AZ - Kiera Bergman, 19, Glendale, 4 August 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Appears one set of remains found this month were not identified...and not identified as Kiera... This young woman was found near 7th st and Deer Valley. But the description could have been her...imo

Unidentified Person Case

Odd I posted this morning and it disappeared. Keira is only 5'3". The remains are 5'7-5'9

Can our posting attorney answer this question please? What are the legalities for LE in terms of saying someone is a suspect, and/or a POI? How does that work?
I'm not an attorney but had a career in Criminal Justice.

LE follows the Authorised Professional Practice guidance produced by the College of Policing.

There are occasions where information can be proactively released if it would aid an investigation. This information can include:
The allegation/ offense
The date information received
Which unit is investigating
Any arrests
Any interviews under caution (this means Once police have grounds to suspect someone of an offense, the person must be cautioned before being asked any further questions. Unless this is done, the suspect's answers, or silence, cannot be used in court.)
Any bail to return, charges, and/or relevant appeal points.

Unless there is an exceptional circumstance or legitimate policing purpose, the police should not name those who are suspected of a crime. However, the police can release details of the nature, date and general location of the alleged offence. The police can also release an arrested person’s gender, age, the town or city where they live and disposal (i.e. whether they have been released pending further investigation or whether no further action should be taken). These exemptions do not apply where the release of this information would have the effect of confirming a suspect’s identity.

The police do not prevent the media from attempting to identify a suspect by outside sources but if the media put a name to the police in an attempt to confirm whether an arrest has been made, then the police should neither confirm nor deny.

When a person is charged the police will name a suspect unless there are reporting restrictions in place or exceptional or legitimate policing purposes. When the investigation is into a crime of a serious nature (the examples given are investigations into rape or murder) the police will take a proactive approach in releasing charging information.

A news update from this afternoon, on the AZ Central news site:

It has been three weeks since 19-year-old Kiera Bergman was last seen at a Phoenix apartment complex, but for the first time, police are saying "foul play" may be involved in her disappearance. [snipped]

Clark had been scheduled to be released from jail Saturday while the Maricopa County Attorney's Office reviewed the case. However, Sgt. Bryant Vanegas, a Maricopa County Sheriff's Office spokesman, said Clark was charged with a probation violation right before he was to be released Saturday. [snipped]

Phoenix police have said Clark is not a suspect in Bergman's disappearance despite being the last person to see her before she disappeared.

“Clearly this may indicate a shift in the investigation," said Sgt. Vince Lewis with Phoenix police, adding police continue to work to determine what crime might have occurred.

Kiera Bergman disappearance: Police now suspect foul play

It has been three weeks since 19-year-old Kiera Bergman was last seen at a Phoenix apartment complex, but for the first time, police are saying "foul play" may be involved in her disappearance. [snipped]

Clark had been scheduled to be released from jail Saturday while the Maricopa County Attorney's Office reviewed the case. However, Sgt. Bryant Vanegas, a Maricopa County Sheriff's Office spokesman, said Clark was charged with a probation violation right before he was to be released Saturday. [snipped]

Phoenix police have said Clark is not a suspect in Bergman's disappearance despite being the last person to see her before she disappeared.

“Clearly this may indicate a shift in the investigation," said Sgt. Vince Lewis with Phoenix police, adding police continue to work to determine what crime might have occurred.

Foul play suspected. That's awful. I really hope Kiera is found safe and sound.

I'm happy Clark is still being held. I have a feeling he would disappear if released. As for the other 2 roommates, I hope LE is keeping a close eye on them.

This case has really been weighing on me from Day 1. I don’t know why.

Another thing I find concerning is that one of the articles IIRC mentions that Clark sent a text around 1:05 or so asking Kiera where she went. I’ll have to find it because it seems like he texted her that not long after she left. YET LE has only said she was last seen “sometime” on Saturday. I find it odd no time frame was given, however broad. We know Kiera left work early, and didn’t coworkers see Clark picking her up in the parking lot? Did it ever say what time?

It would be helpful to be able to narrow the timeline down. Seems like LE may not believe Clark...unless he was impaired by drugs or something he probably gave his best guesstimate (or if he’s involved, a time that lent credence to his story).

Forgive me if I’ve missed something, but the last I recall is that LE said she was last seen “sometime on Saturday”. Perhaps they suspect or found out that Clark never took her home in the first place? IDK, maybe I’m reading too much into it.

JMO and musings...

I want to say the last message anyone received from Kiera was at 1:54 pm on Saturday, but I might be wrong.

I think that might’ve been the text to DHC, her roommate? Not sure.

But what I’m wondering about is how vague LE is being about the last time Kiera was actually seen. It would fall into the range of after the co-workers saw Clark pick her up, up until the time Clark said he last saw her. Because AFAIK no witnesses saw her leaving the house. Or entering the house, for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1