Deceased/Not Found AZ - Jhessye Shockley, 5, Glendale, 11 Oct 2011 - #3 *J. Hunter guilty*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering JH was receiving welfare funds for each child, I'm wondering what prompted JH to report Jhessye missing. She could have continued to receive those funds for Jhessye while making excuses for Jhessye's absence from school and from the home...such as claiming Jhessye went to live with her grandmother or one of many other relatives. That would not work for CPS, so I wonder if CPS had been in the home recently. I remember some discussion a while back about the cousins reporting recent abuse to CPS, but wasn't that a few months ago? Might the school have become suspicious of JH's claim that J was being kept home b/c she had ringworm, and reported their suspicions to CPS? If CPS had been in the home since J's alleged demise or just prior to J's disappearance and they planned a follow-up visit, this may have prompted JH to dispose of incriminating evidence, even if it meant taking a cut in welfare (the lesser of two "evils" when facing imprisonment for child abuse/murder).

Does anyone remember reading about when CPS last visited the home?

The cousin reported the abuse and Jerice was contacted in April 2011.

It was either the school or Shirley coming for a visit, MOO.

I pray Shirley is charged with something relating to this case and if so, I would think her nursing license would be revoked.

Totally with you knox, if she is charged it certainly ought to be.

I posted about that very thing upstream.

I actually remember reading it. But I didn't bother to look at all of the folks posting on her wall at the time... :innocent:

It's just such a contrast to the image I've formed of her through what I've seen and read in the media. I now really don't know what to think of her.

I just keep going back to this and scratching my head. Why would Shirley, the very person who turned Jerice in for the child abuse in 2005, give the children back to her? Illegally, no less?

<respectfully snipped>

IMO in the end these children just represented checks to Jerice and her mother.

CPS spoke to the children in Aprill 2011 after receiving a report from Ms. Hightower (a family member) that she suspected the children were being beaten. The CPS investigator asked the children if they were being abused and according to her report they denied any abuse. The case was subsequently closed with no followup. It is unclear if the investigation ever went so far as a home visit. :(

It is equally unclear if Jerice was receiving assistance for the children through AZ DHS. It is speculated that she was receiving aid for Jhessye through AZ and through CA via monies received by her mother, Shirley Johnson, who CPS in CA thought still had the older children. But that is all speculation and nothing official has been released about the specifics of what aid from what agencies may have been received by Jerice and how that happened.

Thanks, tlcox! Do you know how much communication there is between the schools and CPS? I believe this still leaves the possibility that the school contacted CPS about Jhessye's lengthy absence and they may have re-opened the file that was opened in April. A scheduled visit from CPS or threats from the school or family to report Jhessye's absence to CPS may have thrown a wrench into JH's - and, subsequently, SJ's - scheme.

I don't know how difficult it would be for CPS to re-open a closed file, but I have had my own files for health-related services, even one with a governmental agency, re-opened after being closed for several years, and with surprising ease.

My impression of Shirley is she is used to getting her way and a bit of a bully when she wants to be. I think she and Jerice have a very screwy dynamic. I cannot even begin to figure out why a woman would reportedly abuse her daughter. Then report that same daughter for abusing her own children. THEN turn around and return those very children to that daughter after that daughter's parental rights have been severed.

I would be very curious to know what Shirley's work friends knew or were told about why Shirley had the children in the first place and if they were aware that Shirley no longer had them. If so, what did Shirley tell them about where the children went and when?

I agree it is odd that Shirley seems to be so well thought of by friends and coworkers. But abuse flourishes behind closed doors and rarely takes place in a crowded public place.

<respectfully snipped>

IMO in the end these children just represented checks to Jerice and her mother.

I'm starting to think that as well. I also believe that Shirley kept getting the checks in CA and forwarding them AZ because they wanted to keep the whole arrangement with Jerice having the kids with her 'under the radar'. So they just laid low and left things as they were, so as not to rock the boat.

Thanks, tlcox! Do you know how much communication there is between the schools and CPS? I believe this still leaves the possibility that the school contacted CPS about Jhessye's lengthy absence and they may have re-opened the file that was opened in April. A scheduled visit from CPS or threats from the school or family to report Jhessye's absence to CPS may have thrown a wrench into JH's - and, subsequently, SJ's - scheme.

I don't know how difficult it would be for CPS to re-open a closed file, but I have had my own files for health-related services, even one with a governmental agency, re-opened after being closed for several years, and with surprising ease.

you may be right on the school CPS connection. Even if the school had not yet gotten suspicious, they were bound to eventually and that may have been Jerice's impetus to hide the body and come up with her cover story to explain little Jhessye's absence.

Even if CPS was not currently reopening their file, Jerice had to know it was a matter of time. This could very well have played a role in the timing of events.

Perhaps we'll eventually find out, too, just how the older children were treated while in g'ma's care.

Maybe SJ previously didn't realize her daughter would go to prison for abusing the children (unlikely, though). Or, maybe they had a falling out and SJ later felt remorse for turning in her daughter. There may have also been another witness to the abuse who was astonished that SJ didn't seem disturbed by it. So, maybe SJ turned in JH to salvage her own reputation, which Knox and others pointed out seems to change with the audience.

Considering JH was receiving welfare funds for each child, I'm wondering what prompted JH to report Jhessye missing. She could have continued to receive those funds for Jhessye while making excuses for Jhessye's absence from school and from the home...such as claiming Jhessye went to live with her grandmother or one of many other relatives. That would not work for CPS, so I wonder if CPS had been in the home recently. I remember some discussion a while back about the cousins reporting recent abuse to CPS, but wasn't that a few months ago? Might the school have become suspicious of JH's claim that J was being kept home b/c she had ringworm, and reported their suspicions to CPS? If CPS had been in the home since J's alleged demise or just prior to J's disappearance and they planned a follow-up visit, this may have prompted JH to dispose of incriminating evidence, even if it meant taking a cut in welfare (the lesser of two "evils" when facing imprisonment for child abuse/murder).

Does anyone remember reading about when CPS last visited the home?

It was probably a combination of things, but I truly believe that the imminent arrival of the new baby had to be making Jerice nervous. What was she planning to do with the kids when she went into labor? Who would be watching them? Would that person demand to know where Jhessye was? Or what the horrific smell in the closet was? How would she get around that?

In my mind, it was a sick version of the end of every pregnancy. An overwhelming fatigue and impatience (prompting the abuse and neglect) and then a burst of energy and cleaning and nesting - a need to get your house in order. I think as her due date approached, Jerice realized that she needed to get Jhessye out of the house and clean up her mess.

UGH.

is there a court doc online that JH said SJ abuse her to?

FWIW - Food City Grocery opens at 6:00 AM, the Walgreen's we think she went to, is a 24 hour store.

If she purchased the items at 6:16 AM, it's likely Food City was not open, hence buying at Walgreen's.
http://www.myfoodcity.com/index.php?Section=home

I drove through the area tonight and just wanted to let you guys know that the Food City is vacant, so the Walgreens would pretty much be her only choice for buying bleach at that time of the morning.

The cousin reported the abuse and Jerice was contacted in April 2011.

It was either the school or Shirley coming for a visit, MOO.

Yes, there was a catalyst...there always is. :-(

Thanx for the court links, Knox ~ It appears that this family certainly knows their way around the courtrooms of CA. Plaintiff/Defendant/Co-Defendant cases covering Paternity, Welfare Child Support REimbursements, Domestic Violence - wow. Who'd a thunk it? Guess that courtroom exposure explains the defiant attitudes.

I just keep going back to this and scratching my head. Why would Shirley, the very person who turned Jerice in for the child abuse in 2005, give the children back to her? Illegally, no less?

Does anyone know what Shirley's middle name is or even what her legal name is? I have seen reference to a couple of names.

ETA- My link doesn't hold the search terms. Use this link to search ... http://www2.dca.ca.gov/pls/wllpub/wllqryna$lcev2.startup?p_qte_code=RN&p_qte_pgm_code=7800
And this is the company she is employed by, CPMC - http://www.cpmc.org/

BBM-

Maybe I'm late on this, but I'm guessing it could be "Ann", based on a few things.

Out of curiosity, I checked the nursing licenses in Arizona and California last week. (I couldn't remember if it was mentioned that Shirley once lived in Arizona or not.) Quite a few of them from both states are either expired/lapsed or the person is deceased.

There's a Shirley Ann Johnson who was an LPN in Arizona, whose license is expired. Then there's a Shirley Ann Johnson who is an RN in California (Solano County), whose license is active.

From her Facebook page it says she went to college in California. I'm just surmising, but I mention the LPN license, because you don't need a degree for that. So maybe she did that first, then later moved to California and went back to school to become an RN. I'm also an RN and that's how I did mine. So seeing the name listed as an LPN kind of stood out to me.

Also, based on the court documents in Solano County, when you search for Shirley Johnson, several of them come up. And at least one document has all her aliases listed, with 3 or 4 different last names. But they all have "Ann" as the middle name.

Did I lose anyone yet?? :crazy: LOL

And FWIW, per the Board of Nursing in my state, one can be denied or lose a license for a whole slew of things...from harboring a fugitive, to forging checks, to murder...they even have Medicaid fraud specifically listed. So if Shirley was involved in collecting checks along with Jerice, I have a feeling her days as a health provider are numbered. :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayrider129