Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still thinking about the recently released info that no-one named Remakel has entered or left country since 1990 (or living here for that matter) ... sorry for going on about it, but this news is not just incidental, it's monumental .... a lot of theories are thrown to the wind now. We are either dealing with a go-between or someone using the fake name of Remakel. It's huge that no Remakels have been here and yet it seems to have been skimmed over as though it's not of too much importance. Come on NSW police, it's time, can you just push a few buttons on your keyboard and find out who the number was registered to? Slot it in here if you like, that would be nice, no worries. Cheers
The trouble is, NSW police may well have this information. They are under no obligation to share it with us. Even more so now that the case is being reviewed- they are not going to share information in a current investigation.

I have emailed the newspaper, but as yet not had a response. I have asked questions around their distribution in the early 90's, and whether the paper was sold on the Gold Coast. I also asked if it was sold in the Northern Rivers area- if not, what would be the point of the ad? Was it a lonely hearts ad, or a message for someone with meaning only they would get? I will be a long way down their list of priorities, so it may take a while. I am also looking into the distribution in Australia during the 90's of work by author Michele Remakel, an educator from Luxembourg.

Does anyone know much about customs? Would a check for Remakel also show hits for Remacel or Remackel? Or Remakle, Remacle or Remackle? On ancestry, the spellings seem to interchange over generations.

The interview would most certainly be something Fernand agreed to and an opportunity for him to share whatever information he wants to share publicly.

Yes absolutely Meligator, he would have agreed to the interview and been aware of what the discussion was about.

The issue for me is more ethical than legal. I feel like Ferdinand is being portrayed as the villian. I feel like he is being treated like a villain, so he responds like a villain, to justify him treated like a villain.

I'm not saying it isnt a legitimate line of enquiry, I just dont understand why they are so aggressively gunning for this guy when there is so little (if any) evidence of a possible association with Marion.

Sunday morning thoughts .... have been wondering about something Bryan said in Episode 14 at around 35.40 about the Monsieur Remakel ad
“... listing a PO Box and phone number just 20 minutes away from where Marion lived at the time.” I thought Marion lived in Ashmore at the time .... just checked distance between Lennox Head and Ashmore and it’s 118.6 km (1 hr 22 min), and from the Ballina phone number it’s 120.8 km to Ashmore. Did Marion live at another address at end of ‘94? End of Sunday thoughts.

Good point Itsapuzzle. Marion purchased the Ashmore house in Jan 94 so she was in Ashmore when the ad was published.

The trouble is, NSW police may well have this information. They are under no obligation to share it with us. Even more so now that the case is being reviewed- they are not going to share information in a current investigation.

I have emailed the newspaper, but as yet not had a response. I have asked questions around their distribution in the early 90's, and whether the paper was sold on the Gold Coast. I also asked if it was sold in the Northern Rivers area- if not, what would be the point of the ad? Was it a lonely hearts ad, or a message for someone with meaning only they would get? I will be a long way down their list of priorities, so it may take a while. I am also looking into the distribution in Australia during the 90's of work by author Michele Remakel, an educator from Luxembourg.

Does anyone know much about customs? Would a check for Remakel also show hits for Remacel or Remackel? Or Remakle, Remacle or Remackle? On ancestry, the spellings seem to interchange over generations.

Exactly Mel1303, police may have the information already. They may also have ruled it out (without looking into it) based on what they already know from their investigation.

Great point about the varied presentation of the name. That might explain why there were so few hits on the name. The Luxemburgish educator is a good find! I wonder if Marion followed her work (or if TSS used her material in their teacher professional development)??

As always, I hope Sally finds out what happened to her mum, one way or another all those years ago. I fully support Sally, while being very unsupportive of some of the tactics of the podcast team.

As far as why the police don't investigate different matters, or if they do and we don't know about it, I think it comes down to the basics of police practice and what the legal obligations of the police are. Looking at the laws in NSW, and trolling through the podcast for the actual facts, for me it comes down to this. Sally enters Byron Bay police station in October 1997 and reports her mother missing. It is listed as an occurrence, which we now know is standard practice.

We don't know who in the police did what, but we do know, from Sally's account, that she got a phone call within a week to say that her mother had been located and did not want contact. (Episode 4, 4:55) Sally asked for more information, but the officer told Sally he couldn't give her any more information as her mother hand indicated that she didn't want to be found. Jack Wilson, Marion's father, was not happy with this outcome, and in 1998 approached the Salvation Army Family Tracing Service. Jack's notes indicate that he asked the police what identification had been made, and that he was told that the bank security had contacted her on the phone, and that she had said she didn't want her whereabouts known (Ep 4 7:14). They said that the bank security were like police, and that if I wanted to probe further, I should hire a private detective and start in Byron Bay. The Salvation Army indicated to Jack in a letter that she had been identified withdrawing money at a different bank, and spoke of starting a new life. (ep4 8:16) Jack receives a letter dated 18/3/98, stating that the salvos officer had been speaking at length to the NSW MPU, who in turn contacted the security officer at the Colonial State Bank at Ashmore, at Southport, and after lengthy conversations were able to advice that it was definitely your daughter Marion who went in and withdrew the balance of the account at Ashmore on the 15th October 1990 (assumed typ0) and talked of starting a new life. Diedre recalls the fact that Marion had said that she was angry with Sally that she hadn't put money in the account for the car.

From the NSW Police handbook:

Locating missing people Officer locating missing person A MP must only be ‘located’ when he / she has been sighted by a person in authority (eg: Police Officer, Customs Officer, Family and Community Services, Department of Immigration Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs, Department of Corrective Services, treating Doctor, Mental Health Practitioner, School Principal). If in doubt Seek advice from the MPU. The locating officer should sight the MP and check that the MP is safe and well and provide any assistance where necessary. After locating a MP, update COPS by creating a new incident as ‘Missing Now Located Person’ in the original event, remove any MP warning, do not create a new event, add new narrative that outlines when, where and by whom located and sighted, and details of advice to NOK or person reporting….Where the MP is an adult or above the age of 16 years, notify the person who lodged the MP report that the person has been located. If, however, the located person does not wish their whereabouts to be disclosed, and/or the matter has been referred to the Family and Community Services (FACS) (under 18ys), do not disclose their whereabouts.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/631004/nsw_police_force_handbook.pdf

In conversations 3, Sally confirms that Garry told her that Marion had used her medicare card in Grafton. The medical files from Grafton could contain information, from a treating doctor, as to her identity. That would be absolutely off the table for our knowledge, and not available to Sally. A police officer has confirmed to me that a bank employee using proper protocol to identify a bank customer while withdrawing a large sum of money would be considered to be a person in authority. These are two very viable ways that Marion could have been sighted, identified and listed as located following full procedure, without a member of the New South Wales police force having sighted her. The police have to follow due process- she had been identified by someone considered to be a person in authority, (who it sounds like had her phone number to follow up and ask further questions of) so MUST be registered as located. If she indicated that she wanted no further contact, that is her legal right. Hurtful as it must be to all the many families who are enduring the pain of missing a person who decided to walk away.
When Sally returned to police after 10 years, the file was missing- but the podcast has shared with us that this would be to be expected- Virginia Evans, a sworn NSW police office in 1997, told us that a missing persons file marked located would in 1997 have been paper based, and destroyed after 6 years. So in 2007 it would have been destroyed four years prior. There are still some statements from Graham Childs though- so I assume they came from his notebook, which would not have been destroyed.

So, following procedure- police investigate, find no evidence of foul play, find a person in authority who can meet police process (sighted and identified withdrawing money, further details in follow up phone call) to identify her, therefore mark her as located, and let her daughter, as the person who made the report, know. No further information can be shared as per Marion's request. To go to England, or Luxembourg, to track down the movements of a person legally deemed not to be missing, would be a breach of Marion's civil rights and privacy. If this happened, and Marion's location was revealed to a third party, that police officer could be facing some stiff disciplinary action. There is nothing stopping Sally searching for her- indeed, the police suggested Jack Wilson to hire a private detective and start in Byron Bay (which to me reads- wish I could tell you more, a private detective could, and here is a tip). Garry Sheehan reinvestigates a decade later, also comes to the conclusion that she met the criteria for being marked located (note- he had also found the medicare information, so had the doctors information- a doctor being a person in authority).

Now that the case is being reviewed, and Marion is back on the missing persons register, many of the investigations that people would like to see happen probably will. Garry Sheehan, and Graham Childs before him, did their jobs, followed the evidence and made their determinations following the law. I know the podcast keeps going on about how they haven't done enough, but with investigative journalists on their team they should be able to read the Crimes Act, the NSW police handbook and the NSW Police Missing persons standard operations guide, and actually tell the truth about what the police have done, can do and cant do.

Thoughts on these points:
* Graeme Childs report, as stated in episode 4- said that $80 000 had been electronically transferred, possibly with the intent of buying property overseas. This has been held up as an example of poor record keeping and a poor understanding of the case- but it was the original investigation that found the account with the Colonial in Ashmore. She was withdrawing lots of $5000 in cash from the Commonwealth- all we know about the visit to the Colonial was that she withdrew the balance of her account. Where was she stashing the cash? Maybe some of it in the colonial account? Maybe both versions are completely correct, and give us additional information, rather than muddying the waters.
* The two different dates for the passport entering airports- Marions (Florabellas) reenters through Sydney on August 2nd, but an AFP email states Brisbane, in September. Garry Sheehan has apologised, said it was definitely August 2. That it hasn't left the country since. BUT- has it been used as id to fly within Australia? Back into Brisbane, for example, in Sept? From somewhere she had been visiting?

Also- one of Marion's friends (Maybe Janice?) said that Marion spoke of visiting an aunt while away, but she didn't know if it was a familial aunt. In conversations 5, 13 mins in, Sally talked of the fact that Marion's mother, Colleen, had a sister who was married to an English man, and that they had moved back to England. That Marion had cousins in England, Germany. Germany- which borders Luxembourg. Is there any connection with the names on Marions new passport and the cousins, their own wider families? I wonder if Marion had any prior contact with the cousins?

ETA- according to ancestry, Remakel is a name found in Germany, as well.

The Salvation Army indicated to Jack in a letter that she had been identified withdrawing money at a different bank, and spoke of starting a new life. (ep4 8:16) Jack receives a letter dated 18/3/98, stating that the salvos officer had been speaking at length to the NSW MPU, who in turn contacted the security officer at the Colonial State Bank at Ashmore, at Southport, and after lengthy conversations were able to advice that it was definitely your daughter Marion who went in and withdrew the balance of the account at Ashmore on the 15th October 1990 (assumed typ0) and talked of starting a new life. Diedre recalls the fact that Marion had said that she was angry with Sally that she hadn't put money in the account for the car.
Just taken a snippet out of your post Mel1303 if that's okay. I've been wondering who the heck is the bank security officer? Is it the guy at the door in the security uniform? It is interesting that the security officer was at Ashmore near Marion's home, and not the Byron Bay security officer where Marion didn't bank. That is of interest. But if it's the guy at the door how would he know Marion's full name and all her information? Usually give a "Hi Jack", "Hi", "Nice day", etc ...... it's just something I've been wondering about, h'mm, who exactly is the security officer? Cheers
Afterthought .... wait, need to know when this account was opened, was it just for the money from the house, or was it her regular account, the Colonial one in 1997? H'mm. That would be interesting to find out, when was it opened. If it was opened just recently how would they know so much about Marion? Ah well, just some thoughts, probably mad ones :)

Last edited:
As always, I hope Sally finds out what happened to her mum, one way or another all those years ago. I fully support Sally, while being very unsupportive of some of the tactics of the podcast team.

As far as why the police don't investigate different matters, or if they do and we don't know about it, I think it comes down to the basics of police practice and what the legal obligations of the police are. Looking at the laws in NSW, and trolling through the podcast for the actual facts, for me it comes down to this. Sally enters Byron Bay police station in October 1997 and reports her mother missing. It is listed as an occurrence, which we now know is standard practice.

We don't know who in the police did what, but we do know, from Sally's account, that she got a phone call within a week to say that her mother had been located and did not want contact. (Episode 4, 4:55) Sally asked for more information, but the officer told Sally he couldn't give her any more information as her mother hand indicated that she didn't want to be found. Jack Wilson, Marion's father, was not happy with this outcome, and in 1998 approached the Salvation Army Family Tracing Service. Jack's notes indicate that he asked the police what identification had been made, and that he was told that the bank security had contacted her on the phone, and that she had said she didn't want her whereabouts known (Ep 4 7:14). They said that the bank security were like police, and that if I wanted to probe further, I should hire a private detective and start in Byron Bay. The Salvation Army indicated to Jack in a letter that she had been identified withdrawing money at a different bank, and spoke of starting a new life. (ep4 8:16) Jack receives a letter dated 18/3/98, stating that the salvos officer had been speaking at length to the NSW MPU, who in turn contacted the security officer at the Colonial State Bank at Ashmore, at Southport, and after lengthy conversations were able to advice that it was definitely your daughter Marion who went in and withdrew the balance of the account at Ashmore on the 15th October 1990 (assumed typ0) and talked of starting a new life. Diedre recalls the fact that Marion had said that she was angry with Sally that she hadn't put money in the account for the car.

Locating missing people Officer locating missing person A MP must only be ‘located’ when he / she has been sighted by a person in authority (eg: Police Officer, Customs Officer, Family and Community Services, Department of Immigration Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs, Department of Corrective Services, treating Doctor, Mental Health Practitioner, School Principal). If in doubt Seek advice from the MPU. The locating officer should sight the MP and check that the MP is safe and well and provide any assistance where necessary. After locating a MP, update COPS by creating a new incident as ‘Missing Now Located Person’ in the original event, remove any MP warning, do not create a new event, add new narrative that outlines when, where and by whom located and sighted, and details of advice to NOK or person reporting….Where the MP is an adult or above the age of 16 years, notify the person who lodged the MP report that the person has been located. If, however, the located person does not wish their whereabouts to be disclosed, and/or the matter has been referred to the Family and Community Services (FACS) (under 18ys), do not disclose their whereabouts.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0014/631004/nsw_police_force_handbook.pdf

In conversations 3, Sally confirms that Garry told her that Marion had used her medicare card in Grafton. The medical files from Grafton could contain information, from a treating doctor, as to her identity. That would be absolutely off the table for our knowledge, and not available to Sally. A police officer has confirmed to me that a bank employee using proper protocol to identify a bank customer while withdrawing a large sum of money would be considered to be a person in authority. These are two very viable ways that Marion could have been sighted, identified and listed as located following full procedure, without a member of the New South Wales police force having sighted her. The police have to follow due process- she had been identified by someone considered to be a person in authority, (who it sounds like had her phone number to follow up and ask further questions of) so MUST be registered as located. If she indicated that she wanted no further contact, that is her legal right. Hurtful as it must be to all the many families who are enduring the pain of missing a person who decided to walk away.
When Sally returned to police after 10 years, the file was missing- but the podcast has shared with us that this would be to be expected- Virginia Evans, a sworn NSW police office in 1997, told us that a missing persons file marked located would in 1997 have been paper based, and destroyed after 6 years. So in 2007 it would have been destroyed four years prior. There are still some statements from Graham Childs though- so I assume they came from his notebook, which would not have been destroyed.

So, following procedure- police investigate, find no evidence of foul play, find a person in authority who can meet police process (sighted and identified withdrawing money, further details in follow up phone call) to identify her, therefore mark her as located, and let her daughter, as the person who made the report, know. No further information can be shared as per Marion's request. To go to England, or Luxembourg, to track down the movements of a person legally deemed not to be missing, would be a breach of Marion's civil rights and privacy. If this happened, and Marion's location was revealed to a third party, that police officer could be facing some stiff disciplinary action. There is nothing stopping Sally searching for her- indeed, the police suggested Jack Wilson to hire a private detective and start in Byron Bay (which to me reads- wish I could tell you more, a private detective could, and here is a tip). Garry Sheehan reinvestigates a decade later, also comes to the conclusion that she met the criteria for being marked located (note- he had also found the medicare information, so had the doctors information- a doctor being a person in authority).

Now that the case is being reviewed, and Marion is back on the missing persons register, many of the investigations that people would like to see happen probably will. Garry Sheehan, and Graham Childs before him, did their jobs, followed the evidence and made their determinations following the law. I know the podcast keeps going on about how they haven't done enough, but with investigative journalists on their team they should be able to read the Crimes Act, the NSW police handbook and the NSW Police Missing persons standard operations guide, and actually tell the truth about what the police have done, can do and cant do.

Even if police followed procedures in 1997/1998 for establishing Marion Barter as “located,” the current status of Florabella Remakel seems to be missing, as no one has been able to locate her.

Just taken a snippet out of your post Mel1303 if that's okay. I've been wondering who the heck is the bank security officer? Is it the guy at the door in the security uniform? It is interesting that the security officer was at Ashmore near Marion's home, and not the Byron Bay security officer where Marion didn't bank. That is of interest. But if it's the guy at the door how would he know Marion's full name and all her information? Usually give a "Hi Jack", "Hi", "Nice day", etc ...... it's just something I've been wondering about, h'mm, who exactly is the security officer? Cheers
Afterthought .... wait, need to know when this account was opened, was it just for the money from the house, or was it her regular account, the Colonial one in 1997? H'mm. That would be interesting to find out, when was it opened. If it was opened just recently how would they know so much about Marion? Ah well, just some thoughts, probably mad ones :)

Security in banking is whatever is securing your debt. The title of "securities officer" is the person at the bank who (prior to centralisation) prepared lending and settlement documentation and attended to stamp duties and registration activities. Depending on the set up at the branch the manager generally did the interviews and approvals and the security officer (they may be more than one depending on the amount of lending they did) the documentation.

Well said (and researched!!) Mel1303. Couldnt agree with this more.

Even if police followed procedures in 1997/1998 for establishing Marion Barter as “located,” the current status of Florabella Remakel seems to be missing, as no one has been able to locate her.
That's very true- I agree completely. I don't know how the logistics of that works. She indicated that she was starting her new life, and didn't want contact with her family. To run an investigation into where she is now- how does that fit with her rights to have chosen to leave? If she is found, who is told? Because unless she changes her mind- the only information able to be released already has been. If she walked into a police station today, and said "here I am, here is my proof, I have already told you I don't want contact. I am alive, but want nothing disclosed" I don't even know if they can pass on the alive part. Maybe with her permission the police could say "she is alive" and that's it. If Marion is out there alive and well, I truly hope all this attention will drive her to make contact, even if only with police. I don't envy the coroner making the decision. If an inquest occurs, and the police documents are made available, a whole lot more about Marion's actions in 1997 will be revealed. She has every right to that privacy. Yet, the fact that no one can find trace of her in the 20 + years since is highly suspicious, and warrants investigation to check on her safety and wellbeing. Marion has the right to a new life, but surely Sally has the right to live her own life without being in limbo. It is so complex and difficult. I guess I think of people like Lori Ruff- no one from her past would have found a trace of her, as she was living under an assumed identity.

I was really making the point that the podcast producers don't always seem as concerned as I believe they should about reporting completely truthfully. In conversations 3 Brian straight up says that NSWP protocol says an officer must physically sight a person or find remains to list a person as located, and that the police had ignored their own protocol. That is not true. Not being happy with what has happened is not and excuse to be liberal with the truth. (5:53) I am really concerned that in the efforts to make the police look bad, actual clues might be missed. I feel that Sally and Marion deserve a bit better. Garry Sheehan, too.

Security in banking is whatever is securing your debt. The title of "securities officer" is the person at the bank who (prior to centralisation) prepared lending and settlement documentation and attended to stamp duties and registration activities. Depending on the set up at the branch the manager generally did the interviews and approvals and the security officer (they may be more than one depending on the amount of lending they did) the documentation.
Thanks, I was confused by this as well!

To me, the Colonial Bank in Ashmore is an important place to look. I saw on the fb page that they are looking for staff from the Commonwealth bank in Ashmore- I guess because when they merged some of the staff would have gone to the commonwealth? It really sounds to me as though the bank had a way of contacting Marion after she returned to Australia.

I drove to Armidale today to check out the teachers college archives- but they only open in the afternoon- should have done my own fact checking, as I couldn't stay. Next time! The discrepancy with where Marion studied is really bugging me, especially as the early report that she studied in Armidale has her in the same town as the crimestoppers tip.

Marion's passport arrived back in Australia on August 2 1997, a Saturday - do we know what date money started coming out from Byron Bay bank?
Ah, completely brilliant, thanks Intrigued, I'll put a line through the guy at the door in the security uniform, hee :)

Another spontaneous thought has come to mind ... when they check the passengers on Marion's return flight, h'mm, what if there's someone with an address in Ballina .... hope they can check all the home addresses of passengers. Thinking they headed straight there from the flight (if the money started coming out on the Monday from Byron Bay) - looks like a three week stay before moving on - maybe - that'd be interesting, then it could tie in with the ad from 1994, wouldn't that be something :) (But I don't know what dates money came out, alas and woe)

Another spontaneous thought has come to mind ... when they check the passengers on Marion's return flight, h'mm, what if there's someone with an address in Ballina .... hope they can check all the home addresses of passengers. Thinking they headed straight there from the flight (if the money started coming out on the Monday from Byron Bay) - looks like a three week stay before moving on - maybe - that'd be interesting, then it could tie in with the ad from 1994, wouldn't that be something :) (But I don't know what dates money came out, alas and woe)

Hmm would they actually check that information though? I can't really see police checking the addresses of potentially hundreds of people who had taken the same flight... but if Marion had checked-in with someone, or there was someone else on the same booking as her that would be very interesting... and hopefully much easier to find hmmmm

Hmm would they actually check that information though? I can't really see police checking the addresses of potentially hundreds of people who had taken the same flight... but if Marion had checked-in with someone, or there was someone else on the same booking as her that would be very interesting... and hopefully much easier to find hmmmm
Good point Sparkles5777, I like it, most excellent, and maybe a Ballina link there .... you're right, they aren't going to check addresses, my wild imagination, I do tend to get carried away - too many Columbo episodes maybe :) ..... was thinking they could push a search-word button for Ballina on the flight or something and up it would pop, like a mushroom :) Cheers

Good point Sparkles5777, I like it, most excellent, and maybe a Ballina link there .... you're right, they aren't going to check addresses, my wild imagination, I do tend to get carried away - too many Columbo episodes maybe :) ..... was thinking they could push a search-word button for Ballina on the flight or something and up it would pop, like a mushroom :) Cheers

I bet they probably could if she'd taken the flight nowadays though!! Our personal info is so readily available now, it's almost scary!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08