in the water. I got dumped there once whilst swimming in summer and it ripped my shorts clean off. To be able to do that damage to her car in winter seas - no problem at all and irrespective of where or how it went in IMO. Was she in the car at the time too though, and never surfaced - I also think that's possible. Did someone find her car abandoned and skylark it into the sea - well, seeing I grew up in that area I know that's absolutely 100% possible too. Definitely not "going too far" for teenagers in that time and place. They trashed everything without regard and had no concept of someone actually having to work for what they had.
Do I think her disappearance is also the work of CSK - its possible, but No, not really.

Hmm, Fiat definitely damaged. Roof squashed toward passenger side as if landing on roof at an angle or if caused by dragging upside down over snags at an angle. Would the car stay buoyant even to float to the groyne from a container ship in Gage roads?
I remember a story in 80's about a ship's crew that went on a rampage and abducted a couple at an ATM in Vic Park and left them for dead in Queens Park in the bush near where the Dept of Transport is on Welshpool Rd taking their car back to the ship.
I wonder if something similar was possible? Would dumping it over the side of a ship cause such damage?
I've only seen such damage before at an Airshow at Pearce when a chopper dropped an old car for a demonstration.
Hmm, SAS Swanbourne has helicopters and APCs.but then again there was a cliff that could be driven over at an old quarry in Cottesloe, not to mention the cliff at Mudurup rocks.

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk
There are quite a few articles at the time mentioning that the car was likely/ driven off the Cottesloe groyne - I am starting to think that this is correct. Perhaps the BLF (Brave Little Fiat) flipped over and hit the rocks of the groyne going down. This impact and the force of the seas could have resulted in the damage.

Thanks no name for posting them. My laptop and done a few flips reading them. It was good to see a picture of a car that looked like a car not like the square box that was copied from the video. A few things I noticed from the articles. The fiat mentioned in 1 of the articles is fairly specific being a 1963 2 tone Fiat 125 sedan.

JC worked room Service 6 - 10. I am assuming the party started before then. She changed 10pm into a black evening gown high necked collar with gold buttons on the right lapel. Black shoes and Black stockings.

http://www.news.com.au/news/vanishe...g/news-story/1f9da6564bf58fdfb6f6532c5e7b5d2f
The black stockings were found with the uniform but it doesn't mention the shoes. If Julie went to the cafe after the function maybe she did take them off. If she was intending on going somewhere else afterwards then she would probably keep them on since she was dressed up IMO.
------
Two promising reports checked by detectives came to nothing.

One was that a beach-front resident at Cottesloe had heard a screen on the Monday morning Miss Cutler left the Parmelia function.

That turned out to be a brawl involving young people.

The detectives have now established that the woman on the Ansett Pioneer bus was a blonde not a brunette. She was also smoking heavily and drinking beer.

Miss Cutler did not smoke and was not a regular beer drinker.
---
Maybe if there were young people around having a brawl perhaps drinking maybe they also took a car down the groyne.

The car door being open and front window being open does hint at someone even solo driving and getting out the door.

One of the articles from 9 July 2000 also mentions a CSK suspect assumingly LW's seemingly loose connection of them both being at WAIT in 1983 and 1984 perhaps doing a psychology unit together with LW denying knowing her.

Not sure if he went quiet, he may have moved his hunting ground to the Highgate area where prostitutes were busy. Abductions, sexual assaults and deaths among them were the reason Con Bayen's Prostitute task force was set up 2000 -2002 to try to catch. DM was charged with one offence and suspected of another but was BRE the "boot lined man" caught in this operation?
Any theories why BRE went quiet after CG? I know in 1997 when I worked at the WC they were considering what software packages to purchase in preparation for the new millennium. In 1998 we were busy ensuring data was migrating correctly too. All the different regions were affected by the preparations.

Perhaps BRE worked within a team, on one of the pre-Millennium projects. I should imagine Telstra was very busy at that time.

In addition, there’s been the introduction of “gory” computer games which probably kept BRE entertained for hours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper