Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s Theo showing his ID and going into Cheeky Monkey’s.
Why are his pants dirty?
Where's the rest of this video?
There's a narrative to this still if shown in full context. Clearly there's information on who entered and left as this is a very good camera angle there's no other exit unless you can leave by thy back loading ramp?
Thanks for clarifying that it's Theo entering can you reference the clip please?

I’ve been looking at the extra info on the lighthouse podcast site. Theo walks to the end of Tennyson and then turns around and moves faster across the oval and all the way to cosy corner. He navigates along a particular bush track that’s dark and scrubby. His hat was found on or near that bush track (until now I always thought the cap was found near Cosy Corner). So he may have been aware of losing his cap in the scrub before he reached the beach. At Cosy Corner he messages family & a friend. He watches part of a Belgium show on YouTube, and that’s it.
NoCookies | The Australian

Is that a manageable run for Theo or for anyone? What is the distance? It seems a bit long? Where the pings are located do they have time so we can calculate speed? He hardly went through bush in a vehicle or bike? If you ran this distance would you relax quick enough to watch video and send messages? Are we sure Theo didn't have his second phone? I know he has a new one. Where is the second one? Thanks very much for posting the above clips

Have you heard podcast 1?
Antoines stammers in places and his accounts conflicts to a degree with another backpacker who Incidently doesn't want to give his name but was in CM's that night. Antoine had his telephone number to pass on to the podcaster?
If you dismantle both those testimonies they conflict to some degree. Antoine describes what CM's is like but not what it was on that particularly night. It's deflecting as it gives the impression CM's is busy and he lost Theo in that. Whereas nameless guy says it was very quiet and not many there. In the couple of minutes they speak we have three unnamed girls mentioned that far as I know have never been spoken too? I was told the clip of Theo (with muddy pants?) is a clip from cctv footage. Where is the original it comes from? I don't like the mood in the photo. It looks as if Theo is confused or trying to be open but there is amusement or ridicule in the manner of the onlookers. In not sure if extended arm is customer or staff at CM's. I'm not convinced why Antoine would text Theo next morning when they stay in the same place? I have lots of questions surrounding this aspect. Perhaps it is innocent but definitely we the public do not have enough information to put to rest. I think people know more than they are saying.

English is not Antoine's mother tong and an intervew in front of TV camera might have made him stammer. Antoine may have texted Théo because he couldn't find him in the hostel.
As for the two different descriptions of the crowd in CM, I can' find an explanation apart from the subjective notion of crowded place.

English is not Antoine's mother tong and an intervew in front of TV camera might have made him stammer. Antoine may have texted Théo because he couldn't find him in the hostel.
As for the two different descriptions of the crowd in CM, I can' find an explanation apart from the subjective notion of crowded place.

Yes, it could be language for sure. I've listened to him speak again in other interviews he has very good English but of course there is hesitancy in finding the right words perhaps trying to be accurate. Is Antoine the only person Theo friended on Facebook?
It just seemed kind of odd that Antoine had the phone number of another person who was there but didn't want to give his name? If they spend most of afternoon together did anyone mention plans for party later or where they might get some weed?
These are things kids are not willing to share to the media but perhaps he has spoken to the police and family.

Is that a manageable run for Theo or for anyone? What is the distance? It seems a bit long? Where the pings are located do they have time so we can calculate speed? He hardly went through bush in a vehicle or bike? If you ran this distance would you relax quick enough to watch video and send messages? Are we sure Theo didn't have his second phone? I know he has a new one. Where is the second one? Thanks very much for posting the above clips

It’s around 3.5 kilometres or 2 miles.
I haven’t seen the times released (if even known).
The Australia site reports that he got to Cheeky Monkeys at 9.35pm. He left at 11pm. He got to the beach around 11.50pm and Cosy Corner by 12.05pm. So the journey took about an hour. Google maps says the route would take about 55 minutes on foot, 14 minutes by car and 16 minutes by bike. He spent a bit of time at the oval too.

“Theo walked along suburban streets towards Byron’s Youth Activities Centre, or YAC. He stopped for a while at sports fields just short of bushland surrounding the YAC, then changed direction and headed east towards the Cape Byron Lighthouse area. He went through more suburban streets to a small road called Milne Street. He followed a sandy track and then veered off into dense bushland. Shortly before midnight, he emerged out of the bush on to Tallow Beach, and went north to a dead-end called Cosy Corner.He never went back.”

“At 12.55am, his phone sent a WhatsApp message to his stepsister Emma in Belgium. Google’s My Activity also reveals Theo repeatedly used Google Maps after leaving Cheeky Monkey’s.
Google Timeline had another element. The first part of the line to the sports fields was blue and had a walk symbol next to it. The second part from the sports fields to Cosy Corner was red, and showed Theo running.”

Attachments

• 537D02E1-D357-4138-9167-4CC7EA693014.jpeg
    537D02E1-D357-4138-9167-4CC7EA693014.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 53
It’s around 3.5 kilometres or 2 miles.
I haven’t seen the times released (if even known).
The Australia site reports that he got to Cheeky Monkeys at 9.35pm. He left at 11pm. He got to the beach around 11.50pm and Cosy Corner by 12.05pm. So the journey took about an hour. Google maps says the route would take about 55 minutes on foot, 14 minutes by car and 16 minutes by bike. He spent a bit of time at the oval too.

“Theo walked along suburban streets towards Byron’s Youth Activities Centre, or YAC. He stopped for a while at sports fields just short of bushland surrounding the YAC, then changed direction and headed east towards the Cape Byron Lighthouse area. He went through more suburban streets to a small road called Milne Street. He followed a sandy track and then veered off into dense bushland. Shortly before midnight, he emerged out of the bush on to Tallow Beach, and went north to a dead-end called Cosy Corner.He never went back.”

“At 12.55am, his phone sent a WhatsApp message to his stepsister Emma in Belgium. Google’s My Activity also reveals Theo repeatedly used Google Maps after leaving Cheeky Monkey’s.
Google Timeline had another element. The first part of the line to the sports fields was blue and had a walk symbol next to it. The second part from the sports fields to Cosy Corner was red, and showed Theo running.”

Thank you so much. I did some research on Google Timeline but the fact Theo lost his hat suggests he was running. Its possibe if he got some weed or met up with someone who was getting something they may have ran from police or from someone trying to rob them. The fact they cut through the oval might suggest they are running from a vehicle? That's why they mostly go off road. Interesting to know if there's any reports on police files of chase that night? What officers were in the area?
If they were running from homeless people or dealers it would make sense to go to lighted public areas?

I'll calculate later with times and distance if this is a brisk walk or run.

Another note. If he meets girl she may have wore his hat affectionately? He'd more likely run into bush haphazard with companion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191110_103352_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191110_103352_com.android.chrome.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 33
What are the possibilities of a French speaking person answering Theo's texts pretending to be him? Say something happened to Theo in town, an argument with another French speaking tourist which went wrong? How long was Theo at the end of Tennyson? Pretty sure that he stopped there for a bit, and even a few minutes is enough to land in serious trouble. So say an accident happened as a result of a scuffle, the perpetrator panics, Theo's phone knowing it will lead to there, panics and runs all the way to Cosy Corner, takes the bush route to avoid being seen. Stops at Cosy and rests and uses Theo's phone answering his texts, even watch part of a video, make it look like all was well up to there. Using maps en route to make it appear he was lost. There are plenty French speaking back packers around and someone who was in serious trouble would pick the bush route over known trails to avoid bumping into anyone, to make it appear Theo was lost maybe. And would kind of fit that this person was in a hurry. It is a fair way to run without a good reason. Someone in a panicked state would move fast.
If this was the case then where would Theo be? If this person had a vehicle nearby then yes could have hidden him while he/they take the phone away. Later the hat after being cleaned is planted along the same route. The only confusion with this theory is the phone pinging next day. Why would they not dispose of the phone? Possibly left somewhere very well hidden, inside a hollow tree or similar, hoping the signal leads to the area, for all they would know people could have been searching next day so if his phone was pinging there, well then that is where everyone would look. Sounds way out I know but is it possible? I think the chance of this happening is there.

What are the possibilities of a French speaking person answering Theo's texts pretending to be him? Say something happened to Theo in town, an argument with another French speaking tourist which went wrong? How long was Theo at the end of Tennyson? Pretty sure that he stopped there for a bit, and even a few minutes is enough to land in serious trouble. So say an accident happened as a result of a scuffle, the perpetrator panics, Theo's phone knowing it will lead to there, panics and runs all the way to Cosy Corner, takes the bush route to avoid being seen. Stops at Cosy and rests and uses Theo's phone answering his texts, even watch part of a video, make it look like all was well up to there. Using maps en route to make it appear he was lost. There are plenty French speaking back packers around and someone who was in serious trouble would pick the bush route over known trails to avoid bumping into anyone, to make it appear Theo was lost maybe. And would kind of fit that this person was in a hurry. It is a fair way to run without a good reason. Someone in a panicked state would move fast.
If this was the case then where would Theo be? If this person had a vehicle nearby then yes could have hidden him while he/they take the phone away. Later the hat after being cleaned is planted along the same route. The only confusion with this theory is the phone pinging next day. Why would they not dispose of the phone? Possibly left somewhere very well hidden, inside a hollow tree or similar, hoping the signal leads to the area, for all they would know people could have been searching next day so if his phone was pinging there, well then that is where everyone would look. Sounds way out I know but is it possible? I think the chance of this happening is there.

I also had this theory in my mind (occured often that criminals send msg with the victim's phone to reassure the family) but..
Running in the middle of the night into a french speaking backpacker, having a scuffel. Suppose this is a possibily but would you think the other french speaking guy would know the existence of the way through the bush to the beach ? Do you imagine him relaxing, replying to msg from Théo's phone and looking to a video ? In this scenario, there was a French backpacker with Théo and they went to the beach together and then things went wrong, the phone sweeftly hidden somwhere and of the guy disapeared.

When you find yourself in the company of thieves you have to worry about two things, what they are going to do with you, and what they might do to each other. Gangs have hierarchy.
When you steal something, it is open to be stolen again. When you have a mark, you become a mark.
We cannot imagine the intricacies of being caught in unfamiliar territory with strange and desperate people.
The idea that Theo may have money or valuables at the hostel is a possible explanation why we have a Wake Up search location. They may even ask Theo to do so. It is always best to humour dangerous people when you get trapped in their company. The possibilities are endless but most crimes are straight forward once you have the pieces. I do not believe Theo would enter the Bush alone. We should not assume the trouble surrounding byron is singular. Deciding to meet someone or tally up can bring a world of chaos.
This pic needs more discussion also.
What is puzzling me:
How come Theo's pants are dirty before entering CM, but they seem to be clean when leaving CM and turning into Kingsley St. ?
Screen-Shot-2019-06-17-at-10.03.37-am-616x351.png

What is puzzling me:
How come Theo's pants are dirty before entering CM, but they seem to be clean when leaving CM and turning into Kingsley St. ?
Screen-Shot-2019-06-17-at-10.03.37-am-616x351.png

Perhaps they dried? Maybe the stain was a liquid spill enroute to CM's. We are seriously lacking a narrative to Theo's 48 hours in Byron. He met people, connected, there should not be this gap. I can only guess that this will be a subject to future podcasts and I should not also be surprised to find more reasons for parallel investigation.

My thoughts are what reason does he have to run?

Its almost the middle of the night.

This reported running starts just on the oval at Tennyson.

If he was afraid or someone following him you would think he would not run on the beach through bush he would go bang on someone's door or yell for help.

Just makes no sense :(

Why are his pants dirty?
Where's the rest of this video?
There's a narrative to this still if shown in full context. Clearly there's information on who entered and left as this is a very good camera angle there's no other exit unless you can leave by thy back loading ramp?
Thanks for clarifying that it's Theo entering can you reference the clip please?

33 seconds into this clip shows the CMs doorway pix. These images were often shown when it all started.
Theo Hayez’s family claim hat belongs to missing backpacker

If he was afraid or someone following him you would think he would not run on the beach through bush he would go bang on someone's door or yell for help.

Just makes no sense :(

Theres also a lane and a street on the left side of that section of Tennyson Street that go straight to the populated main streets not far away.

Attachments

• 3C429AFD-FECC-418C-A13E-58553D06F8E4.jpeg
    3C429AFD-FECC-418C-A13E-58553D06F8E4.jpeg
    170.5 KB · Views: 27

Just makes no sense :([/QUOTE

If he bought weed. Or met some kids to hang out with who went to get some. Police come, you run. They don't care if you're a nice kid.

And these two pics also puzzle me:
The left one shows Theo with dirty pants standing outside CM.
The one on the right shows Theo with clean pants inside (?) CM.
Could be anything, including a mark being exaggerated in the dim light. It may be a water mark that dried, or a wine spill or something he cleaned up inside the bar. He had come from an hour long dinner and drinks at Wake Up surrounded by others. It happened before he went missing anyway and the police would’ve checked out his prior activity and interactions. Don’t reckon it’d be directly relevant just in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
emmab