AZ AZ - Chelsea Grimm, 32, traveling from San Diego CA to CT, car found Oct 5 on Forest Rd 6 near Williams, she was last seen in Williams, 28 Sep 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
not all people like airplanes, especially after Covid. I get it, as a photographer myself, a road trip gives one opportunity, to explore, connect with nature, see different architecture/landscapes, try different food. I actually drove from California to Texas alone all through Route 66 and camped in Flagstaff in my car, so this case hits me, it could have been me. Flagstaff is beautiful, There is some forest and mountain areas , not like the typical desert and cactus the most people think of Arizona. I would prefer to drive than fly any day, if I have the money and time To do so. I pray for her and her family.
I do not get how she got to CA previously- does she have a job? just freelances? and where is she getting insects and fresh veg for the dragon?

I’d much rather fly with it than drive it through a few of the backwards states looking for an excuse to pull over out of state plates! TSA isn’t looking for it nor do they care for the most part
It is still a federal offense if caught with it. As someone who has worked in the cannabis industry for over a decade, I would NOT advise traveling with cannabis (interstate trafficking). While TSA officers aren’t necessarily looking for drugs, they have a duty to report if found. Not all states are cannabis friendly either. Not worth the risk, IMO. Trust me, I know at least a handful of people who got caught and dealt with the legal consequences of breaking federal and state laws.

From this Law and Crime Network video, which may shed some light on whether she actually SPOKE to her parents about the change of plans or whether it was an electronic communication (it seems it was the latter, even though previously her mother was on film saying Chelsea had called them).

It's worrisome to me that if they only communicated electronically, that may not have been her at all speaking with them. And wouldn't she have known prior to the day of the flight that her pet wasn't allowed on the plane?

Her mother reported:

"She was going to fly home for the wedding in NY but the day she was supposed to get on the airplane, she emailed Steve and said she was going to drive across country instead. So that was on the 24th."

Her father said "a change of plans last minute was NOT out of character for her. She had adopted the bearded dragon and didn’t want to come without it, but you can’t bring it on the plane. So that, ostensibly, was the reason", he said.

Her mother said: "A few days later - we were texting back and forth with her and she said “I’ve driven for 3 days and I’m in Arizona. I'm not gonna make it to the east coast for the wedding. I think I'm gonna skip the wedding, stop here for a day or two and do some camping.”"

From this Law and Crime Network video, which may shed some light on whether she actually SPOKE to her parents about the change of plans or whether it was an electronic communication (it seems it was the latter, even though previously her mother was on film saying Chelsea had called them).

It's worrisome to me that if they only communicated electronically, that may not have been her at all speaking with them. And wouldn't she have known prior to the day of the flight that her pet wasn't allowed on the plane?

Her mother reported:

"She was going to fly home for the wedding in NY but the day she was supposed to get on the airplane, she emailed Steve and said she was going to drive across country instead. So that was on the 24th."

Her father said "a change of plans last minute was NOT out of character for her. She had adopted the bearded dragon and didn’t want to come without it, but you can’t bring it on the plane. So that, ostensibly, was the reason", he said.

Her mother said: "A few days later - we were texting back and forth with her and she said “I’ve driven for 3 days and I’m in Arizona. I'm not gonna make it to the east coast for the wedding. I think I'm gonna skip the wedding, stop here for a day or two and do some camping.”"

So we've now heard a phone call, a text, and an email? oh boy...

Her mother reported:

It not hard to get it all confused. Fact is for me I have replaced a lot of my personal phone calls with texts. But I do also say last time I spoke to them /heard from them - when its a text but it soumds like I spoke to them. Most of the time it does not really matter - except for moments like this -
JMO

SBM
So now they're saying the wedding was in NY? (not that it matters, I'm sure that's where she'd have to fly anyway)

It not hard to get it all confused. Fact is for me I have replaced a lot of my personal phone calls with texts. But I do also say last time I spoke to them /heard from them - when its a text but it soumds like I spoke to them. Most of the time it does not really matter - except for moments like this -
JMO
Exactly. And some older folks may still think of a phone as a "call" even if it was a text, so they might use that term. As you said, doesn't usually matter except in situations like this.

Moo..the lizard can go for weeks without food n water, expecially if in cool environment since it can go into semi dormant state. The lizard can cling on her shoulder or any where on her, and will stay because she is warm. They can run fast but it will be lethargic if in cool temp..So as long as she is ok the lizard is fine...moo

Her mother reported:

The weird part to me is that she apparently either 1) did not have much intention to complete the whole drive in time or 2) underestimated the number of needed stops to provide care to the Dragon. I find both scenarios troubling.

It's a bit over 5 hours from San Diego to Phoenix. We know that she had lunch with a friend and had planned another lunch (?) so she wasn't just driving and trying to make her best progress toward Connecticut or New York or where ever the wedding was. It sounds like she took a day off driving once she got to Phoenix, and when she resumed, she went north (good idea) but then turned west again (on that third day). If she had done her best to head east from Flagstaff, she could easily have been in Albuquerque. Or further.

Instead, she texts that she's "going camping" instead. This is reminding me a little of the (sad) Esther Dingley case, in which a young woman appears to have a good grasp of how to plan (for Esther, it was camping and hiking) but something goes wrong in a major way, with increasingly odd decision making (Esther apparently approached strangers for food; got into an argument in a grocery store while provisioning herself; bought few and unusual provisions, resulting in her need for food).

If we take CG's messages literally, it's true she "drove" for 3 days and is still in Arizona. Was she directionally challenged? Did her car have Nav-Sat? Her phone would have had maps, but maybe not once she headed north of Ash Fork into the forest area (although it doesn't seem she was that far from cell towers). Still, perhaps her car was in a spot with poor service.

I wish we'd hear news that LE has used tracker dogs.

Also in the Law and Crime video interview I linked above, her parents said she went through a breakup and her mental state was "off." Her father says she seemed uneven the past few days. He said, "I would say yes, but I also think it's fair to say she didn't seem completely 'even'. She seemed pretty uneven that last day or two."

Reporter: "What do you mean by 'uneven'?"

Father: "Um, just that she was, um... she had a lot on her mind that she was expressing through texts... and she was upset with a boy she was dating... who was scared of him... I feel like she was moving away from him... and I think overall that was affecting a lot of her mindset. They had broken up, and, um, he had posted things on social media, etc., so they're very well aware of him but as to Chelsea's state of mind, I think it was affected by him and their breakup, or the way they departed."

Her parents don't believe she would harm herself. Father said, "It's not inconceivable, but we really don't think that was her state of mind."

Also per the interview, she has a AAA card on her parent's family plan that she could have used for car trouble, assuming she had cell service. Her parents seem satisfied with LE's searches (land and air) and various technology that's been used, but they have hired a PI who specializes in missing persons. I think the name mentioned was Billy Townsend but it was hard to make out.

Link here to interview:

The weird part to me is that she apparently either 1) did not have much intention to complete the whole drive in time or 2) underestimated the number of needed stops to provide care to the Dragon. I find both scenarios troubling.

It's a bit over 5 hours from San Diego to Phoenix. We know that she had lunch with a friend and had planned another lunch (?) so she wasn't just driving and trying to make her best progress toward Connecticut or New York or where ever the wedding was. It sounds like she took a day off driving once she got to Phoenix, and when she resumed, she went north (good idea) but then turned west again (on that third day). If she had done her best to head east from Flagstaff, she could easily have been in Albuquerque. Or further.

Instead, she texts that she's "going camping" instead. This is reminding me a little of the (sad) Esther Dingley case, in which a young woman appears to have a good grasp of how to plan (for Esther, it was camping and hiking) but something goes wrong in a major way, with increasingly odd decision making (Esther apparently approached strangers for food; got into an argument in a grocery store while provisioning herself; bought few and unusual provisions, resulting in her need for food).

If we take CG's messages literally, it's true she "drove" for 3 days and is still in Arizona. Was she directionally challenged? Did her car have Nav-Sat? Her phone would have had maps, but maybe not once she headed north of Ash Fork into the forest area (although it doesn't seem she was that far from cell towers). Still, perhaps her car was in a spot with poor service.

I wish we'd hear news that LE has used tracker dogs.
Agreed to all you wrote. What happened in Phoenix, if anything, and is that critical? Who was the friend, what was her demeanor with the friend, what did she tell the friend, etc.?

Personally I can't imagine driving cross country even with someone to share the driving, just because I cannot stand long car rides, so if I had been trying to get from CA to CT in 5 days, I couldn't imagine stopping to meet up with anyone esp as I'd just begun the journey and would want to cover as much distance as possible before getting tired.

This reminds me of a friend who loves to camp and experience nature. I'm projecting a bit but my impression is that she feels strong emotions about her experiences in nature, and could be easily digressed or distracted off her original plans, by seeing an intriguing place and impulsively deciding to incorporate that place into the adventure on a last-minute basis. I could easily see it taking three days to travel a few hundred miles in this way. MOO

Chelsea Grimm is seen in body-worn camera footage and inset left; an up-close image of her tattoo is inset right.

The officer signals his understanding and asks if she has been smoking any marijuana. Grimm said she had “hours and hours ago.”

He then leaves for several minutes to check the registration and ask for guidance about the smoking – though he tells the dispatcher she doesn’t look impaired. The two members of law enforcement settle on more or less leaving the issue undisturbed while advising Grimm to try and find another driver or some place nearby to sleep.

Chelsea’s mom, Janet, says that it’s a “hopeful sign” that the pet bearded dragon is also missing.

“I think that the chances of people recognizing Chelsea are connecting the dots. If they see somebody with a bearded dragon, they’re going to take an extra look at that person.”

My first thought was who did she meet? My other thoughts with the crying, visit at cemetery, telling parents not to expect to hear from her for a few days, and the middle of nowhere made me think she was really, really sad and maybe done with this life. However, the fact she took her lizard and other stuff, feels like she got a ride, or was going to walk for help? What about the last person to see her, aren't they usually investigated?
Curious to learn more about the “woodcutter” jmo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenae