Australia Australia - Corryn Rayney, 44, Como, WA, 7 August 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That's exactly like my street in Brisbane. I'm not saying they would normally notice a car that was out of the ordinary. I'm saying if a woman was missing surely the news reports would be telling people to look out for her missing car too?

Maybe that street was just too full of people too busy living their own 'very important' lawyer lives to care enough to look?

(sarcasm intentional - but not aimed at you, Nads! ;)

I'm in agreeance with you jac6007. IMO Corryn Rayney's murder was a contract killing orchestrated and financed by her husband, hence the reason why he can strut around looking very smug. In my opinion JR will also walk free.

Hi Makara. I agree with you.

Just interested to know if anyone believes LR is not guilty of CR's murder. I'm on the fence.

I believe he's guilty as noone else has been presented who would have as big a motive as LR to kill Corinne.

He had means, motive (a huge motive, by all accounts) and opportunity.

The Handkerchief (again)

I'm intrigued by the presence of the handkerchief in the grave (approximately 15cm below Corinne's head).

Do you think it was accidentally dropped there, as the Prosecution alleges...or do you think it was left as either a sign of contempt for Corrine (given that her daughters said she hated handkerchiefs)?

Or do you think it was left as some kind of (twisted) sign of respect...as in following a traditional burial rite of some kind?

Sorry, I can't find links yet. I've posted all these articles before but am rushing out to work, as usual. Can find them later, unless you do it first! lol ;)

Would be interested in people's thoughts on the handkerchief.

The Handkerchief (again)

I'm intrigued by the presence of the handkerchief in the grave (approximately 15cm below Corinne's head).

Do you think it was accidentally dropped there, as the Prosecution alleges...or do you think it was left as either a sign of contempt for Corrine (given that her daughters said she hated handkerchiefs)?

Or do you think it was left as some kind of (twisted) sign of respect...as in following a traditional burial rite of some kind?

Sorry, I can't find links yet. I've posted all these articles before but am rushing out to work, as usual. Can find them later, unless you do it first! lol ;)

Would be interested in people's thoughts on the handkerchief.

I think it was a really big oversight. As he would have been working in pretty well darkness, then he likely didn't see it drop. Very incriminating methinks.

The place card and the hankie are things imo that a jury would lap up, as those sorts of things happen on Law and Order all the time. I'm unsure if they happen a lot in real life cases, but if they didn't the judge would know. Perhaps to him it might smell more like a set-up, particularly if the accused was used to seeing crime cases.

I'm in agreeance with you jac6007. IMO Corryn Rayney's murder was a contract killing orchestrated and financed by her husband, hence the reason why he can strut around looking very smug. In my opinion JR will also walk free.

Hi Makara and Jac
Having only just caught up with all pages and articles in this thread I have to say that what you are both suggesting sounds very plausible. Maybe the person he arranged the hit with and who was getting paid decided to take some souvenirs himself to plant along with the body so he/she got two wins; the money and the attention on Rayney and not himself and both walk free?

It is an unusual spelling, but the name of the victim in this case is Corryn. We can't do much for her now, but it might be nice to do her the honour of spelling her name correctly. JMHO.

Hi Makara,
Media Timeline on your post is Allison's. Did you mean to post a Lloyd Rayney one?

Hey KG1, no I don't have a media link for the Rayney case. I included the Media link for Allison as my signature so that both myself and others could find it quickly. The link will show up in all of my posts. Sorry for the confusion.

Would they be asking people who knew him if they had ever seen him with that particular handkerchief ?

The place card and the hankie are things imo that a jury would lap up, as those sorts of things happen on Law and Order all the time. I'm unsure if they happen a lot in real life cases, but if they didn't the judge would know. Perhaps to him it might smell more like a set-up, particularly if the accused was used to seeing crime cases.

Place Card

If someone was trying to frame LR and relying on the place card to be part of that plan, its a pretty flimsy method of doing so. Anything could have happened to that card after it was dropped. If there had been any decent rain between the time it was dropped and when it was found, it would have disintegrated (it didn't look like it was laminated). It could have been blown around by the wind and never found. The people who found it may have chosen not to do anything with it (they found it 4 days before the grave site was discovered). I also wonder if the place it was found is the precise place it was dropped.

Handkerchief

There are only two plausible possibilities for the placement of the handkerchief in the grave: it was inadvertently dropped or it was deliberately placed there. If, as some have suggested, a hit man killed CR, why would they place anything in the grave that could be linked to LR? If LR killed his wife, it would not make sense to make any sort of statement (sentimental or otherwise) by placing an item in the grave that could be linked to him. If someone had killed CR and attempted to frame LR, then placement of the handkerchief in the grave may have been a way of linking the murder to him (and much safer than dropping the place card on the ground).

Hit Man

I think it is unlikely that LR hired a hit man to kill LR. The whole point of getting someone else to do the deed is 1) you don’t have to do your own dirty work and 2) to ensure that you are not connected to the crime in any way. It is much harder for the police to connect a stranger to a murder than someone known to the victim.

If you were a hit man involved in this murder, would you have killed her in the family home? Would you have buried her within 10km of the family home or driven the body as far away as you could and bury her in a national park for example? Would you be that unprepared that you would run over a bollard rather than be aware that the bollard could be laid down to allow vehicular access to the burial site? If LR had spirited enough money away to hire a hit man, wouldn’t he have chosen someone who was capable of doing a good job?

Occam’s Razor

OR is the principle of choosing the explanation that makes the fewest possible assumptions. I’m sure the police went through a whole bunch of scenarios to explain the evidence available and LR committing the murder is the hypothesis that best fit the evidence they have by making the fewest possible assumptions. It doesn’t mean they (or we) are right, but it is the most likely explanation (even with the information that we have at this time).

Good points Solaris, particularly I think about the place card.

White is the colour of surrender.

Was the handkerchief white, I thought I read it was but maybe I'm mistaken.

oic it was blue and white, there goes my as yet unformed idea on it being put there on purpose.

Place Card

If someone was trying to frame LR and relying on the place card to be part of that plan, its a pretty flimsy method of doing so. Anything could have happened to that card after it was dropped. If there had been any decent rain between the time it was dropped and when it was found, it would have disintegrated (it didn't look like it was laminated). It could have been blown around by the wind and never found. The people who found it may have chosen not to do anything with it (they found it 4 days before the grave site was discovered). I also wonder if the place it was found is the precise place it was dropped.

Handkerchief

There are only two plausible possibilities for the placement of the handkerchief in the grave: it was inadvertently dropped or it was deliberately placed there. If, as some have suggested, a hit man killed CR, why would they place anything in the grave that could be linked to LR? If LR killed his wife, it would not make sense to make any sort of statement (sentimental or otherwise) by placing an item in the grave that could be linked to him. If someone had killed CR and attempted to frame LR, then placement of the handkerchief in the grave may have been a way of linking the murder to him (and much safer than dropping the place card on the ground).

Hit Man

I think it is unlikely that LR hired a hit man to kill LR. The whole point of getting someone else to do the deed is 1) you don’t have to do your own dirty work and 2) to ensure that you are not connected to the crime in any way. It is much harder for the police to connect a stranger to a murder than someone known to the victim.

If you were a hit man involved in this murder, would you have killed her in the family home? Would you have buried her within 10km of the family home or driven the body as far away as you could and bury her in a national park for example? Would you be that unprepared that you would run over a bollard rather than be aware that the bollard could be laid down to allow vehicular access to the burial site? If LR had spirited enough money away to hire a hit man, wouldn’t he have chosen someone who was capable of doing a good job?

Occam’s Razor

OR is the principle of choosing the explanation that makes the fewest possible assumptions. I’m sure the police went through a whole bunch of scenarios to explain the evidence available and LR committing the murder is the hypothesis that best fit the evidence they have by making the fewest possible assumptions. It doesn’t mean they (or we) are right, but it is the most likely explanation (even with the information that we have at this time).

Excellent points, thank you Solaris.

That is interesting that the place card was found days prior to Corryn being found - what were the circumstances? Very unusual that one would keep such a thing if found, although I guess whoever found it would have known Corryn was missing at that time?

Place Card

Handkerchief

Hit Man

Occam’s Razor

Great post Solaris, thorough and very well articulated.

:twocents:

JMO MOO

Update - Balinese man in court being questioned about the Stanley Adams brand of handkerchief.

Brand of handkerchief found in Corryn Rayney's grave only sold in chain of Balinese stores, court told

Hundreds of perth residents go to Matahari every week - the interesting thing will be if they can advise how many of this hankies have been sold.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agirlnamedbob
Back