Australia - Warriena Wright, 26, dies in balcony fall, Surfers Paradise, Aug 2014 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. The judge has set the jury up for failure, it's no wonder they can't reach a verdict.

Some may believe a judge or a prosecutor cannot make a bad decision, we all know this is not absolutely true.

However, it's worth keeping in mind that the best judge in the country can make unpopular or seeming morally wrong decisions, because they have to work within the parameters os the *law* -- and the law sometimes falls down in applying fairly to everyone, in every situation.

Like the balcony thing... I hate it, I do. But then, that law probably exists because it *does* serve 99.5% of al the people who need it to exist. Sadly, Warriena is clearly not among them, but I would guess that probably murder trials are the vast minority of cases it is ever applied to.

So I can see reason there. But having a vent feels pretty good too.

Hopefully the decision made by our peers will be a reflection of our community values, and we can be proud of them. The Jury might have someone from emergency services on it, someone that is the head of a building body corporate, a lab technician, a bank worker, a sloot, a few uni students, a café owner, some retirees, a pet shop worker and several hospitality workers. There might be a hairdresser in the mix, someone facing bankruptcy, a disability worker and a brah,
We can only wonder what they are thinking.

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

Some may believe a judge or a prosecutor cannot make a bad decision, we all know this is not absolutely true.

However, it's worth keeping in mind that the best judge in the country can make unpopular or seeming morally wrong decisions, because they have to work within the parameters os the *law* -- and the law sometimes falls down in applying fairly to everyone, in every situation.

Like the balcony thing... I hate it, I do. But then, that law probably exists because it *does* serve 99.5% of al the people who need it to exist. Sadly, Warriena is clearly not among them, but I would guess that probably murder trials are the vast minority of cases it is ever applied to.

So I can see reason there. But having a vent feels pretty good too.

I totally agree and it's is extremely frustrating especially in Warrienas case. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Sleep. I thought they shut up shop at 4:30pm. This is so bloody nerve wracking!

Oh - Not sure, I thought it was 5pm and they've passed the 4.30 mark. I could be wrong.

Poor sods might be sequestered, wanting to go home. The pasta pan is probably already being warmed for Gabey.

Justice Byrne istrending on Twitter

attachment.php

Can you tell I'm bored :facepalm:

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 128
Oh - Not sure, I thought it was 5pm and they've passed the 4.30 mark. I could be wrong.

Things may have changed from 'back in the day' when it was common enough that the Jury would be shouted dinner and asked to carry on.

Oct 18, 2016 5:25 PMStuff Editors

However manslaughter is an available alternative for the jury in this case. Under Queensland law, the jury can return a majority verdict on manslaughter instead.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/austral...tostee-verdictHowever manslaughter is an available alternative for the jury in this case. Under Queensland law, the jury can return a majority verdict on manslaughter instead.

(or the best I can do to indicate Makara was quoting not opining).

But the charge is murder, not manslaughter. They'd have to get over that hurdle by unanimous verdict, first.

If I was on the Jury I would be getting cabin fever about now. I would start to become very opinionated, and might even be tempted to throw the twee decorative rocks at a pig head I had been tolerating for hours.

I hope they don't expect them to have Pizza for dinner (if they are sequestered).

However manslaughter is an available alternative for the jury in this case. Under Queensland law, the jury can return a majority verdict on manslaughter instead.

But the charge is murder, not manslaughter. They'd have to get over that hurdle by unanimous verdict, first.

I'm aware of that. My posts are quotes from a NZ blog following the trial, hence the link included with each post.

Are you able to fix your quote tags please? Ta.

Just to keep us amused while we're waiting :) Second from Right

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mr Right Shooters.jpg
    Mr Right Shooters.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 148
Poor sods might be sequestered, wanting to go home. The pasta pan is probably already being warmed for Gabey.

It's pretty unlikely they'd be sequestered. Nothing really has changed from yesterday that would preclude them going home... no different outside influences I mean. And they might agree between them to battle on for a little if they feel a unanimous decision is close , but it's unlikely the judge will let them go on too long... then you get into the areas of perceived pressure/ exhaustion/intimidation. The judge already said he would give them as long as necessary, and perhaps a night's sleep will freshen their minds. (Which probably need a break from that bloody tape by now)

Does one get the sense Tostee is a Never-Nude?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214