Deceased/Not Found AZ - Jhessye Shockley, 5, Glendale, 11 Oct 2011 - #1 *J. Hunter guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewer says it is being reported Mom is being looked at. Asks Grandma what she feels in her heart. Are you sure J's mother had nothing to do with her disappearance? Her reply is I feel comfortable saying that. I just don't think she's capable of that. To do anything to her child. I just can't see that?:waitasec:

Interviewer says it is being reported Mom is being looked at. Asks Grandma what she feels in her heart. Are you sure J's mother had nothing to do with her disappearance? Her reply is I feel comfortable saying that. I just don't think she's capable of that. To do anything to her child. I just can't see that?:waitasec:

Sorry, I do NOT believe her!:mad:

JMHO
fran

I've tried looking for updated news today about this little girl, but all I am finding are articles saying the grandmother is claiming racism in media coverage......
with all due respect to Grandma, I don't think it is racism making the media back off.....but the fact that your daughter is a convicted child abuser and you want to defend her in every interview. JMO

JMHO
fran

IMO...How can you go on a national interview and say that your daughter would never do anything to hurt her child right after the interviewer was talking about the Mom's record for child abuse?:waitasec:
Did Grandma forget about the electrical cords?

http://www.azfamily.com/news/Networ...hessye-Schockley-disappearance-132360283.html

from article...
Jahessye's photo first appeared on cable's Headline News Friday morning and that night, had several minutes of coverage But the group Mediawatch AZ, which monitors news coverage across the country, says Jahessye's story has already spread nationally. Its records show her picture has aired on local news from California to Texas, all the way to Massachusetts.

Interview with Shirley Johnson and Aunt Josie-
Missing girl's grandmother asks for help - YouTube

Interview with Mahogany Hightower (one of 4 cousins who cared for Jahessye)
http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/LaurieRoberts/146522

Clearly we have some differing opinions among family members about whether there was current abuse going on in the home, prior to Jahessye going missing.

Is that issue linked to her disappearance? I'm just not comfortable saying it is or isn't at this point. It would be completely normal for J to want to go home with the family members who raised her for four years. How heartbreaking for them to see her and have her beg them to take her home.

On that same train of thought. I see a possibility that perhaps Jahessye expressed these same feelings to Hunter. Hightower states that Jahessye was returned to Hunter on August 18, 2010. Eight months later when she saw Jahessye at a family bbq, she still wanted to go home with Hightower. It doesn't sound like Jahessye was adjusting well to living with Hunter. Would Hunter have handled this ok? Was there any counseling going on?

JMHO
fran

According to a Solano County Sheriff's report, Hunter's mother, Shirley Johnson, called police in October 2005, after her grandchildren told her they'd been abused by their mother and their new stepfather, George Shockley.
I'm confused as to why after reporting Hunter to police back in 2005, Johnson feels differently today? <mod snip>

This story answers many questions I had-

• Hunter was pregnant with Jahessye when she was charged with child abuse in California.

• According to a Solano County Sheriff's report, Hunter's mother, Shirley Johnson, called police in October 2005, after her grandchildren told her they'd been abused by their mother and their new stepfather, George Shockley. Police found the younger two girls, ages 3 and 7, with fresh welts and cuts. The 7-year-old was covered in scars, the kind that would be delivered by an electrical cord.

• The oldest, a then-14-year-old boy, told investigators that his mother routinely punched him and whipped him with sticks and that she also beat his sisters, usually with an extension cord, but he'd never told anyone. Hunter told him if he were to say anything, all of the children would be taken away and it would be his fault,” police wrote.

• Hunter pleaded no contest to four counts of corporal punishment of a child. She went to prison shortly after giving birth to Jahessye in Arizona. While the grandmother took custody of the older children in California, Hightower says she and three other cousins took Jahessye.

• Hunter served about half of her eight-year sentence before being paroled in May 2010, according to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. (Shockley remains in prison.) She was given unsupervised parole.

• Hightower says Hunter and the child who had been so severely beaten came to Arizona shortly after she was paroled. She says the mother wanted Jahessye and became angry when the four cousins wouldn't immediately hand her over. Hightower says Jahessye was returned to her mother on Aug. 18, 2010, after police showed up and said they had to surrender the child.

• Hightower said she talked with an Arizona CPS caseworker several times between February and early May (2011), to report the family's concerns that the two girls were being abused, including suspicions that Jahessye's two bottom teeth had been knocked out. She says the caseworker visited the older girl's school and Hunter's home but said there was nothing she could do. “She basically said that the kids told her there was no abuse,” Hightower said.

I still have one question that has not been answered. Who is the Father of the baby Hunter is pregnant with and did he live in the home? In the abuse case Hunter served prison time for, the Step-Father was involved in the abuse of the children ...

I'm confused as to why after reporting Hunter to police back in 2005, Johnson feels differently today? To further complicate things, I think Shirley Johnson also faced abuse charges with her own children?

Something has raised my hinky meter about the grandmother....(I am NOT saying I think she was involved in J's disappearance at all).....but I can't quite put my finger on it.

CNN Report: Do Missing White Babies Get More Media Coverage Than Minorities?
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-repo...bies-get-more-media-coverage-than-minorities/
Shockley had been missing for some time, and her family has implored the media for coverage, arguing that the fact that she is black has made her less attractive of a news story for national media. The family had contacted an advocate group, Peas in a Pod, for which guest Gaetane Borders spoke and explained to Holmes that the situation was not uncommon. &#8220;Any parent of a child that is missing who is of color understands the difference&#8221; in the efforts made to find the child, she argues.

BBM...I've never heard of this. Off to google

Welcome to Peas In Their Pods! (a typo in the news article said peas in a pod)
http://www.peasintheirpods.com/
Peas In Their Pods is a not-for-profit organization that provides a specific service to those who have missing loved ones. The organization is self-funded, and is comprised of a team of volunteers who work diligently to assist families during their time of greatest need.

We are here to help parents find their missing children.

We do not take the place of the Amber Alert System. We simply pick up where they leave off or never engage due to program criteria.

Peas In Their Pods Organizational goal takes pride in helping to find missing children of color, fight against child abuse, and provide information to the public.

http://www.wix.com/gaetane/gaetaneborders#!__bio
With her bubbly and feisty personality, Gaétane touches the lives of everyone she meets. Her experience is diverse, and her passion is unparelled. As one of Georgia's highly acclaimed School Psychologists, Gaétane has devoted her life to making an impact in the lives of families. She is an advocate of children rights, and works tirelessly to help parents achieve healthy, harmonious, and emotionally stable environments for children. As President of Peas in Their Pods, Gaétane helps to spread awareness about the epidemic of child abduction, and aims to arm parents with the knowledge necessary to prevent such tragedies.

I do not believe for a minute that this is anything but a MEDIA response. I fervently believe that LE puts the same amount of effort into finding the child no matter what race is involved. In this case, the criminal history of the mother and the family issues tend to make the media wary of the story. Unfortunately, the child deserves the sympathy and attention, but media shuns the story because of the FAMILY, certainly not fair....but also not fair to imply that LE does not try to find the child.

jmo

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnn-repo...bies-get-more-media-coverage-than-minorities/
Shockley had been missing for some time, and her family has implored the media for coverage, arguing that the fact that she is black has made her less attractive of a news story for national media. The family had contacted an advocate group, Peas in a Pod, for which guest Gaetane Borders spoke and explained to Holmes that the situation was not uncommon. “Any parent of a child that is missing who is of color understands the difference” in the efforts made to find the child, she argues.

They were tireless advocates for Phylicia Barnes, which was the first I had heard of them.

Is the grandma that is pleading for national media attention the same Grandma that was mentioned in the court docs by the Mom when she went to court for abusing her kids? Mom claimed she was abused also as a child or something like that?

Yes it is. It wouldn't surprise me if it were true because it seems like abuse is handed down generation to generation. But there are a lot of people that break the cycle, I think a lot of us end up here looking for justice praying that those who continue the cycle end up behind bars.

EDIT TO ADD: As difficult as it is to do I think the first priority is finding Jahessye. We know that her siblings are safe in CPS care right now and hopefully the media attention will ensure that along with Jahessye they will never be abused ever again.

Shockley had been missing for some time, and her family has implored the media for coverage, arguing that the fact that she is black has made her less attractive of a news story for national media. The family had contacted an advocate group, Peas in a Pod, for which guest Gaetane Borders spoke and explained to Holmes that the situation was not uncommon. “Any parent of a child that is missing who is of color understands the difference” in the efforts made to find the child, she argues.

This kind of thing worries me because my daughter is African American. I would hope I would get the same response if something were to happen to her as if it were one of my white children. But this story is a bit different. It appears as though this is some type of family situation rather than a stranger abduction. That makes me feel that they will find her alive and fairly well. I worry about the abuse, of course, but don't feel that whoever took her intended to kill her.

I pray they find this beautiful child soon and she will be safe.

Clearly we have some differing opinions among family members about whether there was current abuse going on in the home, prior to Jahessye going missing.

Is that issue linked to her disappearance? I'm just not comfortable saying it is or isn't at this point. It would be completely normal for J to want to go home with the family members who raised her for four years. How heartbreaking for them to see her and have her beg them to take her home.

On that same train of thought. I see a possibility that perhaps Jahessye expressed these same feelings to Hunter. Hightower states that Jahessye was returned to Hunter on August 18, 2010. Eight months later when she saw Jahessye at a family bbq, she still wanted to go home with Hightower. It doesn't sound like Jahessye was adjusting well to living with Hunter. Would Hunter have handled this ok? Was there any counseling going on?

It would be normal. Odds are she knows that JH/her father went to prison for abusing her siblings so she would know that reporting abuse would lead to living with Hightower again. Would a five year old be able manipulate a situation like that? Probably, but certainly not very well. Since she was not abused by JH and she never witnessed her siblings being abused, I don't know if she would be able to describe stuff like what was she abused with (phone cord, twigs etc.) and other specifics related to being abused unless JH was abusing her.

Also, where all the kids shuffled around to live with the cousins and grandma? I wonder if that has anything to do with being pulled from the home following Jahessye's disappearance? Has JH been talking realllllllly negatively about the cousins to the children? Was Jahessye the only child JH needed LE assistance in having them surrendered to her care? Is this why grandma isn't getting involved in the current abuse allegations so she can remain in their lives?

I hope that JH was receiving counseling, but since the abuse in '05 occurred in CA they would have to be the ones requiring JH receive counseling. It doesn't look like CA CPS is still involved with the family so that's unlikely. If it were a condition of JH's parole/probation would they have allowed her to leave CA?

I hope we hear good news today.

I do not believe for a minute that this is anything but a MEDIA response. I fervently believe that LE puts the same amount of effort into finding the child no matter what race is involved. In this case, the criminal history of the mother and the family issues tend to make the media wary of the story. Unfortunately, the child deserves the sympathy and attention, but media shuns the story because of the FAMILY, certainly not fair....but also not fair to imply that LE does not try to find the child.

jmo

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0762156.html

With all due respect, I think its impossible to say that racism isn't prevalent in our society today. I do think that these days all the "isms" are more covert than overt. Less media attention is an example of covert racism.

The above link indicates that 63.7% of America's are white. That would mean that in order to be a representative sample of our population 2 out of every 5 children abductions featured on JVM, NG and similar shows should involve victims that are people of color. I've never counted, but I don't think that is the case.

And that's not even taking into account that because of other forms of covert racism crime rates are higher in non-white populations. I would think that higher criminal rates in general involving minorities should equal higher rates of child abductions.

Then think about how this looks to Shirley. She knows covert forms of racism negatively affect african americans, she's seen it her entire life. Right now Phoenix LE is being called out for not doing everything it needs to do when investigating sex crimes against children. Arizona's CPS is being called out for letting children fall between the cracks. If all children are paying the price for these shortcomings, children of color are paying an even higher price.

I would think that the public is more likely to view parents who are not white as being responsible for their child's disappearance.

I would also think some of the prejudices involving crime affect people with a lower SES status regardless of their race.

Is it really possible that our justice system is the only system in our society that does not perpetuate institutional racism? Even if that were the case, unfortunately IMO when it comes to crime the more media attention a case receives, the more likely LE and CPS are to do everything they can to solve these crimes. Its why we do things like "bump" children up to the top of the forums and write to the media asking for them to do stories on the children.

I don't know. I'm a white upper middle class woman. I've never experienced what it like to be a person of color or from a lower SES. I do know what it is like to tell a man what it is like to experience sexism. Even if I don't see them rolling there eyes, I can see that they are saying to themselves, "OMG not THIS again...." even when I back my claims up with statistics like this:

That's because U.S. women still earned only 77 cents on the male dollar in 2008, according to the latest census statistics. (That number drops to 68% for African-American women and 58% for Latinas.)
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1983185,00.html#ixzz1bYbZT5H6

Of course not all men are clueless when it comes to sexism, but judging by the above numbers enough do to have serious effects on American women.

Little boys don't get the attention little girls get either. Its unfair that all missing children aren't in the media and I don't know what it is going to take to change this. I wish I did! It bothers me to no end...........

Jahessye is out there somewhere and God only knows where. I wonder if she's hungry, cold, hurt, alone. I wonder if she's being abused. I wonder if she's alive and I cry.

God please help us to find her! Please protect this precious little child.............

jmo

Raeann, I agree. I do think LE puts forth their greatest effort no matter the race of a child. But, we tend to measure the amount of activity in the investigation by the amount of media coverage. And, IMO, the media is influenced by public attitudes. As Daisy said, there is still much COVERT racism in this country. You rarely hear racist remarks while in public places, but look at public forums on the Internet and it's astonishing how much petty racial commentary there is. The media is primarily concerned with ratings/viewing/readership, so they publish what they feel is of the most interest to the general public.

Just because we're not seeing a lot of activity in the media doesn't mean there isn't a lot of activity in the investigation itself. With that said, I wonder at what point the FBI would be asked to join the investigation. The grandmother mentioned FBI involvement in the video posted by Lynnb, and since the FBI became involved in the disappearances of Kyron Horman and Holly Bobo, is it likely the FBI will eventually become involved in the investigation into Jahessye's disappearance if she's not found soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buzzerd