Berkeley protest of Milo Yiannopoulos turns violent, event cancelled - live video

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't fall for the bait.

A good response to this speaker might have been an empty auditorium. Hard to spread vile words if no one is there to hear them.

jmo

Don't fall for the bait.

A good response to this speaker might have been an empty auditorium. Hard to spread vile words if no one is there to hear them.

jmo

simply brilliant idea!!

there would have tho been people who would pay to hear his craziness

no wonder why he is a pissed off person

I have never heard a gay person talk about what an abomination we are --I have issues - hating myself for being gay has never been on my bucket list! Ever!!! ha

like Omar - intense internalized self-loathing

- so hey if you can get paid to spew anger (therapy better!) why not !

Don't fall for the bait.

jmo

Exactly! They didn't have to go and listen to him, they were aware,(for the most part) what he would say/talk about. All they did was bring attention to him.

When I have the TV on and I don't like to see/hear what I don't want to see/hear I turn the channel, it's very easy to do. As far as tolerance goes I guess it's a one way street in their minds. Maybe it's the teachers that should be looked at as to what they are teaching these students. jmo idk

Exactly! They didn't have to go and listen to him, they were aware,(for the most part) what he would say/talk about. All they did was bring attention to him.

When I have the TV on and I don't like to see/hear what I don't want to see/hear I turn the channel, it's very easy to do. As far as tolerance goes I guess it's a one way street in their minds. Maybe it's the teachers that should be looked at as to what they are teaching these students. jmo idk

IMO, this kind of rhetoric is not constructive. When engaging in online discussion, I make sure not to use broad stroke stereotyping of Conservatives ("they're all nazis! they hate minorities!"). As a Liberal, seeing someone say "tolerance is a one way street for them" will immediately turn me off the discussion.

I do like petting puppies and coloring though.

IMO, this kind of rhetoric is not constructive. When engaging in online discussion, I make sure not to use broad stroke stereotyping of Conservatives ("they're all nazis! they hate minorities!"). As a Liberal, seeing someone say "tolerance is a one way street for them" will immediately turn me off the discussion.

I do like petting puppies and coloring though.

Were the actions of the protesters showing tolerance? I'm not a conservative but am of german decent on my fathers side. I believe in a woman's right to abortion. I am not a racist either. There should have been an area for the people that didn't agree with him to peacefully protest, but the people that wanted to hear him should have been able to attend the event.

bbm I as well.

The best way to handle someone like MY is to actually attend his event and bring an army of articulate and compassionate friends who are knowledgeable about the issues he speaks on. He will engage with the audience because his ego thinks he can demolish anyone in debate. But that can be his downfall as there is always someone more articulate. Laugh him out of the auditorium and get it on video. JMO

why does it do this :

conservative ********* journalist Milo

I believe there are a number of websites or sources that cannot be mentioned. If they are, they are automatically asterisked like this.

Why would you punish UC Berkeley for the actions of some protesters? UC Berkeley scheduled the appearance in the name of free speech facing what they knew would be an enormous backlash.

Flawed logic. So obvious! Bad!

Perhaps to force the university to take draconian action against those who riot, eg "sending down" or expelling them, or ensuring that they are criminally prosecuted, instead of burying their heads in the sand and taking no real action against those involved. Protesting peacefully is one thing, violent riot is another.

Here in the UK we used to have The Riot Act. It gave the authorities the right to declare a violent protest a riot (aka "reading the Riot Act"), and then give the rioters 30 minutes to clear the streets. After that the authorities, often the local militia, were permitted to start shooting to kill.

Colloquially we still say we "read the riot act" to someone when we're really angry with them.

The best way to handle someone like MY is to actually attend his event and bring an army of articulate and compassionate friends who are knowledgeable about the issues he speaks on. He will engage with the audience because his ego thinks he can demolish anyone in debate. But that can be his downfall as there is always someone more articulate. Laugh him out of the auditorium and get it on video. JMO

Here's an op-ed from 1/24/17 that has alternatives to protesting a speaker like MY, including buying tickets to the event and not showing up.

http://www.berkeleyside.com/2017/01...os-alt-right-dont-deserve-protest-encourages/

Think of Yiannopoulos not as a journalist or political commentator, but an entertainer. And liberal outrage is a vital part of his theater. Loud protesters only feed his appetite for attention and validate his supporters’ claims that protestors and complaints against his events are attempting to suppress their right to free speech. In fact, the Berkeley College Republicans have taken to calling themselves “The New Free Speech Movement.” They even use an image from a November 1964 free speech march at Berkeley campus as the cover photo on their Facebook page. Don’t be complicit in this. Don’t take the bait. Let them have their free speech, but don’t let them have the theater.

Personally I am sick of the hate garbage. Everyday people of color live with the fear of being killed. Everyday people who are different such as gay live in fear.

What is the matter with this country? Why are people so hateful?

What are people going to think of us in the future? Like in the 1930's people risked all to help those that were being persecuted. I am so sick of the ugly talk against others. Just grrrr!

Conservative people live in fear on whats happening on this campus and around the country.
This guy has some out-there opinions, but they are his opinions. If we still have free speech, he should have the right to speak. If people don't agree and only 10 show up for his speech, then he won't be invited to speak many more times.
<modsnip>
MOO

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...n=politics&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

In a statement, the university said: "The violence was instigated by a group of about 150 masked agitators who came onto campus and interrupted an otherwise non-violent protest."

It said that at the time more than 1,500 protesters were gathered outside the event.

"This was a group of agitators who were masked up, throwing rocks, commercial grade fireworks and Molotov cocktails at officers," UC Berkeley Police Chief Margo Bennet told The Associated Press. Police put the campus on lock down for several hours. There were no reports of arrests or serious injuries, according to the AP.

Perhaps to force the university to take draconian action against those who riot, eg "sending down" or expelling them, or ensuring that they are criminally prosecuted, instead of burying their heads in the sand and taking no real action against those involved. Protesting peacefully is one thing, violent riot is another.

Here in the UK we used to have The Riot Act. It gave the authorities the right to declare a violent protest a riot (aka "reading the Riot Act"), and then give the rioters 30 minutes to clear the streets. After that the authorities, often the local militia, were permitted to start shooting to kill.

Colloquially we still say we "read the riot act" to someone when we're really angry with them.

Thank you for posting this! It is exactly what I think we are working towards. If people can't protest with out all this criminal activity, protests will be outlawed. Free speech will be silenced. There will be an 'official' viewpoint and no other will be allowed.
If citizens can't act civilized, our society will be shut down.
Many powerful societies of the past no longer exist. The United States can only exist as long as the citizens can live in a civilized manner. We are slowly creeping in the other direction.
It's a sad thing.

The thing about tolerance is, you don't have to tolerate EVERYTHING. And honestly, I've never heard of this guy before and wonder seriously about his sanity.

What kind of person announces they're gay and then wants gays closeted and calls them awful names and says women should just shut up and let himself and Trump who are Alpha Males do all the talking.

There is a level of behavior that goes beyond which you should tolerate.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...n=politics&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews

In a statement, the university said: "The violence was instigated by a group of about 150 masked agitators who came onto campus and interrupted an otherwise non-violent protest."

It said that at the time more than 1,500 protesters were gathered outside the event.

"This was a group of agitators who were masked up, throwing rocks, commercial grade fireworks and Molotov cocktails at officers," UC Berkeley Police Chief Margo Bennet told The Associated Press. Police put the campus on lock down for several hours. There were no reports of arrests or serious injuries, according to the AP.

This is honestly what I expected. Outsiders and anarchists love to cause this kind of chaos, because they know who will be blamed: protesters.

The thing about tolerance is, you don't have to tolerate EVERYTHING. And honestly, I've never heard of this guy before and wonder seriously about his sanity.

What kind of person announces they're gay and then wants gays closeted and calls them awful names and says women should just shut up and let himself and Trump who are Alpha Males do all the talking.

There is a level of behavior that goes beyond which you should tolerate.

The tolerance talk is always so frustrating. There is a difference between tolerating an opinion: abortion beliefs, and tolerating someone's absolutely hateful rhetoric. No, I do NOT have to tolerate someone like MY simply because I ask that other people tolerate the lifestyle of, say, a gay couple.. JMO!

Maybe not tolerate, but just ignore.
The more attention someone gets, the more they get to spread their message.

I doubt that any of the masked violent agitators were Berkeley students. Berkeley students are high achievers with a lot to lose. There are organized (or semi-organized) groups that do this kind of thing, like the ones in DC on Inauguration Day. I find it really scary.

I don't know much about Milo except he's pretty awful and basically one click over from being an outright Nazi. I do think that society needs to push back much harder on ideas like Nazism that may have a base appeal but are very dangerous and poisonous for an inclusive, tolerant democratic society. How do we do this while remaining tolerant? That's the big question. I kind of think Canada and some Western European countries have the right of it by banning hate speech, Nazi regalia, etc. But with our Constitution we can't do that. So we really need to inoculate ourselves against hatred. It's a big responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is honestly what I expected. Outsiders and anarchists love to cause this kind of chaos, because they know who will be blamed: protesters.

Why shouldn't the protesters be blamed? They took part in the violence and destruction. I watched it with my own eyes. It was not just anarchists. The students marched alongside them and cheered them on while they smashed windows, threw bricks at cops, set fire to trees and equipment on the campus. If there had not been people putting their own lives in danger, on the balcony and roof of the student union, it would have gone up in flames.

Imo, PRETENDING the protesters were not partially to blame is a joke.

Maybe not tolerate, but just ignore.
The more attention someone gets, the more they get to spread their message.

Sometimes you can't. It's too dangerous to ignore haters, because apathy is what they thrive on. All evil needs to succeed is for good people to do nothing. And that's what the promoters of Milo want. They want people who disagree to stay home, so they can attract new White Supremacists in peace.

The ONLY thing the alt right movement, and the white supremacist movement has in common with Milo is they all really want to be able to openly hate and exclude.

Anyway, a thoughtful piece:

[video=cnn;us/2017/02/02/milo-yiannopoulos-ivory-tower-bu-orig.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/02/us/milo-yiannopoulos-ivory-tower/index.html[/video]

I doubt that any of the masked violent agitators were Berkeley students. Berkeley students are high achievers with a lot to lose. There are organized (or semi-organized) groups that do this kind of thing, like the ones in DC on Inauguration Day. I find it really scary.

I don't know much about Milo except he's pretty awful and basically one click over from being an outright Nazi. I do think that society needs to push back much harder on ideas like Nazism that may have a base appeal but are very dangerous and poisonous for an inclusive, tolerant democratic society. How do we do this while remaining tolerant? That's the big question. I kind of think Canada and some Western European countries have the right of it by banning hate speech, Nazi regalia, etc. But with our Constitution we can't do that. So we really need to inoculate ourselves against hatred. It's a big responsibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of the protesters were students. I went to Berkeley and have young relatives who go there now. They are PROUD of being part of the marches there.

Plenty of students get into Berkeley because of their 'student activism' in high school. Some get in because of their high GPA. Others are admitted because of their Social Warrior Status.

But I do agree that there are a lot of professional protesters that are organized by anarchists and the like.

I don't think Milo is a Nazi. I think he is purposely inciting people for a lark. he is almost like a shock jock, comedy act. He is himself a gay man and likes to shock others by being contrary and incendiary. People need to get a grip and ignore him, rather than use him as an excuse to burn down their neighborhoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo1