Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sep 2014 - #67

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this article whilst searching, did anything ever come of the search and subsequent investigation?

Could burnt-out car help lead police to William Tyrrell?

From memory, nothing much came of it.

There was a lot of speculation that TJ burned the car. But I don't recall the police providing the media/public with any definitive answer about the car.

(I recall that way back in the threads, we looked at it every which way to see if it could have been one of the cars that was parked on the street. And we tried to find the burned car's location, relative to Benaroon Drive.)
I remember being shocked at the time, when it seemed to be clarified during inquest that that burned out vehicle did in fact belong to TJ:

from tweets at the time of inquest:

tranche#3 - Day#2 in Taree (March 10, 2020)

Lia Harris@LiaJHarris
The William Tyrrell inquest has resumed, with Counsel Assiting the Coroner Gerard Craddock telling the court a witness has missed a flight and another is no longer required. Duane Gardoll is now on the stand, he is the son of convicted child sex offender Tony Jones.@10NewsFirst

Lia Harris@LiaJHarris·1h
Replying to @LiaJHarris
Mr Gardoll is asked about Jones’ car, a white Ford Courier, which he painted blue sometime before September 2014. He couldn’t recall exactly when he painted the car but told the court “he got done for DUI in it so he painted it blue”.

Lia Harris@LiaJHarris·1h
The court is now being shown images of a burned out car, which Mr Gardoll told the court belonged to Tony Jones.

I remember being shocked at the time, when it seemed to be clarified during inquest that that burned out vehicle did in fact belong to TJ:

from tweets at the time of inquest:

tranche#3 - Day#2 in Taree (March 10, 2020)

Lia Harris@LiaJHarris
The William Tyrrell inquest has resumed, with Counsel Assiting the Coroner Gerard Craddock telling the court a witness has missed a flight and another is no longer required. Duane Gardoll is now on the stand, he is the son of convicted child sex offender Tony Jones.@10NewsFirst

Lia Harris@LiaJHarris·1h
Replying to @LiaJHarris
Mr Gardoll is asked about Jones’ car, a white Ford Courier, which he painted blue sometime before September 2014. He couldn’t recall exactly when he painted the car but told the court “he got done for DUI in it so he painted it blue”.

Lia Harris@LiaJHarris·1h
The court is now being shown images of a burned out car, which Mr Gardoll told the court belonged to Tony Jones.

Yes, and IIRC it is still not clear (to us) why the car was burned, who burned it, or when it was burned.

It doesn't seem that TJ would be the type to spring for comprehensive insurance (so he could get a payout). He seems like a living-from-hand-to-mouth kinda guy. But who knows?
Being in the scrap metal 'business', one would think he would have at least sold it for scrap if it was a useless piece of junk.

One Local Hero: Wendy Hudson

"As a police youth liaison officer Wendy is known to youngsters for her memorable talks on personal safety."

Youth Officers - NSW Police Public Site

"The NSW Police Force role in the youth justice system is a vital one. Youth Officers are the administrators of the Young Offenders Act for NSW Police. As part of their duties, they are responsible for delivering cautions and referring children and young people to youth justice conferences.

The Youth Officer role also involves implementing strategies to reduce juvenile crime including: crime prevention and safety talks at schools, juvenile crime reduction programs; and networking with other agencies. They are the primary point of contact between NSW Police and Juvenile Justice. There is a YO at each of the 80 Local Area Commands across NSW"

So I think it's entirely possible that this witness is correct, and that Sr Constable WH got a phone call at the tennis club about a missing/runaway youth. But I'm doubtful the youth was WT. I'm assuming it could be any number of youth WH was dealing with in her work as police youth officer. JMO.

Hope it’s ok if I jump in here with my own thoughts / interpretations as I heard / read various comments from, or regards comments from, FFGM - and please be so kind as to take all of this as MOO.

Setting the scene - front & centre is FFGM.
She’s an elderly lady, now lives alone in her long term home, in a familiar neighbourhood & community, after the death of her husband a few months previous; has had some leg / hip (whatever) surgery in the interim; is selling said home; was trying to get some maintenance attended to; w/m went on the blink & delay in its repair due to parts required; daughter & family were to arrive on Friday but they suddenly decided to lob up on the Thursday night (possibly had to rush to get the beds all ready, had a late night, and a wake up to the bedlam of little children, who she loved dearly but who also made her feel very tired these days)

Friday Morning - everyone up & it’s the usual morning chaos with kids excited & noisy; breakfast needs to be prepared ( by whom); FFMC getting ready for his ‘business trip’ + needing to get script filled at chemist.
Food eaten, FFMC leaves, William wants to go in garden so FFFC goes with

now it all gets confusing. FFGM just wants to sit down on the rear patio & read her paper - she’s already getting a head ache !

Her daughter (FFFC) & the children come & go, telling her about what they’ve seen or done, alternating their activities between one minute sitting & drawing quietly > next minute running, whooping & playing in the yard.
As FFGM re-found her place in the paper, she found herself thinking that it was nice to hear & see things from the delighted & innocent perspective of pre-5 yrs of age!

Suddenly - her reminiscence was interrupted by her daughter’s frantic announcement that she couldn’t find William; she’s searched everywhere but he’s nowhere to be found. Someone must have taken him !

OMG - what ? why would someone take William ? who on earth would take William ? Surely he’s here somewhere. ... let’s just regroup / rethink ...
Maybe he’s wandered off down the road somewhere - (daughter) have you checked the roads in case he’s walked off down there ? omg, surely he can’t have got to the main roads - there’s so much traffic on those roads
Ok (daughter) you check again with neighbours, I’ll look inside again . L do you know where William went to ? Did you see him go anywhere ?
Come help GM look inside ..

Now it’s Serious - no sign of William inside & upon going outside it’s obvious that FFFC has had no luck in locating him either.
FFMC now arrives home & he frantically starts to search for William, telling FFFC to call 000. .

Police arrive, the search begins, people, dogs, air search - that headache is pounding but her heart is pounding more. Where are you William ? did someone take you as she suggested ? But who would do that ? Why ?

Then Const. Wendy Hudson arrives & comes to chat ( she’s local & we’ve had so much engagement across community activities) It’s comforting so see a familiar face in some position of ‘capability’. Wendy assures me that it’ll be ok. She asks me what happened. .. and I explain as much as I can recall of the morning that led up to now & that (FFFC) had said that someone had taken William.

Wendy is a bit taken back. She asks me if I think someone has taken him. She asks me about the people around here & if I think there’s anyone who might want to harm William. OMG - I can’t even begin to think about that, surely he’s just fallen somewhere in the garden. She asks me again - I say ‘ well what about that secretive guy over the road, he seems a bit weird, what’s his story, could he be into taking children ?’
But Wendy says there’s no questions about him, he’s fully accounted for ...
Well - OK - then I’ve no f .. idea who might have done this; I’ve no idea who would want to harm William .. surely he’s not been taken, surely they’ll find him asleep in bushes somewhere .....

Wendy explained that I will be asked to give a Statement & she said ‘ Don’t stress, just tell them what you told me now & it’ll all be fine’

So that’s just my Scenario of something that may be faintly like how it played out - my intention being to show that sometimes things are relevant to the Enth degree & other times it’s what we aren’t privy to that has the important context.

I truely value our care & concern for William, the awesome talent & knowledge in this team and our attempts to try to provide some value toward solving his disappearance - it’s why I joined after lurking for quite some time ( it’s the only Websleuth case that I follow) .

I do however find myself saddened & my involvement challenged, on occasions when I sense that William’s cause is forgotten - and our personal egos take over... .I know I’ve many times cancelled a post because I realised it was coming more from protecting my feelings than it was about William’s plight.

Personally, as I pray for 2022 to be the year for William, I also pray that we can be United in Our Cause & put aside the the personal agendas - after all, and thankfully, we are all individuals, our thoughts, our comments, our phrases etc. are our own individual expressions - and we are all entitled to have our individuality respected & considered.

Bless you all in 2022. May it be a year of wholesomeness & goodness for you & your families and may it bring betterment to this world .

thank you warshawski, blessings for a good wholesome happy year to you too,
i enjoyed reading your scenario story, and could easily picture it and get a feel of how it possibly unfolded for fgm that morning:)

Yes, and IIRC it is still not clear (to us) why the car was burned, who burned it, or when it was burned.

It doesn't seem that TJ would be the type to spring for comprehensive insurance (so he could get a payout). He seems like a living-from-hand-to-mouth kinda guy. But who knows?
Being in the scrap metal 'business', one would think he would have at least sold it for scrap if it was a useless piece of junk.
Also, it seems to convey that this vehicle that he seemed to have been driving at the time of W's disappearance had already been painted light blue, or is this yet a different vehicle than the one he gave to someone else, which was subsequently towed by LE and examined, as possibly being the white vehicle that FM says she saw that morning?

The Bonny Hills searches were due to a witness saying they saw a white van disappear into the bush, on the afternoon of the day that William disappeared. Speculation that it was Spedding (when he was a POI) as it was along the route that Spedding could take from his home in Bonny Hills.

Turns out it couldn't have been him because he was at a kids footy presentation.

IIRC they found a bone or two ... presumably nothing related to William. Because the matter died down. (Just like the matter with the burned car died down.)
From memory the witness originally said it was Spedding but then backed down and said it was a van that looked like his van.

The sheer amount of information on this case is massive, yet nothing really gets to the point of being at the point of arrests.
Absolutely correct TW...... and imagine how much info the Police have??? I think it was CO who said it wasn't just files, but that files on the case, they came by the "room full"..... IMO

The Bonny Hills searches were due to a witness saying they saw a white van disappear into the bush, on the afternoon of the day that William disappeared. Speculation that it was Spedding (when he was a POI) as it was along the route that Spedding could take from his home in Bonny Hills.

Turns out it couldn't have been him because he was at a kids footy presentation.

IIRC they found a bone or two ... presumably nothing related to William. Because the matter died down. (Just like the matter with the burned car died down.)
I remember the press trying hard to place Spedding's work van there. They pretty much stated that it was him, but he had taken the name off the side of his van, or something like that...but his wife said the name was not removable? Does any remember that little controversy?

I keep thinking back to that because I am reminded how EVERYTHING he or his wife or his friends said or did, was dragged through the mud. If someone came forward to say they didn't think he was guilty, that person would be scrutinised and criticised horribly. Even to the point of being accused of being his accomplice.

That is one of the things that is holding me back from jumping on this new bandwagon against the foster family. It feels like a deja vu.

Do we know this for sure Dr ?

I ask this because it would seem to me to be a big gap on part of investigators to allow anyone who was with a missing person within 5 mins (whatever ) of them going missing, just be free to do as they wished, drive off unaccompanied etc, in the time while the initial search is being conduction - JMO
IIRC, She didn't go to pick her sister up from the airport until a couple of days later. The initial searches and interviews had already happened.

sept 17 2014 news article published 5 days after william missing, intensive searching but no mention of the cars ffc saw in the street, so would it have been 5 days later when she drove to the airport to pick up her sister that she remembered the 2 strange cars?
Was William Tyrell abducted? Police investigating reports of suspicious man | Daily Mail Online
Hi Bear,
FM picked her sister up at the airport on Sunday Afternoon the 14th September, 2 days after William went missing ...

As per Chapter 4, Page 56, of Missing William Tyrrell by C Overington.

ETA Great to see an old article with all the photos to refresh the old memory....

In regards to when the FFC picked up her relative from the airport, according to this article it was September 18th.

"18 September: Foster mother picks up relative from Port Macquarie airport and suddenly remembers three strange cars being in Benaroon Drive before William’s disappearance.

Gives second police statement, at Port Macquarie, and says while searching for William on September 12 she heard a quick, sharp high-pitched scream from the reeds and a grassy knoll"

By the way, this news article contains the most extensive detailed timeline I have seen in the media, from the time WT was born and a detailed timeline on the day he went missing.

I can't vouch for its accuracy but some might find it interesting to go over.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/p...e/news-story/38baa59f1db54e441f01cc11a6af6eba

sept 17 2014 news article published 5 days after william missing, intensive searching but no mention of the cars ffc saw in the street, so would it have been 5 days later when she drove to the airport to pick up her sister that she remembered the 2 strange cars?
Was William Tyrell abducted? Police investigating reports of suspicious man | Daily Mail Online
None of the cars the ffc claimed to see were announced in msm until the 60 minutes interview much later in 2015.

None of the cars the ffc claimed to see were announced in msm until the 60 minutes interview much later in 2015.
thats right, i couldnt remember if it was years later we heard about the cars or the photos were released then which seemed strange as could have been a main lead in the investigation

I keep marrying a few ideas together, wondering if they are related in some way. 1. The sighting of the 2 car by FFC. 2. The confirmation of the cars by PS as being seen prior to the date WT disappeared but not seen on the morning of the 12/9/14. 3. GO talking to the FFC sister about the deck. 4. PS seeing a land rover of a different type to the FP's in the driveway of the FGM's home on the 11/09/14. 5. The FFC remembering 2 cars parked opposite the house on her return journey from the airport after picking up her sister. IMO

Last edited:
Does anyone else remember an article way back, about all the various vehicles seen in the area that morning W went missing? There were reports about:
1) the white and grey cars seen by FM from 7am to... ??
2) the blue/green/grey/teal car seen by FM around 9am?
3) there was also mention in at least one or some articles about a (IIRC) 4WD vehicle speeding through the streets nearby?
We haven't (to my knowledge) heard much about #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist