Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #6 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for your kind responses. I also suspect the drone had something to do with it.
If it had something to do with catching the guy hunting illegally, does anyone know what the punishment would be for that?
Seems it would have to have been something really, really bad to lead to murder. Yet again maybe GL is a just that, a murderer.

Thank you all for your kind responses. I also suspect the drone had something to do with it.
If it had something to do with catching the guy hunting illegally, does anyone know what the punishment would be for that?
Seems it would have to have been something really, really bad to lead to murder. Yet again maybe GL is a just that, a murderer.
He's currently charged with murder: perhaps a local can comment, but my research says those murder charges mean it was, to some degree, intentional.

Manslaughter charges seem to cover cases that were not premediatated, ie based on sudden rage.

Not many altercations between strangers (in a public place) lead to the killing of both members of a couple. Nor to the victims being transported, within a short time frame, to a very remote site, where they are completely incinerated.

I feel sure he must have previously contemplated: what's the best way to get away with murder?

Last edited:
Has anyone made a list of suspected or potentially related cases to GL?

Yes, there's at least 4 others "missing" in the direct vicinity of Carol and Russell. There are more thought a little further afield than that cluster that could be him, if he enjoyed camping trips to other areas.

Linda Grimstone was 42 when they were last seen at Powers Lookout, VIC on 4/09/2000
Ms Grimstone dropped her two children off at school and did not return to pick them up. She was last seen around 3.50pm that same day in the car park of the Powers Lookout 270km North East of Melbourne.
A 2011 inquest into her disappearance declared Ms Grimstone dead but could not determine the cause of death. The coroner did state that there was no evidence of foul play.

David Prideaux was 50 when they were last seen at Tomahawk Hut, Mirrimbah, Mount Buller, VIC on 5/06/2011
David Prideaux was hunting in the bush with his brother-in-law when he went missing. The pair had split up and David did not arrive at the designated meeting location. A thorough search of the area did not find any evidence of Mr Prideaux. In 2014, the Coroner declared Mr Prideaux deceased with the cause as unknown, though the Coroner acknowledged it was most likely by a serious accident or a major medical event.

Conrad Whitlock was 72 when they were last seen at Unnamed Corner, Mount Buller Road, Mount Buller, VIC on 29/07/2019
Mr Whitlock was driving up the road to Mount Buller very early on the morning of July 29 last year when he stopped his car on the side of the road at a spot called Unnamed Corner. Despite extensive searches he has not been seen since. His family do not know why he was driving in that area so early in the morning (he left home at 3am); his car was about 200km away from his home when it was found.
In 2021, the Coroner declared Mr Whitlock deceased, stating he had most likely become lost in the bush after stopping his car on the side of the road.

Niels Becker was 39 when they were last seen at Valejo Ganther Hut, Mount Howitt, VIC on 26/10/2019
Mr Becker left the house he shares with his parents on October 24 intending to walk the Macalister Springs area.
Niels started at Upper Jamieson Hut, south of Mount Buller, and then hiked to Vallejo Gantner Hut, his last known location. Here Niels sent a text message to his family saying he would head to Mount Stirling before looping back to his car.
The experienced hiker was due back at his vehicle on October 29 but failed to show and was reported missing.

ArcGIS Dashboards
This is a really amazing resource.

[QUOTE="
Linda Grimstone was 42 when they were last seen at Powers Lookout, VIC on 4/09/2000
[/QUOTE]
The Linda Grimstone case bears a similarity to the Conrad Whitlock one. LG dropped off her children at Croydon, got petrol at Wesburn, then for unknown reasons drove about 120km to Powers Lookout where she apparently vanished, leaving her car behind. It's hard to escape the similarity of how CW drove all the way from Carrum to Mt Buller where he too left his car and vanished. You have to wonder whether in both cases they were lured to a lonely spot where they would be easy prey.

Last edited:
On re-reading this, I am wondering just how the police went about doing that. Break and enter? Collusion with a family member? Any ideas?
A friend of mine is a vetran and said they can do it electonically so I am assuming they put in the location coordinates of the place and do it through the waves maybe radio waves or from the air. But they probably do this with some kind of warrant otherwise it would be a serious privacy breach. So is not like they are tapping into everyone's lives.

A friend of mine is a vetran and said they can do it electonically so I am assuming they put in the location coordinates of the place and do it through the waves maybe radio waves or from the air. But they probably do this with some kind of warrant otherwise it would be a serious privacy breach. So is not like they are tapping into everyone's lives.
Wow, really! I never knew that!

Unfortunately I don't think it was an argument it was an attack on poor unsuspecting Russell & Carol. The killer was taking advantage of the remoteness and the fact that it was getting dark because IIRC Russell had gotten off the hamm radio about 7:40PM or was it earlier. Regardless it was getting dark nad the killer thought that campers and people wouldn't be wondering around hiking now so they can get back to their camps. Also, other campers were kilometers away, according to LE. This was very bold IMO, I know the cattle rustler who spoke to reporters said that illegally killed deer carcasses were nearby RH/CC's campsite, but IMO that is a ruse to again to throw off LE. Or those deer carcasses could be from before RH/CC arrived. It was just an observation the cattle rustler made. Russel and Carol wouldn't start an argument with a stranger is the feeling I get from the couple's personalities. MOO.
Just a note.. Its called Ham radio not Hamm radio. No big deal but I have noticed that you put the double m in Ham radio (hamm radio) all the time. And the time reference you were out by 1 hour. The conversation ended at 6.40 pm local time. I was listening up to that time myself although I had signed out at about 6.30 pm local time. I continued to listen as I was interested in the discussion of the alternative routes out of the valley.

You would think that if GL's (alleged) murders happened because of his temper, everyone who has ever known him would be aware of him having a bad temper. So he either hid it pretty well, or that isn't the real reason for his (alleged) murders.
I agree. Though his wife would be the one who knows best, and she doesn't seem to be defending his innocence.

Pure speculation, but IMO the type of person who does this is not moved by emotions like anger or fear. IMO they do these outrageous things to other people because they're convinced of their own superiority, and have contempt for their victims.

JMO

Just a note.. Its called Ham radio not Hamm radio. No big deal but I have noticed that you put the double m in Ham radio (hamm radio) all the time. And the time reference you were out by 1 hour. The conversation ended at 6.40 pm local time. I was listening up to that time myself although I had signed out at about 6.30 pm local time. I continued to listen as I was interested in the discussion of the alternative routes out of the valley.
Thank you for the corrections I appreciate it. I remember when I first heard of this mysterious and frightening case I looked up what time sunset was in that area at that time and I found that it was about to get dark not much later after finishing the Ham radio call. That's when I reaalized that this is a very serious situation and could be a lot worst than what other posters were suggesting at the time as some had said they may be lost or to that affect. Just some things about the state of their campsite made me question what really happened at this burnt out site. I feel so awful for them. Its very sad. Again thank you Motomike.

Last edited:
You would think that if GL's (alleged) murders happened because of his temper, everyone who has ever known him would be aware of him having a bad temper. So he either hid it pretty well, or that isn't the real reason for his (alleged) murders.
Have you seen the pilots forum where people who worked with him discuss his temper and behaviour?
Jet Star vacancy [Archive] - PPRuNe Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member