GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that REALLY annoys me - the Herald Sun have articles headlined "What it will take to solve this crime", or "Charlie Bezzina analyses the CCTV" and similar - but they're all behind the paywall. The message you get is "To read more, subscribe to the Herald Sun now".

That stinks, when they're trying to get public support for the search and to look for the mystery people etc.

And i got to that page via Google - but still ran up against the paywall.

Mercenary sods...!

I'm pretty sure the black 'gun' people think they can see is just a video artefact.
Have a look at the picture below. Wherever white appears in the video a black edge (fringe) appears. You can see the artefact on the road line, surrounding the sticker on the door, on the top and bottom of BH's hand, at the door frame, on his pants (in other shots). The black surrounding his hand moves with his hand and is consistent with this 'fringing' artefact.

hand.jpg

I think you've hit the nail on the head with that observation. I'm sure that's what it is - fringing artifact. Not a gun.

One thing that REALLY annoys me - the Herald Sun have articles headlined "What it will take to solve this crime", or "Charlie Bezzina analyses the CCTV" and similar - but they're all behind the paywall. The message you get is "To read more, subscribe to the Herald Sun now".

That stinks, when they're trying to get public support for the search and to look for the mystery people etc.

Mercenary sods...!

Welcome to the future

I said to hubby when we were talking about this again last night, even if you were walking up that street and minding your own business you wouldn't have been able to help but notice those shoes (or is it just because I am female?). You see a tram go by, look at all the taxis... surely someone out there saw something?

Mercenary sods...!

Try googling the headline in Google News and accessing from google news

I'm very sad to see this beautiful young lady in this video of the CCTV footage and my heart goes out to her husband and family as I fear the worst has happened to her. I just hope I'm wrong.

The body language in the video is something I can only look at through my own filter of personal experience, but what I see is quite a street wise woman realising she is in trouble. Personally, if I felt threatened without any real evidence of immediate threat, the last thing I would do is show my fear. I would use my mobile to buy some time while I try to get a handle on what's going on around me and in this instance, I'd stop walking to help reveal the intentions of a passerby. If someone stopped with me or ahead of me like BH does, I would hesitate as well. If it was me, I wouldn't phone someone who I thought was asleep and unlikely to talk (husband), I'd phone someone who was likely awake and would engage in conversation with me. I still would not reveal my fear to anyone, unless there was evidence of an immediate threat. This is why I don't believe BH points a gun at Gillian, it seems more likely to be a phone to me.

We see more hesitation from Gillian when she appears to walk out of sight for the last time, in fact she stops again (as mentioned by DrWatson earlier on). It made me sad to read reports stating that she and the man then left "together" after the interaction, as if it were her will!

When BH and Gillian first come into view, on the right hand side of the shop front, I think he has just caught up with her after running. This would tie in with the man walking ahead of them who turns to watch what is happening behind him. It is very hard to run without making noise and I sure would notice, especially in that area at that time! Gillian appears to be taken aback by him and I definitely see her trying to distance herself from him. Poor Gillian, my heart breaks for her watching this! I so, so hope I'm wrong. :(

Mystique......I think you have hit the nail on the head......after I watched the video about 10 times yesterday, that is the exact same scenario I came up with.....only thing is we did not know about him running after her, so yes I think that is why the guy in black turned, she got worried just before we see them enter the screen and to try and get rid of him, hesitates, pulls out her phone to make a call...........the only thing is if he did have a gun I still dont think she actually saw it then, as she was focusing on making the call.........after they left that shop is where it all happened. I would like to know from the witness just how far ahead the red car was.......the one that did the U turn.

Really? As I'm a newbie, can you give me an executive summary? :)

Certainly!

The thread is closed now, I believe... but there may be archives?... Other sleuthers may be able to help us out with that...

However...

Here is an article that shares Websleuths' involvement in the return of Ivy Merck:

OnlineAthens
Athens Banner-Herald

9-17-12

"Family's Perseverance, Social Networking Led to Recovery of Missing Athens Woman"

link: http://onlineathens.com/local-news/2012-09-17/familys-perseverance-....

Note: I am lousy with links... so if this one doesn't work... just google Ivy Merck Websleuths and the article will be among the top listings!

Yay Websleuths! :woohoo:

Hi Everyone , I have been following you all through the Baden clay case and now this one . I think you are all so clever and have missed your life's calling
I have a question , I am confused about the handbag , did she go out straight from work ? her husband had said she didn't take one ! there is a mighty large bag with her in the video footage
She is such a sweet looking lady <modsnip> is all so sad

I don't think BH was holding a gun. It is probably just some lighting or noise in the video.
It would be unlikely to have a handgun in Melbourne. Furthermore, Jill most likely made a phone call at this point to her brother and at the end of the clip she wonders off too casually towards the guy.

I think BH guy is weaing grey tracksuit pants similar to those in this image
grey_pants.jpg

If you look at the CCTV footage closely around 1.57 I think you can see the white stripes. You can also see the pants folding and hanging down at his ankles like tracksuit pants would do.

:welcome: Gatto!

Insightful post!

Newbie Here eek :blushing:

I wasn’t so sure he'd pulled something out on her (knife, gun) until I saw how she took a second to register then kind of diverted away from him towards the road (Initially I thought this was a tipsy stumble) and then she's stopped in her tracks. He'd only have to glance up the road and back to see if any cars were coming to know if someone would see him or not. I wonder if she was already calling her brother when BH pulled the knife/ gun on her and BH told her NOT to hang up so suspicion wouldn’t be raised so quickly (if she had of hung up before her brother answered then I would imagine her brother would assume something might be wrong and try to call her back IMO) Just some thoughts???

:welcome: Capri!

Thanks for posting!

Gatto, thank you for pointing out the black video artefact. I can now see the black everywhere in the video. I think it explains why it looked like a gun. I had thought it looked like a gun but I was uncertain about the apparent flick movement of the hand that magically produced a gun as if he was a gun slinger from the wild west. The explanation of the black stuff clears that movement up for me.

Mystique......I think you have hit the nail on the head......after I watched the video about 10 times yesterday, that is the exact same scenario I came up with.....only thing is we did not know about him running after her, so yes I think that is why the guy in black turned, she got worried just before we see them enter the screen and to try and get rid of him, hesitates, pulls out her phone to make a call...........the only thing is if he did have a gun I still dont think she actually saw it then, as she was focusing on making the call.........after they left that shop is where it all happened. I would like to know from the witness just how far ahead the red car was.......the one that did the U turn.

Was it definitely a red car that did the u-turn? Has this been stated somewhere? It was a red car in the "someone is following you" case in St. Kilda too. I know, lots of red cars, but still a possible link.

Try googling the headline in Google News and accessing from google news

OK - I got there (not that there's anything there much - there's far more info here on WS).

I clicked on the link from Google News, which took me to the paywall page of the Herald Sun. Then I copied the headline, went back to Google News and entered that in the search box. That came up with 4 results, and only the most recent one let me in. The previous ones were "File not found".

but I satisfied my curiosity. And I'll stick with the collective skills and opinions here on WS thank you!

I just wanted to say that I think you are amazing for doing that!! :loveyou: So many people wouldn't and I think it's such a shame!

Aw, thanks. :blushing:

IHAVENOCLUE - Thanks for that article on Ivy. I didn't follow the case to the end, so had no idea that WS had been so instrumental in bringing her home! We always wondered whether she was reading what was being said, turns out she was. It's reassuring that she knows how much people care about her, even strangers on the other side of the world. It's also nice to know that sometimes these cases do have a happy ending, it's just sad we don't see it more often. :twocents:

haha Captain Chrissie....I was wondering what you meant by ladykiller??? was thinking it must have been a nod to the coen bros movie....

and re the red car.....man you have got me there now. I will have to try and find a link but I was listening the tv while getting dressed this morning and was particularly interested in the "new info" they had, and they definitely did say red car on that report....it was the today show or my local news, they were talking about what the guy in black saw.....will see if I can find a link

In the footage she is so vulnerable, shy and almost trusting. I'm wondering what personality Jill had? Was she shy? She doesn't really seam streetwise.
What I'm saying some of us would wait for the chance, when others are around, to say loudly "f*ck of or I'll call the cops"!! or "could I please walk with you"? or "someone please help me here this bloke is bothering me"

Also, why does it offend some when sleuthers said she was vulnerable because she's tipsy. OF COURSE SHE WOULD BE VULNERABLE !! If you've had too much to drink- you can't drive because you are impaired in judgement, reflexes & all other basis instincts.

As I said before EVERYONE HAS THE SAFE RIGHT OF PASSAGE but she is tiny, pretty & cute as a button and A TOTAL MENTAL CASE WOULD LOOK AT HER AS A TROPHY.

Blunt, yes but get the facts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member