Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't for a second believe this either.
Plus he made up the part about the man arriving with Marion. Like others said, I think he read or heard about the pilot.

I (personally) don't buy the affair in the 60s to be honest. They'd not long been married and I don't think Marion would have been likely to cheat. But, pure speculation, of course!

Another news story, note some variations in the spellings from the previous story.
Bombshell developments in ‘The Lady Vanishes’ case as mystery lover identified

Hello Everyone, I've been trying to watch the inquest recording and have so far only seen the missing persons Police officer.

BUT I've just read that and I am so ANGRY. All of this could have been discovered years ago. It just seems to tragic to me that has taken such a monumental effort on the part of Sally, the TV Co, and the internet hive mind working, helping and taking an interest to get anyone to look at this case and take it seriously.

I'm sure this information could have been found earlier.

I've many more posts to read to catch up, but felt compelled to say this.

Ag
Hello Everyone, I've been trying to watch the inquest recording and have so far only seen the missing persons Police officer.

BUT I've just read that and I am so ANGRY. All of this could have been discovered years ago. It just seems to tragic to me that has taken such a monumental effort on the part of Sally, the TV Co, and the internet hive mind working, helping and taking an interest to get anyone to look at this case and take it seriously.

Agreed! Sad it came to this !!

I honestly couldn’t agree more with this, it’s so wrong that it’s been 20 odd years and it’s taken Sally’s unrelenting efforts and a podcast and sleuths online worldwide to finally get to this point.
I haven’t watched the recording of the inquest but would be curious to know what brought this chap to their attention, was it the flight records or something else?

All this stuff coming to light is incredible, and heartbreaking, and speaks to what the majority of us have been pushing all along in one way or another.

I wonder if something maybe went wrong with the plan to go to England, like maybe he didn't expect her to return to Aus so soon after him. It seems in some of his other cons that he tampered with their documents etc. when they were out of the country, and I wonder if that's what he planned to do here and Marion grew suspicious and followed him back.

Purely speculation, and I don't know if I believe that's what happened, but I find it odd that:
a) he hasn't (as far as we are currently aware) resorted to murder (which is the likely scenario here) in other cases
b) a point that is almost bigger to me - he left $20,000 (or however much it was, I can't remember exactly) tied up in her English account, inaccessible. That's not the usual workings of a pro con.

I am going to guess that they traced him through the ad in the paper ( because why would you admit to that unless the police had proof), or you were totally incident and had no clue why they were asking (doubtful of this).

Maybe his photography or coin collecting business is linked to the P/O box somewhere.

2nd enquiry his travel movements in 1997 provide another link for police.

just a thought

It would be interesting to find out where the other lady mentioned today stayed whilst in England in 1999. I do hope this question is asked as it might pinpoint where Marion stayed back in 1997.
Yes, I hope they are finding out all they can from the two women who came forward. Sounds like he used the same ‘template’ for his scam: connect with older women who had some money behind them, then entice them over to Europe under the guise of starting a new business/life.

The police appear to be running a magnificent investigation this time round, absolutely brilliant especially considering the lapse of time. Hope they can all learn from this case, and who knows, may lead to solving some other cold cases in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95