GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article about this case and 'armchair' detectives - websleuths is actually referenced.

THE disappearance of ABC worker Jill Meagher has highlighted the growing trend of everyday Australians using social media to play armchair detective.
Within hours of Ms Meagher's disappearance on the way home from Friday night drinks with friends, amateur sleuths had flooded forums with possible leads and suspects.
But are they helping or hindering the process?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/t...p-or-a-hindrance/story-e6frfro0-1226482373605

Aha!... But this reporter did not mentions that Websleuths was instrumental in helping bring Ivy Merck home, now did he? Hmmmm? :smile:

:great: Websleuths!

JMO

After I looked at the 'zoomed in footage' and it does look like he has a gun, maybe he is giving her some orders which she is following because she is afraid not to. If she has had a couple of drinks she might be a little foggy and then add fear it might cause her to be compliant rather than run or make a scene.

Hello :greetings:

I usually follow in the Corryn Rayney section of the forum - and lurk in The Alison Baden Clay forum. Someone linked to this forum in one of those threads and I have been following ever since.

I have watched the CCTV footage twice. I can't look at it anymore, it just makes me feel both sad and uneasy.

I am praying for a good outcome for Jill but as the days head into a week - hope is fading.

I believe that she has been abducted. I believe the BH is definitely involved and TM is a victim in all of this.

The gun is a possibility. If the BH was brazen enough to approach/accost/abduct JM on a busy Melbourne Rd - then he may have been brazen enough to wave a gun around.

My only doubts are - if she was using her phone (and why did he let her?) why did she not text/call someone and make them aware of her situation? I mean if he let her use her phone (whilst waving a ?gun) why not use it to call/text for help? I really don't think Jill realised she was in danger until it was too late.

I also believe that there are way too many similarities between BH and the identikit pictures.

JMOO :moo:

If he's that arrogant to abduct a woman on a somewhat busy street with traffic/passers by.....he wouldn't care about waving a gun, especially if he was only using it there to threaten her, it's not like there were shots fired, which he would know would draw attention....moo

or, if it was a gun, it could have been a toy one, so he thought it wouldnt matter, or he might have been high and just totally focused on the urgent task at hand?

Radio Interview with Detective Inspector John Potter said the timing of the CCTV footage does not match with a previous assumption that Jill made a call to her brother from inside the bar.

LISTEN: Detective Inspector John Potter speaks with Derryn Hinch

"The mystery to the us at this point is the call to the brother was about 1:45am which is after this time (of the CCTV)," he said.

"And there were males in the background, or voices, or something in the background that the brother could hear.

"If there was something sinister happening at that point, presumably she wouldn’t be discussing the health of her dad."

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breakin...meagher-has-been-abducted/20120924-26fm7.html

Is the timing on the CCTV camera right? a minute here could make all the difference.....just a thought

or, if it was a gun, it could have been a toy one, so he thought it wouldnt matter, or he might have been high and just totally focused on the urgent task at hand?

My first thoughts were 'ice' - apparently they makes a user feel invincible.

Am still intrigued by BH's change in gait. The brisk walk at 0.03 in the clear cctv vid (with free arms) and the cautious walk at 0.58 with left hand in pocket. Could it be he walked north to be given a weapon by an accomplice having assessed Jill as a target and is walking carefully because of a concealed gun. Could the silver hatch have been waiting kerbside a bit further north or around in Hope street. (It drives south at 1.18 and appears to go north at 2.15 as discussed before. )
Just a thought.

Possible. I asked some 18 year old males to look at the video: They indicated he has probably home shaved his own head leaving tufts of hair, small fringe and tuft of hair at rear of head. At first he walks as if he is 'p.....d off', rejected, but angry. Mean walk. Then, returns as if he is 'in charge' because he has a weapon. They estimate his age as early 20's, probably has a street name, drug user, probably a petty criminal like robbing/bashing people, probably hangs with criminal associates - in their opinion there could have been others who worked with him. On the close up shots - they see him take something out of left hoodie pocket, then quickly whips it into his right hand motioning at her. They observed that it was strange as at that moment there is an absence of cars in the video. They see a gun in his hand and him waving her on. They recognized the gravity of this situation for her and felt sorry for her.

I don't think BH was holding a gun. It is probably just some lighting or noise in the video.
It would be unlikely to have a handgun in Melbourne. Furthermore, Jill most likely made a phone call at this point to her brother and at the end of the clip she wonders off too casually towards the guy.

I think BH guy is weaing grey tracksuit pants similar to those in this image
grey_pants.jpg

If you look at the CCTV footage closely around 1.57 I think you can see the white stripes. You can also see the pants folding and hanging down at his ankles like tracksuit pants would do.

Everyone is so focussed on whether she made the call to her brother before or after the CCTV that is circulating. I think she had made the call and had hung up as she appeared in right hand part of screen and the voices were passerbys and hoodie bloke. Mobile then started to ring (brother or hubby) and hoodie bloke orders her not to answer.

Newbie Here eek :blushing:

I wasn’t so sure he'd pulled something out on her (knife, gun) until I saw how she took a second to register then kind of diverted away from him towards the road (Initially I thought this was a tipsy stumble) and then she's stopped in her tracks. He'd only have to glance up the road and back to see if any cars were coming to know if someone would see him or not. I wonder if she was already calling her brother when BH pulled the knife/ gun on her and BH told her NOT to hang up so suspicion wouldn’t be raised so quickly (if she had of hung up before her brother answered then I would imagine her brother would assume something might be wrong and try to call her back IMO) Just some thoughts???

This may be a silly question, but do we know for sure that she called her brother after this footage? Are we certain that the iPhone clock would be exactly in sync with the CCTV clock?

Not a silly question at all. :) I am saying that because of times given in reports. It is something that can be figured out though. Phone records are based on phone carrier times, CCTV are usually based on computer that they are attached too time. So it would be a matter of checking the exact time now on my watch, the phone carrier and the computer and see if there are differences. A second here or there is no biggie, its the minutes that count here because the call was made 2 minutes after this CCTV footage. All that depends on whether correct times were reported by police as well.

It is something that can be proven though ... even today.

Everyone is so focussed on whether she made the call to her brother before or after the CCTV that is circulating. I think she had made the call and had hung up as she appeared in right hand part of screen and the voices were passerbys and hoodie bloke. Mobile then started to ring (brother or hubby) and hoodie bloke orders her not to answer.

I agree, I also think she could have made the call and then BH approached and was being noisy in the background, JM ignored him for a while then told brother to call back. Brother called back a couple of minutes later and it was too late.

There must be a way to tell how far off real time the CCTV footage is, either from the camera itself or teeing up passing buses or something.

I can't help thinking of Mickey Shunick-there one moment on video and gone the next, into the hands of a serial murderer.

Horrible things can happen so quickly. No one saw what happened to Mickey, even though she had been riding through a similarly busy area.

I hope LE knows who this guy is by now and also have come across more video, or do so, soon. It has been too long already.

She called her parents place at 1:43 am according to reports. (Initially they said a quarter to)

The phone records would support the exact time she spoke to her brother. Apparently they are back but, Police won't divulge anything.

I'm interested in the male voices heard in the background.

I agree, I also think she could have made the call and then BH approached and was being noisy in the background, JM ignored him for a while then told brother to call back. Brother called back a couple of minutes later and it was too late.

There must be a way to tell how far off real time the CCTV footage is, either from the camera itself or teeing up passing buses or something.

Surely they can line up the time on the camera now, with the time on the network and figure out any discrepancies?

It seems so odd that she would walk off towards him unless she thought he'd gone, or he had a gun. Can you see the corner from where they were? If he'd walked off ahead of her, do you think she could have seen that he'd turned the corner onto Hope st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties