Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooof, this doesn't look good does it?

We know he left up Kingsley St around 11 pm.

In 30-45 minutes he *might have* reached Tallow Beach Car Park.

*Let’s assume* he used his phone light as he walked the trail to Cosy Corner Beach. Otherwise someone else had light or led the way.

*It’s possible* he didn’t lose hat now as he would have had time and battery on phone to retrieve it. Or maybe he didn’t care?

He *may have* got to beach / campground / accommodation to hang out alone or with others, but he was still well and unalarmed at 12.20 am when he used messenger.

He hung around until 1 am when he opened WhatsApp.

At some point he *potentially* went back through Tallow Beach Trail and lost hit hat now?

Something happens.

His last ping was at 1.40 pm somewhere between Wategos and Lighthouse, according to MSM.

Somehow, walking 40 minutes, losing hat near car park, continuing to walk, hanging out for hours, then falling off rocks even though tide couldn't reach the area doesn't make sense anymore...

Or maybe he was having a really bad day! Argh. I don't know.
I agree, it just doesn't make sense to be doing any of that...

Fresh eyes:

This is another disappearance of a very young person, last seen exiting a bar. There are a quite a few of these, both men and women. They simply vanish, last seen at a bar. Also, there's the hostel-factor (in this case, apparently no close friends at the hostel who would have gone to police earlier).

It sounds like the early search focused on the obvious misadventures (land and sea). But I'd say this is a criminal investigation. Someone knows something.

The family might want to speak to one of the major podcasters (Someone Knows Something, Unresolved, Cold Case, there are many others). Generation Why does this kind of case and has a vast audience. There aren't enough details (yet) for it to go to Casefiles.

What size town is Byron Bay? Have any tourists ever been robbed there? Is this mostly a resort town or does it have its own local schools, etc? Would young locals have been at the same bar?

The family should also consult with local police about sources of DNA that might be available, if they have not already. By that I mean, sources of Theo's DNA (which could include simple, fairly inexpensive testing of the two parents).

Leaving a bar at 11:eek:o pm'ish and then going to see a sunrise implies a great deal of energy (and frankly, some companions).

I'm learning that cadaver dogs are pretty rare, so I'm guessing sniffer dogs? I'm not caught up on this case, but the family needs our energy. Feel free to correct anything I've said that's wrong (and if it's already been discussed, that's okay - I'm still reading all of Thread 1).

BB is a very popular resort town which holds many backpacker hostels and holiday accommodation. It does have its own schools, sports fields shopping centre, public pool, beach and lots of shops.

I would think Tallows Beach and Cosy Corner are very dark at night. I couldn't see the lighthouse from beach in day time. At night, maybe it is a glow behind the hills.

Thanks so much!

Before I went to "see for myself", I had theorised that if Theo tried to climb up the headland, he would fall back but not all the way to the sea, it had to be too far away. When I went there one afternoon last month, it was also close to high tide. My conclusion was the same. I thought he might have tried to go across the headland though, not going up.

That little sign is bit of a joke!

Such beautiful pics :)

I too thought he may have tried going around the headland. Then I thought, it would have been so dark and even though I am not sure, I don't think he would have been familiar, or had even been to Cosy Corner prior. He would not know if it was safe or not, so maybe he did try?
The time line is so important and if the route is inaccurate, there's not much we can do to try and determine what may have happened. I find it so hard to believe no-one knows anything and he was never seen on video footage after CM.

Someone knows something.

The only thing we can be almost certain about is that his phone was there... somewhere the next day.

So much is lost in the six days it took to realise he was even missing. We don't even know if the cap found was Theo's.

I too thought he may have tried going around the headland. Then I thought, it would have been so dark and even though I am not sure, I don't think he would have been familiar, or had even been to Cosy Corner prior. He would not know if it was safe or not, so maybe he did try?
The time line is so important and if the route is inaccurate, there's not much we can do to try and determine what may have happened. I find it so hard to believe no-one knows anything and he was never seen on video footage after CM.

Someone knows something.

The only thing we can be almost certain about is that his phone was there... somewhere the next day.

So much is lost in the six days it took to realise he was even missing. We don't even know if the cap found was Theo's.
I have been following this case on and off since poor Theo vanished. IMO Websleuthers need to restart from the known facts which I’ll cut and paste at the end of my response.

There is not point talking about Cosy Corner since this is all based on a Daily Telegraph or equivalent published map. Well we know their publishing standards are. The map showing red pinging dots leading to CC has not been confirmed as true by the police. Has it? What is the newspapers source for this map? Fake news.

No point jumping ahead to CC or anywhere else unless we have evidence and proof of Theo’s movements. This is a cold case. People are searching for clues which is admirable.

We don’t know if he had an accident, or if there was foul play. If police have some proof of the second, they and the family will not publish it.

Anyway, we might just as well hypothesis that he had an accident on the rocks near Wategos. That’s where the police were first looking and is a closer match to the Facts. SBS had a UK doco the other night about a girl who left a nightclub and within minutes was picked up by a car (arranged meeting with what turned out to be a serial killer). Fascinating to see how fast the police moved on this case.

It’s very sad for Theo’s family and we are all here trying to use our collective brainpower, but wish it was more structured step by step.

Need to confirm as fact or reject that map IMO.

Frequently asked questions
F.A.Q.
-What are the most recent updates/facts?
Theo was seen at the Northern Bottle shop at 7.45pm on the 31st of May.
He was last seen leaving Cheeky Monkeys at 11pm when he was asked to leave due to being intoxicated. He cooperated fully and was not aggressive. Others who attended the club that night describe him as not being overly drunk, was friendly and having a nice time.
Theo sent a message to a friend at 12.20am on the 1st of June.
Theo’s phone pinged a tower that encompasses the area from Clarkes Beach to the Lighthouse before 2pm on June 1. Police and search groups are searching for Theo’s phone. Other areas besides this have also been extensively searched.

-What was Theo wearing?
A black hoodie
Tan pants
A grey hat with a white puma logo
A black watch
Completely black shoes (Nike)
Silver Chain with two pendants
For pictures of these, please see Theo’s “Last known clothing item poster’.

-Is there a map of all the places that have been searched?
Yes, a centralised map of the areas searched has been created to help volunteer coordinators organise and plan searches. If you are planning to search in a specific area and wish to know if that area has already been searched, please contact us at theohayezgps@gmail.com.

-Have the beaches/creeks/rivers etc been searched/is it possible he went for a swim?
The beaches/creeks/etc have been searched by volunteers, police, surf life savers, SES, metal detectors etc.
No items of clothing or other accessories have been found.

-Have Google Accounts/Google Maps/Facebook/Snapchat/Messaging Apps/Camera/Apps been checked?
Yes, different accounts and apps have been thoroughly looked into. The police and family have this information.

-Has CCTV/Dash cam footage been looked into?
Yes, many local places/private properties have been asked for CCTV footage. There is a vast amount of CCTV being reviewed. The police have requested that anyone with dashcam footage from the late hours of the 31st of May to the early hours of the 1st of June forward the footage on to the police.

-Have the Taxi companies/Uber been investigated?
Yes, Theo's Uber account was looked into and Taxi services have been contacted.

-Have the hospitals/emergency rooms in Byron Bay and surrounding areas been contacted?
Yes, in the first few days after the family were alerted to Theo being missing they contacted every hospital they could think of.

-Is there an advertisement campaign/sponsored posts?
Yes, there has been a separate page created by a volunteer for the purpose of advertising on Facebook.

-Have metal detectors/ drones/ helicopters/ thermal imaging drones/ boats/ police divers/sniffer dogs etc. been used in the search?
Yes, both volunteers and the police have used various methods including all of the above during the search.

-I saw a post that Theo was seen in (insert city here), is this true?
This page will confirm when Theo is found. Please be mindful that there are many sightings and each one that is reported will be looked into.

-Have psychics/mediums been brought in?
Yes, there has been some involvement and any information has been reported. We have now set up a specific email address for those who wish to share spiritual insights with the search volunteers.
theohayezinsights@gmail.com

-Has the man with him in the bottleshop/people at the backpackers/the Cheeky Monkey etc been interviewed?
Yes, the man with Theo at the bottleshop has been cleared and assisted with the search. The police have information of/have spoken with any relevant people (including the security guards).

-Has the poster been shared on different Facebook groups/Instagram?
Yes, it has been shared to many groups across Australia, and it doesn't hurt to share among more. Instagram posts have been created as well as the hashtags #findtheohayez and #theohayez and shared by influencers with large amounts of followers.

-I heard he was seen running down the street, is this true?
This is unconfirmed. A person who was being interviewed said they saw him running down Shirley street and while it can't be ruled out there is conflicting information to suggest it wasn't him.

-Is the CCTV footage from Caltex/Aloha valid?
Although it was originally thought to be Theo, the footage has now been deemed inconclusive by the police.

-Has his cards been used/did he use card or cash/did he withdraw a large amount?
His bank accounts and cards have not been used since leaving the Cheeky Monkey the night of May 31st. He wasn't carrying cash with him as far as we know (reported by a friend) and he did not withdraw any large sums leading up to the 31st.

-How do we know he didn't return to the Wake Up! Backpackers?
There is no evidence to suggest he returned to the backpackers that night. He did not use his swipe key, CCTV has been checked and others staying at the backpackers have been spoken to.

-Was he looking for (farm) work while he was here?
No, he was only travelling for 8 months and then he was going home. He was not looking for work.

-Is it possible he does not want to be found/is trying to overstay his Visa?
Theo had only been travelling Australia for 8 months, so he was not at risk of his Visa running out. He was excited to go back home and had his bus journeys to Sydney/Melbourne booked coordinated with his flights back to Belgium, about a week after he was last seen. All of his personal belongings including his passport were left at his room at the Wake Up! Backpackers.

-Was Theo’s hat found?
A hat matching the description of Theo’s was found by volunteers. Currently there has been no police update on the DNA testing.

-How can I help from afar?
We have a poster group created on facebook. Both Theo’s ‘misisng person’ poster and Theo’s ‘last know clothing item’s’ poster, can be shared via email from this group. We have a spreadsheet which can be updated to keep track of place’s shared.

If you feel that you have information that could be valuable for the investigation, please report it:
1800 333 000 �
Crime Stoppers Australia

<RSBM>

-Was Theo’s hat found?
A hat matching the description of Theo’s was found by volunteers. Currently there has been no police update on the DNA testing.

The DNA result is taking quite a while, isn't it? One would think that is a pretty important thing - possibly belonging to a missing person - and wouldn't be way down the list in the labs.

I wonder if police have the results and are not publishing them.

Last edited:
I have been following this case on and off since poor Theo vanished. IMO Websleuthers need to restart from the known facts which I’ll cut and paste at the end of my response.

There is not point talking about Cosy Corner since this is all based on a Daily Telegraph or equivalent published map. Well we know their publishing standards are. The map showing red pinging dots leading to CC has not been confirmed as true by the police. Has it? What is the newspapers source for this map? Fake news.

No point jumping ahead to CC or anywhere else unless we have evidence and proof of Theo’s movements. This is a cold case. People are searching for clues which is admirable.

We don’t know if he had an accident, or if there was foul play. If police have some proof of the second, they and the family will not publish it.

Anyway, we might just as well hypothesis that he had an accident on the rocks near Wategos. That’s where the police were first looking and is a closer match to the Facts. SBS had a UK doco the other night about a girl who left a nightclub and within minutes was picked up by a car (arranged meeting with what turned out to be a serial killer). Fascinating to see how fast the police moved on this case.

It’s very sad for Theo’s family and we are all here trying to use our collective brainpower, but wish it was more structured step by step.

Need to confirm as fact or reject that map IMO.

Frequently asked questions
F.A.Q.
-What are the most recent updates/facts?
Theo was seen at the Northern Bottle shop at 7.45pm on the 31st of May.
He was last seen leaving Cheeky Monkeys at 11pm when he was asked to leave due to being intoxicated. He cooperated fully and was not aggressive. Others who attended the club that night describe him as not being overly drunk, was friendly and having a nice time.
Theo sent a message to a friend at 12.20am on the 1st of June.
Theo’s phone pinged a tower that encompasses the area from Clarkes Beach to the Lighthouse before 2pm on June 1. Police and search groups are searching for Theo’s phone. Other areas besides this have also been extensively searched.

-What was Theo wearing?
A black hoodie
Tan pants
A grey hat with a white puma logo
A black watch
Completely black shoes (Nike)
Silver Chain with two pendants
For pictures of these, please see Theo’s “Last known clothing item poster’.

-Is there a map of all the places that have been searched?
Yes, a centralised map of the areas searched has been created to help volunteer coordinators organise and plan searches. If you are planning to search in a specific area and wish to know if that area has already been searched, please contact us at theohayezgps@gmail.com.

-Have the beaches/creeks/rivers etc been searched/is it possible he went for a swim?
The beaches/creeks/etc have been searched by volunteers, police, surf life savers, SES, metal detectors etc.
No items of clothing or other accessories have been found.

-Have Google Accounts/Google Maps/Facebook/Snapchat/Messaging Apps/Camera/Apps been checked?
Yes, different accounts and apps have been thoroughly looked into. The police and family have this information.

-Has CCTV/Dash cam footage been looked into?
Yes, many local places/private properties have been asked for CCTV footage. There is a vast amount of CCTV being reviewed. The police have requested that anyone with dashcam footage from the late hours of the 31st of May to the early hours of the 1st of June forward the footage on to the police.

-Have the Taxi companies/Uber been investigated?
Yes, Theo's Uber account was looked into and Taxi services have been contacted.

-Have the hospitals/emergency rooms in Byron Bay and surrounding areas been contacted?
Yes, in the first few days after the family were alerted to Theo being missing they contacted every hospital they could think of.

-Is there an advertisement campaign/sponsored posts?
Yes, there has been a separate page created by a volunteer for the purpose of advertising on Facebook.

-Have metal detectors/ drones/ helicopters/ thermal imaging drones/ boats/ police divers/sniffer dogs etc. been used in the search?
Yes, both volunteers and the police have used various methods including all of the above during the search.

-I saw a post that Theo was seen in (insert city here), is this true?
This page will confirm when Theo is found. Please be mindful that there are many sightings and each one that is reported will be looked into.

-Have psychics/mediums been brought in?
Yes, there has been some involvement and any information has been reported. We have now set up a specific email address for those who wish to share spiritual insights with the search volunteers.
theohayezinsights@gmail.com

-Has the man with him in the bottleshop/people at the backpackers/the Cheeky Monkey etc been interviewed?
Yes, the man with Theo at the bottleshop has been cleared and assisted with the search. The police have information of/have spoken with any relevant people (including the security guards).

-Has the poster been shared on different Facebook groups/Instagram?
Yes, it has been shared to many groups across Australia, and it doesn't hurt to share among more. Instagram posts have been created as well as the hashtags #findtheohayez and #theohayez and shared by influencers with large amounts of followers.

-I heard he was seen running down the street, is this true?
This is unconfirmed. A person who was being interviewed said they saw him running down Shirley street and while it can't be ruled out there is conflicting information to suggest it wasn't him.

-Is the CCTV footage from Caltex/Aloha valid?
Although it was originally thought to be Theo, the footage has now been deemed inconclusive by the police.

-Has his cards been used/did he use card or cash/did he withdraw a large amount?
His bank accounts and cards have not been used since leaving the Cheeky Monkey the night of May 31st. He wasn't carrying cash with him as far as we know (reported by a friend) and he did not withdraw any large sums leading up to the 31st.

-How do we know he didn't return to the Wake Up! Backpackers?
There is no evidence to suggest he returned to the backpackers that night. He did not use his swipe key, CCTV has been checked and others staying at the backpackers have been spoken to.

-Was he looking for (farm) work while he was here?
No, he was only travelling for 8 months and then he was going home. He was not looking for work.

-Is it possible he does not want to be found/is trying to overstay his Visa?
Theo had only been travelling Australia for 8 months, so he was not at risk of his Visa running out. He was excited to go back home and had his bus journeys to Sydney/Melbourne booked coordinated with his flights back to Belgium, about a week after he was last seen. All of his personal belongings including his passport were left at his room at the Wake Up! Backpackers.

-Was Theo’s hat found?

-How can I help from afar?
We have a poster group created on facebook. Both Theo’s ‘misisng person’ poster and Theo’s ‘last know clothing item’s’ poster, can be shared via email from this group. We have a spreadsheet which can be updated to keep track of place’s shared.

If you feel that you have information that could be valuable for the investigation, please report it:
1800 333 000 �
Crime Stoppers Australia

Ok, let’s take at look at Wategos. Can anyone familiar with area describe trails and cliff on that side of the Cape?

Could Théo have fallen into water? Does tide reach the rocks and could have swept away evidence? Or is it a different landscape altogether?

Has there been a history of accidents there, like the Goat Track/Cosy Corner?

Is the beach itself dangerous?

<RSBM>

From what I can determine from the stated tower range, this map pic shows the area where Theo's phone last pinged, give or take a little bit.

zx92.JPG

The DNA result is taking quite a while, isn't it? One would think that is a pretty important thing - possibly belonging to a missing person - and wouldn't be way down the list in the labs.

I wonder if police have the results and are not publishing them.
Welcome back to the thread:)

I would add that Dad has been back in Byron Bay for over a week now. He should have been briefed by police too with any update. But nothing from him either. He has not made another appeal to the public yet.

I too think that the results for the cap will not be announced. Sometimes police needs to keep some knowledge secret, so that they can use it to verify anyone with a story later.

I would add that Dad has been back in Byron Bay for over a week now. He should have been briefed by police too with any update. But nothing from him either. He has not made another appeal to the public yet.

I too think that the results for the cap will not be announced. Sometimes police needs to keep some knowledge secret, so that they can use it to verify anyone with a story later.

Thanks :) I took a bit of a hiatus while William's inquest was sitting.

Yes, I read back and saw that Theo's dad was back in the country. What a nightmare his family are going through.

Curious about the cap's DNA. One would think if it was not Theo's that would be announced quite quickly. Which makes me think that it might be his, the DNA inside the cap having matched his. Perhaps there is other DNA on the cap, as well, which requires further investigation.

RSBM
I don't disagree at your approach.

But would like to point out that once the search team got started after police stopped, they first searched in around Tallows Beach and Cosy Corner. They had previously searched everywhere, including some psychic guided spots. No longer. Then they spreaded out from there. I don't have time to map their search events every week, but if someone does....

Don't you wonder how News Corp has 'replaced' the psychics for them?

JMO

From what I can determine from the stated tower range, this map pic shows the area where Theo's phone last pinged, give or take a little bit.

View attachment 204036

Just want to mention about this map pic of the stated tower range, Wategos is not quite in that range. Doesn't mean that Theo did not go there, but it sounds as if his phone didn't make it that far.

A beautiful event was held here in Byron Bay today for Theo with his family and also guest speaker Loren O'Keeffe who is Daniel O'Keeffes sister and the founder of Missing Persons Advocacy Network.

Daniels story as told by Loren is truly heartbreaking.

For those not familiar:

“Dad should never have been the one to find my brother’s body”

Search for missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez ends as case referred to NSW coroner

The disappearance of Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez from Byron Bay has been referred to the New South Wales coroner, bringing the official police search to an end.

That is so very sad for Theo's family. I cannot imagine their grief. What should have been a wonderful gap year holiday has resulted in the loss of a son.

Sounds as if the police have discounted the cap as belonging to Theo.
"The ABC understands forensic tests failed to produce a DNA match, but that those close to the family believe it belonged to Mr Hayez."

And it sounds as if his family believe Theo was with other people that night, not alone.
"We've got a strong belief and also because we know how Theo is and what he would do, he would not spend a night alone outside in an environment he didn't know, so we strongly believe that he was with people on that night," he said.

What beautiful artistry on the beach for Theo at his remembrance vigil.

11516812-3x2-940x627.jpg

Coroner has a bit more scope and isn't as bound as the Police by legal procedure. Hopefully some information will come to light from the inquiry.

It seems very early for the case to be referred to the Coroner. Police are not legally bound to refer a case to the Coroner until the person has been missing for a year, or until the investigators are of the belief that the person is deceased and have exhausted their investigation.

And then it will take 1/2/3 years for the case to be heard by the Coroner. The delays are huge due to full schedules.

I'm afraid that Theo's family may not get any answers for a long time, if they get any from an inquest.

Last edited:
It seems very early for the case to be referred to the Coroner. Police are not legally bound to refer a case to the Coroner until the person has been missing for a year, or until the investigators are of the belief that the person is deceased and have exhausted their investigation.

And then it will take 1/2/3 years for the case to be heard by the Coroner. The delays are huge due to full schedules.

I'm afraid that Theo's family may not get any answers for a long time, if they get any from an inquest.
Yes this seems very soon. But maybe, police has good reason to believe he is deceased:(

That is so very sad for Theo's family. I cannot imagine their grief. What should have been a wonderful gap year holiday has resulted in the loss of a son.

Sounds as if the police have discounted the cap as belonging to Theo.
"The ABC understands forensic tests failed to produce a DNA match, but that those close to the family believe it belonged to Mr Hayez."

And it sounds as if his family believe Theo was with other people that night, not alone.
"We've got a strong belief and also because we know how Theo is and what he would do, he would not spend a night alone outside in an environment he didn't know, so we strongly believe that he was with people on that night," he said.

What beautiful artistry on the beach for Theo at his remembrance vigil.

11516812-3x2-940x627.jpg
My thoughts:

Cap failed to produce a match, but it might not be conclusive either. So the family can still interpret it their way.

And, it sounds like the family does not have other evidence that Theo was with other people that night, except for a belief, like that's not like him to....

Yes this seems very soon. But maybe, police has good reason to believe he is deceased:(

Yes, I suspect this is the case. There has been no proof of life for 3 months now. And they may think he has gone into the ocean and been swept away.

I wonder if Theo's swimming skills were good, or if he could even swim. Not everyone swims as well as many Aussies do. And foreigners frequently get into difficulties in our waters (well, they do on Bondi Rescue :D ).

Just trying to determine the likelihood of getting good DNA samples from a cap - to me, it seems a strong likelihood.
Just a few examples:

Police said DNA on a baseball cap led to the arrest of a man in a home invasion last summer.
The hat was sent off to the Washington State Patrol lab for processing and a DNA profile was created. That profile was checked through the Combined DNA Index System, which identified the DNA on the hat ......
DNA on baseball cap leads to arrest in home invasion

Demonstrative of this practise, in a homicide case, a baseball cap worn by the shooter and recovered at the robbery scene ... The federal court denied a motion to suppress the DNA evidence.
Criminal Evidence

The following list shows some common sources of DNA evidence:
- A hat or mask, which could contain sweat, hair or dandruff
How DNA Evidence Works

Police said DNA taken from a baseball cap left behind after the May robbery of a Chase Bank branch points to a Gary man...
DNA from baseball cap helps police ID alleged bank robber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member