Australia Australia - Hayley Dodd, 17, Badgingarra WA, 29 Jul 1999 *retrial Guilty, manslaughter*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Convicted rapist Francis Wark found guilty of murdering missing teenager Hayley Dodd
ABC News
BY JOANNA MENAGH
UPDATED 8 MINUTES AGO [as at 13:40 AEDT 22 January 2018]

‘A convicted rapist has been found guilty of murdering missing 17-year-old Hayley Dodd, more than 18 years after the girl vanished while walking along a remote road in Western Australia's Wheatbelt region.

Francis John Wark was found not guilty of Hayley's wilful murder, but guilty of the lesser offence of murder.

In WA, wilful murder, murder and manslaughter are mainly distinguished on the basis of intent, or its absence.’

‘More to come.’

Read more at:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-22/francis-john-wark-verdict-hayley-dodd-murder/9339946

“A convicted rapist has been found guilty of murdering West Australian teenager Hayley Dodd almost 20 years ago.

Francis John Wark, 61, was granted a judge-alone trial in the WA Supreme Court last year and Justice Lindy Jenkins handed down her judgment on Monday.

Hayley, 17, was last seen walking along a road near rural Badgingarra, where Wark had lived for 15 years, on July 29, 1999.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ilty-murdering-Hayley-Dodd.html#ixzz54sZfbAOK

083E3633-4229-46F1-920C-9F41B022999C.jpeg

May Hayley Dodd Rest In Peace.

I hope he tells them where she is. So glad he has been found guilty :)

Could the motorist gauge in what direction the screams came from and LE could do tests to work out the distance.

If Hayley is buried close to where her screams were heard then maybe LE should try with dogs to find her. I think it could be worth a try.

Some time after 11.30am, a driver who pulled over on the Brand Highway because his car was overheating, claimed he heard a female scream in the distance.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/h...in-two-hours-prosecution-20171009-gyx7iy.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Justice Jenkins said while the timeframe of the murder was "extremely tight," Wark did have "the opportunity" to "encounter" Hayley on his journey back to his property, murder her and dispose of her body."

http://amp.abc.net.au/article/9339946?__twitter_impression=true

"Prosecutors had alleged Wark lured Hayley into his ute between 11.40am and midday, murdered her and disposed of her body before 1.36pm when he paid an account at Badgingarra roadhouse while riding his motorcycle to Perth.

In her judgment, she said Wark had picked up Hayley and killed her on 29 July 1999 by unknown means, within a narrow hour and half window of time.

She said contrary to what the accused told the police, he was not in Moora at about midday on the day. Instead, he was driving alone on the same stretch of isolated road that Ms Dodd was walking on when she disappeared."

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/cr...nd-guilty-of-hayley-dodd-murder-ng-b88721234z

Is anyone else thinking that the body of the victim was not buried or / disappeared immediately ?
Either wark got someone else to help hide the body , or wark himself may have hidden the body temporarily , until he returned from the trip to perth .
Then at a later time, secreted the victim so that she couldnt be found, when he had the opportunity .
That proven time frame is too small for all of that to happen and successfully hide the body.
in my opinion only..
90c3fede1effd2ca6ec588922c28caf4.jpg
1cc5974d83f167f65075182ab54e197f.jpg

The housemate , maybe he earnt some free rent by helping hide the victim.
A deal of some sort ?
JmO

"Ms Burrows told the court Mr Wark's housemate returned to their property later the day Hayley disappeared to find his Holden ute, which Mr Wark had driven to the shops that day, was "unusually" parked inside the property's shed and had a broken indicator lever.
Mr Wark had also left a note for his housemate asking the man to chop up some meat he had just purchased from the shop."

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/h...in-two-hours-prosecution-20171009-gyx7iy.html

The housemate , maybe he earnt some free rent by helping hide the victim.
A deal of some sort ?
JmO

"Ms Burrows told the court Mr Wark's housemate returned to their property later the day Hayley disappeared to find his Holden ute, which Mr Wark had driven to the shops that day, was "unusually" parked inside the property's shed and had a broken indicator lever.
Mr Wark had also left a note for his housemate asking the man to chop up some meat he had just purchased from the shop."

:eek: Considering what had happened to Hayley only hours before, this sentence seems fairly sinister.

‘Family still searching for body

Margaret Dodd campaigned for 18 years to get justice for her daughter and her family, but was too upset after the verdict to comment.’

attachment.php

PHOTO Margaret Dodd (in black), mother of missing teenager Hayley Dodd, was flanked by family and friends as the verdict was read out.
ABC NEWS: EMILY PIESSE

‘Hayley's sister Toni Dodd said the family did not think this day would ever come, but they now wanted Wark to tell them where Hayley's body was.

"Tell us where Hayley is so we can put her to rest. Give our family some peace."

"We didn't just lose a sister, we lost parents as well," Ms Dodd said.

She said the family would always support changes to the law so that killers who do not reveal the location of their victims' bodies do not get parole.

Ms Dodd said it had been "horrible" sitting through the seven-week trial last year.

"We had to sit through it to know every detail," Ms Dodd said.

"We want to know what's happened, to try to figure out why, try to figure out if there are any clues as to where she is and why did he do it."’

Source:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-22/francis-john-wark-verdict-hayley-dodd-murder/9339946

attachment.php

PHOTO Hayley Dodd went missing in 1999 while travelling between Moora and Badgingarra
SUPPLIED

Hayley Dodd: 'No body, no parole' legislation sparked by petition from missing teen's parents
ABC NEWS
JACOB KAGI
SUN 14 FEB 2016, 6:28 PM AEDT

‘Killers who refuse to help police find the remains of their victims could be denied parole under legislation set to be introduced to State Parliament by the West Australian Opposition.

The move comes on the back of a campaign by the parents of WA teenager Hayley Dodd, who disappeared nearly two decades ago, calling for 'no body, no parole' laws to be introduced.

An online petition started by Margaret and Ray Dodd calling for such laws to be introduced has since gained nearly 20,000 supporters.

If the proposed laws were enacted, it would mean a convicted murderer would not be eligible for parole unless the Prisoner Review Board was satisfied the person had co-operated with police to locate victims' remains.’

Read more at:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...laws-hayley-dodd-petition/7166870?pfmredir=sm

Murderer interview over 2005 disappearance
nine.com.au/Australian Associated Press
January 23, 2018 4:54pm

‘Queensland detectives hope to question a convicted rapist and murderer as they continue investigations into the 2005 disappearance of a Melbourne mother who vanished from the state's north.

Katie O'Shea was last seen at Atherton, southwest of Cairns, in December 2005 and Queensland police have travelled to Perth to interview Francis John Wark, who was on Monday convicted of murdering West Australian teenager Hayley Dodd.

They believe the 61-year-old may be able to shed light on what happened to Ms O'Shea after she left a bottle shop in the company of two men.

"It's a current police investigation," a Queensland police spokeswoman said.

"It's up to him if he wants to talk."’

‘Wark, who has served time over a 2007 Queensland rape, was found by WA Supreme Court Justice Lindy Jenkins to have lured Hayley into a ute near rural Badgingarra late on the night of July 29, 1999.

"The accused was the type of person who would be likely to pick up a lone female hitchhiker and violently and seriously assault her," Justice Jenkins said.

"This would be for the purpose of subduing her or overpowering her so that she was incapable of resisting him and so that he could rape her."’

Read more at:

http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...e/news-story/d50d729bc08bb344bfcb8ec33122d3bc

Kathleen (Katie) O’Shea’s WS’ thread:

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...ecember-2005&p=13884932&posted=1#post13884932

West Australian Newspaper 24 Jan:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• cache.jpg
    cache.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 56
  • cache-2.jpg
    cache-2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 59
  • cache-1.jpg
    cache-1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 58
Judgment brings so many new layers to this case, but it doesn't bring closure. Knowing so many details helps, knowing that someone is actually held accountable also helps, but we still don't know where she is and what exactly happened to her. That prevailing sense of uncertainty about whether she'll ever be found looms even larger after the verdict. Final point was reached, judgment is furthest that you can go in the case like this, there's just not much that can be done after it. There is always that terrible question that pops in my head, no matter how hard I try to avoid it: Are there remains at all? I've read judgment for the second time and there are so many interesting details inside that we weren't able to discuss because we obviusly didn't know about them. Particularly witness David Stribley, the last person that saw her alive. He's not only exceptional witness because he remembers where he saw her and when, but he also remembers seeing a car that was most likely driven by Wark, only 10-15 minutes later he saw Telstra car which was driven by witness who testified on trial. So that just puts into perspective how brazen this attack on Hayley was. It's broad daylight, almost midday, there is at least one car not so far away, and someone can arrive at any moment. Plus, Wark is travelling in opposite direction, because of that he can't just pull up and ask her if she wants to hop in. His intent had to be obvious as soon as he saw her, everything had to be hurried and violent. Unless if Wark maybe decided to pass her and after some short period of time he made U-turn so that he can maybe pursue her to get into the car. That's just unlikely hypothesis for the plethora of reasons. It would still make him suspicious and Telstra driver would probably be there and he would maybe saw something. What are your thoughts? Does anyone else has some similar theory?

Hayley961.jpg

I think this is the place where she was seen for the last time. She was kneeling under that big tree. This position is also called 961 marker. Distance between this location and Seldom Seen farm where she was heading is around 13 km. Driveway visible on the picture belongs to the Richards farm. She could've walked for maximum two more kilometres before she was attacked.

Judgment brings so many new layers to this case, but it doesn't bring closure. Knowing so many details helps, knowing that someone is actually held accountable also helps, but we still don't know where she is and what exactly happened to her. That prevailing sense of uncertainty about whether she'll ever be found looms even larger after the verdict. Final point was reached, judgment is furthest that you can go in the case like this, there's just not much that can be done after it. There is always that terrible question that pops in my head, no matter how hard I try to avoid it: Are there remains at all? I've read judgment for the second time and there are so many interesting details inside that we weren't able to discuss because we obviusly didn't know about them. Particularly witness David Stribley, the last person that saw her alive. He's not only exceptional witness because he remembers where he saw her and when, but he also remembers seeing a car that was most likely driven by Wark, only 10-15 minutes later he saw Telstra car which was driven by witness who testified on trial. So that just puts into perspective how brazen this attack on Hayley was. It's broad daylight, almost midday, there is at least one car not so far away, and someone can arrive at any moment. Plus, Wark is travelling in opposite direction, because of that he can't just pull up and ask her if she wants to hop in. His intent had to be obvious as soon as he saw her, everything had to be hurried and violent. Unless if Wark maybe decided to pass her and after some short period of time he made U-turn so that he can maybe pursue her to get into the car. That's just unlikely hypothesis for the plethora of reasons. It would still make him suspicious and Telstra driver would probably be there and he would maybe saw something. What are your thoughts? Does anyone else has some similar theory?

attachment.php

I think this is the place where she was seen for the last time. She was kneeling under that big tree. This position is also called 961 marker. Distance between this location and Seldom Seen farm where she was heading is around 13 km. Driveway visible on the picture belongs to the Richards farm. She could've walked for maximum two more kilometres before she was attacked.

Hi Kraki, I’m not a West Australian so it’s difficult for me to assist. I’ve notified another trustworthy and very capable local WSer of your post.

Thanks kraki ,
where did this informative superior type knowledge come from ?

"Former major crime squad Det. Sgt Edward Rowe identified Francis John Wark as a person of interest to the inquiry within days of Hayley’s disappearance on July 29, 1999.
He even organised for the Holden ute that Wark had used to travel to Moora on that day to be seized for forensic testing. But Mr Rowe said a decision made by his superiors to downgrade the inquiry to a missing persons case just two months after the investigation began meant that many of the forensic tests were not conducted.
It also ensured that a crucial piece of evidence that was used to convict Wark this week would go undiscovered for nearly 14 years.
The Egyptian-style ankh earring which belonged to Hayley was found by a PathWest scientist in September 2013 wrapped in a car seat cover that had been seized from Wark’s ute on August 6, 1999 — a week after Hayley vanished.
Mr Rowe said that if his team had been left to do its job, it is likely they would have found the earring and their killer in 1999."

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/form...failed-hayley-dodd-back-in-1999-ng-b88722346z

70659b18dc71dbbc4015e5bdb7a39dcd.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Annalise

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/hayleys-mum-finally-rewarded-for-never-giving-in-ng-b88723952z

Eaglette - thanks for posting this article from today’s West Australian. There is a video in it of Warks property being examined by police. I can’t seem to be able to copy the video onto here.

“For the first time, vision of police interviewing Francis John Wark can be revealed.”

In this video Wark is walking using a walking stick. I wonder how he was injured. Could it have been from when he attacked Hayley? MOO

Wark was involved in a motor bike accident later the same day of Hayley's disappearance - when he was on his way to Perth - I quote: “It’s the State’s case he was anxious to flee to Perth as quickly as he could … and create an alibi,” she said (Judge) Mr Wark was that night involved in a motorcycle accident and admitted to Royal Perth Hospital with minor injuries.
https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/franc...-ng-b88623416z
This perhaps should be posted on Hayley's websleuthing page. There are lots of articles about the perp Wark. Truth is WAPOL were throwing money & police into the CSK case - and, ignored poor Hayley's disappearance. It is disgraceful IMO

Hi Kraki, I’m not a West Australian so it’s difficult for me to assist. I’ve notified another trustworthy and very capable local WSer of your post.

That would be very nice, to get some insight on that general area. As I have mentioned before in this thread I have never been in Australia, actually I live on completely opposite part of the world. Hence, all the informations that I was able to gather everybody can find with the power of internet. However, now that informations have more leverage because of the recently published judgment on Supreme Court of Western Australia website. Also, I would like to point out that English isn't my maternal language, and I apologize in advance for my lack of skills in that department.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tinatrue
Back