Found Alive Australia - Mark, 51, & Jacoba Tromp, 53, Jenolan Caves, NSW, 30 Aug 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Subscribing.

I'm wondering if Mark maybe had a psychotic break, under stress and the rest of the family got caught up in it all. Interesting that one of kids said that Jacoba (mum) has anxiety but as bad as it was on the 'trip'. I suffer from anxiety and I know how crippling it can be under duress, it may make me follow along without thinking what was happening because the anxiety can be consuming. (just thinking out loud)

Must remember to check back here when there's hopefully some more information. Everything is just a bit weird at the moment.

1472715106430.jpg
Mitchell and Ella Tromp after speaking to the media about their missing father.

WHAT WE KNOW
* Mark and Jacoba Tromp and their three adult children Mitchell, Ella and Riana leave their Silvan home on Monday, August 29
* The family left in Ella’s grey Peugeot and headed to NSW
* On Tuesday morning, Mitchell leaves the group near Bathurst and makes his way to Sydney and then catches a train to Melbourne
* Ella, Riana and parents make it to Jenolan Caves, about 150km west of Sydney
* At the caves, on Tuesday, the daughters leave their parents and make their way to Goulburn
* Ella and Riana split up at a Goulburn service station because they want to get home different ways
* Riana found under mental stress on the side of a road near Goulburn and stopped by police in her attempts to go home.
* Riana taken to hospital, where she remains
* NSW Police informs Victoria Police about the family
* Ella acquires a car, drives home and arrives at the family’s Silvan farm on Tuesday night while Victoria Police are there
* Mitchell arrives in Melbourne on Wednesday morning. At one point on the trip Mitchell admitted to having his mobile phone, but he voluntarily threw it out the window at Warburton.
* Ella’s Peugeot found in Victoria, in Wangaratta, on Wednesday night
* A man, believed to be Mark, seen running from the car.
* On Thursday, Jacoba Tromp is taken to Yass hospital by a passer-by who sees her in the NSW township
* Extensive searches of Wangaratta fail to find Mark Tromp
WHAT WE DON’T KNOW
* Where Mark Tromp is
* How Mark and his wife became separated
* What the parents’ movements were after daughters left them
* Why the family was “emotionally traumatised”
* Whether it was Mark seen running from Ella’s car in Wangaratta
* Why the family left their home unlocked, leaving without passports, credit cards and most of their phones
* Why Mitchell’s phone was tossed out a window.

From:http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...k=7496581e46a05ccb21f796e78ad43f67-1472733908

Just thinking out loud.... as reported, they left home with a lot of cash money - maybe Ella acquired a car by buying a $500 bomb just to get home in?

I'm not so sure it was a suicide mission as I earlier suggested.. it really does seem that what the kids are saying matches up with a witness who claims that Mark Tromp was 'stalking' them as they played Pokemon Go driving around at night:http://www.theage.com.au/national/b...-trip-cloaked-in-mystery-20160901-gr6ujf.html

Either Mark was going to carjack them to ditch the silver station wagon, OR he has suffered a total psychotic break with paranoia and delusions and believed the people playing pokemon go were somehow chasing him, even though he was the one following them.Think about it. When playing pokemon go people drive and randomly stop and use their phones. Heck i've been out walking and been spooked by these people at night, so I think the second scenario makes more sense. If this is the first time Mark has gone psychotic (at least, first time in front of his kids as adults), then it probably explains the situation the best.

When someone in your family goes manic or psychotic it's a very difficult thing to deal with. I think his family played along with it, but only to a point. I've seen the same thing myself. No one wants to admit there is a problem at first. But eventually it goes so far that, like in this case, someone gives up, in this case the son went first. The daughters followed suit, and it would have been a very difficult, very emotional time, which would have caused tension.

I think Mark probably suggested a 'technology free holiday' as a guise to hide the fact he was going psychotic and believed something/someone was trying to get him, so the tech free holiday was the best excuse he could find to take his family away without being tracked. The fact his son 'voluntarily' threw his phone out the car aligns with the son going along with his fathers delusions. His wife would have felt a responsibility to go along with it, and may had even been convinced what Mark was thinking was real too, but eventually she gave up as well.

Not knowing what else to do, they went to the police to try and track down their dad. I think the two youngest kids handled it the best, but clearly it was too much for the mother and older sister. I can totally understand it if what I'm suggesting turns out to be the case. The way the son refers to it as 'something out of a movie' gives more credence to it being mental health related, as delusions and the behavior that follows it often are inspired by movies and books etc.

They really need to find Mark soon. If he stays in the bush too long his condition will deteriorate even further, without water it will make his condition even worse. They seem like a really nice bunch of kids, I hope they find their dad soon.

I think the thing with cases that involve mental illness is that, they're so hard to understand for the majority of people, because mental illness doesn't follow logic. It's totally illogical and counter to anything that any healthy person would ever encounter in their lives. It's only when you're exposed to it or even worse a victim of it, that you understand the seemingly incomprehensible.

If the kids seem like they're hiding something etc, it's probably just because they are trying to protect their dad.. mental illness has a horrible stigma attached to it.

I think it would have been quite squishy, five adults in one car for an interstate trip.

When was the last confirmed sighting of Mark by anyone outside the family?

Andyroo, that's pretty much my thinking too. The kids seem in shock still so who knows what paranoid stories they were told by dad and/or mum.

JLZ I think the last sighting was when a man was seen jumping out of the Peugeot in Wangaratta, not sure what day that was. Not confirmed but strongly suspected to have been him.

It seems to me that the parents have perceived there to be a threat and felt a great need to leave immediately. Whether this threat was real or imagined remains to be seen. I imagine it was chaotic and panic stations at ther house and they've managed to easily convince all 3 kids to come with them due to what they must have been saying to them and how they were acting. As the trip progressed each child began to see all was not right and have walked away. It will be interesting to learn more as if I had a parent in a mad state I can't imagine leaving them, unless I was in fear. The oldest daughter has either been caught up in the panic or has beoken down as a result of the whole situation thus why she is hospitalized. There seems to be pretty major mental health issues in the family, as strange as it all is, it's also really sad . I hope Mark is found and that this family can do what is necessary to heal and move forward.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure it was a suicide mission as I earlier suggested.. it really does seem that what the kids are saying matches up with a witness who claims that Mark Tromp was 'stalking' them as they played Pokemon Go driving around at night:http://www.theage.com.au/national/b...-trip-cloaked-in-mystery-20160901-gr6ujf.html

Either Mark was going to carjack them to ditch the silver station wagon, OR he has suffered a total psychotic break with paranoia and delusions and believed the people playing pokemon go were somehow chasing him, even though he was the one following them.Think about it. When playing pokemon go people drive and randomly stop and use their phones. Heck i've been out walking and been spooked by these people at night, so I think the second scenario makes more sense. If this is the first time Mark has gone psychotic (at least, first time in front of his kids as adults), then it probably explains the situation the best.

When someone in your family goes manic or psychotic it's a very difficult thing to deal with. I think his family played along with it, but only to a point. I've seen the same thing myself. No one wants to admit there is a problem at first. But eventually it goes so far that, like in this case, someone gives up, in this case the son went first. The daughters followed suit, and it would have been a very difficult, very emotional time, which would have caused tension.

I think Mark probably suggested a 'technology free holiday' as a guise to hide the fact he was going psychotic and believed something/someone was trying to get him, so the tech free holiday was the best excuse he could find to take his family away without being tracked. The fact his son 'voluntarily' threw his phone out the car aligns with the son going along with his fathers delusions. His wife would have felt a responsibility to go along with it, and may had even been convinced what Mark was thinking was real too, but eventually she gave up as well.

Not knowing what else to do, they went to the police to try and track down their dad. I think the two youngest kids handled it the best, but clearly it was too much for the mother and older sister. I can totally understand it if what I'm suggesting turns out to be the case. The way the son refers to it as 'something out of a movie' gives more credence to it being mental health related, as delusions and the behavior that follows it often are inspired by movies and books etc.

They really need to find Mark soon. If he stays in the bush too long his condition will deteriorate even further, without water it will make his condition even worse. They seem like a really nice bunch of kids, I hope they find their dad soon.

I think the thing with cases that involve mental illness is that, they're so hard to understand for the majority of people, because mental illness doesn't follow logic. It's totally illogical and counter to anything that any healthy person would ever encounter in their lives. It's only when you're exposed to it or even worse a victim of it, that you understand the seemingly incomprehensible.

If the kids seem like they're hiding something etc, it's probably just because they are trying to protect their dad.. mental illness has a horrible stigma attached to it.

Not really sure about what might have set it off and other 'details' like that, but I think this theory makes a lot of sense and is a good possibility. I think the dad had a mental breakdown that was a long time coming for whatever reason, and fled, and they all went with him to keep him safe but things were so far gone they couldn't, and to keep their own sanity they had to drop off, one by one, in various stages of mental distress themselves. I can't help but feel for all of these five, and I hope the dad will be found soon.

So now this is Mark's second night out alone in the woods? Current temps are (acc to Google) 8C/46F in Wangaratta at 1.40 am. Will get a bit colder still as the night progresses. As far as we know he has no food/water with him. How is he dressed?

There is not one part of this story that I believe to be true.

The whole family "flees' in the daughter's car, the one cell phone in their possession is tossed to the side of the road, they adult son separates from the group and leaves, the 2 adult daughters also separate but leave by different modes of transportation, mom gets herself to a hospital and the car is found, abandoned, after a man is seen running from it and into the woods. Everyone ended up in different places, panicked and anxious - except dad.

I would not be surprised to find that they murdered him.

I do think it was dad running from the car. It seems like the likeliest explanation. I think the family is suffering from a folie a deux type scenario where the parents' paranoia has caused the rest of the family to become paranoid. If dad is the only one having a breakdown, that doesn't explain why the kids split up, or why mom and a daughter were both hospitalized for behaving erratically.

One thing I'm curious about is whether the adult children had lives/careers/families of their own, or if they all lived together on the family farm.

The Today show had Mitchell and a police officer speak live on their 7.30am newsbreak. The officer stated that Mark is in a state of paranoid delusion with Mark believing that he must run, basically it seems he feels he must run for his life. Mitchell said his Dad feels that someone is after him. They looked for him overnight and continue to. Jacoba has been speaking to nursing staff, offering insight into what has transpired. From what is being said I do believe it is just mental health at play and the Dads breakdown has obviously had a varying effect on fellow family members. I really hope that he is found today.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

This is really weird.

Two of the three children live at the family berry farm and all three children work on the family farm. Whatever issues were building up before the trip, the adult children would have been in a position to see it. The article says The Tromps leave the family home and the way it is worded suggest they all left together, which makes sense as four of the five family members live together at the family home. Therefore surely some of the adult children would have noticed the credit cards and phones left around and keys in vehicle ignitions.

So then the son throws his mobile out the window as it is meant to be a technology free vacation. Phones have your contacts, photos, life etc... on them, unless he knew it was backed-up recently that is all gone. Personally I think it would take more than parents being paranoid to make someone who thought it was important to bring their phone with them despite the no-technology 'rule' to then throw it out of the car. It was thrown out of the car 32 km from their home, which isn't far in a rural area (assume 100 kmph speed) so in the space of approx 30 min they have convinced him to throw it away.

Then they all separate, two of the three women have some type of mental breakdown (one daughter is still in hospital). What caused the two sisters to separate, when one was clearly distressed. This is glossed over in all reports but to me this raises lots of questions, as many as the disappearance of the father.

I don't have any answers but I think there is more here than them all feeding off paranoia and mental illness, but I have no idea what.

"However Sergeant Mark Knight of Monbulk is baffled. He knows the family and say they have no diagnosed mental health problems, or drug issues. No-one in the family has accessed a doctor or psychologist recently, or been issued a prescription, he says. They do not belong to any churches, or sects and do not have debts."

http://www.theage.com.au/national/b...-trip-cloaked-in-mystery-20160901-gr6ujf.html

I do think it was dad running from the car. It seems like the likeliest explanation. I think the family is suffering from a folie a deux type scenario where the parents' paranoia has caused the rest of the family to become paranoid. If dad is the only one having a breakdown, that doesn't explain why the kids split up, or why mom and a daughter were both hospitalized for behaving erratically.

One thing I'm curious about is whether the adult children had lives/careers/families of their own, or if they all lived together on the family farm.

I could imagine having a mental breakdown of my own if my husband or dad was suffering such a devastating episode where he ran off into the wild all the while thinking someone is after him. I'd be out of my mind with fear and worry for him. I have a habit of freaking the heck out when something is going on with my kids, which could definitely be described as behaving erratically, and if I did that many miles away from home, I could see how one would be hospitalized for it. I mean, it's Australia, not the US - in the US they'd probably be thrown in jail because nobody would know what to do with them (I might be wrong, but that's the impression I get of the US and the way this country handles mental problems).

My biggest questionmark is how Ella 'somehow' found a car to drive home. She seems to be in a state of mind where she would be capable of telling how she got the car... so the vagueness there makes me think she probably stole it, which IMO points to an urgency on her part to get out of where she was asap... which adds to the mystery and makes me not want to hook 100% onto one theory or another yet.

All MOO.

Have been following this case since it happened earlier this week. At first I thought as someone else stated earlier that they may have been running from someone who wasn't a stand up citizen. Maybe they loaned money (for their finically issues). But now I just don't know! The kids haven't given much away. I am just confused! Hoping the dad is found adapt, safely and this family gets the help it needs.

So then the son throws his mobile out the window as it is meant to be a technology free vacation. Phones have your contacts, photos, life etc... on them, unless he knew it was backed-up recently that is all gone. Personally I think it would take more than parents being paranoid to make someone who thought it was important to bring their phone with them despite the no-technology 'rule' to then throw it out of the car. It was thrown out of the car 32 km from their home, which isn't far in a rural area (assume 100 kmph speed) so in the space of approx 30 min they have convinced him to throw it away.

rsbm

Reading your post it just occurred to me that maybe the dad was threatening to harm himself after he discovered the son had his phone. He may have been threatening to harm himself all along which is why all of them may have felt the urgency and need to get in the car and come along. With automatic cloud backups, there's really nothing on my phone that would be lost forever if I lost the phone, so maybe it was the same for the son, or maybe he just did not want to risk dad hurting himself regardless of what was on his phone.

They probably never thought they'd travel as far as they did. Maybe thought they could calm dad down sooner... IF you're going with the 'dad had a mental breakdown' scenario. Which does seem to mostly fit... but even though I read theories that make sense, I'm still not all the way convinced about any of them.

truth is stranger than fiction. I hate to think anything nefarious but our minds get going... Could all be staged to somehow get a reward or sympathy? the man who looked like dad could have been the son IMO... So many what ifs...

This is really weird.

Two of the three children live at the family berry farm and all three children work on the family farm. Whatever issues were building up before the trip, the adult children would have been in a position to see it. The article says The Tromps leave the family home and the way it is worded suggest they all left together, which makes sense as four of the five family members live together at the family home. Therefore surely some of the adult children would have noticed the credit cards and phones left around and keys in vehicle ignitions.

Then they all separate, two of the three women have some type of mental breakdown (one daughter is still in hospital). What caused the two sisters to separate, when one was clearly distressed. This is glossed over in all reports but to me this raises lots of questions, as many as the disappearance of the father.

I don't have any answers but I think there is more here than them all feeding off paranoia and mental illness, but I have no idea what.

"However Sergeant Mark Knight of Monbulk is baffled. He knows the family and say they have no diagnosed mental health problems, or drug issues. No-one in the family has accessed a doctor or psychologist recently, or been issued a prescription, he says. They do not belong to any churches, or sects and do not have debts."

http://www.theage.com.au/national/b...-trip-cloaked-in-mystery-20160901-gr6ujf.html

I agree with your post, Strangest for me I can't imagine a 25 year old throwing his phone away', even less likely if concerned about parents mental state.
These kids seem worldly, the 22 year old even has another business of her own.
I can't believe that among the three of them they couldn't come up with a better plan, than to simply split up and all go their seperate ways

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet Place
Back