Bosma Murder Trial 05.31.16 - Day 56 - Closing Arguments Begin

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pillay takes everything so literal. I'm sure that's all calculated but it's interesting. Like because DM didn't specifically write it down or search online that he's innocent? Give me a break. Was DM going to take out a notepad like "Today we murder someone." Sachak and Pillay belong in a magical forest together.

Pillay says that human witnesses are bad as recorders of events, but security camera evidence is reliable. "It has no agenda in the trial process."
by Adam Carter 11:32 AM

Pillay says that human witnesses are bad as recorders of events, but security camera evidence is reliable. "It has no agenda in the trial process."

Pillay again saying the Bosma truck made three trips on Trinity Road that night.
by Adam Carter 11:33 AM

It was on the hangar floor on May 8. "Remarkably, it was out in the open for all the world to see," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 11:14 AM

Yes it was Mr. Pillay....AFTER the murder. Why would you display a truck in your business establishment AFTER an unplanned murder? And continue to work towards using that vehicle, including adding the key to your key chain? Which shows me that DM was not concerned that anyone in his close knit circle of friends were going to turn him in for anything...ever. And they didn't. Took LE many attempts and even an arrest just to get the skewed version of things that they did.

MOO

Pillay says the timestamp on the Super Sucker video was "clearly off." He disputes the corrected timestamp presented by three sources in court.
by Adam Carter 11:34 AM

63838ad6-e55c-4e5f-a442-12ea550f34fd_500.png
Here's what I previously wrote, explaining the back and forth.
by Adam Carter 11:36 AM

Pillay now playing the video footage of those trips.
by Adam Carter 11:37 AM

Yes it was Mr. Pillay....AFTER the murder. Why would you display a truck in your business establishment AFTER an unplanned murder? And continue to work towards using that vehicle, including adding the key to your key chain? Which shows me that DM was not concerned that anyone in his close knit circle of friends were going to turn him in for anything...ever. And they didn't. Took LE many attempts and even an arrest just to get the skewed version of things that they did.

I'm now kind of wondering what happened to TB's keys after DM removed the truck key to put it on his keys. Strangely that just popped into my head.

I always thought SS knew about the planned truck theft because when DM texted him to say not to come into work on the 7th, SS replied, "Not even me?" It is also what made me think SS didn't know about the murder because DM didn't want him around the hangar during the aftermath.

All MOO.

That has been my view as well. I remember noting that when SS texted back something along the lines of "Did I do something wrong, I don't want to cause you any problems" and DM responded something like "You don't cause me problems, you solve my problems" That exchange led me to believe that SS was a loyal worker...he may have even known about the possible theft of the truck but definitely not the murder. But if he didn't know about the plan to steal the truck, I am sure that truck was not the first stolen item to come to the hangar without him knowing. MOO

Pilay says nothing Millard did makes sense, but that is exactly what he did. For instance, he says "you wouldn't leave a truck that everyone is looking for in your Mother's driveway", but that is exactly what Millard did. So what is the point?
Trying to get 2nd degree instead of 1st.

Pillay says the the expert who brought forth this video omitted movements of the truck in his original report.
by Adam Carter 11:40 AM

You can read Plaxton's report here. "Mr. Plaxton made an omission," Pillay says, about the first two trips he says is the truck.
by Adam Carter 11:42 AM

Pillay says the omission is "significant." "This omission becomes very important when we turn to Mr. Smich's concocted account."
by Adam Carter 11:43 AM

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 54s54 seconds ago
Trips one and two were omissions, they weren't in the Plaxton report. They were introduced in the cross. He admitted he missed trips 1&2

Not how I remember the testimony....he "admitted" he didn't include them in the report....may or may not have been TB's truck.....not that he missed them....MOO

Pillay again saying the Bosma truck made three trips on Trinity Road that night.
by Adam Carter 11:33 AM

This is a point that I agreed with Pillay on and it was totally fair to highlight that the Crown didn't use this evidence. However, I understand that the Crown may have left this out if they didn't consider it relevant evidence to the case. The evidence was still there for the defence to use, but on its own it didn't really speak to the accused's guilt. It was more important for the Crown to show the two vehicles together. There really was no other evidence available for the Crown to try to piece together a story about how/when the murder actually occurred during those critical times.

Pillay now going through all the different comparisons between the vehicles in these videos. We've heard this several times.
by Adam Carter 11:46 AM

"This is the Crown's expert. The one who was qualified in this area ... he says this could be one and the same vehicle," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 11:47 AM

"This is the same vehicle. The chances that these are some random vehicle ... are sufficiently remote," Pillay says. Again, the expert did not say this is the same vehicle.
by Adam Carter 11:50 AM

Michael Plaxton said the vehicles were "consistent" with each other.
by Adam Carter 11:52 AM

Pillay says "remarkably," the Crown didn't reexamine Plaxton about this evidence. Says Smich fabricated his account to match the omission.
by Adam Carter 11:54 AM

Now taking another 15 minute break.
by Adam Carter 11:55 AM

Pillay now going through all the different comparisons between the vehicles in these videos. We've heard this several times.
by Adam Carter 11:46 AM

"This is the Crown's expert. The one who was qualified in this area ... he says this could be one and the same vehicle," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 11:47 AM

"This is the same vehicle. The chances that these are some random vehicle ... are sufficiently remote," Pillay says. Again, the expert did not say this is the same vehicle.
by Adam Carter 11:50 AM

This can only discredit Smich's story, IMO. From the Crown's perspective, the additional video sightings of the truck don't affect their case, nor do they make the accused look any more or less guilty (apart from contradicting Smich's story).

This is a point that I agreed with Pillay on and it was totally fair to highlight that the Crown didn't use this evidence. However, I understand that the Crown may have left this out if they didn't consider it relevant evidence to the case. The evidence was still there for the defence to use, but on its own it didn't really speak to the accused's guilt. It was more important for the Crown to show the two vehicles together. There really was no other evidence available for the Crown to try to piece together a story about how/when the murder actually occurred during those critical times.

Yes, it's wise to tell your story to detectives early on rather than to wait for detectives and the Crown to piece together their own version of events, which is quite possibly going to be much more damning that what the truth may be. And they will use only what they need to use to put their version of the story together. If DM wanted people to believe all this, he would have been smart to tell his version very early on. The fact that he didn't proves that his version is also a fabrication based on the evidence IMO.

Now in this case, neither chose to "tell the truth" at the beginning of the investigation. So leaving out the other truck evidence, based on evidence of the time stamp on the camera (which may or may not be correct) does not affect the Crown's version of events. And since the evidence of the time stamp does conflict with that truck evidence, and the cell phone evidence, it makes total sense that they would leave it out. They have determined that TB was killed sometime before 9:20pm when the two accused left the field with both vehicles. They are not required to prove just what happened or exactly where the vehicle went before the two accused split up and at what point TB was murdered. Both accused had the opportunity to tell their version. One took it. Which appears to have been a mistake. The jury are now going to be the people to determine if the time stamp evidence is incorrect and MS is lying, which I think they will. Surprisingly, TD allowed his client to play right into RP's hand on that one.

There are now 3 versions of what happened that night floating around....and then there's the truth. Something that sadly the Bosma family will never know. Thanks to the two defendants sitting in that courtroom. I hope the jury sees it that way and pays careful attention to the evidence the Crown presented.

MOO

OT - anyone else having issues with Shockwave Flash and the website crashing?

ETA - seems it's me.....thanks for the responses :)

I was yesterday (Windows & Chrome) so I followed the directions in the announcement at the top of thread today and all seems fine. There was no way I was going to put up with the crashing on an important day like today.

I'm now kind of wondering what happened to TB's keys after DM removed the truck key to put it on his keys. Strangely that just popped into my head.

I thought of that at one point but it is quite plausible that the only key that was used for the test drive was the truck key. It isn't unusual for people to only provide the key to the vehicle when selling a truck and allowing a test drive. I know that the two times I have test drove a vehicle that was up for sale privately only the vehicle key was given to me, despite the owner being in the car with me. MOO

Pillay now talking about the Supersucker timestamp. If the timestamp is off by exactly three hours, tit ruins Pillay's theory. He says, "but what if it was three hours and ten minutes slow?"
by Adam Carter 12:14 PM

Timestamps on surveillance video are prone to error, Pillay says we've heard at trial.
by Adam Carter 12:14 PM

Plaxton couldn't verify the timestamp at Supersucker himself, as it had already been fixed. Other people (including a police officer) reported to him how far it was off.
by Adam Carter 12:15 PM

I thought of that at one point but it is quite plausible that the only key that was used for the test drive was the truck key. It isn't unusual for people to only provide the key to the vehicle when selling a truck and allowing a test drive. I know that the two times I have test drove a vehicle that was up for sale privately only the vehicle key was given to me, despite the owner being in the car with me. MOO

I thought of that too before I posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member