Book released by Defense Atty Nov 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, that doesn't seem strange to me at all. In public, that's how my father refers to my mother, and it's typical in the professional circles I've been associated with.

That usage also suggests that Mr. and Mrs. have prioritized their relationship over any relationship either has with JA.

I get that in general, but.....the context is the detective is asking him directly about THEIR child.

He distances himself in other ways too, like saying (IIRC) heck, I just hang up on her when she gets all annoying, and...."she's always been strange."

Actually, that doesn't seem strange to me at all. In public, that's how my father refers to my mother, and it's typical in the professional circles I've been associated with.

That usage also suggests that Mr. and Mrs. have prioritized their relationship over any relationship either has with JA.

I understand and agree, but when referring to you does he use the same phrasing? When talking about my husband in public, I too refer to him as my husband, but when discussing the children I tend to use "their father" or "his father".

For me, "my wife" sounds possessive (unless it is used as an introduction.."this is my wife (insert name) Also, did he ever refer to Jodi as "my daughter"? There is a lot of disconnect in that family. Now I am going to re-read that interview with Mr. Arias.

For me, "my wife" sounds possessive. Also, did he ever refer to Jodi as "my daughter"? There is a lot of disconnect in that family. Now I am going to re-read that interview with Mr. Arias.

Hmm, I don't remember Mr Arias referring to her as 'my daughter', just as her, or she...that is very odd

I'm a court reporter and edit my work 3 times before printing. I've learned to live with typos, but the should of, would of -- makes me crazy. lol

Here is what I'm finding about the text messages. According to Nurmi, of course.

-he had to file a motion to compel the state to provide them because they refused
-the state kept insisting they didn't exist until threatened with court intervention
-state turned over "hundreds" of text messages. KN is angry they didn't come from the phone company itself, but rather from the state. He prefers the records directly from the phone company
-he finally got what he wanted; the fact that there were thousands and thousands of texts (gee, the page before said hundreds, now it is thousands) means to KN that these two "were really involved in each other's lives on so many levels." The number of texts reveals to KN that Travis never tried to disengage himself from JA (gee, Nurmi, if the number didn't perhaps the content would have. Dumba$$).
-KN says these were very genuine because they were written at a time when neither party would have a need to fabricate anything.
-KN focuses on the differing tones of TA's texts, how one minute he calls JA a liar and the next he says she is awesome.
-JA supported Mitt Romney for President (I swear, I'm not making this up)
-the texts on the whole made Nurmi feel very sad.

This is in the section about the text messages. The book is so disjointed the info you seek could be elsewhere so I'll take another look and post anything I can find.

But as you can see, Nurmi is looking strictly at the number of texts. God forbid he write about the content of them. I have a sneaking suspicion that would paint an entirely different picture of this "relationship."

In that bad G-Chat where TA calls her a sociopath and the worst thing that ever happen to him, he called her a liar over and over again. He asked her if she even knew how to tell the truth. Over and over again he refers to her not telling the truth but when that paid hack AVL read the bad parts of the texts she completely eliminated TA's numerous remarks about her lying again and again.

I thought she was simply so confident that she'd done the perfect crime and would get away with it(see her early TV interviews) that she was kind of regretting not being able to boast that she had been the one to punish TA for his sins, let alone shove her and TA's sordid relationship in all TA's marriageable choices' faces ... so felt the need to soak up every minute of pain she could wring from his family and friends to feed her compulsion for that fleeting "ultimate gratification" she craved, as she so succinctly put it in her blog on May 10, 2008.

I remember in one of her earlier interviews she stated that she would not spend one day in prison. In a motion filed 01/20/2011 the defense asked that the statement about not spending one day in prison be precluded from the trial and the court granted it. Also the Defense asked that her asking for her purse to get her make up when arrested be precluded also and the court granted that motion also. But the court denied the motion to preclude her saying to Inside Edition "no jury will convict me". I would imagine the court thought allowing all the statements in would be too prejudicial. Personally I think the jury should have heard it all. SHE SAID IT. The court didn't have a problem with the defense piling on TA with their slim and lies.

I'm a court reporter and edit my work 3 times before printing. I've learned to live with typos, but the should of, would of -- makes me crazy. lol

"Verbatim". What a perfect name for a court reporter. :)

I remember in one of her earlier interviews she stated that she would not spend one day in prison. In a motion filed 01/20/2011 the defense asked that the statement about not spending one day in prison be precluded from the trial and the court granted it. Also the Defense asked that her asking for her purse to get her make up when arrested be precluded also and the court granted that motion also. But the court denied the motion to preclude her saying to Inside Edition "no jury will convict me". I would imagine the court thought allowing all the statements in would be too prejudicial. Personally I think the jury should have heard it all. SHE SAID IT. The court didn't have a problem with the defense piling on TA with their slim and lies.

BBM:

Well she was correct about the "one" day samspace, LOL.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that the DT is still trying to keep all those sealed records sealed.

I counted them yesterday and what showed up on http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/publicaccess/ were 99(unless I counted wrong) entries showing SDO - Order to Seal Documents.

Those sealed documents protect Nurmi, so he can keep on lying and making money off his lies and despicable behavior.

Pink--(or any Nurmi book owner). Still wondering what Nurmi said about filing some motions despite her hissy -hysterical objections ??

You know it's "simply couldn't care less," right? Sorry, I'm a court reporter and editing is my thing. LOL

verbatim, I need to apologize to you for my rude post that I have since deleted. I took your post out of context and I am very sorry for my reply. I assumed you were correcting some posters verbiage here, and I am quick to defend friends. Again, I apologize. :shame:

Does it seem strange to anyone other than me that her father always seems to call her mother "his wife" and not refer to her mom as her mom?

Just struck me as very odd.

The father of my children is from Mexico. When his siblings would refer to their mother, they wouldn't say "Mom", it was "My mom", even though they all shared the same mom. They would often refer to family members like that, "My sister", when talking to the brother about their mutual sister. I think it's a language or culture thing.

For reference:
http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/012011/m4565390.pdf
01/20/2011

"Furthermore, pending before this Court is Defendant’s Motion for Specific Discovery.

Argument is presented.
IT IS ORDERED granting the Defendant’s motion; however discovery is limited to
Elizabeth Northcutt’s forensic examination and matters related there to.
Lastly, pending before this Court is Defendant’s Motion in Limine; Pretrial Media
Interview and the State’s Response to Motion in Limine: Pretrial Media Interviews.
Argument is presented.
IT IS ORDERED granting the motion in part as to the Defendant’s statement
“she will not spend any time in prison.”
IT IS ORDERED granting the motion in part as to Phase I of the trial, as to the
Defendant’s request to get her purse which contained her makeup so that she could apply some
makeup before being photographed upon her arrest.
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED denying the Defendant’s motion in part as to her statement
“No jury would convict her.”

I get that in general, but.....the context is the detective is asking him directly about THEIR child.

He distances himself in other ways too, like saying (IIRC) heck, I just hang up on her when she gets all annoying, and...."she's always been strange."

Yes, especially in that circumstance, in a formal or semi-formal conversation, "my wife" would be exactly how Sandy would be referred to. Plus, I believe EF also referred to her that way (as "your wife") and IIRC the Ariases were being addressed as Mr. and Mrs. Arias.

It's not until quite recently that first names have been used in many contexts, and Mr. Arias seems to be quite a bit older than Sandy. It is a sign of respect and decorum to bring out the Mr. and Mrs. which goes along with the wife and husband thing which goes along with "your (plural) child". Honestly, it didn't strike me as weird at all. At least Bill didn't call her Mrs. Arias, which would have been decidedly Victorian.

And then, there's the problem of different ways of saying mother.... "Mom" is not in every family. What would you think of Mr. A talking about "Jodi's Mummy"? "Jodi's Mommy"?" Jodi's Mama"? and worst of all, "Jodi's mother". "Jodi's Mother"="Jodi belongs to her and not me and I don't have much to do with either one of them". "Wife" is a whole lot better than any of these rediculousnesses.

Now that I've flogged a dead horse, it's clear Mr. and Mrs. were circling their wagons and propelling Jodi out of the family unit.

Does Sandy even refer to her husband at all in that interview? That might be more interesting...

Hmm. I hadn't noticed that before. It IS odd. Or at least doesn't seem a very typical thing for a parent to say.

I very rarely refer to other cases to make comparisons, but in some basic way he reminds me of George, FCA's hapless father. Both seemed to understand their girls were whacked early on, both seemed to defer to Mom, and ...that's where it is different. CMJA's dad seems to have washed his hands of her altogether, unlike George. But that's a different story altogether.

I agree with you. He is similar to hapless George in some ways. What struck me about both men is that they are stuck in a family that includes a sociopath daughter and an enabling mother who wouldn't or couldn't acknowledge the hard facts about her precious child. I have the sense that both men have simply gone along with whatever the wife demanded in order to keep the peace. Both strike me as very exhausted, unhappy, but resigned men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GhostlyDarling