Australia - Russell Hill & Carol Clay Murdered While Camping - Wonnangatta Valley, 2020 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
If what GL is saying did not occur; what is others theory on how GL killed them both and why?

My theory is that it was all about Lynn hunting close to the campsite. Lynn made a comment in his police statement about Russell "spouting some nonsense" about hunting near the campsite.

I think maybe Russell frightened deer away by flying the drone. Lynn shot the drone, Russell came at him in anger, he shot Russell, then he shot the only witness ... Carol. Three gunshots. Lynn said there were three gunshots in their "struggle". Some truths mixed in with the lies. In case someone heard three gunshots.

Lynn stuffed up when he shot Carol, because her blood and fatty tissue not only got onto Russell's vehicle, but it also got all over the the tent. So he had to burn everything and left a suspicious campsite. Negating the theory that Carol and Russell got themselves lost and died.

If what GL is saying did not occur; what is others theory on how GL killed them both and why?

One scenario: Lynn got annoyed with Hill's drone buzzing him. With shotgun in hand, Lynn comes and remonstrates with Hill. Hill tells him to bugger off because he's using a firearm dangerously close to the camp [fact: one of Hill's relatives was shot and killed when mistaken for a deer] and Hill says he intends to show the video to police.

Lynn says that isn't going to happen and tries to get hold of the drone. Hill resists, maybe even throws a punch, there's a scuffle and Hill is shot dead. Clay is a witness and screaming so Lynn shoots her, too.

Last edited:

A former Jetstar pilot accused of murdering two elderly campers in 2020 is due to take to the witness stand and give evidence in the double murder trial on Thursday.

Lynn’s lawyer, Dermot Dann KC, told the Victorian supreme court his client would be the defence’s only witness. The prosecution closed their case on Wednesday afternoon, confirming they would not call further witnesses.

Under cross examination by Dann, Florence agreed that parts of Lynn’s story he told detectives during his police interview were true, including that part of Clay’s head was missing after her death.

“That is a man being brutally honest with you,” Dann said.

But Florence said not everything Lynn had told police was true.

Last edited:
And no witnesses have been called to attest to his good character and high morals. No-one. Not a single family member, friend or workmate. No one at all to say that he could never have done such a thing.

One thing that stood out to me was his wife’s comments of the car and trailer looking like his from the 60 minutes program…. and then her taking a photo of him hand painting his car (with a roller!) a different colour. Surely she was suss at this point. A strategic move to take the photo knowing it would be evidence against him? The silence from those around him make me inclined to think they know he is more than capable of being responsible for these murders.

One scenario: Lynn got annoyed with Hill's drone buzzing him. With shotgun in hand, Lynn comes and remonstrates with Hill. Hill tells him to bugger off because he's using a firearm dangerously close to the camp [fact: one of Hill's relatives was shot and killed when mistaken for a deer] and Hill says he intends to show the video to police.

Lynn says that isn't going to happen and tries to get hold of the drone. Hill resists, maybe even throws a punch, there's a scuffle and Hill is shot dead. Clay is a witness and screaming so Lynn shoots her, too.
That fits with what I know of Russell

I think the solid reason is that there is no-one else to put on the stand. Without GL, Dann would be presenting no defence at all and going straight to closing arguments.

I don't think that is a way to try to win a trial. The jury needs to hear what the defence says happened, or didn't happen, or could have happened, via witness testimony.

In the trial I was a juror in, the defence virtually said nothing the whole time, presented no evidence nor witnesses and the accused was aquitted. It was really quite powerful and intriguing. They presented a very compelling closing argument.

I feel having GL take the stand in this case is probably a little less risky than it normally would be. Firstly, GL has the ability to think calmly before responding. But mainly, his story is probably 98% true....he just altered 2% of it which is to say he didn't kill them. He probably won't have trouble remembering that 2% that he's switched around.

I feel having GL take the stand in this case is probably a little less risky than it normally would be. Firstly, GL has the ability to think calmly before responding. But mainly, his story is probably 98% true....he just altered 2% of it which is to say he didn't kill them. He probably won't have trouble remembering that 2% that he's switched around.

I agree that Lynn will likely perform calmly in the stand, but I would reverse those percentages with just 2% of what he says is true. IMO he has been concocting his version of events from 1 second after he killed them both and can repeat it backwards in three different languages by now.

In the trial I was a juror in, the defence virtually said nothing the whole time, presented no evidence nor witnesses and the accused was aquitted. It was really quite powerful and intriguing. They presented a very compelling closing argument.

Exactly..I agree.

Skipping ahead I think Lynn will get 20 years for each murder and some dispensation for co-operating with Police once he was cornered.

Maybe non parole period of 20 years - he may still be able to access his superannuation when he is mid 70s and go on luxury cruises depending how much Dermot Dann costs.

I am sure Russell and Carol would love to have been luxury cruising in their mid 70s.

Of course Lynn ruined the chance of this happening didn’t he?

I won't be surprised if the prosecution don't have any questions for Lynn. Perhaps one, just for the record. They won't need to risk get tangled up and complicating things.

At this point the defence have layed all their cards on the table. They may have revealed a 'full house'.
The prosecution are playing extremely good poker and are probably holding a 'royal flush'.

Sorry for the poor analogy!

And, IMO, he was emboldened to do this because he tells himself, 'we're out in the wilderness, I can cover it up, this time I can be a territorial animal and no one will ever know. I can make them disappear without a trace'.

ie not an afterthought.

JMO

Does anyone know what these "exclusive clubs" that he'd been accepted into are?

Any with funny handshakes?

In the above video Toots linked he says :

" My career the rest of my life, my memberships"

" The clubs I'm involved with, they are not invitation only, but there are interviews to get in"

" An event like that, I would have been instantly banned"

The music played loudly so doors could be open so Russell Hill is left holding the gun that killed Carol Clay.That is where it begins...Any other story & how to account for his gun!

Off to court tomorrow to see him testify so should be interesting. I’m guessing he will be very calm, collected exercising his skills as a professional Pilot, knows how to handle himself with compliancy and under extreme pressure. Hmm bet he hasn’t experienced this in the Simulator !!
Look forward to hearing your first-hand thoughts. Hope you get a seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member