Found Deceased Australia - Karen Ristevski, 47, Melbourne, Vic, 29 June 2016 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WSer michael.gartley is a visual recognition expert.

There were a few questions about CCTV wrt Karen's car, earlier in this thread.

Michael is willing to help.
How wonderful Bohemian, wondering if Michael Gartley would be able to view this cctv and let us know what he sees, when he has some free time, that would be just great ....... totally indebted, thank you ..... I don't think there's a dog in front passenger seat anymore, hee, but oh boy in one freeze frame it looks like it.
http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...r/news-story/2d25ebc32744cc09f4a05298e23ff5b9

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Hi,

First post on this thread. thank you for informal invite Bohemian ;-)

To get started, I tried to track down the original source of the CCTV video (which seems like a montage of 3 different cameras) provided by Victoria Police. However it seems the original link to the released video and images is now broken:
https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/ne...-assistance-into-the-death-of-karen-ristevski

That link I got from official Victoria Police account tweet dated June 15, 2017
[video=twitter;875496451786252288]https://twitter.com/VictoriaPolice/status/875496451786252288[/video]

Does anyone know if there is an alternate location for the CCTV video released by Victoria Police?

I've been looking at the one on Youtube on the "Storyful News" channel that is 01:20 in length. However, it's preferable to work from the source/originally provided version if possible.

thanks

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is an alternate location for the CCTV video released by Victoria Police?

I've been looking at the one on Youtube on the "Storyful News" channel that is 01:20 in length. However, it's preferable to work from the source/originally provided version if possible.

thanks

RSBM

Welcome, michael! Happy to have you here. :)

I'm sure we will all look around for other versions of the CCTV, but I fear that if VicPol have taken theirs down there may only be copies available on various MSM sites. Like this one ... says it is supplied by VicPol in the google link, but would be a copy I think?

BBM
Jun 15, 2017 - Video: Mercedes coupe may be linked to Karen Ristevski death (ABC News) ... have a suspect or suspects in mind as they released CCTV footage of a car similar to the one the 47-year-old owned, ... (Supplied: Victoria Police).
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-16/karen-ristevski-police-release-cctv-of-mercedes/8623652

When you are looking, I have been wondering about the blacked out window on the passenger rear side. The driver rear side window does not seem to be blacked out from what we can tell.

Hi,

To get started, I tried to track down the original source of the CCTV video (which seems like a montage of 3 different cameras) provided by Victoria Police. However it seems the original link to the released video and images is now broken:
https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/ne...-assistance-into-the-death-of-karen-ristevski

[video=twitter;875496451786252288]https://twitter.com/VictoriaPolice/status/875496451786252288[/video]

thanks

Thank you so much for helping us Michael and welcome. I've seen your excellent work on another case. Have a look at this. If you hit a pay wall, google this headline from the Herald Sun:

Police release CCTV vision of a car they believe might contain murder victim karen risevski's body.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...y/news-story/029696b6c0c93c5fb8777340863339f3

Hi,

thanks
Welcome Michael [emoji4] ..... the three pieces of cctv are also at this link.
http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...r/news-story/2d25ebc32744cc09f4a05298e23ff5b9

From the family's comments I question whether they have been given some sort of time frame from investigators, or an outline of what information they are needing to close this. I imagine I would not be so patient in their shoes, given their lack of public support for Borce's innocence, nor calls to protect society from a random murderer, tells me he is where they suspicions lie. They must have something to justify their faith.

From the family's comments I question whether they have been given some sort of time frame from investigators, or an outline of what information they are needing to close this. I imagine I would not be so patient in their shoes, given their lack of public support for Borce's innocence, nor calls to protect society from a random murderer, tells me he is where they suspicions lie. They must have something to justify their faith.

The New Zealand part of the family may not know Borce well enough to make a call either way.

Btw: AR is back on Fb. Video "The most dangerous person on earth is a fake friend". AR's comment "Or a fake family" ....

The last post (text) I can't understand but he liked it himself. :gaah:

Every time I drive and come across road works I am checking out the person who is operating the STOP, SLOW sign. I think I need a holiday.

Btw: AR is back on Fb. Video "The most dangerous person on earth is a fake friend". AR's comment "Or a fake family" ....

The last post (text) I can't understand but he liked it himself. :gaah:
Hee hee, yes the meme's are back ...... flowing faster than the Heineken's at Oktoberfest [emoji848]

Hi,

thanks

My pleasure, Michael. Thank you very much for joining us and sharing your expertise. We appreciate your help.

Hee hee, yes the meme's are back ...... flowing faster than the Heineken's at Oktoberfest [emoji848]

Please, translate his posts if you are able to guess what he means! Cheers! (Never been there: at Oktoberfest.)

Wow , so SR took a 3 month overseas trip. I hope she's come home stronger and true to herself and finally opens up to the investigations team and answers all the questions required to help solve her mums murder.
Cmon Sarah be brave and tell police what you know. Your mum is looking over you , show her how much you really loved her. It's never too late.

Still digging through various video sources to compare and find the best one (if there is one better quality than others).

The only place I can find an image still that appears to show a "possible" person in passenger's seat
is this news site:

Here is a quick comparison of this still (left) to two images I pulled from from YouTube versions of the CCTV video (middle and right side).

attachment.php

Any amount of sharpening of the video stills doesn't produce the same visual effect as the news.com.au website still photo.

Thoughts? Feel free to tell me where I am wrong, because I still need to do more image and video searching. thanks.

My thinking was either:
(1) a better resolution/quality video was used to create the still for news.com.au article which I have yet to find myself, or
(2) the news.com.au edited the image for some reason.
(3) the visual appearance of someone in the passenger seat is simply due to a compression artifact that is not occurring in the video still images

If reason was #1, it would support the "visual appearance" of someone sitting in passenger's seat, while #2 or #3 would tend to support not being able to tell if someone was sitting in the passenger's seat.

Keep in mind there are processing types (i.e. sharpening) that are based purely on math algorithms, and then there are manual edits to an image that intentionally alter it's content to suit a purpose. I am not alleging anything against the news.com.au website, simply stating what I see as possibilities.

Lastly, if the image feature is really representative of what the CCTV saw, it doesn't mean there is a person sitting in the passenger's seat. Other possibilities (prob already discussed) could be true, such as we are seeing the headrest of the passenger's side seat or another physical portion of the car (such as the vertical piece dividing the two windows on the passenger side of the car).

Thanks for listening, sorry for the rambling
-mike

(p.s. I didn't include the youtube video links, because I wasn't sure they were considered legit main stream media news outlets, but can provide if folks are comfortable with it)

Attachments

• a.PNG
    a.PNG
    279.2 KB · Views: 249
Still digging through various video sources to compare and find the best one (if there is one better quality than others).

The only place I can find an image still that appears to show a "possible" person in passenger's seat
is this news site:

Here is a quick comparison of this still (left) to two images I pulled from from YouTube versions of the CCTV video (middle and right side).

attachment.php

Any amount of sharpening of the video stills doesn't produce the same visual effect as the news.com.au website still photo.

Thoughts? Feel free to tell me where I am wrong, because I still need to do more image and video searching. thanks.

My thinking was either:
(1) a better resolution/quality video was used to create the still for news.com.au article which I have yet to find myself, or
(3) the visual appearance of someone in the passenger seat is simply due to a compression artifact that is not occurring in the video still images

If reason was #1, it would support the "visual appearance" of someone sitting in passenger's seat, while #2 or #3 would tend to support not being able to tell if someone was sitting in the passenger's seat.

Keep in mind there are processing types (i.e. sharpening) that are based purely on math algorithms, and then there are manual edits to an image that intentionally alter it's content to suit a purpose. I am not alleging anything against the news.com.au website, simply stating what I see as possibilities.

Lastly, if the image feature is really representative of what the CCTV saw, it doesn't mean there is a person sitting in the passenger's seat. Other possibilities (prob already discussed) could be true, such as we are seeing the headrest of the passenger's side seat or another physical portion of the car (such as the vertical piece dividing the two windows on the passenger side of the car).

-mike

(p.s. I didn't include the youtube video links, because I wasn't sure they were considered legit main stream media news outlets, but can provide if folks are comfortable with it)

I don't think you were rambling at all, Mike, just covering all bases. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this — I really appreciate it.

As for the YouTube link, I'm sure it's OK to post.

is this news site:

attachment.php

My thinking was either:

-mike

Yes, the news.com.au vision is different and brighter. A still taken from the cctv has what looks like a dog's face blocking full view of the driver, it is only in this one image, can you see what I mean? ... I wonder if someone at that site is messing with our minds [emoji848] .... or maybe just an illusion or just me who sees the image, hee, or maybe is a dog ..... I think not because it only appears for a second. Thank you so much for looking into this for us, completely wonderful.
589a53d053a84efb8087755b11ca4fd2.jpg

Thank you, Michael. I would also be interested in whether you have any comments about the CCTV taken side-on from the car.

I'd also
like to know if from experience Michael thinks the police have better CCTV vision at different areas, with him driving. In this day and age why is CCTV vision so crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also
like to know if from experience Michael thinks the police have better CCTV vision at different areas, with him driving. In this day and age why is CCTV vision so crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCTV is often crap because things are decent distances and to have both the video equipment and data storage to grab, process and retain the detail would be cost prohibitive.

We've had about 3 installations of CCTV at our home across the decades and each time it gets better, and we get pretty clear video now, colour in the day, night vision in the dark. However, if you took a still and cropped it to 1/8th of the screen, it's still not going to look sharp - partially as a result of it being from a video, partially as a result of zooming so far in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro