Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #4 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The family may not have seen the story, or paid attention to it. I didn't see it until I was reading this thread for the first time in months.
They knew who this guy was when they released that photo. That release was purely to put pressure on him - I'm sure he was under full surveillance and they wanted to see if they can find more incriminating evidence based on his behaviour once the details of the blue Patrol was release. MOO

The family may not have seen the story, or paid attention to it. I didn't see it until I was reading this thread for the first time in months.
They knew who this guy was when they released that photo. That release was purely to put pressure on him - I'm sure he was under full surveillance and they wanted to see if they can find more incriminating evidence based on his behaviour once the details of the blue Patrol was release. MOO
Are we saying GL could be a SK?
I'd be interested to review a list of suspicious disappearances / deaths in rural Victoria....

Another thing that I was thinking is that the police have done this process of elimination with vehicles in the valley that night.

Presumably they have been doing the same process of elimination with mobile phones that used the accessible towers in that general area that night also.
(By 'used' I mean ping data from the towers.)

I wonder if they are (or will be) able to match a vehicle and a mobile phone number.

Quite likely. If the photo/video has a time stamp, the mobile will be pinging off a tower or two give general location, often down to some dozen metres. Then you just go to another camera and see if the same mobile number/car are seen together. But even after the first association of mobile/vehicle an interrogation of phone numbers give names and then you check MV registry and see if any of those number are associated with a vehicle such as seen in the photos.
This is how ABC journalist Jill Meagher's killer was nabbed.
All this data - phone numbers, names, vehicle rego, are "structured", meaning they are organised in such a way they can be managed, with 100% accuracy. And once you have a standardised format, you can search it, as easily as you search google. The software has been around for a few years.
The additional think may have been the person driving had his GPS on his phone turned on. that broadcasts also to the towers and to places like google or apple, as well as other apps.

Opportunistic? Maybe! I still cant fathom somebody deliberately killing two elderly, defenseless people. Even if say killing Russell was an accident ie: he was knocked over and hit his head on a rock or something along those lines, then the perpetrator would then turn his attentions to Carol and kill her next. I'd have thought a decent person would have obviously freaked out and then sought medical assistance. The perpetrator could not possibly been of sound mind or perhaps just plain evil. And, surely he/they would realise that other campers were aware of who was in the area given that somebody drove past and was able to identify R & C camping and then the blue Patrol camped or just parked nearby. Truly a strange situation!
Being of that age, I agree! But people do weird things all the time. Very little has been released about the man arrested. On the information released so far, it is all very circumstantial: him having a vehicle like the one seen; repainting it; the missing trailer; being in the vicinity, and so on. There is the night time journey that he needs to explain and very likely the police have married cell phone data with CCTV.
But unless there is some clear forensic science type evidence - such as DNA - prosecution will be tough, assuming he does not confess. Or he was not driving the vehicle at the time.

Basically never travel alone up there, because if you get into trouble you’re stuffed. Break something, need to be towed up a hill, out of a bog, or only made it halfway through a river crossing, tipped over, or worse end up over the side, you’re gonna need a mate. It happens and you can’t always rely on someone to come along and find you. Beside all that it’s more fun in groups anyway.
You have just said what has been bothering me. Was the man arrested there alone? He has been described as an experienced bushman and when arrested he was alone. Police have not said if they think he was in the valley alone.

It's not just social media.

They received information from Australia’s Nissan Patrol community following an appeal for information last week, police said on Sunday.

Detectives are calling for more information from anyone who may recognise the vehicle, particularly if the car is known to tow a trailer.

The vehicle was captured on roadside cameras driving on The Great Alpine Road and matched a description of a car witnesses saw parked near their campsite and heard leaving the area about midnight.

New clues in mystery of missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay
You have mentioned another thing that that puzzled me. The call to the Nissan Community. I'm sure we will hear in time why. But...
The police searched a specific location and recovered a couple of shovels. They said at the time the location was not a guess but detective work. I suspect that the police had by the time of the search for the shovels (April this year?), a mobile number, a name and the vehicle. The location for the shovel search likely came from phone tower geolocation data.
In the photo of the 4WD impounded (now beige colour), it appears to have a larger or additional fuel tank (& the sticker on the read drivers side window is gone), but even so, he may have had to stop for fuel. And that generates a record - a fuel purchase and CCTV.
So, the shout-out to the Nissan community does not seem necessary. I suspect the police also knew that the vehicle had been resprayed. the VIN would reveal that. And a search of google street, shows a vehicle - Nissan 4WD - blue in 2019 and beige in 2021, at the man's address. Carol Clay, Russell Hill disappearance: Gregory Lynn’s neighbours, colleagues express shock

Is there any aerial view of the camp area, showing R & C’s camp area with the tent & car layout, and this ‘prime’ camp spot? To see how the person may have approached them, and from which direction.
I think the tent was the crime scene, hence trying to burn it to the ground. So wanting to see if a car could have run over the tent easily enough, or if the person approached on foot & attacked. If the Nissan had an attached annexe then that would have to have been packed away before driving the car, obviously. Are they a pain to pack up? Or fairly quick?
I saw a detailed map last year, but promptly lost the URL. Perhaps someone here has one?

Suspect is allegedly from Caroline Springs. Google mapped distance to Wonnangatta and there are 2 ways to go.

One way is 376km and the other way 377km. Flip a coin..
View attachment 323455
When Mr Hill and Ms Clay disappeared, I suspect the police would eventually solve it. This map was one reason: 1. there is a finite number of ways in to the area, and 2. you have to use a 4WD (well, you don't have to, but you run the risk of misadventure....), 3. mobile phone data retention, 4. cctv, 5. the need to buy fuel. Most folks i know with 4WD try to keep them reasonably full, especially if you are going off country, you mostly fill up just before you do and then when you come out. 6. witnesses, or rather a lot of people who saw something, heard something.

RSBM
And a Check Captain for the last 14yrs, aren’t they above a regular Captain?

I don't think so but from what I've read on Wiki, I think he may be the first officer aka the co-pilot. The first officer is second-in-command of the aircraft to the captain, who is the legal commander. In the event of incapacitation of the captain, the first officer assumes command of the aircraft. From those air crash investigation TV shows, he'd be the one who does all the checks while the captain is in control.

Just looking again, that’s 100% being loaded at Licola, on the south side of the bridge, just up the Tamboritha road. There’s no way he was checking on bodies, unless he took them home with him on the night, then took them later on up to Arbuckle to hide them. Seems unlikely.
It does seem unlikely that he disposed of the bodies near Licola. [If indeed he is the perpetrator of Mr Hill and ms Clay's disappearance - i.e. he had no lent his vehicle to someone else]
In these cases police arrest when they have enough information to justify it and sustain a charge, and so that the arrestee can be questioned (though the arrestee can remain silent). They can also move in to prevent the destruction of evidence, harm to others, intimidation of witnesses or the person harming themselves. The police have not yet announced why they chose this moment to arrest this man and the press reports saying that had to and there was some urgency, might suggest either the destruction of evidence or self-harm.

He is a TRE Captain. They report to the Base Captain who then reports to the Chief Pilot.

He is a level above a standard line Captain. Which comes with an extra $50k allowance.

If he joined on 2007 he is near the top of the Jetstar Pilot seniority list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NanaKate321