Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #6 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen the pilots forum where people who worked with him discuss his temper and behaviour?
Jet Star vacancy [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums
I see what they're saying but they are entitled to their opinions and from what I am sensing reading the comments is that they are upset that he was a pilot and is suspected of doing this. And they are not hiding the fact that they are upset so I actually think that's a noble thing, good on them.

I find this case absolutely fascinating and am trying to catch up. Think I’ll start at the beginning & re-read the threads.
How was he able to burn the campsite without being seen….were there no other campers around that night?
I thought I read that the nearest campers were kilometers away. So it was a pretty desolate spot.

Interesting, makes me wonder if be really did sell it.
Two possibilities either destroyed it or sold it. How could the trailer be destroyed. It was metal for the most part. Could the trailer have been pushed into some body of water? Could it be at the bottom of water somewhere? If it was taken to a junkyard wouldn't that show up on some kind of registry with ID being used by the person taking it to the junyard for destruction? That would narrow that down the junkyard part, but it doesn't seem likely, though, its not discreet enough. Then maybe bottom of water somewhere. Melted down is possible but it would have to be somewhere remote where no one see it being melted down. MOO.

It could have been taken apart bit by bit, and spread all over the state.
Taken apart bit by bit can be done. But the thing with that would be parts would have to be souldered off by flame, sawed or chain sawed. If this was done at home wouldn't the killer's family know somehow? But also I wonder if the family would ask why is the trailer being taken apart. So that's why I was thinking perhaps somewhere remote. The trailer looks average sized as trailers go so I guess if it was going to be taken apart bit by bit it would be perhaps in a garage when family wasn't around? But then wouldn't the family ask where the trailer is and see it in the garage. Maybe they wouldn't have known the significance of the destruction so didn't care. Its possible it was taken apart bit by bit in a garage where others didn't realize the significance. But then if the trailer was used often in trips by the family then wouldn't they ask what happened with the trailer or wonder why it was being destroyed? These are the questions that come to my mind if it wasn't taken somewhere remote to be destroyed. It doesn't look like GL bought another similar type of trailer. I could be wrong.

Sorry I’m not up to speed on this thread.

Please could someone tell me if/when the remains found were positively identified as Russell & Carol, and how this was established. DNA, dental records??

I know it was more than likely & aware Jewellry & a dental appliance we’re found with the remains.

The thread title has changed, so I’ve obviously missed the official announcement.

TIA. Bethan

Sorry I’m not up to speed on this thread.

Please could someone tell me if/when the remains found were positively identified as Russell & Carol, and how this was established. DNA, dental records??

I know it was more than likely & aware Jewellry & a dental appliance we’re found with the remains.

The thread title has changed, so I’ve obviously missed the official announcement.

TIA. Bethan

No official announcement, at this point in time.
GL's family have asked for privacy, so it might be that the results are being kept quiet to help shield them - or the results are not ready yet.
GL is due in court in May. I imagine they will know before then, if they don't know already.

Dec 1, 2021
"They will be forensically examined, with DNA testing carried out to determine if they are those of the missing campers."

"Forensic investigator Greg Kelly, who has been following the case closely, said it could take weeks or even months for detectives to confirm the identities of the remains.
The remains would also be contaminated to some extent due to natural intervention, he said."

Police await DNA results of human remains found during search for missing campers

No official announcement, at this point in time.
GL's family have asked for privacy, so it might be that the results are being kept quiet to help shield them - or the results are not ready yet.
GL is due in court in May. I imagine they will know before then, if they don't know already.

Dec 1, 2021
"They will be forensically examined, with DNA testing carried out to determine if they are those of the missing campers."

"Forensic investigator Greg Kelly, who has been following the case closely, said it could take weeks or even months for detectives to confirm the identities of the remains.
The remains would also be contaminated to some extent due to natural intervention, he said."

Police await DNA results of human remains found during search for missing campers

Thank you @SouthAussie

Thank you for the corrections I appreciate it. I remember when I first heard of this mysterious and frightening case I looked up what time sunset was in that area at that time and I found that it was about to get dark not much later after finishing the Ham radio call. That's when I reaalized that this is a very serious situation and could be a lot worst than what other posters were suggesting at the time as some had said they may be lost or to that affect. Just some things about the state of their campsite made me question what really happened at this burnt out site. I feel so awful for them. Its very sad. Again thank you Motomike.
No problems at all. The sunset would have been a few minutes earlier in the valley than the time listed on any website due to the height of the hills on the western side of the valley, but it would be only the matter of a few minutes ( 5 or so) in my estimation. This is why I don't think he was flying the drone after the Ham radio net as there would not have been enough light for very long. I believe he was flying the drone around 4.30 as others have mentioned.
I think the campsite was burnt out to destroy any evidence as there are many items inside the area occupied by the tent that would normally not be in there based on my experience of camping with RH over the last 10 years or so.

I find this case absolutely fascinating and am trying to catch up. Think I’ll start at the beginning & re-read the threads.
How was he able to burn the campsite without being seen….were there no other campers around that night?
It is quite a large area with plenty of bush between the well used campsites, so a tent on fire could easily be seen by others (remote from the direct area) as just a large campfire. The smell of burning plastic etc could be put down to "hoons" burning plastic rubbish in the campfire. Unfortunately this sort of behavior is becoming the norm rather than the exception in the bush. It wont be too long before we all get locked out of these areas because of the idiots that don't understand how to treat the environment (leave no trace except your footprints).

No problems at all. The sunset would have been a few minutes earlier in the valley than the time listed on any website due to the height of the hills on the western side of the valley, but it would be only the matter of a few minutes ( 5 or so) in my estimation. This is why I don't think he was flying the drone after the Ham radio net as there would not have been enough light for very long. I believe he was flying the drone around 4.30 as others have mentioned.
I think the campsite was burnt out to destroy any evidence as there are many items inside the area occupied by the tent that would normally not be in there based on my experience of camping with RH over the last 10 years or so.
Yes at tleast the website was approximate so that gave me an indication. I absolutely agree that the fire was meant to destroy evidence, its very upsetting. I don't know RH nor CC but empathize with them.

IMO I think RH and CC's campsite was destroyed later at night maybe after a few hours. But then I also assume that the couple may have been killed not long after finishing the radio call. Its all so sad. If someone happened to pass by there would be no trace of the couple but the killer could still be there at the site. And the person wouldn't think anything of it because perhaps it is the killer's campsite . But not likely IMO that anyone would pass by after dark.

IMO I think RH and CC's campsite was destroyed later at night maybe after a few hours. But then I also assume that the couple may have been killed not long after finishing the radio call. Its all so sad. If someone happened to pass by there would be no trace of the couple but the killer could still be there at the site. And the person wouldn't think anything of it because perhaps it is the killer's campsite . But not likely IMO that anyone would pass by after dark.

I think that the first report of anyone seeing the burned campsite was at about 2pm the following day, when a hiker saw it.
As GL was apparently on the move that same night, the police have been able to narrow down the time to sometime prior to midnight.

"Police are now certain the couple died within 18 hours after Mr Hill's last message, as a passing hiker saw the burned-out campsite about 2pm the next day."
Twist in case of two missing campers as cops KNOW who was near campsite amid affair | Daily Mail Online

The vehicle was captured on roadside cameras driving on The Great Alpine Road and matched a description of a car witnesses saw parked near their campsite and heard leaving the area about midnight.
New clues in mystery of missing campers Russell Hill and Carol Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member