Australia Australia - Marion Barter, 51, missing after trip to UK, June 1997 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all related to what you’re all currently discussing, but with regards to the phone call that was made to crimestoppers in 2002, police know the address and the landline number that was used to make the call. Police visited the address and there was an elderly couple there. Has that address ever been released to the public?

I just read an old post on the FB page and I can’t recall now whether or not that address has ever been released? I know that Gary Sheehan looked into it all years later, but I’m curious now about that address.
I’ll copy and paste the FB post below -

This occurred to me yesterday!
Mum went missing in 1997 - last known location Grafton Northern NSW
The first magazine article I did was in 2004
Mum was only added to the NSW missing persons register in 2007 (not nationally)
I started the Facebook page - Missing Person Marion Barter in 2013

SO! How did the person who called Crime Stoppers in 2002 who said “a woman by the name Marion who went missing from Northern NSW was buried in bush land in Armidale” know she was missing?

If the case wasn’t publicized till 2004 how the hell did he know that a Marion was missing and last known to be at Grafton Northern NSW????????????????????????????
The said location in Armidale that the male gave to Crime Stoppers 100% needs to fully searched including SES and volunteers happy to help!
To think Det. Gary Sheehan found it on her file years later in 2010 and no one had previously acted on it! On my stars..... no words

Do we have the exact date/place for IK's death? If so it may be possible to find newspaper articles if it was in an accident (caused by heart failure) reported at the time.
You can search for newspapers on Trove, same place the Remakel Le Courrier ad was found.

As per previous timeline that another sleuth posted:

13 July 1978
IK died, St Kilda, Victoria of Mycardial ischaemia (heart).
At inquest, RB claims IK died in a car accident.

I haven't seen this document and don't know where it came from. Another sleuth said something about IK's thorax. I too would love some clarification:)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can search for newspapers on Trove, same place the Remakel Le Courrier ad was found.

13 July 1978
IK died, St Kilda, Victoria of Mycardial ischaemia (heart), The Coroner at Melbourne Mr H.W. Pascoe ordered burial of the body without inquest.

Perfect!

I looove Trove. I also have a subscription to newspapers.com, which is good for UK & US papers as well. I have my Shiraz in hand, ready for some sleuthing.

Not at all related to what you’re all currently discussing, but with regards to the phone call that was made to crimestoppers in 2002, police know the address and the landline number that was used to make the call. Police visited the address and there was an elderly couple there. Has that address ever been released to the public?

I just read an old post on the FB page and I can’t recall now whether or not that address has ever been released? I know that Gary Sheehan looked into it all years later, but I’m curious now about that address.

SO! How did the person who called Crime Stoppers in 2002 who said “a woman by the name Marion who went missing from Northern NSW was buried in bush land in Armidale” know she was missing?

If the case wasn’t publicized till 2004 how the hell did he know that a Marion was missing and last known to be at Grafton Northern NSW????????????????????????????
The said location in Armidale that the male gave to Crime Stoppers 100% needs to fully searched including SES and volunteers happy to help!
To think Det. Gary Sheehan found it on her file years later in 2010 and no one had previously acted on it! On my stars..... no words

I bet that was RB reporting that Marion was buried in bushland in Armidale.

13 July 1978
IK died, St Kilda, Victoria of Mycardial ischaemia (heart).

I haven't seen this document and don't know where it came from. Another sleuth said something about IK's thorax. I too would love some clarification:)
RE Thorax: it wasn’t me who mentioned it before but I saw reference to scoliosis in the thorax region on the X-ray report for IK’s application for migration (ref NAA p14 & 17). The report is written in French, but notes this “slight” scoliosis and also notably no enlargement or problem with the heart (I know the myocardial cause of death was 10 years later but just thought I would note that).

At inquest, RB said he had a son (Gaetan) with first wife (Janine Leroy) but that his wife had an affair so his daughter (that he can't remember the name of) isn't his.

He told a similar story about Ilona, where she ran off with a man to Melbourne (implying the Aus baby wasn't his).

I don't know... but this theory that IK was already pregnant with MJR's child, before she married WW and moved to Aus sounds like a story that would benefit no-one but RB! Heeheehe.

Do you think it’s possible that she wasn’t sure who the father was, and had babies blood tested when born and realised WW wasn’t the father, or MJR got cold feet back in Belgium when IK realised she was pregnant, and WW saw a chance to get residency in Australia by helping her out. I may be missing something in that theory no doubt

Hmmm, I vaguely remember this exact question from a couple of years back. I don't fully remember the details but I know that Sally came out and said there was some kind of error with the dates that were reported. And in fact, there would have been time for the caller to have seen reports of Marion missing. I'm sorry I can't remember the correct dates.

Also from memory there were varied reports about the search. They went something along the lines of, at first it wasn't followed up at all, but then GS did go and search! Some complain that it was barely done, just a few hours with one dog (not even a cadaver dog) in the rain. And GS of course said it was a very thorough search over several says but not a single thing was found, and the people that lived/owned the property had no link whatsoever to the call.

Sally definitely corrected this theory and said the caller could've definitely seen the articles about Marion. I think it was the tip date that was wrong - it might've been 2008 or 2012. But it also could've been that Sally was speaking to magazines earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Two possibilities IMO: 1. The call was made by a local who heard of Sally's search in Byron and had genuine info 2. An intentional 'red herring' call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdw1990