Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Random thought. Upon arrival into UK airports, Immigration usually want to know circumstances of your visit, business or pleasure, length of intended stay etc, whether you have a visa if you intend to work or be a student.. your answer needs to be supported by evidence of funds (particularly if you have a one way ticket) or your return ticket. Obviously a ticket has to be in the same name as your passport (this has been checked by airlines in UK for over 40years to my knowledge). So if RB bought Marion's ticket, it would have to be in the Florabella name and therefore he was aware of her name change.
Or is there a legally acceptable document from the deed poll name change so that Marion could have travelled under the old name? Or did she buy her own ticket (not the established pattern)?

I personally don’t think Marion flew to or via Japan. I think when she met RB in the uk he either have her the paper or she took it from his bag to write the letter.

IMO I think Marion was so desperate to get married to RB that he could have suggested that they could get married at Narita. You can get married in one day there. But did RB register the marriage?

Does anyone remember when the tamborine property was sold, I've searched here but can't find it.

Trying to go to sleep and I thought I'd do some boring reading about Marie currie, she died in a sanatorium in passy. So then I Googled a little more and found a cemetery where some notable people are buried called passe.

The thing I found was a ref to old passe was a cemetery on the same spot that they built a new one.....

And now I'm back here and still not sleeping

I thought RB flew out in one name and flew back using another.
He could have. But as far as we know from the inquest, he only had one legal name and passport at the time – RLW. Remember that passports are different than fake IDs. It's a fact he had fake IDs and multiple aliases. It's only speculation he had other illegal passports. The inquest has never uttered those words. I think he would be locked up if police had clear evidence that he had multiple passports in different names, and flew out in one name and came back in on another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone remember when the tamborine property was sold, I've searched here but can't find it.

Trying to go to sleep and I thought I'd do some boring reading about Marie currie, she died in a sanatorium in passy. So then I Googled a little more and found a cemetery where some notable people are buried called passe.

The thing I found was a ref to old passe was a cemetery on the same spot that they built a new one.....

For those who missed my luggage theory from earlier...

Why does he make victims store luggage at the airport?

He can't get caught with women's jewellery, title deeds, IDs and cash in HIS bag amongst HIS clothing, as that is very suspicious and is akin to being caught red handed. It's evidence.

So he keeps all the stolen goods in a separate bag with women's clothing. If questioned, he comes up with an excuse – I mistook the bag for my own, sorry! They can't prove anything. They can't arrest him for anything.

I bet he's done this a thousand times to transport stolen goods and money internationally. Like the Flamme coins. IMO

Yes more plausible than what my theory was. Can I do a RB and change my mind;):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry for the long post… but after listening to all two weeks of the recent inquest sitting, I have to say that RB/FDH/FNR/etc seems to have a pattern of making up weird stories that seem to make no logical sense and seem to be shooting himself in the foot, but in his pathological liar/narcissistic head, the made up evidence is trying to counter a potential hole in his initial evidence to police or his wife’s evidence or his previous evidence on the stand (I.e. the belly dancing story, the cheap air tickets from the JAL Director , the wife’s condition/memory story, the horse kick to the head/memory story, the meeting his wife on the boat story where the dates don’t add up).

There’s always a reason for all these stories… but we can’t quite connect the motives of exactly why he’s lying in some of these stories just yet.

As such, I don’t actually believe that he met Marion in Switzerland in the 1960s - it’s all too much of a coincidence. While him telling police that they had an affair when she was married to JW seems to be an extraordinary thing to admit to and shooting himself in the foot (when police probably would never have found this out), I think he’s offered it up as a red herring for some reason unknown to us all at this point in time… but I believe it’s definitely a lie. Maybe it’s to help him paint Marion as the ‘insatiable’ lover he’s clearly presenting her as (what an utter prick), maybe it’s to make it seem like he’s cooperating with police by giving them some new info, or maybe it’s got something to do with his lie that Marion placed the ad rather than the other way around (that she answered his ad), but I think the Switzerland story will be found to be a lie. I think he and his wife (and probably son and daughter too, although they might not have made the connection with their own family) have been listening to the podcast this whole time, and RB concocted this lie when the podcast mentioned that Marion had travelled with JW when he was playing soccer, so when the police finally came knocking, he already had this red herring in his arsenal.

I also think that RB has been watching a lot of The Simpsons. He constantly uses the very same tactic as Grandpa Simpson in his story about the onion. He waffles off on tangents all the time, constantly trying to plant more red herrings and disrupt the prosecution’s flow:

If Marion had really placed an ad in the Courier Mail, surely this could be found easily, as RB gave a date of when this was? Do we know if anyone has found this yet?

I also think that he always used his home phone number in these ads and used his home phone number to answer these ads because DDH knew exactly what he was up to. He had already brainwashed her into thinking this con man behaviour was fine - after all, she benefitted financially from his affairs with these women too. Why did he leave ads and documents out in the open and not lock his filing cabinet? Because I think she knew exactly what he was getting up to. Yes, DDH is one of his victim’s too… but I also think she’s complicit in his fraudulent behaviour.

It also astounds me that he doesn’t think the court will find it strange that he can remember some things so clearly and definitively, like exact details of meeting up with Marion in 1997, but he can’t remember where he went in the UK with JO or what airline he flew with. With his narcissistic brain, I wonder if he realises just how much we’re all laughing at the evidence he’s giving and just how flimsy and utterly crazy it is! He probably truly believes he’s a criminal mastermind. I wonder what on earth his kids think about all this!

I also wondered about his motivation when he was asked about IK and I am sure he said "I heard she died in a car crash". Sleuths here have found a death certificate related to heart issues, so it just struck me as odd he should offer that information relating to IK and that it may have some other motivation or relevance?

I’ve flown that JAL route before in the late 90s, early 2000s. They used to put you up overnight in a hotel and feed you dinner for free because the layover time was so long. At some point JAL stopped doing it. I suspect he used to wine and dine them overnight for free as a way to impress them (I’m sure he didn’t tell them it was free). When JAL stopped offering it, he stopped flying with them.

I flew JAL return in 2005 from Sydney via Narita to Helsinki and then to Amsterdam. I enjoyed the free dinner. a lovely room with breakfast in the morning before a departure later for Europe. On my return, you were given a choice of other locations south for a few days. I think I chose Kobe as I know I went there but it could have been somewhere else close by.

IMO I think Marion was so desperate to get married to RB that he could have suggested that they could get married at Narita. You can get married in one day there. But did RB register the marriage?
But his legal name at that point was RLW so passport and ticket in that name so that couldn't have worked unless he told MB she had changed her name to a fake ID of his.

Interesting, that led me to Google too, there is Passy/old Passy in Paris, which features the Maison de Balzac.
upload_2022-2-19_20-9-7.png
The Rough Guide to Paris

What do you think--was he channelling Balzac?

Good question!
Lol, it was answered already :)

Marion's regular branch was Colonial State Bank in Ashmore which is southern QLD.
$80k was withdrawn 15 Oct 1997. It was near where she lived and where she had her mortgage.

Commonwealth Bank of Aus in Byron Bay is in another state, in northern NSW, 60-90 mins drive from Ashmore. During Aug-Sept 1997, $5k withdrawn daily for 3.5 weeks (and 3 days in middle at Burleigh Heads CBA branch), totalling between $85k to $120k.

Interesting. I have always assumed that Marion changed her name at his bequest. I had never thought she would have thought of doing that on her own without telling him before he left Australia. But you could be right in saying that because he would have made sure she changed the rest of her documents as well so the transfer of funds overseas would then have been possible.
However, I would thought that Marion would have kept her old passport and deed poll application details so she could prove she was that same person.

Also had RB built up the fantasy of Marion being Mrs Remakel so much in her mind that she decided to change her name before she left Australia so that when they arrived to book into a hotel, she would be treated as if she was the wife rather than the lover? I remember when I was in my 20s travelling with a guy in Greece that they were really shocked when I had a different surname to my travel companion. I used to wear a ring so that people would think we were married.

But otherwise, I assumed that RB would have been the one to motivate Marion to change her name
so she would not be easily traced.
I agree that RB would have suggested the name change but not the Remakel surname. IMO that was a romantic gesture on her part that forced a change of plans.

Why is everyone so cynical?
Often if I go into a small hotel an insatiable woman walks up to me in the foyer and tells me she is lonely and takes me straight to he room. Gee I don't even have to buy her a drink or meal first.
Whenever I go to Sydney town hall a drug crazed exhibitionist will often take me home and she forces me to take naked photos of her. Fortunately the religious cult she is a member of know about this (I don't know how) and turn up to take away the camera.
But be warned the worst of all are 51 year old belly dancers you meet in RSL car parks. They belly dance naked and bewitch you and make you take them overseas with all your money.
Luckily there are women who place lovely hearts adds that don't mind you are married with kids, on a disability pension, have no money or car. Some times these women turn out to be an insatiable woman you met in a hotel 50 years ago. They don't even ask why you have a different name.
What all the fuss about.

If DDH really didn't know about most of this, can you imagine the convo they're having if she stayed at home and watched the inquest?
"So, quick question...is a single thing you told me about your entire life over the last fifty years true? No? Cool, cool, cool. Can you pass the remote?"

I agree. But the story she told about meeting him on the Chusan in 1970 was a definite lie according to my timeline. So from then on, I didn't trust she was telling the truth all the time.

He could have. But as far as we know from the inquest, he only had one legal name and passport at the time – RLW. Remember that passports are different than fake IDs. It's a fact he had fake IDs and multiple aliases. It's only speculation he had other illegal passports. The inquest has never uttered those words. I think he would be locked up if police had clear evidence that he had multiple passports in different names, and flew out in one name and came back in on another.

Which is why my theory is he has another passport - he doesnt fly over with Marion nor does he come back with her so is this why??....he cant risk his passenger finding out he is traveling under another name...many times throughout the long haul you are addressed by the name on your passenger card or passport.

No one in Australia had computers in their homes in the 80's, in fact I can't think of a single friend or family member that had a computer in their home in the 90's up until 1997 when I left Australia.. When I returned to Australia in 2002 computers were more prevalent. If DdH had a computer in the home in 1997 I'll eat my hat.
I had a PC at home in 1991, but I was definitely an early adopter and was the only person I knew with a home PC. I was also one of only 4 people in a large government department with a PC and an email address in the early 90s (as part of a trial program). On a related note, Internet cafes started in Oz around the mid 90s. Maybe there were Internet cafes in that area due to it being popular with backpackers?

Marion had previously changed her name, prior to a marriage. It was to Barter I think.

Who was it that she said that changing your name was easy, you just do it by deed poll.

So it's not something she didn't know about and it was something she had done prior to marriage before.

I can't explain why this time it wouldn't have been just Marion Remakel. Those names could have been suggested to her.

If not and it was all her, then it left a trail of breadcrumbs which came back much later to haunt RB.

But his legal name at that point was RLW so passport and ticket in that name so that couldn't have worked unless he told MB she had changed her name to a fake ID of his.
Yes, but official documents say RLW did not travel with Marion.
We know nothing about their travel outside of Aus.
For all we know, in Japan, (or wherever he met Marion) he switched passports to Fernand Remakel.
Also consider that JO saw his multiple aliases didn't match his passport but he explained it away.

Out
17 June 1997
Richard Lloyd Westbury departs Aus to Japan
Passenger card says he intends to spend 30 days in Belgium

22 June 1997
Florabella Natalia Marion Remakel departs Aus on Korean Airlines flight to South Korea
Passenger cards says she is departing permanently for Luxembourg, occupation home duties

In
31 July 1997
Richard Lloyd Westbury arrives in Aus

2 August 1997
Florabella Natalia Marion Remakel arrives in Aus on a Cathy Pacific flight from Hong Kong
Passenger cards says residence is Luxembourg, occupation home duties and in Aus as a visitor for a 8 days to see family, staying at Novotel in Brisbane

Why is everyone so cynical?
Often if I go into a small hotel an insatiable woman walks up to me in the foyer and tells me she is lonely and takes me straight to he room. Gee I don't even have to buy her a drink or meal first.
Whenever I go to Sydney town hall a drug crazed exhibitionist will often take me home and she forces me to take naked photos of her. Fortunately the religious cult she is a member of know about this (I don't know how) and turn up to take away the camera.
But be warned the worst of all are 51 year old belly dancers you meet in RSL car parks. They belly dance naked and bewitch you and make you take them overseas with all your money.
Luckily there are women who place lovely hearts adds that don't mind you are married with kids, on a disability pension, have no money or car. Some times these women turn out to be an insatiable woman you met in a hotel 50 years ago. They don't even ask why you have a different name.
What all the fuss about.
:D:D:D:D:D:D hahahahhaahhaa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members