GUILTY Brock Turner, college swimmer, CONVICTED of rape - sentenced to only 6 months in jail

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
rsbm

He's probably no more in the cross-hairs than any other rapist. In fact, as evinced in your own posts, he's out of them for many people who excuse the rape on the basis of alcohol and/or promiscuity. As someone else rightly suggested, he knew it was wrong, as he bolted from the scene when other students saw him.

He bolted from the scene, left her lying there unconscious and nude with total strangers AND he was pounding away at her while she lay unconscious on asphalt, he caused bleeding injuries to the back of her hands and her elbow.

I find his use of the word "action" particularly appalling. Is this his idea of "getting some action"?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I vote for having Dad go through the receiving end of the same 20 minutes of action. Heck, I'll divvy it up for 5 minutes for him, 5 for the judge, 5 for the rapist. The other 5 are just up for grabs. Since this was just "Action" I bet you EVERYONE would love a piece of it, amirite?????

Admin Warning

Stop. Please.

Please don't quote another post maligning this RAPE VICTIM and excusing the CONVICTED RAPIST.

I don't give a damn about alcohol, drunkeness.....any of it. She was raped and he was convicted receiving an embarrassing light sentence.

I don't want to have to close this thread while I clean it up but I will if I see anything but compassion for this victim.

Words fail me. Seriously. For the first time in 8 years, I am at a complete loss for words. :censored:

The only thing I can ask of the rest of you - is please don't wait so long to alert on something so horrible and against TOS.

I am still :furious:

Words fail me. Seriously. For the first time in 8 years, I am at a complete loss for words. :censored:

The only thing I can ask of the rest of you - is please don't wait so long to alert on something so horrible and against TOS.

I am still :furious:

Forgive me as I'm extending your message beyond the context of this thread - but in general, I hope that people don't wait so long to alert appropriate authorities on something so horrible and against basic human morality.

I'm not in ANY way condoning this predator - but I think that the father's words may possibly be misconstrued in this instance. His comment was "That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20 plus years of life". I think what he MEANT to say (and I really HOPE this is what he means) is "for 20 minutes worth of poor actions (meaning a terrible choice on his part), everyone should remember he's got 20 plus years of positive choices". NOT that this in any way negates what he did, but I really don't think he means "action" as in the sense of "getting some action". I think he's referring to Brock's actions, not "action" as in "getting some action". I could very well be wrong, I'm just stating another possibility of what he meant, versus his terrible choice of words.

Either way, this kid received a sentence that is an embarrassment to our justice system. 6 months in jail doesn't even hold a candle to what this poor girl will have to live with the rest of her life. It's just making her a victim all over again. Sickening.

I'm not in ANY way condoning this predator - but I think that the father's words may possibly be misconstrued in this instance. His comment was "That is a steep price to pay for 20 minutes of action out of his 20 plus years of life". I think what he MEANT to say (and I really HOPE this is what he means) is "for 20 minutes worth of poor actions (meaning a terrible choice on his part), everyone should remember he's got 20 plus years of positive choices". NOT that this in any way negates what he did, but I really don't think he means "action" as in the sense of "getting some action". I think he's referring to Brock's actions, not "action" as in "getting some action". I could very well be wrong, I'm just stating another possibility of what he meant, versus his terrible choice of words.

Either way, this kid received a sentence that is an embarrassment to our justice system. 6 months in jail doesn't even hold a candle to what this poor girl will have to live with the rest of her life. It's just making her a victim all over again. Sickening.

I know you're not condoning what he did...but by the same token, Websleuths probably has thousands of threads about people who committed atrocities in 20 minutes or less. It's not the length of time that matters, it's what one does in it.

i would be more sympathetic towards the father's words if the rest of the letter didnt exhibit a distinct lack of understanding of the gravity of the situation.

i get it, its his kid and he is obviously going to be concerned about him. but to mention his favorite foods and how he has lost his appetite, and all the rest of it... almost the entire thing just didnt sit well with me.

so when i go back to consider his phrasing regarding the "20 minutes of action" i am less inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I know you're not condoning what he did...but by the same token, Websleuths probably has thousands of threads about people who committed atrocities in 20 minutes or less. It's not the length of time that matters, it's what one does in it.

I agree completely - even murders take seconds to commit so his words don't make me feel an ounce of sympathy for the kid.

Forgive me as I'm extending your message beyond the context of this thread - but in general, I hope that people don't wait so long to alert appropriate authorities on something so horrible and against basic human morality.
The perpetuation of blaming the rape victim and minimizing guilt of the male, especially an "accomplished" or "affluential" one, continues. Over 20 years ago, when our daughter was raped under similar circumstances (she awoke in her own bed being sexually assaulted) at the Air Force Academy, her rapist (who admitted the assault) was finally dismissed from the Academy. Period. She was punished with walking "tours'" and restrictions because she had been drinking. All, and I mean 99% of her peers, shunned her. They were angry at her for turning him in. Strong lady, she stuck out the other 2 years and graduated anyway.
I can remember meeting with the commanding general (lower case intended!) who assured us that the rapist came from a fine family, "just like us." We had no choice about whether or not he should be charged ~ If we decided to try to punish him any further than what the Academy had, our only option was to sue him in Civil Court. After many words, tears, and prayers we decided the most profitable thing we could do is pray that the rapist will marry early and sire only daughters that he will have to worry over the rest of his life.
It appears our society has made zero progress in these 20+ years.
In my old and experienced eyes, unless both partners are eager, breathing hard and give consent ~ someone is being raped. Young, old, abused, poor, incompetent, drunk, or asleep ~ they don't need our criticism, they need our support, especially if they are brave enough to speak out!
Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky is obviously more concerned with the "severe impact" that prison will have on the felon's life than the repercussions of his "20 minutes of action" will have on his inculpable prey.
The severe impact and repercussions our entire extended family feels are evident in this post, even after so many years. Prayers to the Stanford Lady and her family!

To Brock Turner’s Father, From Another Father

I need you to understand something, and I say this as a father who dearly loves my son as much as you must love yours:​

Brock is not the victim here.

His victim is the victim.​

She is the wounded one.​

He is the damager.​

<snip>​

And to be clear, Mr. Turner, “alcohol and sexual promiscuity” are not the story here. The story here is that young men have choices to make and these choices define them, even if those choices are made when temptation is great and opportunity is abundant. In fact, our humanity is most expressed when faced with such things, we choose integrity and decency; when we abstain from doing what is easy but wrong.​

<snip>​

You love your son and you should. But love him enough to teach him to own the terrible decisions he’s made, to pay the debt to society as prescribed, and then to find a redemptive path to walk, doing the great work in the world that you say he will.​

Good gravy. I wondered about that, but I was too lazy to check it out. I guess the other shoe has dropped, and I hope that this news spreads.

I was actually trying to find his sentencing record on similar crimes, but no one seems to have explored that yet. This has white privilege written all over it. And I'm white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope I am not violating TOS, but Judge Persky is a Stanford alum and a former Stanford athlete. Why in the world was he allowed to preside over this case???

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-co...ord-sexual-assault-case-judge-behind-sentence

that connection, that they both went to stanford many years apart and were both athletes there, would not be considered evidence of bias. the connection would have to be much more direct. such as, they were both members of a society or group at stanford and had met each other, or there was some connection between the judge and the defendants parents through stanford alumni etc...

I was actually trying to find his sentencing record on similar crimes, but no one seems to have explored that yet. This has white privilege written all over it. And I'm white.

Respectfully, I don't know if race is the main issue here. Perhaps it is in play, but it's not something we talk about here. More significant, I think, is that this rapist is a glorified Stanford athlete, an Olympic prospect. I think that if he had been a star Cardinal football or basketball player, who had a Cardinal athletics alum as a judge, we might see the same result.

Believe me, I'm not ruling race or any other sort of privilege out, but I don't want to suggest that it's any one thing that saved this rapist. I think it was a confluence of privilege here -- and frankly, the main one is probably that the rapist was male.

Respectfully, I don't know if race is the main issue here. Perhaps it is in play, but it's not something we talk about here. More significant, I think, is that this rapist is a glorified Stanford athlete, an Olympic prospect. I think that if he had been a star Cardinal football or basketball player, who had a Cardinal athletics alum as a judge, we might see the same result.

Believe me, I'm not ruling race or any other sort of privilege out, but I don't want to suggest that it's any one thing that saved this rapist. I think it was a confluence of privilege here -- and frankly, the main one is probably that the rapist was male.

I completely agree that there are multiple factors. And what I meant about white privilege in this context was that the judge may have looked at the rapist and saw someone who is "just like him" and may have been more inclined to give him this huge benefit of the doubt.

that connection, that they both went to stanford many years apart and were both athletes there, would not be considered evidence of bias. the connection would have to be much more direct. such as, they were both members of a society or group at stanford and had met each other, or there was some connection between the judge and the defendants parents through stanford alumni etc...

Thanks for the information. It still seems wrong because I feel like that's the reason the judge gave him such a light sentence, I.e., he's a Stanford man and athlete, deep down he's a good guy.

Thanks for the information. It still seems wrong because I feel like that's the reason the judge gave him such a light sentence, I.e., he's a Stanford man and athlete, deep down he's a good guy.

Oh, make no mistake about it, you're right -- it's just as wrong.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back