Baez' "other" murder trial...who and what were results?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is going to be something to keep an eye on, isn't it? If this verdict is overturned due to ineffective counsel, it's going to be fascinating to see how JB spins it. Here's a uqestion for you all - if it is overturned and ineffective counsel is cited as the 'prime reason' does the client get to ask for his money back from JB? :)

God, doesn't this sound familiar? Baez has said "we'll all be surprised"

(snip)
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ey-anthony-lawyer-baez-032709,0,4266860.story

In documents seeking a new trial and other post-conviction relief, Diaz said "...Mr. Baez wanted to surprise the prosecution, and the surprise blew up in the defense's face."

I bet that good ol' Jose isn't running around with that stupid "s*it eattin" grin on his face after this came out today. I think that every case he has ever handled needs to be looked at.. Who knows how many other surprises he tried pulling that fell short of his "expectations"... Sure glad I was never one of this clients... but I have to say that I'm glad KC is... Those two deserve each other..

Before I decide how to react, I would like to know whether Diaz is representing himself in this matter or if he's represented by a licensed attorney in good standing with the Florida bar. (In other words not a jailhouse attorney or attorney who is in jail. LOL.)

watch baez say that the prosecutors in casey's case have gotten to this guy and talked him into filing this. there is a conspiracy against him since he's such a good lawyer you know.

I personally want Baez to go down. Anyone with that type of Cheshire canary eating grin is enough to burn anyone with a jury.

watch baez say that the prosecutors in casey's case have gotten to this guy and talked him into filing this. there is a conspiracy against him since he's such a good lawyer you know.

The timing of it caused me to think the same thing at first, but then as SuziQ pointed out, it's worth noting in this case (if nothing else) that JB has made the same "surprise" stall tactic defense in each of his two murder cases.

I personally want Baez to go down. Anyone with that type of Cheshire canary eating grin is enough to burn anyone with a jury.

Not me. I want the state to cover all the bases to make sure there is not reason for an appeal...and I want Baez to be Casey's lawyer through it all. My worst nightmare would be for Casey to get some kind of smarmy, kill-throat lawyer who could weasel a "not guilty" out of the trial. I love Baez....he's just good enough so "ineffective counsel" can't be used, but bad enough that he'll lose the case. Casey's perfect lawyer, IMO.

Not me. I want the state to cover all the bases to make sure there is not reason for an appeal...and I want Baez to be Casey's lawyer through it all. My worst nightmare would be for Casey to get some kind of smarmy, kill-throat lawyer who could weasel a "not guilty" out of the trial. I love Baez....he's just good enough so "ineffective counsel" can't be used, but bad enough that he'll lose the case. Casey's perfect lawyer, IMO.

I can be patient and wait til AFTER Caylee's case. Casey is a goner with him at the helm imo.

So do I!!!! This pompous little incompetent demanding this & that & maligning the Prosecution! Sheesh!:furious:

Before I decide how to react, I would like to know whether Diaz is representing himself in this matter or if he's represented by a licensed attorney in good standing with the Florida bar. (In other words not a jailhouse attorney or attorney who is in jail. LOL.)

I hope a good qualified Defense attorney may see this, & maybe take it on pro bono for a variety of reasons;)

The article says that Diaz asserts the state gave him the maximum sentence for not taking a plea. Guess they were "mad" at him. Does that sound familiar? Wonder how the only two defendants JB has had in a murder trial can come up with the same chip on their shoulders regarding what they consider the "motives" of the prosecution?

What bothers me the most about this case is...
I think there are people out that that have been wrongly convicted and prosecuted, however Casey is not one of them. I think there are defintely people that have been convicted and are truly remorseful and regret the crime.
WHY...WHY does Casey end up with attorneys and experts that would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars!?!
WHY...Do people feel the need to send thousands of dollars to organizations like Kid Finders or NLHF? WHY when there are other organizations that would do the right thing for children!?! $30,000 for a boat! You have got to be kidding me! No parent is going to turn to the Anthonys for support or anything else!
WHY...Do people feel the need to send money to Casey in jail!?! There are so many animals out there that could benefit from that money. There are out there in our own neighborhoods that go to bed hungry because of the hard times!
WHY...Is there any sympathy out there for Casey or the Anthonys?
You want to have sympathy...have it for Baez's wife! First off her husband is fugly...rolly polly chins, man boobies...UGH! Then he has the nerve to be courting Casey (like that courting) I made a funny. How can she be proud of the man she married? How can she be proud of the work that he does or the man that he is? (I use the term man loosely) To her I say "Honey, if Geraldo thinks you are a beauty...move on".

The article says that Diaz asserts the state gave him the maximum sentence for not taking a plea. Guess they were "mad" at him. Does that sound familiar? Wonder how the only two defendants JB has had in a murder trial can come up with the same chip on their shoulders regarding what they consider the "motives" of the prosecution?

~snipped from article linked in the OP

The filing also contends that Nacke, who presided over the trial, and Assistant State Attorney Bill Gross, who prosecuted the case, were "working friends" who entered into a "silent pact…to inflict the most severe punishment allowable by law" on Diaz for rejecting a pre-trial plea-bargain offer.
I noticed this too.

JB is perfect for this he has been involved from day one, someone besides the state picking up the tab. There is no nanny. He actually let JM go on with the civil trial so even more gets to come out,more excellent lawyers and really don't they just make it more fun. Usually to have this many heavy hitters in the courtroom OJ would have to be involved and no taxpayer money.Nothing but the best,but we all know and so does everyone else KC is guilty.By the looks of the last motions hearing the SA is not very happy with Mr.Biaz either. It should be very interesting.We will see all these people at thier best...........

Yep, I can imagine JB saying something like that.

It will be interesting to hear more about what happens regarding this claim.

I remember when the local news reported how Baez was late for his clients sentencing because he was with Casey Anthony.

"Eyewitness News also learned that Baez was almost an hour late for the sentencing of his client, Nilton Diaz, in a Lake County child abuse death the day Anthony was released the first time. That same day, Baez shoved a reporter. He also kept the Lake County judge, the victim's family and witnesses waiting. When he arrived, he made no apology."

I just wonder- how do you get up in the morning, go into to work thinking to yourself - my job today is to defend someone accused of murdering a child....and if they are convicted then my goal is to get the most lenient sentence for them....?
I love the Constitution, and I know there are protections in there for people to be assumed innocent etc- but he HAS to know she is guilty of this crime.... so what is it that motivates these defense attorneys? A game against the Prosecution? Just scoring a win against the odds? To hear them explain it they try to sound so noble- innocent until proven yadayada .... but how on earth do they sleep at night trying to get these terrible criminals off?

Could someone please set me straight? I thought it confirmed months ago that he is NOT qualified to do a murder trial, and therefore brought the appropriate counsel onto his team (uck, don't get me started on any of them . . .). If that's true, how the heck did he have a previous murder trial?

BTW, did anyone else laugh at this, because I got a good chuckle:

This is obviously just a case of a bitter, scorned man....after repeated attempts, JB refused to eat licorice with him like he allegedly did with Casey.

:D

http://www.wesh.com/news/17030505/detail.html

"In 2006, Baez took on Elvira Garcia as a client.
Garcia was accused of kidnapping her roommate's 6-week-old baby.
Police found the infant safe in Kissimmee.
Garcia claimed the baby was hers, authorities said. "

http://www.wesh.com/news/9937185/detail.html

"Investigators are trying to sort out if the baby was kidnapped. The infant's mother told police that she and Garcia got into an argument on Tuesday morning and Garcia told her that she wasn't fit to raise the baby. She said Garcia hit her and took off with the 45-day-old infant.

Hmm that last part sounds familiar.

Could someone please set me straight? I thought it confirmed months ago that he is NOT qualified to do a murder trial, and therefore brought the appropriate counsel onto his team (uck, don't get me started on any of them . . .). If that's true, how the heck did he have a previous murder trial?

BTW, did anyone else laugh at this, because I got a good chuckle:

:D

He isn't qualified to do a death penalty case in Florida but he can do a murder case without the death penalty on the table. Looks like KC didn't look into her attorney's background very well. Wonder if she's heard about this yet. Probably won't matter to her though. She seems to think it's all a game anyway. I just hope that case doesn't affect this one. :eek:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back