Bosma Murder Trial 03.01.16 - Day 17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Colin Butler ‏@ColinButlerCBC 39s39 seconds ago
Falconer telling jury about internet evidence finder - software by @MagnetForensics that helps police check what was looked up online

https://www.magnetforensics.com/about/ - They are a Waterloo, ON-based company

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Any time u go to website, that site's address is left on your device. So are "composite pieces" of website. Crown using @TheSpec as example.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 1m1 minute ago
Once the software did its thing, humans reviewed the data. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
There were 5 "data review" officers involved in searching devices for this case. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 1m1 minute ago
Data reviewers were selected based on knowledge of case, he says--it was important that they know what they're looking for. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 28s29 seconds ago
Took 2.5 months for the data review. #Bosma

They spent two and a half months going through the data, Falconer says.
by Adam Carter 3:45 PM

The data reviews were not forensics experts, Falconer says.
by Adam Carter 3:47 PM

Falconer says he was also looking to see if clocks on computers are set properly, if there are viruses that could compromise the data, etc.
by Adam Carter 3:49 PM

One reviewer provided him with "many 100s of bookmarks" of Facebook display pictures, Falconer says.
by Adam Carter 3:50 PM

Less than 1 per cent of the original data seized actually made it into Falconer's report, he says.
by Adam Carter 3:51 PM

so July 10th they were granted access to go through all the devices and it took 2.5 months to go through..when was there a second investigation for the farm?

Very possible. They were looking at MS as early as May 14th. Stands to reason they had interviewed MM before his arrest. She is not charged with anything and has moved on so I'd say she was quite willing to do whatever it took to stay out of this mess.

MOO

Kamille, do you think LE would arrest MM if she had been cooperating with them prior to MS's arrest? I wonder if they only "appeared" to arrest her along with MS to give him the impression that she was not cooperating? Could/would LE do this?

All MOO.

Kamille, do you think LE would arrest MM if she had been cooperating with them prior to MS's arrest? I wonder if they only "appeared" to arrest her along with MS to give him the impression that she was not cooperating? Could/would LE do this?

All MOO.

I really don't think she was cooperating or had even been questioned. MS was under surveillance, the last thing they would want was his girlfriend tipping him off that he was being watched. They were hoping that he'd go get the gun at some point I assume.

All MOO.
BBM I wondered this too. I do think it would be difficult to keep that big of secret from someone you supposedly loved. All my opinion.

All MOO.

Perhaps. Maybe that's why she never said anything according to the officer that arrested them? I'd think if I were arrested out of the blue walking with my boyfriend, I'd have something to say about it. :dunno:

MOO

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 27s28 seconds ago
Final step in forensic process is to write a report in the findings.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 6m6 minutes ago
Distilling data down to relevant findings. And doing a more fulsome exam of those findings. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 5m5 minutes ago
Data reviewers can bookmark findings for him to look at.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
Less than 1 per cent of data retrieved from devices was relevant enough to make it into final report. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
Some of the seized devices hadn't been used in a long time.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
He says less than 1% of the original data (on the devices seized) made it into his final report. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
They also wanted to establish who was actually using each computer or device at the time. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Looks at patterns of user behaviour so someone can try to determine who was primary user of device.

Finding the data was just one part of the exercise, he says. "You also need to establish who was using a computer at the time."
by Adam Carter 3:53 PM

"My experience working with computers ... is people save their most valuable information on the computer."
by Adam Carter 3:55 PM

Repeat patterns of usage also help discern who is using a computer, Falconer says.
by Adam Carter 3:56 PM

Justice Goodman now addressing the jury about powerpoint presentations.
by Adam Carter 3:59 PM

I really don't think she was cooperating or had even been questioned. MS was under surveillance, the last thing they would want was his girlfriend tipping him off that he was being watched. They were hoping that he'd go get the gun at some point I assume.

So how did they know to look for it in a forested area on the day of his arrest, seemingly before he was arrested? :waitasec:

MOO

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 24s24 seconds ago
"People save their most valuable information on computers."

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 17s18 seconds ago
On home computers, several people may be using it. #Bosma

why does it seem like they are taking forever to get to what it was they found on the devices lol :gaah:

BBM I wondered this too. I do think it would be difficult to keep that big of secret from someone you supposedly loved. All my opinion.

Not if the alternative was an accessory after the fact charge IMO.

Adam Carter CBC
Mar 1 2016
2:39 PM

Two types of software were used. One is "Internet Evidence Finder": which was used to look for communication and browser history. When anyone uses most internet browser, websites "cache" portions of data. That leaves traces of where people have visited.
IEF also searches for backups of phones or other mobile devices.

The second software, See For All, looks for pictures and movies.
Websites tend to leave the address of the website that has been accessed in an index file, along with the date and time it was accessed. It also leaves the composite of the website's images. That also helps with the speed in which pages load.
"You're looking at a snapshot of something - you have to look at something and determine if it's relevant," Falconer says. There were five "data reviewers" assigned to the case to filter, sort and search through the data.
They spent two and a half months going through the data, Falconer says.
The data reviews were not forensics experts, Falconer says

Falconer says he was also looking to see if clocks on computers are set properly, if there are viruses that could compromise the data, etc.

One reviewer provided him with "many 100s of bookmarks" of Facebook display pictures, Falconer says.

Less than 1 per cent of the original data seized actually made it into Falconer's report, he says.
Finding the data was just one part of the exercise, he says. "You also need to establish who was using a computer at the time."

"My experience working with computers ... is people save their most valuable information on the computer."

Repeat patterns of usage also help discern who is using a computer, Falconer says

Justice Goodman now addressing the jury about powerpoint presentations.
"They are part of the evidence for you to consider at the end of trial." With that said, Goodman says, they are subject to cross examination, and their weight needs to be decided. "This and any powerpoint presentations are given to help you understand the evidence."

why does it seem like they are taking forever to get to what it was they found on the devices lol :gaah:

Because they are. :floorlaugh:

They have to make sure the jury is fully aware of EVERYTHING that was done in this case and how. It's the how that takes forever.

MOO

"They are part of the evidence for you to consider at the end of trial." With that said, Goodman says, they are subject to cross examination, and their weight needs to be decided by the jury. "This and any powerpoint presentations are given to help you understand the evidence."
by Adam Carter 4:00 PM

Goodman says he's going to make a decision on when/if we sit tomorrow morning when he "looks out his bedroom window" depending on weather (there's a storm forcasted for Hamilton overnight).
by Adam Carter 4:02 PM

Jury now being dismissed for the day -- just before we get into the bulk of Falconer's actual report. Will have to wait until tomorrow.
by Adam Carter 4:02 PM

***ending on a cliffhanger :gaah:

And it looks like court may be cancelled for the pending snowstorm.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
Judge suggesting ending there today before getting into PowerPoint presentation. Explaining to jury PP only supplements live testimony.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 30s30 seconds ago
#Bosma trial breaking for day. Judge says he'll decide in the morning if there will be a snow day

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 8s8 seconds ago
Crown is going to wrap up here for the day and will resume tmrw morning (weather depending, Judge says). #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 44s45 seconds ago
Justice Goodman tells jurors they will be contacted by court before 8:30 am tomorrow to tell them if court cancelled/delayed due to weather.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 30s30 seconds ago
Jury/witness done for day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members