Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #4 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM

I've never heard of LE installing LDs in someone's house to check their mental state. They'd have to get a warrant and to do that they'd have to provide a judge with very good reasons for wanting them as LDs are an extreme invasion of privacy. If they had reason to believe he might murder his family, harm the public or commit suicide, they might be good reasons, but where would they get that information from?

LE could have made enquiries at Jetstar.

"Jetstar has been advised by Victoria Police that one of its employees is under investigation for a serious crime and will work to assist in this due process any way we can. As a matter of course, the employee has been removed from duty as a result of their arrest."

Jetstar confirms it is standing down a pilot as police question the man over missing campers
They definitely get warrants to plant listening devices. LE suspected Christopher Hill and Lukas Kamay for months of insider trading but they couldn't nail them because the 2 were using burner phones. The lucky break came from a LD inside one of their cars and the 2 had a full on conversation about their entire insider trading scheme, biggest in Aus history at the time.

Highly recommend the podcast The Sure Thing about this case

'It was just chaos': The day police cracked an $8 million scam

If you had asked me a month ago which missing people I'd most like to know what happened-William Tyrell and this case would have been my answer. It seems incredible that there is such activity in both, and I'm sure you all share my relief, and, for now suspenseful wondering. May there be some answers, and appropriate justice, soon.
The Beaumont children will always be my first go too for solving, but it never will be now, IMO.

Missing piece of evidence that could crack campers mystery

Police are searching for an item owned by the suspect GL — and it could be in the possession of an unsuspecting buyer.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

ETA: Corrected to say it was the trailer.

The article says that the police think the trailer could have been sold between March and July 2020. (Almost right away, it seems, after Russell and Carol disappeared.)

They say it is a silver coloured trailer.

Chief Commissioner Paton says it is the most complex investigation that he has ever been briefed on.

Comm Paton also says that a 'reasonable time' to detain him is dependent on a few things, according to the Crimes Act:
complexity of the matter
need to revisit a crime scene
rest or medical treatment
legal practitioners to speak with person being detained

The squad log their time and actions, and the court decides if it is a reasonable time.

His wife (who they name) is a Jetstar flight attendant.

Some of the questions I have: GL was already contacted by police in the past and said he never saw RH or CC when he was at Wonnangatta - did they contact him or had he offered this info to Police? He has previously changed the colour of his vehicle, not just the more recent change, so is this definitive proof of anything? He left Wonnangatta late in the night on the night Police think RH and CC disappeared - the reporting of timelines has been altered many times and is still unproven - no real evidence when they disappeared and the alleged reporting time of the hikers changed several times. Being caught on camera travelling in the area that particular night is really no proof he was the killer. Hunters often do travel around at night. Did police get tyre prints from the camp site they believe he stayed at? I would say probably not. They had vehicles and gazebos slapped all over the place there on both sides of the burnt camp - when they finally went in to investigate days after the initial report. Did Police collect any gun shells at the site or from carcasses? The colour of the 4wd originally reported to have been suspicious and near RH and CC's camp was white, not blue. Can he explain selling the trailer? Where is the evidence to charge him? Maybe there is none? Maybe he is the victim of circumstantial evidence? Would the current evidence even get through a committal hearing? ...Also....does this picture of GL in hospital look like he may have the start of cauliflower ears?
Puzzle piece that could crack missing campers mystery

I saw a movie decades ago where the wife was rammed up against the garage door "accidentally".
I know a real life case where a woman got out to open the roller door and her husband mistook the accelerator floored to the floor for the brake. He got away with it until the same accident happened to his second wife. He got a slap on the hand.

The trailer could have been repainted any colour before sold or disposed of. Maybe it was too difficult to face seeing/moving the bodies again after driving with them for hours and the trailer was rolled off a gorge or into a body of water with the bodies tied inside? EDIT: That is if there were ever any bodies in the trailer...

Last edited:
Two recent articles are of interest. Both deal with the length of time Mr Lynn has been in custody - some 70 hours now - and how there is no fixed upper limit. Lawyers are describing this long period of time as "unusual", though one former police officer said it was not. AFAIK, the police in Australia do not public publicly statistics on the length of time between detention/arrest and charge or release. However, some of the experts are saying that it reaches a point where either the police release or charge Mr Lynn or a write for habeas corpus is issued and this brings him to a court for the court to decide if his detention is lawful. As I posted before, based on my understanding (and I checked with a former copper from VIC), 72 hrs is an informal but generally observed limit. We are approaching that.... But we will need to see what happens.
Some folks wondered, including me, when Mr Lynn was first interviewed. It was last year, according to Commissioner Shane Patton speaking to radio station 3AW.
This suggests they had identified Mr Lynn and his vehicle some time ago.

Links
Police make renewed plea for whereabouts of trailer in missing campers case, as 55yo man remains in custody
Carol Clay, Russell Hill disappearance: Police ‘getting close’ to threshold for holding suspect Greg Lynn, legal experts say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot