GUILTY Bali - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, found dead in suitcase, 12 Aug 2014 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I admire William Wiese. He has behaved with admirable dignity and compassion, even in the darkest hours. He remembers his sister with love and clearly wants Stella to live a happy life, in spite of her monstrous parents who have brought tragedy to all who cared about Sheila.

Tonight, with my tabbies, I drink a toast to William Wiese, Debbie Curran, and their families as well as all the friends of Sheila and of James Mack.

May your happy memories sustain you.

[I'm sipping Merlot. I've broken out some tuna water for the kitties.]

So William Weise is back behind the wheel!

Appears that way. There hasn't been anything filed by Benjamin Mackoff, the interim trustee, since 12/6/16 when there was an agreed order entered by all parties in the case. So perhaps that's when they all agreed to reinstate WW as the trustee? Although Mackoff is still listed as a party at the beginning of the case file. Hard to say for sure. I guess we'll have to see if he files anything else, in which case we'll know he's still around and is still the interim trustee.

MOO

https://w3.courtlink.lexisnexis.com...v=&caseno=&PLtype=1&sname=mack+heather&CDate=

Cheers to William Wiese, a class act in a very difficult situation.

He's also intelligent enough to know what things cost in Bali. Presumably he will be generous with the money he provides for Stella's needs (very inexpensive by US standards), while not being so generous that Oshar has any 'leftover' cash for HM.

I can't find a link right now, but I believe Australian citizens in Bali prisons get a monthly stipend from their government - about $150, I think. I also believe that the men's side is divided between the foreigners and the Indonesians. At least in the foreigner section, I think there's dorm housing unless you have the money for a private or semi-private cell. I think the two Bali Nine who were executed had private cells and Julian Ponder had just a single room mate.

Some weird stuff in the DM article, for sure. I don't know what to make about TS being with the Indonesians or his raving that he's some kind of prophet, although the latter, if true, is probably drugs talking.

Slightly OT, but Kerobokan has shut Myu Sukumaran's art studio down - one less option for stress release or rehabilitation.

FigTree, many thanks for posting Tommy's ramblings in their entirety. I recall reading them way-back-when. Then, as now, I'm struck by how "off point" his remarks are. They seemed to me then as entirely self-serving and my view has not changed reading them again some months later.

What a load of rubbish from Tommy Schaefer.

In a few separate posts, I'll comment on his evasions, prevarications, self pity, justifications, stupidity, and outright lies.

It is instructive, however, to see him really attacking Heather. You can't read his letter without understanding that the one thing he really knows is that she is evil.

Too little, too late.

To read Tommy Schaefer's complete
Facebook post of 10 October 2016,
see FigTree's post #2115 upthread.​

Comments on Tommy Schaefer's
October 2016 Facebook post -- Part 1

1. He cannot bring himself to explicitly admit he committed murder. Until he does this, he is not a man seeking truth, but a man proffering excuses.

2. His attacks on Heather, while close to entirely true, are waged solely on his own behalf -- with motivations like envy, anger, spite, revenge, remorse at being caught and convicted, distress with his own poverty, getting even, and so on.

3. He elevates his own suffering over all others, not just the dead (Sheila), but the living (Stella).

He repeatedly mopes over his own suffering: "I know what its like to lose everything."

And, "I’m not sure how she [Heather] is having such a good time in jail ... I certainly am not..." And, referring to himself, "...its taken everything you’ve ever had or dreamed of away."

4. His account is laced with pure lies: "I never believed that this little girl really had the balls to kill someone."

"I just happened to be the boyfriend at the time this all transpired."

"I never wanted to be a part of this but my association with her is the main reason of why I am where I am today."

One word only: lies.

5. He admits that his own pride has interfered with his relationship with Stella. Even if Heather has behaved atrociously as a gatekeeper to Stella, Tommy is too immature and self-centered to swallow the bitter pill and do the right thing for his child. "Seeing her [Heather] in the prison puts me in excruciating pain. Unbearable enough that I choose not to be too close with Stella."

So instead, he complains about Heather, ignoring what his pride has done to his relationship with his daughter: "She uses the baby to control me, to do things for her, to act like im in love, to make a fool out of me, and to manipulate my genuine concern for others."

Further, "I have to swallow my pride if I want to play a role in Stella’s life." And rather than than swallow his pride, we know that he went weeks without seeing Stella. Way to go, Tommy! Schaefer pride intact!

6. "I truly hate being in the news personally, but more so because there are huge and much more important issues that we must tend to as a society that were not making progress on."

Leave Tommy alone. He is a murderer who doesn't like attention.

7. This document exists primarily as an attempt to divert blame from himself onto Heather. I have no doubt that Heather is as guilty as Tommy, quite likely more so. Even very much more so. But Heather's guilt does not eradicate Tommy's. He pretends otherwise.

see FigTree's post #2115 upthread.

October 2016 Facebook post -- Part 2

8. He opens his statement by saying that he wants Heather to answer for what she has done. This is belied by the fact that he won't tell us: (a) what the two of them planned and then enacted in Bali; and (b) why he didn't tell the truth at the trial. The reason for this is clear: (a) he was promised money, which promise he gladly accepted; and (b) he was promised something post-trial, money, a lighter sentence via corruption, a cushy prison term, or the like.

Nothing could be clearer than this: Tommy cannot tell the truth about Heather without telling the truth about himself. He refuses to do the latter and therefore cannot do the former.

9. He talks a lot about the truth, but never offers any truth to Sheila's family. Talk, talk, talk: "I’m writing this to clear confusion ..." "The world deserves to know the truth ..."

"Believe me."

"I’ve said the truth about my feelings ..." (Just how many of us ever cared about his feelings? This is further proof that this letter is all about him, not about anyone he has hurt.)

10. He promises to ease the burden of Sheila's family: "For the rest of my life I owe and pledge to the Von Wiese family and friends every drop of sweat I can produce to make things a little easier to swallow. Something good has to come from this. I will die trying to make that happen. To the Von Wiese family I give you more life. 100% I will do all that is in my power to bring some sort of comfort in an impossible place."

And what has he done to date? Sod all. He actually thinks writing crap like this is some kind of comfort to Sheila's family. The first thing he could do for the family is tell the truth about the murder. I expect he will die before this happens. But not die trying, as he cruelly promises.

11. "...holding myself 100% accountable for my role in this tragedy is very important to me..."

No comment needed.

12. "The family of Sheila deserves the utmost respect and closure after a tragedy such as this. Anything less should be considered an act of heartlessness and pure ignorance."

Closure requires knowing what happened. When will you tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about that, Tommy? Or are you heartless, to use your own term? Do you even care?

13. He works as hard as he can to establish his own goodness, invoking yet another dead woman who cannot speak for herself: his girlfriend Rachel. How many dead women can he abuse for his own ends?

14. "The truth will be told when it is safe to explain everything I witnessed." Shameful, minimizing behavior. He only witnessed events???

15. What's with the weird money pledge? "... I will sign absolutely any document saying I should not benefit in any way at all from this crime. Signing away my rights to money that’s not mine and never was mine is extremely easy."

Is he genuinely so stupid as to think he needs to sign some document? Does he honestly believe that any of Heather's promises to pay him for committing a murder need to be officially cancelled?

October 2016 Facebook post -- Part 3

16. He pretends to understand "the universe" but cannot comprehend that Sheila's family and friends have no interest whatever in his New Age ramblings or half-baked attempts at restaurant-table philosophy.

17. His lack of concern for Stella shines through loud and clear with this idiotic statement: "Stella has plenty of relatives on both her mom and dads side who would love to take care of her ..."

Besides your mom, name even one. Can you do that Tommy? Have you followed your daughter's life so scantily that you don't even know there is absolutely no one on Sheila's side of the family willing to do this? Do you not understand why?

And on your side, who is there besides your mother?

18. The document is overflowing with self pity and concerns over minor matters (the bags under his eyes, for one) while interjecting only very occasional words of hollow concern for Sheila's family.

19. In spite of offering nothing, particularly no admission beyond vaguely causing harm and feeling guilt (a source of his own suffering which he loses no chance to invoke), he repeatedly speaks of forgiveness. He is desperate to seek a forgiveness he has not earned.

"... I believe in forgiveness to the utmost extent. I think forgiveness is the only way to deal with how selfish we really are." (At least he tacitly admits his selfishness.)

"who would I be to ask for forgiveness of some sort, and not give it in return?" (Who wants his forgiveness anyway?)

"It even sounds crazy to me but I forgive you Heather Mack (the last time ill ever say your name again) I forgive you because I have too much work to do for the people I have hurt." Does that even sound like forgiveness? And even if it did, who cares? One murderer forgiving another? Yuck.

20. He has the gall to repeatedly speak of his own embarrassment: "How embarrassing can it get?"

"In hopes that you think I have some dignity still."

"I cant apologize or say sorry for something like this. The embarrassment is insurmountable ..."

21. He suggests there are reasons for what he has done which cannot be told now. If he cannot now provide those reasons, then he should explain clearly why not, and when they will be forthcoming. He cannot do this, and instead dissembles.

22. He writes, "I only dream to be exonerated from this gremlins life..." The single thing I understand in that statement is a wish to be exonerated. He knows, and we know, that is not possible. His aim is not only self-centered, but futile.

Slightly OT, but Kerobokan has shut Myu Sukumaran's art studio down - one less option for stress release or rehabilitation.

I'm very unhappy to hear that. And I'm sure the great artists who visited that studio and supported Myu and the prison artists will feel the same.

Sometimes new ideas don't survive after the founder has left. If that's the case here, then we have yet another reason to admire Myu's work in Kerobokan and yet another reason to wonder how inmates with such dedication cannot be considered rehabilitated and thus spared the death penalty.

It's hard to understand why it was shut down. Myu had hand-picked and readied his replacement, an Iranian who was already leading the computer rehab and t-shirt printing programs. After the April riots last year, he was moved to another prison along with a number of other prisoners, and the program was then shut down.

Thanks for an excellent analysis of TS's 'non-apology tour'.

I'm curious about the DM's source for the piece sympathetic to TS. On re-reading, it sounds to me like perhaps the person who actually wrote it might not be a native English speaker. The way he talks about the 'westerners' who are 'higher up on the committee' sounds like the voice of someone who is not a 'westerner'. I also thought that the language was curious, almost as though a translator was being used. I can't speak for Aussie or Kiwi or UK speech, but I can't imagine an American referring to someone getting beaten up with 'blocks of wood'. Pieces of wood, or sticks or two-by-fours or bats - but not blocks (unless they really were 'blocks').

It definitely sounded like a thinly-disguised plea for money. Beatings and solitary confinement and relocating sleeping accommodations has nothing to do with him suddenly not getting the $400+ monthly he has apparently been getting up till now. Also no mention of why KW wouldn't send emergency funds.

Hey all!

Hope you have a happy life, and won't have to see your so-called mother in jail too often Stella! Hoping OS goes back on her word and keeps Stella after 10 years!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Stella.jpg
    Stella.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 91
Orange Tabby wrote:

"But given Tommy's past drug history, a report of "strange behavior," and his gnawing envy of how much better Heather manages than he does, I don't rule out that he could have lashed out without provocation."

I honestly believe Tommy has had violent tendencies all along. I don't believe HM was solely responsible for SvWM's murder, I think TS & HM acted together. Who beat Sheila to death? TS? HM? Or both? I suspect it happened the way TS testified in court, with HM helping more than she admitted to at the time.

I'm reminded of a video published which showed HM & TS leaving the court in the prison van right after the sentencing. TS was lashing out and HM was trying to calm him down.

I'm not surprised he has been beaten up in Kerobokan. TS has as much "attitude" as HM in my opinion.

Orange Tabby wrote:

"What do you -- and other Websleuths reading here -- make of the Daily Mail claim that there were prison crackdowns because of Heather? Would they punish the men because of what one American woman was doing which reportedly happens with tacit approval by guards? I don't know enough about this prison to evaluate that accusation."

I imagine the recent video where HM "confesses" to murdering her mother and "absolves" TS of the crime caused a lot of trouble in the prison. Didn't HM later claim that TS had made the video and forced her to release it? This kind of bad publicity must cause resentment amongst other inmates, especially if the prison authorities take it out on everybody because of it.

There is also resentment amongst the prison population in these S.E. Asian prisons if inmates feel that someone is getting preferential treatment. Also, any kind of publicity causes crackdowns from the prison authorities. I know this from a case in Thailand which I have been following.

ajaylee wrote:

"Any guesses as to why Oshar is doing this?

I know it's possible she (and her family) are just good people who tolerate a nasty mother for the sake of an innocent child. I can't see any money advantage in it for them, and they don't seem to be looking for publicity."

Hmmm, from the recent article in People:

“More than two years ago I opened up my heart to Heather and Stella and today we open up our home to Stella who I will love as my own,” Suartama tells PEOPLE not long after she completed the hour-long drive from the prison to her family’s home. “This isn’t goodbye. Stella and her mom will continue their precious bond for the years to come.”

The article also states that Oshar "soon began bringing food and prenatal vitamins to the expectant mother and paying for her medical care."

I'm sorry but I find Oshar's attachment to HM rather strange given all the publicity surrounding this case. Surely she knows HM is a monster. On the other hand, it's a well-known phenomenon that people sometimes form attachments to prison inmates who have committed serious crimes.

http://people.com/crime/heather-mack-daughter-turned-over-guardian-bali-prison-suitcase-murder/

So what did People pay for those interviews and "exclusive" photos and that they obviously got from OS? Since HM can't profit from her crime, who is to say that OS can't?

MOO

Don't know....but it appears Oshar already has money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kamille wrote:

So who are the "westerners" he was supposed to be having trouble with? Do we know of any other US men in the prison? I know of one Canadian. Are the other "westerners" supposed to be South Americans? Do they include the British and Australian prisoners as "westerners"?

When the Daily Mail writes "westerners" in connection with Kerobokan prison it means anybody who is not Asian. So, yes, that includes South American, British and Australian prisoners. There is currently at least one British drugs lord doing time in Kerobokan.

Kamille wrote:

So who are the "westerners" he was supposed to be having trouble with? Do we know of any other US men in the prison? I know of one Canadian. Are the other "westerners" supposed to be South Americans? Do they include the British and Australian prisoners as "westerners"?

When the Daily Mail writes "westerners" in connection with Kerobokan prison it means anybody who is not Asian. So, yes, that includes South American, British and Australian prisoners. There is currently at least one British drugs lord doing time in Kerobokan.

We have several members of our 'Bali Nine' in there, too. At least 3 that I know of.
Not sure how many Aussies are in there right now, but we don't seem to stay out of trouble in Bali ... there is always ½ a joint, or a few pills, or a kilo of heroin (!!!) to get us in trouble there.

I can't find a link right now, but I believe Australian citizens in Bali prisons get a monthly stipend from their government - about $150, I think. I also believe that the men's side is divided between the foreigners and the Indonesians. At least in the foreigner section, I think there's dorm housing unless you have the money for a private or semi-private cell. I think the two Bali Nine who were executed had private cells and Julian Ponder had just a single room mate.

BBM

... the Australian Government gives them $125 a month as an allowance for food ....
http://kathrynbonella.com/media/bali-nine-mum-funded-sons-habit-in-kerobokan-prison/

We also help with legal representation, if they need it.

The Australian Government offered the services of two Queen's Counsel on a pro-bono basis.
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Schapelle_Corby

Thanks, SouthAussie! I knew I read it somewhere, but I couldn't seem to find the right search terms to find it later.

I was poking around a bit, curious how many westerners are in Kerobokan. I don't know how many there are in the women's area, but in the men's side, I found figures (a few years old) of 55 and 24, much smaller than I expected, given the overall size of the prison. I have read in the past that none of the riots spread to the foreign men's section or the women's section. It was strictly between local gangs.

I guess TS could have been kicked out temporarily by his cellmates or he could have moved voluntarily to get away from them. The western accommodations are generally better than the local cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18