GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bayley-pleads-guilty-to-meagher-murder-20130405-2hb9p.html
Bayley pleads guilty to Meagher murder, April 5, 2013, by Mark Russell.

Justice Nettle suppressed all details of Friday's case in Victoria, including the contents of his interview with police after his arrest on September 27.
The media could only report that Bayley had pleaded guilty to one count of murder and one count of rape.

I wonder why. Would this potentially change after sentencing? So much of that interview has already been widely reported.

Interesting item from Irish source with audio from ABC reporter on issues around sentencing and suppression - I still can't really fathom it.

http://www.newstalk.ie/Man-accused-pleads-guilty-to-Jill-Meaghers-murder

I'm hoping that it's about being seen to be fair in sentencing to avoid appeal grounds down the track?
Thanks for the audio post Macca. Informative post which explains the reasons for Judge Nettle's suppression yesterday: that the defence will use the accused's 'guilty' plea in a contest to argue for a more lenient sentance on June 11th, 2013, so until then all information has been suppressed.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bayley-pleads-guilty-to-meagher-murder-20130405-2hb9p.html

Justice Nettle suppressed all details of Friday's case in Victoria, including the contents of his interview with police after his arrest on September 27.
The media could only report that Bayley had pleaded guilty to one count of murder and one count of rape.

I am wondering whether the suppression order on the case was part of a plea deal. Could Bayley have said he would plead guilty to Jill's murder in exchange for the suppression of details of the case continuing to be reported in the media? I am no legal expert and I am not a journalist. So someone with more knowledge in these areas may be able to explain more. I am so pleased that now there is guilty pleas that the family and the community are spared the stress, time, and considerable financial cost to the community of a full trial.

Thanks for the audio post Macca. Informative post which explains the reasons for Judge Nettle's suppression yesterday: that the defence will use the accused's 'guilty' plea in a contest to argue for a more lenient sentance on June 11th, 2013, so until then all information has been suppressed.

Right, thanks to you too Fuskier. I guess I get that - the guilty plea (no matter how belated and IMO not reflective of any remorse) is taken into account, plus maybe other mitigating factors, eg poor impulse control, bad childhood, the usual excuses. These are then weighed against the appalling nature of this crime? Then does this person's extraordinary, ongoing crime and incarceration history come into play? Is it a balancing act between these three elements? I can only hope the plea and other sympathy cards hold little to no weight and that this creature never walks among us again...

I know it's our system and designed to protect all of us, to see that justice is served and prevent arbitrary sentencing such as we see in some other countries, but it really stretches my tolerance when someone who has willfully and repeatedly forfeited their rights by every human measure still has those rights... :notgood:

Right, thanks to you too Fuskier. I guess I get that - the guilty plea (no matter how belated and IMO not reflective of any remorse) is taken into account, plus maybe other mitigating factors, eg poor impulse control, bad childhood, the usual excuses. These are then weighed against the appalling nature of this crime? Then does this person's extraordinary, ongoing crime and incarceration history come into play? Is it a balancing act between these three elements? I can only hope the plea and other sympathy cards hold little to no weight and that this creature never walks among us again...

I know it's our system and designed to protect all of us, to see that justice is served and prevent arbitrary sentencing such as we see in some other countries, but it really stretches my tolerance when someone who has willfully and repeatedly forfeited their rights by every human measure still has those rights... :notgood:
Some are beyond the reach of therapy and cannot 'integrate' it; they learn the words & phrases which can make them even more dangerous as they 'fool' others, but remain unchanged internally. There is a label for this type of classification. IMO save the difficult childhood allegations etc for his private therapy. IMO this man needs to be accountable under our Laws for his violent and destructive actions against others in the real world.
Nothing will take away this man's past; his brain is programmed towards violent rape & murder of women. He is one dangerous man. He needs to be incarcerated 'indefinitely' for the protection of society IMHO.

I'm wondering if they may semi-permanently continue to suppress details .. doesn't Bayley have more criminal trials coming up for other rapes?

Thinking that they may keep the suppression order in place until he is done and dusted with all of his current trials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper