Brandon Scott Lavergne - Guilty Plea and LWOP

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI:

An inmate at Angola costs the state an average of $23,000 a year. A young lifer will rack up more than $1 million in taxpayer-funded expenses if he reaches the Louisiana male life expectancy of 72.
http://www.louisianacure.org/uploads...d_graphics.pdf

Firefox, Angola is reserved for the 'worst of the worst'...the BSLs of Louisiana. He is relatively 'normal' among the 5,000 inmates. No one goes there with less than a 40 year sentence; the average sentence is 88 years. 75% are LWOPs. 90% will die there. The average per/inmate cost is high because of health care costs relating to maintaining an aging prison population. Cain has championed reduced sentences and parole for those he thinks he can identify as non-threatening. I'm reminded of previous glowing correction department reports on BSL. Not sure I'm ready to leave that determination with prison officials...I know I don't want to ever see the BSLs of Angola on the streets again.......

One day I want to be able to say this to my children and grandchildren:

"Years ago, people would go missing all the time, kidnapped, murdered... It was a dark time. Now that never happens."

I'm not sure if what I'm trying to say is coming accross here.

I hear ya. Loud and clear. Or should I say "werd". :floorlaugh:

Hurricane Rita made landfall at Sabine Pass (LA-TX border) during the early morning hours of 09/24/05. I suppose there could have been some minor damage from Katrina to Dequincy but it seems more likely the transfers were ahead of Rita, as Dequincy probably sustained heavier damage from that storm. And it also a possibility (would have to check) that Dequincy received prisoners from prisons directly affected by Katrina and had to transfer some prisoners elsewhere due to overcrowding. This was a very chaotic time in Louisiana.
Yes, I know. I was here.

I remember when Rita made landfall very well because we had hoped to return home from hurrication that day, but postponed our return to New Orleans due to the approaching sister storm.

The report I linked contains Louisiana DOC daily "mssage points" from 09/04/05-11/06/05. As Rita approached, Phelps CC (DeQuincy) housed 160 Katrina inmate evacuees. According to the bulletin for 09/23/05, they were part of the 1758 inmates relocated to other facilities in anticipation of Rita. Local jails took in 1567 of them, and 191 went to state facilities. I was reading backwards chronologically last night and mistakenly posted that the inmates were moved after the storm (Rita) damaged Phelps. (People were either coming or going; or going and coming, and then going someplace else. It's all blurs together in my mind.) Regardless, because the date of his relocation has been reported as 09/22-23/05, the point of my post was to suggest BSL's relocation from DeQuincy to Avoyelles Parish might have been storm related, and not for the purpose of commencing a re-entry program as some have speculated.

Maybe, maybe not. Just trying to put it all together.

http://www.nola.com/katrina/blancodocs/Dept_Timelines_Chronology_11.pdf

All week I've been reflecting on the timing in Mickey's case. One has to look no further than this board to realize a speedy resolution (of the criminal justice aspect) is a rare exception to an unrelenting rule. I snipped your post to focus on these words which speak for so many of us. No one could say it any better than this.

Each case offers its own pain, and I think we all feel it. It is the pain that will keep me fighting for the ones still missing, and those that sadly will be missing in the future. And I think that is something most of us here share, and is why we really are "family" in here. JMO

I thought Jury said it was 'würd' ??

Is this a cultural change word, oops, sorry??
Does it vary from state to state, chirren??

It's individual, darlin'. Any variation of 'word' is just an affectation.

Würd, Werd, Wird, pick your word, I'll know what you mean.

Tru dat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's unanimous, reedus23

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes indeed!!!! I have been shown the light and in the meantime I have become a better person because I can now admit that I too blush. :woohoo:

Very OT, but seems to fit the running commentary on blushing we've had!

Here's something to make all you reluctant-to-admit blushers feel a little better:

Don't be bashful about blushing

Always go red when you're embarrassed? New research shows it's a sign you'll be a great lover

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...ew-research-shows-sign-youll-great-lover.html

Actually, the research the article focuses on has more to say about easy blushing being a possible indicator of trustworthiness and being an all-around-good-person than a great lover -- but guess "lover" made for a more eye-catching subhead! (Though those two qualities would be present in a TRULY great lover, I guess!)

As for me -- I really don't blush very often at all ... but when I do, wow, no one can miss it and it makes me feel like I might faint. I wonder what that combo means ...? :what: Not something bad, I hope.

:uthere: :eek:fftopic:

And no more guessing games about gender. Even in jest, it's considered "outing" a member, which is a major TOS violation. :tyou:

:uthere: :eek:fftopic:

And no more guessing games about gender. Even in jest, it's considered "outing" a member, which is a major TOS violation. :tyou:

Oooops, sorry I wandered too far off, bessie.

No worries, BW. I didn't even see your post until after I posted. A little chit chat is okay, but when it runs on for hours, it becomes a problem.

I am willing to pay the taxes as long as it keeps those animals off the streets!

I agree, Isabelle. Of all the things my taxes support than annoy me... Keeping these people off this streets isn't one of them. That's a portion of my money I gladly give up!

Good triumphs over evil..

Roger L. Depue:‘Between Good & Evil’:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Between-Good-Evil-Profilers-Unabridged/dp/1415918309"]Amazon.com: Between Good and Evil: A Master Profiler's Hunt For Society's Most Violent Predators {Unabridged Audio} (9781415918302): R. Depue, S. Schindehette, Paul Michael (Amer.): Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41523WKRJ1L.@@AMEPARAM@@41523WKRJ1L[/ame]

In this first-person account of becoming the FBI’s top serial-killer hunter and a member of a religious order in an attempt to discern the true nature of good and evil, Roger L. Depue searches for an understanding of how evil develops.

Between Good and Evil is Depue’s look back at a life spent apprehending criminals, especially serial killers, first as a small-town police chief, then an FBI-SWAT team member, Behavioral Sciences Unit chief, and a developer of revolutionary law enforcement programs.

The book also examines Depue’s experience studying with the Brothers of the Missionaries of the Holy Apostles in an attempt to discover why a good person like his wife, whom he had lost to cancer, is allowed to die while monstrous criminals get to live.

Following his time in the clergy, Depue returned to law-enforcement and today heads one of the world’s most elite think tanks; 'The Academy'..

http://criminalminds.wikia.com/wiki/Roger_L._Depue

Name Roger L. Depue

Roger L. Depue was Unit Chief of the Behavioral Analysis Unit at the FBI
Dr. Depue, one of the pioneers of the FBI's Behavior Science Unit, was first assigned there in 1974 as a Supervisory Special Agent. He served as an instructor and researcher until his promotion to the position of Chief of Behavioral Sciences in 1980, a post he held until his retirement from the FBI in 1989.

His research led him to coin the term "Leakage", which basically means that one's fantasies consciously or subconsciously tend to leak out. It also allows offender profilers to obtain information on a criminal's motivation.

I came here for Mickey but I find myself reading old cases and new. I dream of the lost. I pray for them. I know more about the final hours of some of these victims than I do about the lives of some of my cousins. I find myself drawn in and wondering if I should change my major from psych to criminal justice to make a difference in the world of the lost. Each case brings heartache. It seems like they just keep adding up in the missing column and barely any register in the located forums. :(

GCKAT ~ Delve into both, then follow your passion.
Good Luck !

Been walkin my mind to an easier time,
My back turned towards the sun.
Lord knows when the cold wind blows,
It'll turn your head around.
~ James Taylor

Backwoods...for some of us locals, it is over. For others, a new beginning. And in that new awakening, shines Ms. Mickey's light.
We wanna make a difference, don't know just quite how.

Well said CC. Again, follow your passion! Just keep trying / experiencing new things and you will discover it. Also, it's never too late to cultivate a new passion. Whatever makes you happy.

"Mickey Shunick courageously
sacrificed her life,
so that other victims may live
...in the early morning hours of
May 19th, 2012,
a hero was born"
Foxfire

"Sing your death song,
and die like a hero going home"
Shawnee First Nation

Mighty Mick 5/21/1990 - 5/19/2012
7852917564_17f08c8ced.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmXfdsffOkQ"]In Memory of Mickey Shunick - YouTube[/ame]​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayjay23