Australia Australia - Claremont SK, 1996-97, Perth, WA - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spinnaker I think that article was 1 of only 2 that I found in The West Australian.

In my first post after going to the library I mentioned that the "facts" of the case, which extended to the condition & location of the vehicle, very much depended on which newspaper was telling the story & presumably dependant on who they spoke to to obtain those facts. On the whole, I think it is quite obvious that the police fully expected her body to be washed up ashore, thus confirming it was a probable suicide and only got somewhat serious about her disappearance once that didnt occur. I dont think much care was taken to relay the "facts" accurately at all for that reason.

To be honest, I wish I had a week to spend at the library. In almost 2 hours I'd looked fairly thoroughly through the 1st reel of the Daily News only. I had another 8 or so to go through with no time to do it. I then had a really quick look at the 2 articles that were listed in the library catalogue and then only very briefly in the issues of the various papers immediately following her disappearance. My focus at the time was finding a picture of the car & I was manically loading and unloading reels without paying appropriate attention to exactly where the info was coming from. I have the order the photos were taken in and the info in the articles as best reference for the most part. I hope I haven't broken the rules referencing them as such. I hope that answers your question regarding clarification of the make/model in the articles too Innerchild.

I have no idea why the photos are upside down and sideways they are not like that in my computer but my apologies about that anyway.

The article in the Sunday Times in 2000 connecting her to CSK possibly states that whilst they police have more evidence to suggest a connection, they remain tightlipped. Id be interested to know what that may be considering in 2000 they didnt appear to have any clues at all regarding the identity of CSK from memory. Perhaps we are in for a real eye opener of a trial sometime next year after all.

Has anyone ever compared the dates of any of the numerous disappearances in Perth against WA school holidays? Ive had a quick look but couldn't locate them. If BRE is responsible for any then perhaps whilst with his 2nd wife, that may be a factor.
Thanks no name, these articles are very helpful indeed - think there is great benefit from visits to the library.

The connection between JC and one of the main CSK POI's is an interesting one.

Not sure if he went quiet, he may have moved his hunting ground to the Highgate area where prostitutes were busy. Abductions, sexual assaults and deaths among them were the reason Con Bayen's Prostitute task force was set up 2000 -2002 to try to catch. DM was charged with one offence and suspected of another but was BRE the "boot lined man" caught in this operation?

Innerchild,

Many thanks that makes sense. We should have a timeline of events.

Regards CV

There is a far chance if you pushed a car down the hill or put it in drive and let it roll by itself, whether that be off the groyne or down the ramp it wouldn't go straight. Perhaps it went off the groyne but not the end as it veered to the right and not with enough speed and it rolled over on the way down, or crashed over the wall onto the sand and was taken out by the water. Have seen cars go in at boat ramps and end up 50m off shore in a matter of minutes.

Think it's unlikely some one was in the driver seat when it went in. Way to risky for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kambo,

I'm glad you mentioned that. If a car is parked in a parking bay, and the car rolls back in neutral, it will travel backward in an arc, toward the way it travelled in. When a car goes forward, if the wheels are straight it will roll straight.

Kambo,

I'm glad you mentioned that. If a car is parked in a parking bay, and the car rolls back in neutral, it will travel backward in an arc, toward the way it travelled in. When a car goes forward, if the wheels are straight it will roll straight.

Depends on wheel alignment. Most cars I have driven don't drive 100% straight when you take hands off the wheel.
Probably says more about the amount of kerbs my mrs hits to muck up the alignment than anything. [emoji14]

I'm pretty sure that JC's Fiat only came out with a manual gearbox.

Although I pretty much agree that the damage would probably be from the car being pounded in the surf against the bottom or the groyne, I did find an interesting video showing the old Cottesloe Quarry recently being filled in.

Former Cottesloe Quarry site in a developer’s promotional video shows cliff face with road access on top of the cliff and a level base at the bottom of the cliff with road access (it was used a council works depot for some time).

https://www.facebook.com/HouseRE.Perth/videos/913789172061282/

But my problem with this being where the car was damaged is, although it's only a block from the beach, is how would it of been moved to the beach?

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Does anyone think the body found at Cottesloe Beach has any relation to the JC case or co-incidence in location.
A conspiracy theorist might consider it to be an accomplice going to talk or a person feeling guilty. I remember hearing it at the time but I am guessing police considered it not related. Not sure of the exact date but it is shortly after 10 July 1988 because that is the when the pool results were. If it was a 2 person job to get the car in the water it may be why no one has talked. 800 metres away is quite a distance, in hindsight it is probably just the Daily News tabloid style journalism.
Apologies if it has been mentioned, but the Datsun 260c that drove Vanessa Devlin, was that not the same model of vehicle that was suspected to have picked up Kerry Turner?

great work, no name[emoji1360], this short 'article' concerning the discovery of a deceased male (in which Julie Cutler receives only a mention as ('missing Fremantle woman' ... fiat sedan found floating in the main Cottesloe groyne area on wednesday 22nd june 1988)
ff9f16fb83f8304f76a978fad4571681.jpg

_______________ _______________

FOUND - DECEASED MALE
•approx 800m south of MAiN Cottesloe groyne
•off Marine Parade, near Gibney Street
•near the south cottelsloe groyne
•on rocky section of the shoreline
•one deceased male
•naked, face down
•middle aged, approx 45yo(?)
•police "sudden death squad" in attendance

•the vicinity of Marine Parade & Gibney Street
google earth
1d50a1962e552884bc855f8c073d93c0.png

•same vicinity in proximity to Cottesloe's main groyne area
google earth
fc7e32dd68cac82fc24a40345b1e273e.png

_______________ _______________

unless anyone knows, or can find, an exact date for the death, we can deduce the deceased male was found sometime
> after the FiAT on 22/6 but prior to 10th july 1988<
as - next to the article - an advertisement for NEXT WEEK's POOLS dividend, draw dated 10/7/88 ... so the publishing date of the article must have been during the week prior to the draw on 10th july1988

5d666e1482c4ebe5b0edd7fa2bacdc55.jpg

could this incident be related to the JC disappearance?
with locations only 800metres apart, and timing - at the most - up to 13-20days since JC's last known sighting, until discovery of the deceased naked male.

^are we able to research more regarding this incident?
ID, cause of death, specific injuries, decomposition?

35226c878a2385e5e65cbe928be7a749.png

[emoji887]

Apologies if it has been mentioned, but the Datsun 260c that drove Vanessa Devlin, was that not the same model of vehicle that was suspected to have picked up Kerry Turner?

I had the same thought when I read the article. I seem to recall that a witness who saw KT getting into the car also said there was also something distinctive about the wheels? (Same as for VD)

Did they ever identify the driver of the car who picked up VD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Depends on wheel alignment. Most cars I have driven don't drive 100% straight when you take hands off the wheel.
Probably says more about the amount of kerbs my mrs hits to muck up the alignment than anything. [emoji14]

And what about the tyre pressures being uneven.

I found that very interesting as well. I had never heard that they were searching for the driver of a Datson 260c for the killer of Vanessa Devlin until reading that article.

Murder Hunt Car Clue: Dead in bedroom by Andrew Masterson and Maxine Brown

Police investigating the brutal sex murder of Vanessa Roberta Devlin, 23, have appealed to the public to help in the search for a man who gave her a lift to her Maddington house just before she was murdered. The man was seen arriving in a metallic green Datsun 240 C ? sedan and is believed to be the last person to see her alive. Senior Detective Sergeant Max Kiernan the man heading the hunt for the notorious &#8220;Southside rapist&#8221; said yesterday the 1976 ? or 1977 model car had been parked at Miss Devlin&#8217;s house at 2003? Albany Highway. It had mag wheels, stickers on the rear windscreen and black and yellow registration plates.
Urgent
The urgent hunt for the driver of the vehicle may help to resolve the disturbing question haunting police this weekend. Was the murder the work of the &#8220;southside rapist&#8221; or is there now a second sex fiend stalking the southern suburb? Sergeant K said police believed the driver of the car had given Miss Devlin a lift to her home when she was hitch hiking from a friend&#8217;s house on Friday morning. It is believed she was picked up near Nicholson Rd Canning Vale. Senior D-S Vince Katich said the murder had occurred between 11.30 am and 2.00pm on Friday (25th June 1988?). Her body was discovered about 3? pm by the other occupant of the house, Mr Max Carroll. She was lying in a rear bedroom naked from the waist down and had been strangled with an electrical cord.
Mr Carroll was yesterday being interviewed by police but was not suspected of any involvement in the crime. Miss Devlin, unemployed had been living at the house for ony seven weeks before her death. The house is an old rambling bungalow set back from the road on a large block next to Stockerly railway station. It is surrounded by trees and tall bamboo plants and has no near neighbours. Police sources said it appeared Miss Devlin had been strangled while she was being raped. The sources said there were marked differences between her killing and that of Victoria Clarke &#8211; but a link between them had not been discounted.
&#8220;There is every chance it is the same person involved, but we just can&#8217;t say&#8221; said S Kiernan. &#8220;There are indications? and some evidence to support a connection.&#8221; snipped
Lease. The real estate agent who leased the house, Mr Kinsley Moore said Miss Devlin didn&#8217;t seem to fit in with the house &#8211; which he said was rundown &#8211; or its numerous visitors. He said the house was for sale. &#8220;Miss Devlin was sort of Italian looking and classy&#8221; he said. &#8220;From some of the yobbos that used to go in there, she shouldn&#8217;t be there.&#8221; Mr Moore said groups of young men and woman drifted in and out of the house all the time.

Somehow they went from searchingforsomethinglikethis
attachment.php
to a random middle aged convicted killer (Tilbury) confessing!

Attachments

• Datsun_maybe.JPG
    Datsun_maybe.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 174
Falling off a cliff or container ship and landing on in's roof would seem to be a good way to expaining damage to the car, as the forces would all apply to the roof, as long as it didn't roll. You can quite easily calculate the forces that would apply as the only acceleration acting on the car once it launched (from either) is gravity. The Fiat has a fixed mass so the Force applied to the roof would be around 11,000N. A decent enough number. Around the same as the rollover at 100km/hr, but possibly causing more damage (no body damage in rollover) as all force would be applied to roof. But the damage and the disposal at Cott would be two separate events. Falling off a container ship though, it would almost certainly sink immediately with a high density and low water displacement (I have calculated and it would be fairly fast to go down)

I'm pretty sure that JC's Fiat only came out with a manual gearbox.

Although I pretty much agree that the damage would probably be from the car being pounded in the surf against the bottom or the groyne, I did find an interesting video showing the old Cottesloe Quarry recently being filled in.

Former Cottesloe Quarry site in a developer&#8217;s promotional video shows cliff face with road access on top of the cliff and a level base at the bottom of the cliff with road access (it was used a council works depot for some time).

https://www.facebook.com/HouseRE.Perth/videos/913789172061282/

But my problem with this being where the car was damaged is, although it's only a block from the beach, is how would it of been moved to the beach?

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Hi Spinnaker,

Many thanks for the good work, you've done well! With regard to disappearances within the school holidays, what about the religious holidays? He made reference to the clown outfit being good for a bahmisfa - I think that's Jewish. Sorry don't know how to spell Bahmisfa.

Bar Mizwa und Bat Mizwa
According to Jewish law, when Jewish boys become 13 years old, they become accountable for their actions and become a bar mitzvah. A girl becomes a bat mitzvah at the age of 12 according to Orthodox and Conservative Jews, and at the age of 13 according to Reform Jews.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_and_Bat_Mitzvah

Sorry forgot to quote from the article in the Daily News re body found Cottesloe Beach.

The article is showing a dividend which means it is prizes for that draw. From memory probably the results would have been on Tuesday or Wednesday. As the article mentioned the body was found today it would have been probably on 12th or 13th of July 1988.

I was thinking if there is no mention of who the deceased was or what the autopsy results are then maybe death notices could be looked at for the period following .. died suddenly, taken from us unexpectedly type notices.

I do still think 800 metres is a long distance. Long enough to be speculation.

Daily news early May, 1988 re Southside Rapist:

attachment.php

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 170
Is this the woman taken from the Sheriden Hotel at end of May 1988 (three weeks before JC)?
Small yellow car maybe Toyota, not many yellow cars around in those days, but didn't a former poi have one? Sounds very like him (no rape) and may explain why her failed that one lie detector question that asked if he had ever harmed somebody.
This was absolutely horrifying for the victim, but bizarre attack. I have tried to copy as much as I could see from article.

Bashed for Three Hours
Woman tells of nightmare on Hill St
The attacker threw her face down and stepped on the base of her spine making her scream in pain, begging for help – help from anybody. I heard myself praying an old Hebrew prayer I hadn’t used for years, “God save me” Dorothy recalls in a voice husky with exhaustion and sorrow. It’s husky for another reason. She says her attacker at one stage grasped her by the throat and methodically ground his thumbs into it. Doctors believe he has twisted her vocal cords. She is stilling safe in her unit with pictures of … on the walls and framed photographs of her children on a …
Cigarette
Of course she is safe she says, but what if …. Had …registration number? What if? She draws on another cigarette. “I had almost given up smoking” she half whispers, “until this *advertiser censored* devastated my world”. Her eyes show she is back in that … park. The nightmare is continuing. He punched my kidneys and rubbed my face in the gravel. I felt him reach for something. He pulled my arms behind me and reached for … tape that police say he almost certainly …? He …. ?the …..?taped my ankles. I thought I was about to be raped. He pushed against me and I realised he did not have an erection. I cannot tell you the relief at knowing he could not rape me.
Radio
… he kept running the sticky tape around her until she was wrapped “like an Egyptian mummy, a cocoon”. …a small yellow car, possible a Toyota. She heard a disc jockey on the radio say “it is now 3.00am”. It was only then that I realised he had been beating me for 3 hours, she says.

Hospital
They telephoned her worried daughter. “Tell her gently… She’s pregnant?” She was booked into Mount Hospital, X Rays revealed no broken bones. Her face is still discoloured and puffy … with painful…. Her damaged back aches. Tears are always near.
Police have put …of her attacker … computer? “They say it’s for when he strikes again. They …he will perhaps within months?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bashed_for_3_hours.JPG
    Bashed_for_3_hours.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 178
Another mention of the yellow Toyota in the May 1988 Sheraton attack.

Also victim was dumped corner of Leach Highway and Centenary Drive.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 340
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 330
Is this the woman taken from the Sheriden Hotel at end of May 1988 (three weeks before JC)?
Small yellow car maybe Toyota, not many yellow cars around in those days, but didn't a former poi have one? Sounds very like him (no rape) and may explain why her failed that one lie detector question that asked if he had ever harmed somebody.
This was absolutely horrifying for the victim, but bizarre attack. I have tried to copy as much as I could see from article.

Bashed for Three Hours
Woman tells of nightmare on Hill St
The attacker threw her face down and stepped on the base of her spine making her scream in pain, begging for help – help from anybody. I heard myself praying an old Hebrew prayer I hadn’t used for years, “God save me” Dorothy recalls in a voice husky with exhaustion and sorrow. It’s husky for another reason. She says her attacker at one stage grasped her by the throat and methodically ground his thumbs into it. Doctors believe he has twisted her vocal cords. She is stilling safe in her unit with pictures of … on the walls and framed photographs of her children on a …
Cigarette
Of course she is safe she says, but what if …. Had …registration number? What if? She draws on another cigarette. “I had almost given up smoking” she half whispers, “until this *advertiser censored* devastated my world”. Her eyes show she is back in that … park. The nightmare is continuing. He punched my kidneys and rubbed my face in the gravel. I felt him reach for something. He pulled my arms behind me and reached for … tape that police say he almost certainly …? He …. ?the …..?taped my ankles. I thought I was about to be raped. He pushed against me and I realised he did not have an erection. I cannot tell you the relief at knowing he could not rape me.
Radio
… he kept running the sticky tape around her until she was wrapped “like an Egyptian mummy, a cocoon”. …a small yellow car, possible a Toyota. She heard a disc jockey on the radio say “it is now 3.00am”. It was only then that I realised he had been beating me for 3 hours, she says.

Hospital
They telephoned her worried daughter. “Tell her gently… She’s pregnant?” She was booked into Mount Hospital, X Rays revealed no broken bones. Her face is still discoloured and puffy … with painful…. Her damaged back aches. Tears are always near.
Police have put …of her attacker … computer? “They say it’s for when he strikes again. They …he will perhaps within months?

attachment.php

What a terrible thing to happen. It looks like her age was 45.

I went to the library today also.

The below article was early June 1988 near Balga Technical College (sorry I was rushing, so did not record exact date).

15 year old girl subjected to attack - Note the mention of a woman picking the girl up after the attack and driving a yellow Toyota!

attachment.php

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    FullSizeRender-4.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 243
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors