Found Deceased AZ - Jerold Williams, 5, Jacob Lake, 6 Aug 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Though I consider myself an experienced hiker, I got lost once hiking (alone) on National Forest land. I was following a trail that seemed clear enough, but at some point I must have veered onto a game trail and became disoriented. In the immediate moments after I realized I was lost, I completely panicked. I tried to find my way back to the trail, then ran back in the direction I thought I came from before. I was frantic and in my anxiety, I made unwise decisions and worsened the situation. Finally after the initial adrenaline wore off, I was able to sit and more calmly make a plan. I found my way to a dirt road, and was lucky enough to encounter a couple on ATVs who gave me a ride. Even as a young adult, I was wary of describing my situation and asking for help to these strangers. But I am so glad I did.

The take home wisdom I am moved to share: if you or your child/loved one become lost, it is extremely difficult not to panic, so STAY PUT until you think the situation through. A person with experience hiking or in the out-of-doors is NOT the same as a person with experience being lost and alone.

The whistle is an amazing idea -- please give one to every person on every outing. And remind them at the beginning of every day during a trip to please STAY PUT if they become lost, no matter how panicked they may become. You will find them.

Such a tragedy. I am so sorry for this boy's family.

Excellent! And, wear BRIGHT clothing. I've learned that from reading the descriptions of missing kids on WS - the last couple of cases I followed were about kids in clothes that blended in with the surroundings.

It is surprisingly hard to hear anything in the woods when someone gets out just a short ways. What happens is the bark of the trees and the leaves and the brush all absorb the noise and it makes it very difficult for sound to carry.

The only sounds that carry well are very loud sharp sounds like a gunshot. But if you are just calling with your voice the sound does not carry far at all.

That has been my experience when in the woods trying to call out to people. Voices do not carry far.

We even had a guy honking their vehicle once looking for someone and we were quite surprised how the cars horn did not carry very well.

You are right about the 5 mile thing though. I think searchers need to stay focused close to the missing spot. Especially with a young child. Too many times I think searchers go out too far without searching well enough close by.

I am surprised that the sound of car horns couldn't carry very well.

Excellent! And, wear BRIGHT clothing. I've learned that from reading the descriptions of missing kids on WS - the last couple of cases I followed were about kids in clothes that blended in with the surroundings.

Decision made, my grand nieces and nephews go camping often and I am going to buy for their Christmas presents. Fun looking child whistles !

I am surprised that the sound of car horns couldn't carry very well.

Speaking from personal experience ... it is hard to tell what direction it is coming from if hills, water and valleys are involved :( and actually could mislead :(

So this baby wandered until he was overcome and he was almost to safety at a road when he finally expired ? That is tragic beyond tragic :(

So this baby wandered until he was overcome and he was almost to safety at a road when he finally expired ? That is tragic beyond tragic :(

Unfortunately, he walked the wrong way when he hit the road, which led him further away from the campsite. :(

I'm thinking that a 5 year old would probably panic and be moving quite quickly desperately trying to find his family. Although he's followed the road he won't have any real sense of direction. Think about when a five year old goes missing at, say Walmart. They panic, they don't go in logical straight lines. They move quickly trying to find mom/dad. He's probably gotten himself exhausted quite quickly. Poor little guy.

I find Jerolds case a bit suspicious for many reasons. But I'll just show the connection of 3 boys that became missing recently. 1-Deorr Kunz July 10th, still missing, blonde haired boy, 2 1/2 years old. LDS relationships, 2-Jerold Williams, Aug 6th-10th,found deceased. 5 yrs, blonde haired boy, FLDS member. 3- Malachi Bradley, Aug. 23-24 found alive, 10 years old, blonde haired boy, LDS member. All 3 disappeared from campgrounds when if looked at on a map seems curious.
attachment.php

I went hiking today and as we walked by some tall weeds a bunch of grasshoppers started jumping and flying. I thought about Jerold chasing them and tears nearly came to my eyes. I swallowed them back only so I wouldn't have to explain to my friends.

For some reason this kid has just stuck with me.

I went hiking today and as we walked by some tall weeds a bunch of grasshoppers started jumping and flying. I thought about Jerold chasing them and tears nearly came to my eyes. I swallowed them back only so I wouldn't have to explain to my friends.

For some reason this kid has just stuck with me.

Me too. For some reason I can't get that sweet little boy out of my head. God rest his soul!

I find Jerolds case a bit suspicious for many reasons. But I'll just show the connection of 3 boys that became missing recently. 1-Deorr Kunz July 10th, still missing, blonde haired boy, 2 1/2 years old. LDS relationships, 2-Jerold Williams, Aug 6th-10th,found deceased. 5 yrs, blonde haired boy, FLDS member. 3- Malachi Bradley, Aug. 23-24 found alive, 10 years old, blonde haired boy, LDS member. All 3 disappeared from campgrounds when if looked at on a map seems curious.
attachment.php

Oh my gosh, that is scary. I realize this is a huge area, but that map is chilling. Have you posted that in the DeOrr forum? Also, would make a good post in the Missing 411/missing from National Parks forum in the Parking Lot section. Will you post it there, or do you mind if I do?

Excellent article, thank you for posting.

attachment.php

As a person with ties to the LDS community, I must admit I am offended by what I think you are insinuating. Can you please clarify?

attachment.php

Really, this is probably a not-all-that-crazy coincidence, IMO. Those areas have a high population of LDS members or relatives of members. It's would seem more unusual to me if they had zero ties to LDS, simply because it is so common.

Really, this is probably a not-all-that-crazy coincidence, IMO. Those areas have a high population of LDS members or relatives of members. It's would seem more unusual to me if they had zero ties to LDS, simply because it is so common.

That was another thought I had. These children, and I'm going to assume Jerold more than the others, considering where Colorado City is, live in this wilderness. The children have more than a passing familiarity with the outdoors. Jerold was wearing a type of work boot, long underwear, jeans and a long sleeve denim button up shirt yet he succumbed to the elements on the first night which was 60 degrees. All three campgrounds sit next to a bordering state, a straight line mainroad connects them with miles and miles of cob webbed forest service and farm roads.

As a person with ties to the LDS community, I must admit I am offended by what I think you are insinuating. Can you please clarify?
All I'm saying is I believe there is a connection between these incidences. What it is I don't know.

Oh my gosh, that is scary. I realize this is a huge area, but that map is chilling. Have you posted that in the DeOrr forum? Also, would make a good post in the Missing 411/missing from National Parks forum in the Parking Lot section. Will you post it there, or do you mind if I do?
I dont mind go ahead.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LadyW528
Back