Berkeley protest of Milo Yiannopoulos turns violent, event cancelled - live video

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When a "lark" emboldens other white supremacists to take action (hello Quebec), it is no longer a comedy act. He is not a shock jock, funny guy anymore. He is a white supremacist, and that makes him a Nazi.

It's not being dramatic to say that.

I had never heard of milo until these protest.

Sometimes you can't. It's too dangerous to ignore haters, because apathy is what they thrive on. All evil needs to succeed is for good people to do nothing. And that's what the promoters of Milo want. They want people who disagree to stay home, so they can attract new White Supremacists in peace.

The ONLY thing the alt right movement, and the white supremacist movement has in common with Milo is they all really want to be able to openly hate and exclude.

Anyway, a thoughtful piece:

[video=cnn;us/2017/02/02/milo-yiannopoulos-ivory-tower-bu-orig.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/02/us/milo-yiannopoulos-ivory-tower/index.html[/video]

So, just asking, do you think the response that is happening is for the good?

When a "lark" emboldens other white supremacists to take action (hello Quebec), it is no longer a comedy act. He is not a shock jock, funny guy anymore. He is a white supremacist, and that makes him a Nazi.

He is a talker. People talk, it doesn't hurt anyone. Throwing bricks, fireworks, burning cars and buildings, hurts people.

And just saying, with that name, is he really white? ( I just googled him, I had never seen or heard of him before this. He is white-skinned, Greek born British. If not for this event, I for one would have never heard of him. He'll be more famous that ever now.)

He is a talker. People talk, it doesn't hurt anyone. Throwing bricks, fireworks, burning cars and buildings, hurts people.

And just saying, with that name, is he really white?

I wholeheartedly disagree.

And just saying, with that name, is he really white?

He is greek born raised in england.

He himself is NOT a white supremisisict. Just because some of those idiots try to attach themselves to him it does not mean he is one of them.

Look at the violent anarchists that attached themselves to the progressive movement. Does that taint their message?

He himself is NOT a white supremisisict. Just because some of those idiots try to attach themselves to him it does not mean he is one of them.

Look at the violent anarchists that attached themselves to the progressive movement. Does that taint their message?

Nah he's just hateful and bigoted. AND an absolute hypocrite.

A lot of the protesters were students. I went to Berkeley and have young relatives who go there now. They are PROUD of being part of the marches there.

Plenty of students get into Berkeley because of their 'student activism' in high school. Some get in because of their high GPA. Others are admitted because of their Social Warrior Status.

But I do agree that there are a lot of professional protesters that are organized by anarchists and the like.

I don't think Milo is a Nazi. I think he is purposely inciting people for a lark. he is almost like a shock jock, comedy act. He is himself a gay man and likes to shock others by being contrary and incendiary. People need to get a grip and ignore him, rather than use him as an excuse to burn down their neighborhoods.

BBM

Yes, I agree that is what he is. So, I ask, why should a guy like that be speaking at a University? I'd like to think that an institution of higher learning can do better than have a speaker like him.

It's one thing to offer the podium to dissenting voices - that's good for everyone to be exposed to differing points of view and examine your own views. But this guy? He's not there for intellectual exchange so why have him on campus at all?

I think it's a set-up, and that upsets me more than the speaker.

Again, peaceful protests and boycotts will win. Apathy and violence will not.

Just my peace-loving opinion.

I thought Universities were about Free speech? They don't like what this guy was going to say so they set the place on fire and throw bricks at the police?

1. Hate speech is not generally protected even under the law. Let alone by the guidelines of an academic institution.

2. The University is about free speech. He had a right to speak there. The protesters had a right to protest. He was outnumbered. Too bad for him. We don't deny thousands of people their rights, so one person can have his rights.

BBM

Yes, I agree that is what he is. So, I ask, why should a guy like that be speaking at a University? I'd like to think that an institution of higher learning can do better than have a speaker like him.

It's one thing to offer the podium to dissenting voices - that's good for everyone to be exposed to differing points of view and examine your own views. But this guy? He's not there for intellectual exchange so why have him on campus at all?

I think it's a set-up, and that upsets me more than the speaker.

Again, peaceful protests and boycotts will win. Apathy and violence will not.

Just my peace-loving opinion.

Why should he be allowed to speak? FREE Speech requires so, imo.

<modsnip>

So, just asking, do you think the response that is happening is for the good?

Is it? Our Vietnam protests seemed to work out for the good. So many lives saved. They were not all peaceful in case you did not know.

And all of the Civil Rights. MLK Jr shut down highways. Were they good? Some strides made but blacks still are getting killed, attacked and live in highly segregated areas.

War is the biggest violent protest. Was WW2 good? Was Iraq? Was Korea? Civil War?

1. Hate speech is not generally protected even under the law. Let alone by the guidelines of an academic institution.

2. The University is about free speech. He had a right to speak there. The protesters had a right to protest. He was outnumbered. Too bad for him.

But those protesters did not have the right to set fire to the plaza at the Student Union, or to smash dozens of windows, break into 6 ATMs and throw bricks and fireworks at the police.

Why should he be allowed to speak? FREE Speech requires so, imo.

<modsnip>

I totally understand free speech and I totally understand the school is federally funded and must allow free speech.

I just have higher expectations than this speaker can meet. That's all. I expect more from universities. I expect top intellectual exchange, and it's my opinion that this particular speaker is not top-notch.

This particular point isn't really about the protests or even about the content, but rather a lament about the level of intellectual discourse.

jmopinion

I totally understand free speech and I totally understand the school is federally funded and must allow free speech.

I just have higher expectations than this speaker can meet. That's all. I expect more from universities. I expect top intellectual exchange, and it's my opinion that this particular speaker is not top-notch.

This particular point isn't really about the protests or even about the content, but rather a lament about the level of intellectual discourse.

jmopinion

Right, that's all good. But should it have ended up with such violence in response? Should the fact that he wants to speak there, create such a violent protest ? The protesters seem to be proving his point for him.

He said she wanted to tour to show that 'political correctness' has paralyzed our millennials to the inability to hear any opposing opinions. I think these protesters proved his point for him. Even after he was canceled and he left the building, they continued to act out violently and destructively.

Isn't that pretty frightening too?

Right, that's all good. But should it have ended up with such violence in response?

No, but it is no surprise that it did, given the topic and the location. That's why I think it was a set up, and that angers me.

We can do better and we must. ALL of us.

But those protesters did not have the right to set fire to the plaza at the Student Union, or to smash dozens of windows, break into 6 ATMs and throw bricks and fireworks at the police.

Of course they do. That's a principle the United States was founded on. Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party? Freedom is generally considered a bit more important, than the destruction of a little bit of property.

Of course they do. That's a principle the United States was founded on. Ever hear of the Boston Tea Party? Freedom is generally considered a bit more important, than the destruction of a little bit of property.

But the trouble with violence is that it gives the excuse for a draconian response. That must be avoided! And it can be, through peaceful protests and boycotts.

A smart warrior doesn't always come out swinging.

jmo

jmopinion

bbm, not the university.

Invited by the Berkeley Republican Club

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/nati...Stirs-Debate-Over-Free-Speech--412494673.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo1