AZ - FLDS leader Warren Jeffs on child sex charges, Colorado City, 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sure haven't been seeing anything in the news lately about the hunt for Jeffs but hopefully they're getting closer! This new article sounds like they have some people talking atleast!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/POLYGAMIST_FUGITIVE?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Arizona's attorney general believes polygamist leader Warren Jeffs recently returned to perform more marriages involving underage girls in his church's community along the Utah-Arizona state line.

"I've heard from a number of different sources who said he's been here," Attorney General Terry Goddard told the Deseret Morning News for Saturday editions. "They said he's performed marriages, and (they) pointed out a mobile home they said was the wedding chapel."

More at link.

Old Broad

Hope they catch this nut soon.:eek:
Those poor brain washied people, wonder if they can ever
have a normal life....

Someone mentioned that LDS needs to clean up it's act, well I'm at a loss at what else they can do? They abolished polygamy in 1890, they excommunicate anyone found to belong to a polygamist sect and it is NOT a part of the mainstream Church. So how are they responsible for what others do? These sects go off and do their own thing, sadly using the Churchs name as if it were sanctioned by the Church.

I'm willing to bet that most of the younger generation have never even set foot in a true temple so have no clue what they are forced to live is not what the Church believes.

I'm not trying to be a smarty pants here, but what happens when the Catholic Church excommunicates someone? Do they keep an eye on them? Are there any other religions that go out and actively search for excommunicated members and tell them to stop? How do you stop someone who wants to do what they want and use a name in any way they please?

I think it's disgusting what those sects do and I'll never understand how the masses with them believe everything they are told.

BhamMama said:
Someone mentioned that LDS needs to clean up it's act, well I'm at a loss at what else they can do? They abolished polygamy in 1890, they excommunicate anyone found to belong to a polygamist sect and it is NOT a part of the mainstream Church. So how are they responsible for what others do? These sects go off and do their own thing, sadly using the Churchs name as if it were sanctioned by the Church.

BhamMama, 1 thing I wish LDS would do is to come out very strongly against Jeffs, with all of the coverage that's been done on him since he was put on the top 10 fugitve list, I have not seen where there has been any statements given about these sects by the LDS, to me their silence in it is not a good thing. I do understand they are not a part of LDS and I would think that LDS would want people to understand that they in no way approve of young children being molested and ask people if they know anything to please do the right thing!

Old Broad

Aside from the young girl aspect (which I do disagree with and is IMO a seperate issue)

WHy is polygamy illegal? I mean my hubby certainly doesn't want more then one wife... But what does anyone care what 2 or more consenting adults do??

I guess they just circumvene the law by not marrying the other wives?
I am sure they have some ceromony but not a legal one.

As far as two, four or six consenting adults living together, I myself don't care. But for Utah to become a State they had to outlaw it per Federal Law.

There were four acts of congress that were passed in Utah prior to the one that granted them statehood.

1862 the Anti-Bigamy Act
1874 Poland Act
1882 Edmunds Act
1887 Edmunds-Tucker Act

The Edmunds-Tucker Act was said by some set up to destroy the LDS if it continued to practice polygamy. Up to and including disbanning the Church and selling it's assests, prohibting woman from voting, making voters provide a signed document that they deny polygamy and a few others. As you can guess they agreed to the State hood provisions instead which granted them freedom from the Edmunds-Tucker act yet still deny polygamy.

It's not really the act of polygamy per say that is illegal in many Mormans eyes, it's telling people and living an open life. If you have a duplex and are 'married' to the neighbor, no one says anything. If you have a 'wife' and introduce her as your cousin but everyone knows you are living together, that's okay, it's telling people that gets them in trouble. That's not of course taking into consideration the sects that are doing what they want.

The reason the sects even exist and live the way they do is the Mormon doctrine states that in order to enter the highest heaven that those who enter must be living in polygamy. Mormon doctrine also states that they believe in being subject to the laws of the land, insofar as those laws protect individual rights. So for the time being, the largest Mormon sect, the LDS church, has decided it is more important to live the laws of the land than those of God. Other Mormon faiths have made a different choice in the matter, and practice polygamy in defiance of the laws of the land.

As for why the Federal government made polygamy illegal, it was public outcry that forced the U.S government to make a stand on polygamy. By other religious leaders. It was outlawed in 1862 and re tried in the case of Reynolds vs U.S in 1878 and upheld that it was not against the constitution to ban it. Reynolds vs U.S stated that religious duty was not a defense when you are under a criminal indictment. In short, you can't make religious doctrine that overrides the law of the land. Because though the congress can't legislate against opinion, it can against an action, of which polygamy is.

I am descended from polygamist. My great great grandfather had 3 wives. It is not very uncommon if you had family from Utah to find many people who are descended from polygamist. As far as I know, going by records I have, none of the woman were under the age of consent for the time, the youngest being 17. I'm not sure of the legal age of consent to marriage in the 1800's but it even states that right now it can be younger than 18 if not forced or the male is 10 years or older than the female. I do know that the age of sexual consent was just raised from 14 to 16 in 2005 in Utah.

Warren Jeffs was arrested in Nevada! Looking for a link.

In LasVagas at traffic stop....

MSN, no links yet......

He was arrested on Interstate 15 by a Nevada State Trooper.

Pharlap said:
In LasVagas

MSN, no links yet......

What a shock! Mr. LaMer and I were talking about this guy just the other day. To think, he was pulled over by a state trooper, for a traffic violation! However, it was speculated as to whether the FBI was tailing him. Seems like a happenance, maybe WOW--

He can be where he belongs now :behindbar

In a red escalade. So low profile.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/29/polygamist.arrest.ap/index.html

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP) -- The fugitive leader of a polygamist sect has been arrested in southern Nevada, the FBI said Tuesday.

Warren Steed Jeffs, 50, was taken into custody after he and two other people were pulled over late Monday by a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper on Interstate 15 just north of Las Vegas, FBI spokesman David Staretz said.

wahoo! its about time that this guy was caught and locked up with all the other pedophiles.. congratulations to the police officer who caught him :clap:

According to FOX News, the vehicle, a red Escalade, was pulled over for something to do with a Temporary tag. In the vehicle with Warren Jeffs were his brother, and one of his wives. He was taken into custody without incident.

Kudos to that Trooper :woohoo: :clap:

Here is the link for the Warren Jeffs thread http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24603

Shadow205 said:
He was arrested on Interstate 15 by a Nevada State Trooper.

Thanks for the update!!!

{{{{{Hug a state trooper today}}}}}} (But not if he's trying to arrest you).

Bhodirasta said:
If yall ONLY KNEW how much MONEY, TAX PAYERS money goes to support pedophilia and polygamy yall would BARF. This man is a DISGUSTING PEDOPHILE worshiped by hordes of people. He is a sick sick man. Pop out the kids, then rape the government to support them.
Absolutely DISGUSTING.
They run the town, the police, the local gov't. A man name Leavitt prosecuted a similar case in UT, and what did they do? They booted him out of office! I will have to dig a bit to find that case, but I think it might have even been one of Jeff's (If not Jeff himself) "little buddies".
The poor GIRLS!!! They are not to watch TV, go to school, QUESTION thier husbands (even if they are EIGHTY)... It is absolutely ATTROCIOUS that we turn our heads from this....

Even though this post is over a year old, it bears repeating! My husband spent a year living in Mohave Co. AZ and traveled to Colorado City on several occassions. Those people have figured out every conceivable way to avoid paying their fair share of taxes and want the government to support them at every opportunity. They purposefully do not complete construction on their homes so they can avoid higher property taxes. Since their multiple wives are not "legal" spouses, these women bear many children and use the welfare system to support them. IT IS DISGUSTING!

I know some would say they are entitled to practice their brand of religion free from government interference, BUT that would mean that anyone could set up a religion based on pedophilia, or perhaps the "sacrifice" of their first born child based on their "religious" beliefs, totally ignoring the laws of the land that dictate that murder or pedophilia is illegal and punishable under all state and federal laws. So why should these people be exempt?

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AP) -- The fugitive leader of a polygamist sect has been arrested in southern Nevada, the FBI said Tuesday.

Warren Steed Jeffs, 50, was taken into custody after he and two other people were pulled over late Monday by a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper on Interstate 15 just north of Las Vegas, FBI spokesman David Staretz said.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/08/29/polygamist.arrest.ap/index.html

I can only hope that a few more of the many many girls that have been married off under similar circumstances come forward so they can continue to add charges and so that they can prosecute him for each and every offense.. though i suspect that many are either too afraid to come forward even now...Does anyone know if he would have to register as a sex offender once convicted of these crimes?

One more sicko pedophile off the streets. Maybe Jeffs and Karr can share a jail cell. And did you read where he was arrested with $142,000.00 in cash on him, plus prepaid credit cards, cell phones, etc.

Good!! :clap: :clap: Give that NV state trooper a medal!!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster23
Back