GUILTY Australia - Morgan Huxley, 31, stabbed to death, Neutral Bay, NSW, 8 Sept 2013 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Re MediaWatch - cheers for the links.

And -- you know, as much as the Telegraph deserves a haul over the coals for simply existing.. er.. I mean, being tabloidy and awful, the police WERE feeding the sharks in this case. I wonder to what extent.. but it's pretty plain they were throwing out un-facts as chum for a while there. I hope, if this is the case, they apologise to the Huxley family for their input (though the Tele probably won't).

Re MediaWatch - cheers for the links.

And -- you know, as much as the Telegraph deserves a haul over the coals for simply existing.. er.. I mean, being tabloidy and awful, the police WERE feeding the sharks in this case. I wonder to what extent.. but it's pretty plain they were throwing out un-facts as chum for a while there. I hope, if this is the case, they apologise to the Huxley family for their input (though the Tele probably won't).

They won't .. his poor family, we have been fed a very two dimensional image of Morgan. It's a damn shame.

They won't .. his poor family, we have been fed a very two dimensional image of Morgan. It's a damn shame.

The Media Watch piece was a very sobering item.

And someone let that cameraman follow along closely during DJK's arrest, and enter the police parking garage.

Maybe there will be a suppression order put in place during DJK's next court appearance. I'm actually surprised there wasn't one put in place during his first appearance.

Well. He -did- date a lot. Facts don't bother me and I don't see reporting them as insulting, if they are facts but there's ways to go about it, if someone's been murdered.. Other papers reported the same info - but didn't make a three ring circus of it. And reported other things about him, too, for a more complete picture. I agree, some reports were really 2-D.

Yes SouthAussie .. I mean clearly the police rang the media so they knew to be there to film the arrest ..

And someone let that cameraman follow along closely during DJK's arrest, and enter the police parking garage.

That actually had me quite bewildered - I don't think I have ever seen a video quite like that - a suspect going all the way from home to the police station elevator? wtf.

never mind all the slippage from "police sources" and direct info as well.

Compare this to Jill Meagher... it's incredibly not the same, and I gotta wonder why.

Selfishly, I have been rather glad to get info snippets from it all, though. It's good to be able to discuss a case like this, for several reasons - including that it helps me remember Australia has cool people in it too.

(Oh okay, and NZ too....)

and parts of america

Well, creepy's one word for it.

Just thinking about this.. he's seen lurking in a lane with a view of where Morgan is drinking .. seen chasing Morgan down the street to the lights... we know he probably then murdered Morgan (blood evidence is a pretty great indication of that) and then he's seen heading toward home.. and THEN he comes the heck BACK to get a jolly good butcher's (no pun intended) at the chaos he's caused.

With every fact that turns up, I see this less as a crime of passion and more something far colder and more calculated. Who comes back to watch the street? Really?

He may have been doing that as well as possibly retracing his steps. Did he drop or leave something behind on that night? ...possibly it was the weapon he left nearby and had to try and retrieve it somehow while looking at what was happening in the area. The Police were searching the street all over that area.
Possibly he was also on CCTV outside the butchers watching the cops.

OK yes, we want to know WHY and what happened that night and are hungry for details, but we so do not need to know it before the trial if that will possibly effect a jury or make it more difficult to convict DJK. What matters is justice, and it is a terrible further injustice to Morgan to reduce his reputation to how many notches he had on his bedpost.

I didn't really pick up any "and so he deserved it" vibes, though, even from the Tele.

Maybe I'm a bit thick that way, but I didn't. I saw it as just incredibly tasteless... "lady killer" for srs.. I was :facepalm: over that one.

I kind of feel a bit hypocritical in slamming the Telegraph and other rags like it for all the speculation and focus on sex, when that's what 70% of this thread has been all about. I guess though -- it's one thing to discuss and conjecture and suppose things on a discussion forum, when we have those reports to bounce off, I think. But quite another to be the source and distribute the image of "man *advertiser censored* victim" across the entire nation as 'news headlines'.

That actually had me quite bewildered - I don't think I have ever seen a video quite like that - a suspect going all the way from home to the police station elevator? wtf.

never mind all the slippage from "police sources" and direct info as well.

Compare this to Jill Meagher... it's incredibly not the same, and I gotta wonder why.

Selfishly, I have been rather glad to get info snippets from it all, though. It's good to be able to discuss a case like this, for several reasons - including that it helps me remember Australia has cool people in it too.

(Oh okay, and NZ too....)

and parts of america

BBM

heh-heh-heh :)

I did live in Sydney for 20+ years and "I Still Call Australia Home"....sometimes :p

I didn't really pick up any "and so he deserved it" vibes, though, even from the Tele.

Maybe I'm a bit thick that way, but I didn't. I saw it as just incredibly tasteless... "lady killer" for srs.. I was :facepalm: over that one.

I kind of feel a bit hypocritical in slamming the Telegraph and other rags like it for all the speculation and focus on sex, when that's what 70% of this thread has been all about. I guess though -- it's one thing to discuss and conjecture and suppose things on a discussion forum, when we have those reports to bounce off, I think. But quite another to be the source and distribute the image of "man *advertiser censored* victim" across the entire nation as 'news headlines'.

As much as I LOATHE the Telegraph :facepalm: (and all things Murdoch) - and as much as there has been such outrageously contradictory reporting on the case - I too didn't pick up a "he deserved it" vibe. I felt that if anything, they were more lauding him as a 'great Aussie bloke' kind-of-thing. A bit of glorification.

But after watching Mediawatch I can see how deeply upsetting it must be for his family. He's been reduced to some cartoonish stud, instead of a person.

I also think it's outrageous how the Telegraph has just totally attacked DJK like they have - didn't realise they'd done big spreads portraying him as the 'loser nerd' - when he hasn't been proven guilty yet. Surely that will jeopardise his trial? So hard not to form a judgemental opinion of him, even if we don't want to (as I don't and as we've also discussed here before). Sure, he's probably guilty (I assume the Sydney police wouldn't just set someone up like in West Memphis) but we don't definitively know that yet. Imagine being a juror in this case!!! Most of Sydney would have read about him and think he's a crazed fantasist.

But saying all of that, you're right Ausgirl - we have been pleased to receive any titbits thrown out from the media - no matter who they are. :blushing: Double edged sword, this whole thing.

I just feel for Morgan's family.

OK yes, we want to know WHY and what happened that night and are hungry for details, but we so do not need to know it before the trial if that will possibly effect a jury or make it more difficult to convict DJK. What matters is justice, and it is a terrible further injustice to Morgan to reduce his reputation to how many notches he had on his bedpost.

Absolutely Mrs G!! If it was DJK, then we don't want him walking away because of crappy media coverage!

But what is the police's role in all of this?? As others were saying, when has a reported ever followed so closely at the arrest of someone - into the carpark and lift etc? The whole thing seems dodgy - like overkill in terms of saying "Look, we got the killer".

And it was such eerily ominous footage too - the silence in that clip made it all so creepy. I don't understand what the police are doing by allowing that to happen??:twocents:

Who comes back to watch the street? Really?

As my education on murderers appears to be from movies/TV ;-) - don't the investigators always look in to the crowd as the murderers always return to the scene of the crime to check out the police etc? And we know DJK liked NCIS and Bones!

I have the feeling the footage you're talking about was uncut - what we see in the news is usually heavily edited with added voiceovers, etc.

I am really surprised that raw footage got released. And by the general police permissiveness with information being printed in the media in this case.

One factor might be that the police needed so much help from the community (CCTV etc) that it's been hard to keep a lid on it all. Another, as mentioned, is that the police themselves were likely tossing out info cookies for the sake of catching the perp.

But personally, I suspect there's also been a slow leak in the police dept. to somebody at the Telegraph and this is where those factlets attributed to "a source close to police" etc came from. And maybe no-one wants to admit it. ;)

I remember the stern messages all over the place from police regarding Jill Meagher's case...and how tight-lipped they usually are in homicide cases, and there's nothing like that for Morgan. It's been a free-for-all, for him. And that's what has me puzzled, for sure.

As my education on murderers appears to be from movies/TV ;-) - don't the investigators always look in to the crowd as the murderers always return to the scene of the crime to check out the police etc? And we know DJK liked NCIS and Bones!

I think you're right Sarah - although my education on murderers only comes from reading serial killer books!!

But I do recall reading that the killer often tries to insinuate themselves into the investigation or watch the investigation from a distance. There is the thrill of power at watching the outcome of their actions and people's reactions. Also the thrill of knowing that no one knows it was them, I think. It seems to have alot to do with feeling powerful.

I have the feeling the footage you're talking about was uncut - what we see in the news is usually heavily edited with added voiceovers, etc.
I am really surprised that raw footage got released. And by the general police permissiveness with information being printed in the media in this case.

One factor might be that the police needed so much help from the community (CCTV etc) that it's been hard to keep a lid on it all. Another, as mentioned, is that the police themselves were likely tossing out info cookies for the sake of catching the perp.

But personally, I suspect there's also been a slow leak in the police dept. to somebody at the Telegraph and this is where those factlets attributed to "a source close to police" etc came from. And maybe no-one wants to admit it. ;)

I remember the stern messages all over the place from police regarding Jill Meagher's case...and how tight-lipped they usually are in homicide cases, and there's nothing like that for Morgan. It's been a free-for-all, for him. And that's what has me puzzled, for sure.

You're right!! It seems obvious now that you say it, Ausgirl. That is unedited footage without voiceover. It was somehow so eerie, that silent walk. Thanks for clearing that bit up:seeya:

LOL - hey, some shows these days have actual ex-FBI profilers writing episodes and plot lines for them, even drawing on info from actual cases they've worked, so there's a lot of factual information tucked into those.. (is my excuse for being an unapologetic Criminal Minds junkie anyhow).

I really don't know what standard police practises are here, that way, much to my own shame. I would imagine they'd have paid attention to who was rubbernecking close to the scene. DJK was all the way across the street, afaik, so he might not have been so obvious. Or maybe he -was- noticed, and then noticed again later, and so on...

I think, just in my half-informed opinion, lol - that DJK or anyone else who's killed somebody in a frenzy of stabbing would likely not take the risk in hovering around the scene of a murder just a matter of hours later and with a heavy police presence, unless it gave them a serious thrill of some sort.

That, to me, says there was some sort of compulsion happening, that he got something satisfying out of viewing the results of his crime or needed to feel close to it. The safer thing to do would be to lay low and destroy all evidence ASAP, so self-preservation seems to have taken a back seat to whatever desire prompted that action...

Extremely loose speculation: maybe wanting to be famous or infamous was part of his motive? Wouldn't be the first.

I think you're right Sarah - although my education on murderers only comes from reading serial killer books!!

But I do recall reading that the killer often tries to insinuate themselves into the investigation or watch the investigation from a distance. There is the thrill of power at watching the outcome of their actions and people's reactions. Also the thrill of knowing that no one knows it was them, I think. It seems to have alot to do with feeling powerful.

^ what she said, lol. Sorry, I crossposted there, Isis.

I had always assumed Watson St was DJK’s way home, but since sarahlund suggested that the way home for him would be Ben Boyd Road, and also considering the footage of DJK in the laneway, the picture has altered (a little) for me.

I think at the time I was pointing out DJK's direction home was the opposite direction on Ben Boyd Rd and not past the Oaks (which is also on Ben Boyd Rd). However, from Watson St you can also go down Premier St which intersects with Ben Boyd Rd before the connecting street to Spruson.

DJK heading to Anderson Park - for me it was also for the water. He would know that was his closest access to water possibly needing to clean up himself and the murder weapon (or dispose of it!).

It's starting to feel like this isn't it - especially with DJK ringing the police after being interviewed to say they'd had consensual sex (one article said he boasted). Although the timing of this could have been the Tele article saying they had the killer's DNA at the crime scene - so DJK maybe giving a reason why his DNA would be there.

When looking at the DNA article I noticed the Tele's article saying it was a woman who killed MH which was just the opinion of an ex girlfriend. After Mediawatch I'm now interested in the timing of what was revealed by the police and what actually came from them and not just speculation. His family clearly pointed out what was reported were not the facts. When a friend's aunt was kidnapped and murdered, my friend knew a lot of detail about what actually happened from the police and it was a lot more extensive to what was being reported. The police had a lot of evidence on the perp before arresting them - they were very sure it was him. (My "perp" reference was for Isisrising and Ausgirl! Watched a lot of TV drama about the FBI this weekend!)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back