Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, Jun 1997 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, at age 20 GM could have passed for 35 ... just going by the photo I've seen .... he seems to lie about his age all over the place too, birth-date has many variations! I have found the conviction date for 1998, seems to be 1st of December (Happy birthday to you!!) He doesn't seem to serve much time either!

Kelly in the doco was free to contact her family etc... there was no physical hold just a mental one which could account for Marion been able to visit the bank alone, answer the phone to the bank, maybe even travel alone etc... she may have chosen not to involve her family in what she considered to be a dangerous situation.

If not Goran, then someone else that used the same tactics to gain control of people, I would say there are only a handful in this world that would go to the lengths of deception as GM has.

what an evil piece of work, he should have been shut down long before now. Kelly's story is horrific

Thanks ITSAPUZZEL for leading us to this information

Maybe Marion was under surveillance if it was her who went to the bank.

With the "scammer" watching to make sure she followed orders.
Perhaps she was told her family and friends would be in danger if she ever tried to contact them.

with Kelly he didn't even need to be in the same country as her, she was actually free to leave at anytime and she travelled, but he had totally convinced her her life was in danger and to do what he and his "employer " said to do but the whole thing was fabricated, he took $120K of her money over a few months. google Goran Markovic scam to see her very detailed story.

60mins intro to the story -

Warning!

There's no nice way to put it: GM is a con artist. He's very good at being very bad, and no-one should ever believe or trust him. For 40 years he has been perfecting his nasty craft, lying his way around Australia and the world, fleecing almost everyone he encounters. From millionaire businessmen to unsuspecting women - anyone it seems is a potential target. Even police, tasked with trying to bring Markovic to justice, have been mocked and taunted by this elusive "catch me if you can" crook. But in a special 60 Minutes investigation, the tables are turned as the conman gets stung by two of his victims. GM is finally caught and it's all on camera.

Kelly in the doco was free to contact her family etc... there was no physical hold just a mental one which could account for Marion been able to visit the bank alone, answer the phone to the bank, maybe even travel alone etc... she may have chosen not to involve her family in what she considered to be a dangerous situation.

If not Goran, then someone else that used the same tactics to gain control of people, I would say there are only a handful in this world that would go to the lengths of deception as GM has.

what an evil piece of work, he should have been shut down long before now. Kelly's story is horrific

Thanks ITSAPUZZEL for leading us to this information
No worries KiwiNZ - okay, so I’m hopeless at math, can anyone backdate this ... he had already served 290 days pre-sentence detention on 1 Dec 1998 .... what date does that bring it back to? Thanks, on bus now :)

Yes, that's a puzzle isn't it, why change your name to Remakel if you're marrying one .... and even more puzzling, who changes their first name after 51 years on earth, gives themselves a new first name, middle name and leaves their first name as a third name .... ??

this is just so mind bending, as they say the truth is crazier than fiction, which is why I like true crime. But with this case it is hard to make sense of nonsense.

The name is change is truly bizarre, as you say why change your name if you intend to marry ? Changing your name is not marriage and would hold no water with immigration requirements in other countries, you need a marriage certificate for that … you could use it to convince other avenues you were a married couple though ? like the bank as they do not require a marriage cert, but I don't see what the end gain would be or in what situation that would be advantageous.

I also cant seem to move past that Marion did change her name and re entered the country without telling her family, if the police are correct and the bank ID her 3 months after re-entering then she didn't bother contacting them in all that time, that's just not normal and seems deliberate in nature. Maybe the reason we are having such trouble connecting the dots is that this is random and Marion did choose to disappear an therefore there is no 3rd party to connect the dots too..

[/QUOTE]
Oh interesting theory....was she conned into changing her name to Remakel, so that a Remakel could pose as her husband and access her bank account etc.

Could someone please clarify the passport issue for me? I know she entered Australia as Florabella but did she leave Australia for the UK as well as Florabella? I am assuming she did but just need clarification. You would think this would then make it harder for family to track her to see if she actually left Aus in the first place. And how did Sally's friend know it was Marion who came back into Australia if Florabella was on her passport? Also, when travelled about in UK did she go by Marion or Florabellla?

Could someone please clarify the passport issue for me? I know she entered Australia as Florabella but did she leave Australia for the UK as well as Florabella? I am assuming she did but just need clarification. You would think this would then make it harder for family to track her to see if she actually left Aus in the first place. And how did Sally's friend know it was Marion who came back into Australia if Florabella was on her passport? Also, when travelled about in UK did she go by Marion or Florabellla?

she applied for the new passport "florabella" before she left Aus, any previous passports automatically are made void, so you can not travel on any other passport other than your current one.

Sallys friend worked in immigration or somewhere with access to the database for immigration. At the time they confirmed the re-entry date of Marion into Aus, however its not clear why at the time the name change was not mentioned to Sally, all names ( pre deed poll names, maiden names etc...) will be linked to your passport as it would have come up on a search. But it doesn't look like that piece of information was past on to her at that time. It is illegal for employees to do these type of search without authorization from (legal) authority to do so, the person likely got fire once this became public.

Sally only found out about the name change through Gary (police) when he got a hard copy of the returning residents form from when she reentered Aus

We don't know what name she went by in the UK, so far there is nothing linking her to the UK (hotels, rental cars etc…) for anyone to confirm what name she may have been using.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much KiwiNZ. I thought this might be the case regarding the passport but wasn't sure. This case is baffling beyond belief. So Marion really didn't want anyone to know she was back in Aust at that time did she? She snuck back in and drained her accounts and probably organised her possessions from storage to go to wherever it was they were going to next. It definitely sounds to me like it was Marion who came back and visited the bank in Byron. But all these discrepancies between bank and police (did they have contact with Marion or not) and bank tellers reaction to Marion's photo from Sally makes me think Marion was back then and they know something but can't tell. I have read of quite a few theories but not sure myself which one to believe. There was a man involved but whether or not he was coercing her into leaving or he was helping her to leave and start afresh somewhere I'm not sure. I have it in my mind that she is either living in a cult somewhere and off the grid, or living on her own somewhere off the grid (could very likely still be here in Australia somewhere or in another country having left with a fake passport) or is deceased. Has anyone else wondered if she had had some sort of surgery overseas? Police need to check hospital records from over there also.

she applied for the new passport "florabella" before she left Aus, any previous passports automatically are made void, so you can not travel on any other passport other than your current one.

Sallys friend worked in immigration or somewhere with access to the database for immigration. At the time they confirmed the re-entry date of Marion into Aus, however its not clear why at the time the name change was not mentioned to Sally, all names ( pre deed poll names, maiden names etc...) will be linked to your passport as it would have come up on a search. But it doesn't look like that piece of information was past on to her at that time. It is illegal for employees to do these type of search without authorization from (legal) authority to do so, the person likely got fire once this became public.

Sally only found out about the name change through Gary (police) when he got a hard copy of the returning residents form from when she reentered Aus

We don't know what name she went by in the UK, so far there is nothing linking her to the UK (hotels, rental cars etc…) for anyone to confirm what name she may have been using.

Hope that helps.

Thanks so much KiwiNZ. I thought this might be the case regarding the passport but wasn't sure. This case is baffling beyond belief. So Marion really didn't want anyone to know she was back in Aust at that time did she? She snuck back in and drained her accounts and probably organised her possessions from storage to go to wherever it was they were going to next. It definitely sounds to me like it was Marion who came back and visited the bank in Byron. But all these discrepancies between bank and police (did they have contact with Marion or not) and bank tellers reaction to Marion's photo from Sally makes me think Marion was back then and they know something but can't tell. I have read of quite a few theories but not sure myself which one to believe. There was a man involved but whether or not he was coercing her into leaving or he was helping her to leave and start afresh somewhere I'm not sure. I have it in my mind that she is either living in a cult somewhere and off the grid, or living on her own somewhere off the grid (could very likely still be here in Australia somewhere or in another country having left with a fake passport) or is deceased. Has anyone else wondered if she had had some sort of surgery overseas? Police need to check hospital records from over there also.

My theory changes daily lol, to me it is equally plausible that she left of her own accorded as it is that she was scammed by a man.

I believe it was her on the flight back to Aus because of the handwriting on the arrival card and the fact the police did contact the bank, the bank does not take those types of calls in regards to fraudulent use of a bank account lightly, they would have been thorough in their own investigation, it wasn't a small amount of money and the bank is liable to the account holder, the bank would have had to replace that money if Marion turned up and it wasn't her whom at removed it. So I do believe it was her.

It was a shame Sally went the bank route when her concerns were raised, I would probably have spent my time tracking down the travel agent and the storage people as they are not so legally bound with giving out information, but I have never been in Sallys position so whom am I too judge or give advise.

We have been through so many theory's have a look at the current one "Goran Markovic" and see what he did to an Australian lady, you will find it online at realscams.com her story could be exactly what happened to Marion.

My theory changes daily lol, to me it is equally plausible that she left of her own accorded as it is that she was scammed by a man.

I believe it was her on the flight back to Aus because of the handwriting on the arrival card and the fact the police did contact the bank, the bank does not take those types of calls in regards to fraudulent use of a bank account lightly, they would have been thorough in their own investigation, it wasn't a small amount of money and the bank is liable to the account holder, the bank would have had to replace that money if Marion turned up and it wasn't her whom at removed it. So I do believe it was her.

It was a shame Sally went the bank route when her concerns were raised, I would probably have spent my time tracking down the travel agent and the storage people as they are not so legally bound with giving out information, but I have never been in Sallys position so whom am I too judge or give advise.

We have been through so many theory's have a look at the current one "Goran Markovic" and see what he did to an Australian lady, you will find it online at realscams.com her story could be exactly what happened to Marion.

Yeah I’m surprised too that Sally didn’t get ahold of Marion’s telephone bills before she left - imagine the information that could be on those bills about who Marion was speaking to before she left. I find it unbelievable Sally wouldn’t have tried to get the bills considering all the efforts she went to at the bank etc.
Maybe she did try.....

Yeah I’m surprised too that Sally didn’t get ahold of Marion’s telephone bills before she left - imagine the information that could be on those bills about who Marion was speaking to before she left. I find it unbelievable Sally wouldn’t have tried to get the bills considering all the efforts she went to at the bank etc.
Maybe she did try.....

I would have called the telephone company and pretended I was my mother and requested a copy. But I guess at the time Sally didn't realize the extent of the situation, she didn't know her mother had changed her name and likely didn't have the thoughts someone else could be involved, but I think I personally would have retrieved phone records. I most definitely would have gone to every travel agent in the area and storage places

I would have called the telephone company and pretended I was my mother and requested a copy. But I guess at the time Sally didn't realize the extent of the situation, she didn't know her mother had changed her name and likely didn't have the thoughts someone else could be involved, but I think I personally would have retrieved phone records. I most definitely would have gone to every travel agent in the area and storage places

Yes absolutely. I think Sally had a fair idea of the extent of the situation though - didn’t the bank person or police tell her that her mother didn’t want to be found and was told about not putting money in her account for the sale of her car?

Goran Markovic and his partner Nicola Penny the long con

This is a link to a very long commentary on Kelly's story. I done a lt of reading on it and so far, find it increasingly interesting that Goran was not alone in conning Kelly, but did so with his partner Nicola Penny- from Hounslow, Middlesex in the UK (just over an hour's drive from Tunbridge Wells.) I know Goran was said to be living in the UK over 10 years ago..not 20..but still...

Also, when Goran Markovich told Kelly she was in danger, she was sent away to none other than Luxembourg - where Goran Markovich met up with her later. I know he was around a lot of places, just interesting this is where Kelly was sent to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousNelly61