Bosma Murder Trial 02.10.16 - Day 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week I threatened to make a timeline spreadsheet, and to help with more transcribing. End result: absolutely buried at work this week. Jinxed myself.

Luckily prosecution seems to be presenting chronologically. Very impressive.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 43s43 seconds ago
May 7 between 9:18:03 am and 9:21:12 am on Smich phone received 21 messages. As though he suddenly turned phone on. "Flooded" from 1 tower.

Adam Carter
Feb 10 2016 4:15 PM
We're done for the day. Back at 10 a.m. tomorrow.

I'm really intrigued as to what kind of approach the Defense will take in this case because the things that we know about this case thus far look really, really damning for Millard and Smich.

There are currently 130 users browsing this thread. (47 members and 83 guests)

Regarding the doors opening on the trailer, I don't see it being any fault of LE or the tow truck driver. LE most likely checked the back doors once the trailer was hitched and pulled forward by the tow truck. Also seeing the lock on the exterior would confirm they were locked. Perhaps there was an interior locking mechanism which DM may not have engaged if he had opened up the trailer once it was in MB's driveway. Did he open MB's garage doors that night entering the trailer and then didn't securing an interior mechanism/bar?

I tend to see it as poor construction of the doors, inappropriate, flimsy, locking hardware used on the exterior of the door, of such a huge trailer. Regardless...whatever happened, it should not have a big influence on the jurors in deciding whether the perps are guilty or innocent of FDM.
ALL MOO.

However, a contractor who worked on the hangar said Mr. Millard wasn’t the type to tinker on engines himself. “I’ve never seen his hands dirty that way. I didn’t find him that mechanically inclined,” the contractor said.

In fact, once when Mr. Millard needed some space he took a cutting torch and removed some structural components from the building, the contractor said. “That’s something you don’t do and I told him we have to put it back. And if he was a little more mechanically inclined, he would know that.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...arged-with-killing-tim-bosma/article12009016/

I may be alone, but I find this fascinating.....I've even started taking notes today to try and keep it all straight.

Don't know how I am going to work full time and follow along for the next four months or so without getting fired.....there's always Fridays to catch up I guess! :shame:

Feb 10 2016 4:14 PM
On May 7 between 9:18 p.m. to 9:21 a.m., Smich's phone was sent 21 texts. Those messages only contained tower info that the phone would have been turned off at the time the message was originally sent. If the phone was tuned back on, it would have been "flooded" with those texts, court hears.

May 7 between 9:18:03 am and 9:21:12 am on Smich phone received 21 messages. As though he suddenly turned phone on. "Flooded" from 1 tower.

Which was it? Susan's makes more sense to me.....

I'm really intrigued as to what kind of approach the Defense will take in this case because the things that we know about this case thus far look really, really damning for Millard and Smich.

DM's defense keeps pointing out that everything was in the open, with no attempt to hide things.

Now either they are going to suggest that he was framed, and that's why things were left in such obvious places, or they will blame it within others within a criminal organization, i.e., DM's friends. DM didn't have to hide anything from his friends: we already know that in the first week MS, SS, MM, CN, AM were in on things and AJ figured out what was going on.

He's trying to say he didn't act as someone who was hiding anything. I'd say that the defence is that he was honestly in the market for a truck and Smich shot him. Smich will say Millard did it.

Feb 10 2016 4:14 PM
On May 7 between 9:18 p.m. to 9:21 a.m., Smich's phone was sent 21 texts. Those messages only contained tower info that the phone would have been turned off at the time the message was originally sent. If the phone was tuned back on, it would have been "flooded" with those texts, court hears.

Which was it? Susan's makes more sense to me.....

you would think that if LE had confiscated the phones and they had the evidence of the actual texts they would present that here..it all just seems so confusing.

After taking a screen shot with my phone, reviewing the weld joints on DM's Cam Bar, it appears IMO, that this locking system has been fabricated by someone other than a professional company. Any enclosed trailers that I have used or seen, have a Cam Lock closure system which is used for all side doors and rear access. The Cam Bar swing hinge door lock handle typically must meet at both top and bottom at which point the cam will rotate and create the latch.
From my past experience, it is quite difficult to latch the mechanism into place and install a padlock on an enclosed trailer door without the swing handle being in the proper position within the cams on both top and bottom.
Anyone else with experience using this locking system? TIA

I have used this type of system many times. Without this system properly in place and without a pretty sturdy lock it would be very easy to break a lock just with the shifting of the trailer over bumps and pot holes.
They are lucky it didn't come open again when they wired it shut. There is a lot of pressure on doors once the trailer is moving. Moo

For continuity of evidence, I do not believe anything at all was done to the trailer while it was in Hamilton. Gibson sealed the doors and put a padlock on the back door. They towed it to Hamilton. AND WAITED FOR THE WARRANTS. They would not have unsealed the trailer and gained access UNTIL they had authorization to do so. Once they got the warrants, presumably the Monday the 13th, Officer Laura Troubridge headed to the secure facility in Hamilton and drove behind the tow truck that was taking it to Tillsonburg where they were going to process the truck and trailer (2 different warrants) for evidence. The fact that there was a police presence at the location in Hamilton was likely (MOO) to keep the scene secure and so they could testify that it would have been impossible for an unknown subject to plant evidence/etc.

I wonder if the defense checked the box for 'continuity', as I would be interested in knowing the continuity situation in this particular area of evidence.

you would think that if LE had confiscated the phones and they had the evidence of the actual texts they would present that here..it all just seems so confusing.

I think there will be more to come on the context of those text messages, but right now what they are doing is using cellular technology to put MS and DM in the area of the crime and the previous test drive.

DM's defense keeps pointing out that everything was in the open, with no attempt to hide things.

Now either they are going to suggest that he was framed, and that's why things were left in such obvious places, or they will blame it within others within a criminal organization, i.e., DM's friends. DM didn't have to hide anything from his friends: we already know that in the first week MS, SS, MM, CN, AM were in on things and AJ figured out what was going on.

The "special" friend, or friends, of DM was/were also friends of MS. They all chilled together on and off. So I don't quite get how a frame up defence would be structured and why the need to frame DM.

Not a leftie, but the leftie in my life is quite ambidextrous. He uses either hand for most things, but always writes with his left hand. However, it's obvious that a lot of times he does things awkwardly when using his right hand. I think his fingerprints would smear more from doing this. FWIW.

I use my right hand for the key and left for opening the driver's side door on a car.

BBM, this is true for me, and I am a lefty.

I believe they will eventually get to that. Just as there were, thus far, two different fingerprint analysis experts, there will be more than one mobile device forensics experts kwim. HTH and MOO.

No hill that big between Kleinburg and Hamilton. ;) The hill they are talking about on the 403 near Ancaster is a long steep incline, plus some relatively sharp curves in that area too. Think the bouncing and pressure going uphill must have released a possibly defective latch?

It was supposed to be padlocked.

100%. She said they drove about 2km before she could get the driver's attention. 2km back from Golf Links Road (where she said they pulled over) is right near the top of the 403 as you start to curve toward the left and onto the escarpment. And that is pot hole season....early May. They usually don't get those filled til around September. ;)

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2198873,-79.9507823,14z

She didn't testify to potholes or that this occurred after hitting one.

I wonder if the defense checked the box for 'continuity', as I would be interested in knowing the continuity situation in this particular area of evidence.

I don't believe anything of importance was found in the box. Do you have a link/source stating otherwise? If there was, you're right, there would be major issues with continuity of evidence. Let's say they found the gun that killed TB in the box.....if it even was admissible there would be reasonable doubt. Luckily, nothing of importance was found in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966