Found Deceased Australia - Russell Hill, 74, & Carol Clay, 72, Wonnangatta Valley, 20 Mar 2020 #6 *charges*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering what he was talking to himself about that the police captured with their covert intercepts. I'd imagine that it'd be heavy carrying the deaths of two people on your conscience, perhaps he had imaginary conversations or such with 'them', shifting blame - "It's all your fault, why did you have to take my gun?" etc.

He could have given quite a bit away talking to himself...
Blame shifting results in victim blaming. This happens most often with a narcissist when you confront them on a lie or try to set boundaries. When the narcissist starts to feel like they are losing control and their image of superiority and grandiosity is at risk, they will blame shift.

The police forensic expert Mark Gellatly claimed that police informed him they believed GL was annoyed by RH’s drone and confronted the couple about it before returning to his campsite. He said crime scene investigators believe RH then grabbed a shotgun from GL’s vehicle, before a physical fight broke out between the two men and the gun discharged.
So GL possibly drove his vehicle into RH & CC's campsite. This must have happened either when it was dusk or dark and I wonder how RH could have seen the shotgun in GL's vehicle. Personally, I don't think that scenario works but I'm not a crime scene expert!

According to the police summary, he repainted his Nissan Patrol to a beige colour from navy in an attempt to avoid detection and also sold his trailer, which is yet to be located.

In November 2021, he was accused of cutting off a side-mounted awning on the vehicle, after detectives released images of his car as part of a public appeal for information about the disappearance of Mr Hill and Ms Clay.

By that stage, investigators had been secretly tapping Mr Lynn's calls and tracking his GPS data for close to a year, police documents say.

Mr Lynn, a former commercial airline pilot, experienced camper and licenced firearms owner, was said to be in possession of eight guns at the time of his arrest. They included semi-automatic pistols and rifles, revolvers, and shotguns.

In a statement tendered to the court, Victoria Police's forensic expert Mark Gellatly said more than 20 knives, two hatchets and a pick axe were also located at Mr Lynn's home.

9 November 2021
“We know Russell was a very peaceful and law-abiding man and he worked in the wilderness and some very tough jobs, so he wasn't someone who would necessarily take a backwards step either.

“So if there’s been some sort of argument, maybe it’s escalated from there.”

From what MotoMike said Russell also wasn't a foolish man and aware of the risk getting into a heated argument with a stranger in the middle of nowhere and said he can't see Russell doing that.

It didn't sound like he was the type of guy to grab a gun and start wrestling unless it was already a life or death situation so that can't see him doing it before Carol was shot unless there was serious reason.

GLs story isn't a bad one as far as CYA stories go but with what we've heard about Russell here it doesn't ring true.

Last edited:
So they’re wrestling over a gun, that goes off and just happens to get Carol in the head.

Already I don’t buy it.

I can’t see anyone let alone RH wrestling GL for his gun, unless that gun was aimed at RH or CC.

I’m no firearms expert but I think a gun accidentally discharging is almost impossible.

But for it to accidentally discharge and not hit RH or GL but get CC directly in the head? Nope.

And after CC was hit, what then?

They are still wrestling over the gun? If RH managed to get the gun then he didn’t shoot GL with it, so did GL see RH had the gun and then pulled out a knife from somewhere and commence stabbing RH who still didn’t use the gun?

Or GL did get the gun but decide nah might use my knife instead now?

It doesn’t make sense.

To me, the use of 2 different weapons indicates they were killed separately with a certain period of time between the two deaths.

Maybe RH and GL did get in an argument and GL stabbed him and this occurred when CC was elsewhere.

GL’s then gone to retrieve his gun to kill Carol.

GL checked into a hotel room still covered in the blood of elderly camper Russell Hill, a court has heard.

GL's blood was found on a white bathmat at a hotel in the Wonnangatta Valley.

DMAustralia can now reveal details on how police allege GL shot CC, stabbed RH and hacked and burnt their bodies after forensic court documents were released to the public.

Ghurka knife.jpg

Police found a cache of knives upon searching GL's home after executing a search warrant in November 2021. Weapons included 2 swords and 16 knives in sheaths, including throwing knives and daggers.

Forensic officer Mark Gellatly told the court blood had been found on a large Gurkha knife, a hunting knife, Damascus knife, dagger and on the inner surface of the sheath of a yellow-handled hatchet. Court documents allege his home had been loaded with guns, including semi-automatic pistols, Ruger revolvers, semi-automatic and lever action rifles and semi-automatic shotguns - one of which police allege was used to kill CC.

The court heard that police allege GL had tried to cover his bloody tracks, scrubbing the hotel room clean, but missed the bathmat in his haste. RH's DNA was found on the mat, none of CC's was located, documents state.

Link

We have to remember that he was an expert at stalking game in the bush.
The question is, was he also an expert at stalking humans in the bush, i.e. some of the other missing persons in the high country.

The police forensic expert Mark Gellatly claimed that police informed him they believed GL was annoyed by RH’s drone and confronted the couple about it before returning to his campsite. He said crime scene investigators believe RH then grabbed a shotgun from GL’s vehicle, before a physical fight broke out between the two men and the gun discharged.

Wow, okay, so crime scene investigators believe Russell Hill grabbed a shotgun from GL’s vehicle, this certainly changes things. I’m trying to figure out how they were able to determine these course of events. It doesn’t seem possible unless there was a witness, or, it’s a scenario put forth by GL, and the VICPOL forensic team can’t dispute it, it holds as they’ve got him for the brutal murder of RL, and disposing and interfering with the remains…etc.
JMO

Former Jetstar pilot Greg Lynn was suspected of going to a hotel room still allegedly covered in the blood of elderly camper Russell Hill, a court has heard.

Forensic experts deemed the blood of Hill, 74, was 'likely' found on a single sample from a white bathmat at a hotel in the Wonnangatta Valley, in Victoria's rugged alpine region.

Court documents alleged Lynn had arrived at the hotel after murdering and torching the elderly couple's campsite.

Traces of singed hair were later recovered by police from the scene and analysed.

Court documents stated 'a hotel in the Wonnangatta region claimed a room was left with numerous bloodstains, all were cleaned with the exception of possible remnants on a bathmat'.

While Mr Hill's DNA was 'likely' found on the mat, none of Ms Clay's was located, documents state.

The documents stated it was equally possible Mr Hill's blood was not on the mat.

'The DNA evidence is equally likely under both propositions,' the documents stated.

Lynn maintains he had acted in self-defence and told police it was Mr Hill who was the author of his own demise, the court heard.

Lynn had travelled into the rugged wilderness to hunt deer.

A deer hunting map contained in a plastic bag was later recovered from his home.

Last edited:
I can’t understand how crime scene investigators have concluded he reached into GLs car to grab gun.

Unless DNA found on passenger seat/ the door where he reached over? though it seems GLs scrubbed everything including motel to remove evidence so doubt he left Russell’s fingerprints on a gun.
Wow, okay, so crime scene investigators believe Russell Hill grabbed a shotgun from GL’s vehicle, this certainly changes things. I’m trying to figure out how they were able to determine these course of events. It doesn’t seem possible unless there was a witness, or, it’s a scenario put forth by GL, and the VICPOL forensic team can’t dispute it, it holds as they’ve got him for the brutal murder of RL, and disposing and interfering with the remains…etc.
JMO

JMO
I'm thinking more and more that GL had to have said something about this scenario that the police overheard, whether it was caught via a covert intercept or a jail house phone call...

Whether or not he was smart enough to know that he was being monitored and so deliberately slipped in false information about RH grabbing his gun first is anyone's guess...

So they’re wrestling over a gun, that goes off and just happens to get Carol in the head.

Already I don’t buy it.

I can’t see anyone let alone RH wrestling GL for his gun, unless that gun was aimed at RH or CC.

I’m no firearms expert but I think a gun accidentally discharging is almost impossible.

But for it to accidentally discharge and not hit RH or GL but get CC directly in the head? Nope.

And after CC was hit, what then?

They are still wrestling over the gun? If RH managed to get the gun then he didn’t shoot GL with it, so did GL see RH had the gun and then pulled out a knife from somewhere and commence stabbing RH who still didn’t use the gun?

Or GL did get the gun but decide nah might use my knife instead now?

It doesn’t make sense.

To me, the use of 2 different weapons indicates they were killed separately with a certain period of time between the two deaths.

Maybe RH and GL did get in an argument and GL stabbed him and this occurred when CC was elsewhere.

GL’s then gone to retrieve his gun to kill Carol.
‘To me, the use of 2 different weapons indicates they were killed separately with a certain period of time between the two deaths.’

I agree, good thinking.

As this is a committal hearing maybe, they’re indulging GL’s side of the story?
There’s enough to go to trial, Imo.

At a committal hearing, a magistrate will decide whether there is enough evidence to support a conviction for the offence/s charged.
At a committal hearing, a magistrate will decide whether there is enough evidence to support a conviction for the offence/s charged.

The prosecution will call witnesses, where leave has been granted at the committal mention, for cross-examination by the defence. Other evidence will be tendered to the court in written form.

The defence may also call witnesses to give evidence and at the end of all the evidence, the defence may make a submission to the court in relation to the strength of the evidence.

If the magistrate decides there is evidence of sufficient weight upon which a jury could convict, the accused will be committed for the hearing of the charges in the County Court or Supreme Court.

If the magistrate decides there is not sufficient evidence, the accused may be discharged.

I guess if the only non-forensic evidence that supports the scenario of an accidental discharge while struggling over a gun is GL's story (whether obtained via interview, listening devices or intercepts), they can't just cherry pick part of the story. They'd have to enter the entire scenario, as spelt out by GL, in to evidence

The DNA found on the bathmat seems incredible-how long between the murders and the bathmat retrieval I wonder?

Do I understand correctly that at the site, some of CC's bone, and some lead, was found on the second search?

It seems the police concluded something very bad had happened really early on. It is a real credit that they managed to successfully investigate this!

I take it that even though at least 2 news outlets said the case will continue next week, there was new evidence presented today.

Plus one outlet said that there will be a discussion on Friday on withholding some evidence, that the prosecution doesn't want to be made public until the trial.

Also the magistrate has complained about news outlets misrepresenting the evidence.

Former Jetstar pilot Greg Lynn was suspected of going to a hotel room still allegedly covered in the blood of elderly camper Russell Hill, a court has heard.

Forensic experts deemed the blood of Hill, 74, was 'likely' found on a single sample from a white bathmat at a hotel in the Wonnangatta Valley, in Victoria's rugged alpine region.

Court documents alleged Lynn had arrived at the hotel after murdering and torching the elderly couple's campsite.

Traces of singed hair were later recovered by police from the scene and analysed.

Court documents stated 'a hotel in the Wonnangatta region claimed a room was left with numerous bloodstains, all were cleaned with the exception of possible remnants on a bathmat'.

While Mr Hill's DNA was 'likely' found on the mat, none of Ms Clay's was located, documents state.

The documents stated it was equally possible Mr Hill's blood was not on the mat.

'The DNA evidence is equally likely under both propositions,' the documents stated.

Lynn maintains he had acted in self-defence and told police it was Mr Hill who was the author of his own demise, the court heard.

Lynn had travelled into the rugged wilderness to hunt deer.

A deer hunting map contained in a plastic bag was later recovered from his home.
I wonder when forensic experts were called in to examine the room GL stayed in at the hotel. What makes me a bit suss with this statement is that surely the hotel owners would have washed the white bathmat after each guest has stayed in that particular room. Also, surely they vaccum the room after each guest too (single singed hair was also found). Some things just aren't making sense to me at this stage.
Edit: Sorry Judge Judi ... somehow I've tagged your post which shouldn't have been as I did it earlier with an appropriate response. WS has been playing up a bit this afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader