Australia - Khandalyce Pearce (Wynarka) and Karlie Pearce-Stevenson (Belanglo) #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It wasn't a mysterious postponement of the court hearing. It was simply another 'mention' whereby the magistrate was kept up to date on how the prosecution's case is progressing. The prosecution is waiting on analysis of telephone and financial records before the case can continue and that is perfectly normal. There may be another four or more 'mentions' before this case goes to a committal hearing. It will be determined at the committal hearing if there is enough evidence to send the case to trial before a judge and jury, unless of course Holdom pleads guilty.

Considering Holdom has been charged with not one, but two murders and the huge time frame involved both before and after the murders, police investigators certainly still have a huge amount of work to do. There probably won't be a committal hearing until at least later this year but more likely sometime next year.

Key points noted from the police media conference 27 October 2015.

https://www.facebook.com/sapolicenew...8059551938054/

• It can be confirmed that Karlie and Khandalyce were killed in mid to late December 2008 and the last confirmed reported sighting was in Charnwood in Canberra.
  • Karlie and Khandalyce were killed at different times and at different locations.
  • A significant development in the investigation has been that people who are believed to be the offenders and others have taken over Karlie's identity, her telephone, her bank accounts, her Centrelink and family payments.
  • In relation to Karlie's mobile phone, those involved in her murder retained her phone and it was used until mid 2011. It is believed that the phone was kept and used to provide some proof of life and to mislead family, friends and law enforcement by suggesting that Karlie was still alive because of activity on her phone.
  • From time to time the message bank of Karlie's phone was accessed. Offenders sent some replies to those text messages confirming that Karlie was alive and well and elsewhere. Some of those SMS messages were sent to family members to again suggest that Karlie was still alive.
  • On a couple of occasions maybe more, a female falsely represented herself to be Karlie in communication with either family or friends. Some of these communications induced someone in Karlie's family to forward some money and that money was later withdrawn by offenders in this matter.
  • Karlie's phone was used to help those involved in this crime to perpetuate other frauds and obtain money.
  • Karlie's bank account was accessed in at least four different states, NT, SA, NSW and ACT. Centrelink and family allowance payments and other money was taken from Karlie's account. There is still a lot of material to go through and records to obtain.
  • A large amount of money also went into Karlie's account. That was from wages of a person, fraud and other unknown sources. All up it is believed that over $90,000 was transacted through Karlie's account.
  • On 24 June 2010 a female in a wheelchair accompanied by a male person attended the Australian Central Credit Union in Elizabeth to update banking records and engage in conversations with the bank. Those people were in possession of identity documents and were able to convince the bank that in fact the female that was present was Karlie.
  • Karlie's bank card was also used several times at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in 2010 and was last used in March 2012 in Charnwood in Canberra.
  • There is a significant focus on the financial investigation in Charnwood, Canberra and also in South Australia.
  • Karlie's bank account was finally closed in 2015 after a lengthy period of inactivity.
  • In relation to the Centrelink and family benefit payments, on 15 December 2010 a female attended Centrelink at Salisbury and falsely represented that she was in fact Karlie and produced identity documents for herself and Khandalyce. It's yet to be determined if this female is the same as the one in the wheelchair.
  • The last payments through Centrelink were in 2011.
  • In respect to what is known about the suspects involved in the financial aspects of the bank account transactions, Centrelink fraud and use of the phone, at least one offender is a male, there may have been more and at least two are females and those suspects either resided at or associated with or were listed in connection with properties at Davoren Park, Hillbank, Holden Hill and Charnwood in Canberra.
  • Most of the bank transactions in South Australia were in the northern and north eastern suburbs except for those that were done en route between Alice Springs and the eastern states.
  • It needs to be determined if those involved in the frauds were involved in the murders. It's clear that some of those people involved in the frauds knew without doubt that Karlie and Khandalyce were dead and continued with their role. The focus of the financial investigation is to determine the role of those people who were involved in those frauds and to see whether they were involved before the deaths, during the deaths or after the deaths.
  • Anyone who was involved in any way, or assists anybody involved in this terrible crime, or impedes the investigation or withholds information deliberately to help the offenders, faces a very lengthy term in prison.

BBM: Karlie was murdered in 2008, yet her bank accounts and phone were used for years after that time. The investigation will also be focused on what role the other POI's played in the murders of Karlie and Khandalyce.

Got busy and haven't had time to get on the site in what seems to be forever. The more I think about this particular case, the more diabolical it becomes. While the family deserves justice, I hope the prosecution takes all the time they need to make this as watertight as possible. Every tiny detail upon tiny detail. The more the better.

I will be eternally grateful that we have a decent justice system in Australia.
Imagine living somewhere where people were judged guilty on flimsy evidence and uninformed public opinion.
Wouldn't that be awful?
The presumption of innocence is such a vital human right.
I am thankful for the Romans we inherited it from.

http://www.mygc.com.au/man-accused-killing-karlie-pearce-stevenson-daughter-making-headlines/

The man charged with murdering mother and daughter Karlie Pearce-Stevenson and Khandalyce Kiara Pearce is in the news again.
Daniel James Holdom was being sued by former partner Adelaide woman Hazel Passmore, over a car crash in South Australia’s far north in 2008 that left her wheelchair-bound and killed two of her children.
Channel Nine reported on Monday that settlement has been reached, but there were no further details.
Ms Passmore filed civil action in the South Australian District Court in 2011.
She had been seeking damages from Holdom for the crash which she claimed reduced her employment prospects and quality of life.
It has been previously reported that any compensation ordered would potentially be paid through a compulsory third-party insurance claim. The car involved in the collision was a hire car.
Holdom remains in custody in New South Wales. He was charged with the murder of two-year-old Khandalyce whose remains were found in a suitcase east of Adelaide in 2015, after she was murdered in 2008.

http://www.mygc.com.au/man-accused-killing-karlie-pearce-stevenson-daughter-making-headlines/

The man charged with murdering mother and daughter Karlie Pearce-Stevenson and Khandalyce Kiara Pearce is in the news again.
Daniel James Holdom was being sued by former partner Adelaide woman Hazel Passmore, over a car crash in South Australia’s far north in 2008 that left her wheelchair-bound and killed two of her children.
Channel Nine reported on Monday that settlement has been reached, but there were no further details.
Ms Passmore filed civil action in the South Australian District Court in 2011.
She had been seeking damages from Holdom for the crash which she claimed reduced her employment prospects and quality of life.
It has been previously reported that any compensation ordered would potentially be paid through a compulsory third-party insurance claim. The car involved in the collision was a hire car.
Holdom remains in custody in New South Wales. He was charged with the murder of two-year-old Khandalyce whose remains were found in a suitcase east of Adelaide in 2015, after she was murdered in 2008.

Interesting that HP didn't file a civil suit against DJH until 2011. This tallies with a neighbour's statement on MSM that they allegedly lived together up until shortly before then, even though HP has allegedly said her relationship with DJH ended soon after the accident. This would also encompass the period of time the frauds were allegedly committed AFAIK.

Interesting that HP didn't file a civil suit against DJH until 2011. This tallies with a neighbour's statement on MSM that they allegedly lived together up until shortly before then, even though HP has allegedly said her relationship with DJH ended soon after the accident. This would also encompass the period of time the frauds were allegedly committed AFAIK.

But wouldn't she have sued the insurance company for all her expenses and so on? But this is a civil claim. I wonder how much she got? I wonder why it has taken 5 years since she lodged the claim?

But wouldn't she have sued the insurance company for all her expenses and so on? But this is a civil claim. I wonder how much she got? I wonder why it has taken 5 years since she lodged the claim?

I'm no lawyer but maybe the civil suit was to compensate her (and/or her children) for pain and suffering resulting from the accident.

A claim(s) against the car rental company's third party injury insurance may only have covered her/her children's medical expenses? Unless, of course, the person driving the car was not covered under the rental agreement.

Anyway, there may have been the opportunity to make two (or more) separate claims.

Gosh, for all we know there may have also been the opportunity for additional claim(s) under the state's 'victims of crime' legislation if the driver was found guilty of a driving offence(s), regardless of whether they were fined or served probation or a custodial sentence.

As for the amount, I'm not sure but i have an idea a civil suit may net more than any third party and/or VoC compensation cimbined from a state or the Federal government.

AFAIK the amount of third party compensation is normally 'capped' (i.e., in my home state, the maximum amount of this type of compensation was around $10,000 last I heard).

I don't know about the time lag. Maybe you need time to experience and thus build a case in a civil suit where you're seeking compensation for 'pain and suffering'.

It seems like a terribly complex legal situation. (Aha! We were all wondering how HP had access to such a famous silk so quickly. I think the preceding may be our answer, I.e., he may have acted/be acting for her in the proceedings resulting from the accident).

Also of interest is that the civil claim wasn't filed until 3 years after the accident.

All MOO.

However, she did not seek compensation for the deaths of her two children — an oversight Master Mark Rice recommended she address prior to the lawsuit entering settlement discussions.

Hmm...

December 8, 2015
Karlie and Khandalyce case: Hazel Passmore suing alleged killer Daniel Holdom for damages over car crash

However, the District Court on Tuesday heard Hazel Passmore’s claim against Daniel Marshall, aka Daniel Holdom, has not sought compensation for the deaths of her two children.

Master Mark Rice recommended that oversight be addressed prior to the lawsuit entering settlement discussions in February next year.

“There’s something peculiar about this matter ... two children were killed in this collision but the claim does not refer to that,” he said.

“She’s entitled to damages for the deaths of the children, as well as burial and funeral costs, in the ordinary course.”

May 9, 2016
Karlie and Khandalyce case: Hazel Passmore reaches settlement with alleged killer Daniel Holdom over car crash injuries

The woman linked to the Karlie and Khandalyce murder investigation has reached an out-of-court settlement with the alleged killer for injuries she sustained in a car crash.

The District Court on Monday heard that Hazel Passmore had settled her claim against former partner Daniel Marshall, now known as Daniel Holdom, over the 2008 crash in South Australia’s Far North.

After the car crash, Ms Passmore, whose left leg had to be amputated above the knee, told police she did not blame Marshall for the accident.

Court documents showed Ms Passmore was seeking unspecified damages in her claim, in which she asserted the crash and her injuries were caused by Holdom’s negligence.

However, she did not seek compensation for the deaths of her two children — an oversight Master Mark Rice recommended she address prior to the lawsuit entering settlement discussions.

The court on Monday heard Ms Passmore and Holdom had reached a settlement over her claim.

The Advertiser understands any payout would come from Holdom’s compulsory third-party insurance.

Thank you, Makara. As always you sort the wheat from the chaff.

Do you have any opinion on why HP didn't sue DJH over the deaths of her children? It seems quite unusual.
I put the non-suing over the children together with HP's reported comment that she didn't blame DJH for their deaths. So why not? Was she sort of protecting him from feeling too bad about it? Did she feel guilty herself, thought she or the children distracted him while driving? I have wondered whether the driver was in fact HP, and they conspired for DJH to take the blame because the insurance payout was better that way. Then if he was taking the blame for her accident, there was an understanding that she owed him something, and that's why she co-operated (up to a point) in the K&K fraud.

I put the non-suing over the children together with HP's reported comment that she didn't blame DJH for their deaths. So why not? Was she sort of protecting him from feeling too bad about it? Did she feel guilty herself, thought she or the children distracted him while driving? I have wondered whether the driver was in fact HP, and they conspired for DJH to take the blame because the insurance payout was better that way. Then if he was taking the blame for her accident, there was an understanding that she owed him something, and that's why she co-operated (up to a point) in the K&K fraud.

Very clever, JLZ. Remind me never to get on your bad side *shudders* : D

I've been thinking over you're theory JLZ. It has struck me how somewhat cryptic HP's statement was when she said she doesn't blame DH for the accident but she has to be angry at someone.

Does HP mean she doesn't blame DH for the accident but she has to be angry with him regardless? OR She doesn't blame DH, but she's angry with another person & that person remains un-named as media have suggested? If so, who on earth could that person be & how could they be implicated in regards to this fatal accident when they weren't apparently even present there?

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...h/news-story/52071e8f94f94824120db6335594dd0f

Passmore, who was restricted to a wheelchair after having her left leg amputated, told police in 2009 she did not blame him for the accid*ent, despite telling them she “had to be angry at someone”.

"It's understood any payout would come from holdom compulsory 3rd party insurance"
how could that happen if he didn't have a license and was off his face?

ive always wondered if he was in fact driving
if the rental car was written off.
Wouldnt there have been a huge gap to pay for the insurance to cover it? Would it even be covered if he was unlicensed? Why would you allow someone to drive if you knew they didn't have a valid license??
My mind is boggling
imo

Symbah: I think it would be understandable if HP had free-floating anger after what she went through. Either angry about the way her life changed, or angry with all the frustrations of dealing with the injury and Centrelink and lawyers, or in a constant irritable state as an after-effect of trauma. It wouldn't have to be because she blamed someone.

DinkyDi: "A passenger who is injured and who knew or ought to have known that the driver's ability to drive was impaired by alcohol or drugs will also have any compensation reduced by the prescribed amount [Civil Liability Act 1936 (SA) s 47]. A passenger injured when not in a passenger compartment will have their damages reduced by 25%. Similarly, if the driver was inexperienced or unlicensed then the passenger's compensation will be reduced if the passenger was negligent in failing to care for her or his own safety." http://www.lawhandbook.sa.gov.au/ch01s03s03s02.php

"It's understood any payout would come from holdom compulsory 3rd party insurance"
how could that happen if he didn't have a license and was off his face?

ive always wondered if he was in fact driving
if the rental car was written off.
Wouldnt there have been a huge gap to pay for the insurance to cover it? Would it even be covered if he was unlicensed? Why would you allow someone to drive if you knew they didn't have a valid license??
My mind is boggling
imo

I'm not sure on this, but I think he may of had a license at the time of the accident but lost it due to negligence as a result of his part in the accident. Also, I think in order for HP to sue him she had to prove he was negligent which I imagine would of been quite straightforward. Its strange it took almost 3 years for HP to lodge her civil action against him. I think the courts have a 3 year time limit on lodgement & I wonder if it became its a now or never situation for her as 2011 was coming up to 3 years.

Seems to me that the period of time from late 2010 to early 2012 is significant. AFAIK 2011 has been mentioned as being the year in which there was a lot of 'movement'; including the 'midnight flit' DJH and HP did from the home where HP left behind (one of?) her prosthetic leg and a 'shrine' to her two(?) children killed in the accident. I wonder if there is something particularly significant about that year or so or it's mere coincidence. Sorry, my brain's too tired to add extra information, but I wanted to post about it in case it sparked similar thoughts for someone else or they can think about events between the dates above more coherently (and/or for future reference).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tb3